Football Thread 2018/19

Plissken

9 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

If Chelsea or Arsenal win the Europa and finish 5th does that mean that 4th place misses out and goes to the winners or can there be five teams in the champions league?

5 teams max so Spurs would have to win the CL as well as finishing outside the top 4 to stop the fourth placed team going into the CL. Which isn’t looking likely so fourth place should be safe.

28 minutes ago, The Fox said:

Fair play to Arsenal, Man Utd and maybe Spurs for finishing behind a dogshit Chelsea team that’s been actively trying to get their manager sacked since Christmas.

I don’t think even maybe Spurs is fair, how my completely shot team missing half of its players for a good proportion of the season is testament to how bad Arsenal, Man U and maybe Chelsea have been - I mean our players have reverted to getting bans and sending off for a rest!

(talked up a 9 goal swing in the last game now haven’t 8) 

13 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I don’t think even maybe Spurs is fair, how my completely shot team missing half of its players for a good proportion of the season is testament to how bad Arsenal, Man U and maybe Chelsea have been - I mean our players have reverted to getting bans and sending off for a rest!

Yeah ok mate you’re right, you’ve been exceptional this season with your 13 defeats or whatever it is. :rolleyes:

Just now, The Fox said:

Yeah ok mate you’re right, you’ve been exceptional this season with your 13 defeats or whatever it is. :rolleyes:

We expected to fall back, your lot have somehow been worse than the last X years under Wenger, spent a fuckload of money and had a great new hope of a manager regress!

Just now, The Fox said:

I don’t really understand what your point is here, but thanks for bludgeoning my joke post to death with your inability to accept any criticism of Tottenham whatsoever.

Better than you’re inability to read I guess... I said, are you reading as in fully concentrating.... “we expected to regress”  to elaborate - due to stadium drama and lack of signings it looked tough, as was pointed out by many pundits and particularly Arsenal fans we had a ‘small club mentality’ and had we not had key injuries to Kane, Ali, Wanyama, Vertongen, Dier, Alderweireld let alone missing Son and Dembe,e leaving the regression probably wouldn’t have been so bad but it has caught up with us at the end and we are a shambles at the moment.

A shambles that somehow have snuck a top 4 spot, being critical of that would be about as sane as saying Wolves could have tried harder this season :rolleyes:

At least you have AFTV to lighten the mood!

Arsenal have 4 points more this season than they got last season.

You usually expect to need around 70 points for top 4 which is about where the teams are this season. I think it just appears worse this season because Chelsea / Man U / Tottenham / Arsenal have all been in terrible form to finish the season and because Liverpool and Man City got so many points.

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

If only there was some way of bolstering your squad before the season, or even half way through. It's hardly fair that Spurs were forced - forced - to use the same squad as last season. 

All the teams cocking up the race for the top four have their own excuses. Chelsea are locked in the noble pursuit of trying to get another manager sacked - it's what they do best, so in trying times they've gone back to basics. Man Utd had Mourinho for half the season sabotaging the club from within, and are struggling with the fundamental problem that most of the players are either shit or bellends. Poor Arsenal have Mustafi. Spurs aren't going to be allowed off the hook for their Devon Loch run-in. 

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

To be fair, it's not like anyone was going to take that title by suddenly becoming older.

No, but an older club could gain entry. It'd take a hell of a lot to reach the Football League, but Sheffield, Cray Wanderers and Hallam are all older than Notts County.

Of those, Cray are currently highest in the pyramid, having been promoted to the seventh tier this season.

2 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Spurs aren't going to be allowed off the hook for their Devon Loch run-in. 

Quite - we’ve been largely shite since March, and have somehow hung on because the others around us have contrived to be equally as bad since they caught up with us. Thinking about it, I’m struggling to think of a game where Spurs have strung together two decent halves of football in the same match all season, or more than a handful where they’ve played anything like they’re capable of. The huge injury list has definitely shown that the squad isn’t strong enough, and three or four of our key players have underperformed this season by their own standards. All in all I think they’re just knackered. Some serious upgrading is needed - if Poch gets the funds.

1 hour ago, Jammy said:

Quite - we’ve been largely shite since March, and have somehow hung on because the others around us have contrived to be equally as bad since they caught up with us. Thinking about it, I’m struggling to think of a game where Spurs have strung together two decent halves of football in the same match all season, or more than a handful where they’ve played anything like they’re capable of. The huge injury list has definitely shown that the squad isn’t strong enough, and three or four of our key players have underperformed this season by their own standards. All in all I think they’re just knackered. Some serious upgrading is needed - if Poch gets the funds.

Chelsea at home and Man Utd away are really the only two times we have played even close to the level we were two seasons ago.

16 hours ago, bum said:

According to the BBC, Sanchez has one goal and three assists in the league this season.

:lol:

Meanwhile Hazard reaches 16 goals, 15 assists, the 4th after Cantona, LeTissier and Henry to do so.

15 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

If Chelsea or Arsenal win the Europa and finish 5th does that mean that 4th place misses out and goes to the winners or can there be five teams in the champions league?

We talked about this earlier, not in that situation but you're only allowed 5 from the same country so the situation you describe CAN happen if.

An English team wins the CL

An English team wins the EL

Those teams both finish outside the top 4.

This was a possibility until Man Utd's draw yesterday.

It wasn't lost on Spurs fans who remember 2012 that Chelsea could have been 4th, Spurs 5th and Arsenal 6th, which would have chucked Chelsea out of the CL.

I'm certain Vardy is going to score for us tonight. It's all about whether we let more than one in though; hoping we don't as I'd quite like Liverpool to win it. If nothing else, it will further add to Brendan's god complex. 

Tielemans MOTM, calling it now. Vardy to get Company sent off.  

More importantly, the referee is Mike Dean; if anyone is going to make the game about him and snatch victory from Man City, it's that cheese whistle.