Jump to content

Football Thread 2018/19


Plissken
 Share

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

 

Good thing about stats is you can use them to suit your cause... Kane has scored his tally in less time and with a higher goals per min - that’s before you add shots on targets and assists so yeah but yeah, one particular stat where the clearly better player has missed loads of games and had two periods back from injury is slightly worse.

 

Add in non prem league games and all of Kane’s stats are better...

 

You are moving the goal posts. You stated that Mane is possibly the most wasteful striker in the league to back up your point that he shouldn't be in the team of the year and compared him to Son/Kane and now you want to talk about goals per minute? What does that have to do with how wasteful a player is?

 

Yes Kane has scored at a higher rate in terms of goals/min than Mane, but he also takes a lot more shots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone clearly hasn't watched much of Mane this season then and like others have said with Pogba, at the same time when voting was happening, Mane was on fire.

 

If footballers are anything like the media, they have very short term memories.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also calling Mane a striker and directly comparing him to Kane is a bit disingenuous. Kane is a #9 whereas Mane predominantly plays on the left of a front three. He also played left wing in a 4-2-3-1/4-4-2 for a sizeable chunk of this season. Stick Kane out there and see how many goals he'd get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve quite a few Liverpool games that have been on Sky or BT so have built up this picture of him being wasteful, time on the pitch and goals scored back that up - he isn’t assisting so to say he isn’t a striker is pretty silly as he is cutting in as a striker. Kane often also plays from the left, I mean he has scored pretty much from the corner flag ;) 

 

What about Son then, statistically better all round than Mane - played less so scored less but at a higher rate with better accuracy and vastly more assists.

 

Both should be in the team ahead of Mane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many games, if any, has Kane started on the left of a three ever in his career? What are you talking about? :lol:

 

Son is a much fairer comparison. And your argument is that 12 goals in 29 games is better than 18 in 32? Cool. Oh, and that the guy that has scored 41 in 88 games is much more wasteful than the guy that has scored 42 in 128 games. 

 

I wouldn't grumble if Hazard or Son had been picked there in his place, to be honest. I just took umbrage to the assertion that Mane should have been competing with Kane for that particular spot in the 'team'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder why the voting for these awards is always so far from the actual announcement, does it really take so long to work it all out? Hazard had a bit of a flat period earlier in the season that presumably accounts for his missing out even though he's been amazing for the past few weeks and more. Likewise Eriksen, thinking about it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem being of course that whoscored.com's stats and scoring systems are pretty ridiculous, particularly for defenders! 

 

Pogba aside, I don't have too much of an issue with the PFL's team.  Liverpool and City are miles above everyone else so it makes sense for the team to consist of their players.

 

Well, except the lack of Jota, Jimenez, Moutinho, Coady etc etc....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dogsout said:

How many games, if any, has Kane started on the left of a three ever in his career? What are you talking about? :lol:

 

Son is a much fairer comparison. And your argument is that 12 goals in 29 games is better than 18 in 32? Cool. Oh, and that the guy that has scored 41 in 88 games is much more wasteful than the guy that has scored 42 in 128 games. 

 

I wouldn't grumble if Hazard or Son had been picked there in his place, to be honest. I just took umbrage to the assertion that Mane should have been competing with Kane for that particular spot in the 'team'.

 

Son has been a sub a fair bit and still has a similar goals per min stat as Mane but crucially gets assists where Mane doesn’t - if he isn’t a striker and isn’t a winger what is he?

 

He scores goals and doesn’t setup goals but plays on the left, Kane assists more and isn’t always a down the middle striker - Kane and Son are statistically better players this season, it’s that simple.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Why does it bother anyone? It's a list of players voted on by other players. Its bares no real significance at all.

 

Im playing Fortnite so not working, I’m getting wound up playing it as ever and just bad timing with this thread - got a win so all good now and we can go back to the important football matter like wanting Man U to beat Chelsea!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

 

Good thing about stats is you can use them to suit your cause... Kane has scored his tally in less time and with a higher goals per min - that’s before you add shots on targets and assists so yeah but yeah, one particular stat where the clearly better player has missed loads of games and had two periods back from injury is slightly worse.

 

Add in non prem league games and all of Kane’s stats are better...

It's team of the season not who is best! Otherwise I'm voting for Alan Shearer cause he's better than Kane and has scored more goals...FFS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

It's team of the season not who is best! Otherwise I'm voting for Alan Shearer cause he's better than Kane and has scored more goals...FFS.

 

I got a second win in Fortnite so turned it off happy esp as I got a screen grab at a perfect moment in my victory dance so I should let this go but you make no sense, Shearer hasn’t played this season for a start!

 

And if it was Team of the season it would only have Man City players in it....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Why does it bother anyone? It's a list of players voted on by other players. Its bares no real significance at all.

 

I'd suggest the opinions of those voting on the PFA team are a little more qualified than anybody on here.  Like @Stigweard clearly states, it's a players player award/team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, tbb said:

Mane is great but if I were to pick either him or Son for an imaginary team I would pick Son. 

 

My Liverpool team in FIFA19's career mode has them both. 8-) 

 

And Lucas Leiva pulling the strings in midfield :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you want that, just look at each team's player of the year and make your own team.

 

Of course the two teams that are 20 points clear of everyone have most of the best players this season.  That's why they're 20 points clear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

Bolton players have gone on strike so their game against Brentford is off.  Dunno if it will get sorted or if they'll complete the season. Hopefully the PFA will sort it out given that there are only two games remaining. 

 

@Boothjan what stance are we taking in his thread about this? Shall we pretend to be upset about it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

 

@Boothjan what stance are we taking in his thread about this? Shall we pretend to be upset about it?

 

I'm delighted they're relegated, but I dunno - I don't want to see any club fold. It's very sad, I'd have been much happier to see them fall through the divisions and spend their days battling to stay in league 2 but only through mismanagement of the coaching staff!

 

But I feel sorry for fans of any club who have been fucked over by uncaring, greedy arsehole owners.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

 

I'm delighted they're relegated, but I dunno - I don't want to see any club fold. It's very sad, I'd have been much happier to see them fall through the divisions and spend their days battling to stay in league 2 but only through mismanagement of the coaching staff!

 

But I feel sorry for fans of any club who have been fucked over by uncaring, greedy arsehole owners.

 

Pretend to be upset, gotcha. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.