rllmuk
Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

They were talking about how there had been no racist abuse and how Montenegro had no history of it around the 75 minute mark.

Tbh the only time it registered with me was after we’d seen the Sterling celebration and put two and two together, then after the Rose booking. 

I mean making monkey noises at black people, I cannot believe that it would occur to anyone to even do that ever, never mind in 2019 in fucking public as a huge crowd. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so depressing. 

I’m a Liverpool fan but it’s impossible not to love Sterling right now. He’s everything you could want in a modern footballer and role model. 

• Upvote 5

Clive probably should have proof read this and not shortened Montenegro in order to save characters...

He's getting pelters for this - not often I stick up for him as I think he's the worst commentator on TV but FFS it's quite clearly unintentional!

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

Clive probably should have proof read this and not shortened Montenegro in order to save characters...

He's getting pelters for this - not often I stick up for him as I think he's the worst commentator on TV but FFS it's quite clearly unintentional!

wussup m'negro!

It's hard to let the phrase "lads, it's Georgia" out of your mind, but this is much better than Saturday and much of the end of O'Neill's reign. It's still not brilliant and they haven't turned into England overnight, but Ireland are showing a lot more attacking intent and willingness to try to keep the ball low. As a result, Georgia aren't going to give Harry Arter the feeling that he's just played Man City, as he said was the case for the last outing.

Of course, Arter isn't on the field.

Anyway, Hourihane should really have squared for Brady in the first ten minutes but I can see why he took the shot on with only the keeper really to beat. His goal was a terrific free kick even after the tennis balls thrown onto the pitch in protest at John Delaney. McGoldrick did well to win that free kick and I've liked what I've seen a few times for him, showing some nice control to bring the ball out of the air where Ireland still haven't completely stopped living. Georgia will still pose a threat, as they did in the dying minutes of the half when Randolph made an excellent stop from Gvilia, but that move aside they haven't really threatened whereas Ireland have looked a lot stronger.

A lot stronger. I don't think I've said that since Moldova. Shame that includes Saturday, though.

• Upvote 2

Good half all right, thought McGoldrick and Coleman were excellent. We should be more than one up but we were lucky not to concede right at the end only a good save from Randolph kept it 1-0. It was a million miles from any late-period O'Neill performance. 

A better first half than the second but I think the worst part of that whole thing was the scoreline, rather than the play on the pitch. Could have been all different if Georgia had scored rather than hit the post with that speculative strike, and they had a couple of other chances, but as I said above the attitude and general play have been better than we've seen recently. I think if Ireland had got the second, the game would have been comfortable. At 1-0, memories of recent past haunt you.

How it'll stack up against Switzerland and Denmark is anyone's guess but I'd wager unfavourably. The Swiss threw away a 3-0 lead with seven minutes remaining against Denmark, but I dunno if that's good or not. I'd perhaps rather a runaway leader from those two.

Made his debut in the same game as Ronaldo and has to be one of the best free kick takers I’ve ever seen. It’s also a reminder how great Inter Milan kits were in the 00s.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Boothjan said:

My mate managed to get me a ticket for the semi final just now.

I owe him a LOT of beer.

Cannot fucking wait!!

Mate, that's amazing congratulations!  It's going to be such a good day.  Cannot wait.

Expecting a weak team against United?

23 hours ago, Plissken said:

Not sure that they couldn’t give it to him.

Equally not sure that they should have.

I think now Zidane has taken the Madrid job United don't have to worry too much about Pochettino suddenly becoming unavailable. He gets his season in the new White Hart Lane, Solskjaer is expendable if things don't work out and everybody is happy in the short term. It seems perfectly sensible to me.  

I did like Simon Jordan's way of describing the appointment of OGS - he called it an 'unavoidable mistake'  - totally get why they've done it and I'm in the camp of not being convinced that longer term it's the right thing to do.

When he took over on a temp basis Utd were an unacceptable 19 points behind Liverpool, which was too much to stand, they now sit a far more respectable 18 points behind. 

I wonder how long the feel good of him simply not being Jose and saying 'this is Utd' 'this is what we did in '99' etc will last or be effective.

They may have structured the contract to not make it that expensive to get rid of him, the cost is more one of treading water or not moving forward if he's the wrong person for the job.

30 minutes ago, Gotters said:

When he took over on a temp basis Utd were an unacceptable 19 points behind Liverpool, which was too much to stand, they now sit a far more respectable 18 points behind. 

So in the first 17 games they scored 26 points, to Liverpool's 45.

In the next 13 games, they've scored 32 points, to Liverpool's 31 out of 14 games.

Obvious troll is obvious.

• Upvote 9

Yeah, the comparison to Liverpool weirdly implies that Solskjaer hasn't improved anything. He's arrested the decline!

0H3Yj0I.png

Man Utd have the best record in the league since his appointment. He was never going to be tasked with winning the league or making up ground on Liverpool and Man City, but he would be judged against how the side are performing against Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Next season, he can be compared with Klopp and Guardiola. And like the naysayers, I do doubt he'll stand the pace. But I don't see him being any worse than the three that have gone before.

He's the Mick McCarthy appointment. A change in atmosphere that might not work out long term, but at least it won't be utter shite to watch.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I wonder how long the feel good of him simply not being Jose and saying 'this is Utd' 'this is what we did in '99' etc will last or be effective.

feels a bit rough to suggest that this is all he's doing! I would've thought that effect has already more or less worn off, but they're still going well. Of course there's gonna be a dip at some point because all teams have that, it will be interesting to see how long it lasts when it comes and what he does about it.