Football Thread 2018/19

Plissken

1 hour ago, Naysonymous said:

Adam Johnson has been released from prison today.  It will be interesting to see what happens with him next, presumably he will try to get a pre season in somewhere and look for a club.  I wonder who will take him. Someone will, won't they? 

It's an odd situation as Luke McCormick (ex-Plymouth Argyle keeper) and Marcos Alonso have continued their careers and they've both killed someone. Is that not worse than Adam Johnson's conviction? 

On the bright side it's fucking brilliant being an England fan at the moment. After winning trophies being able to get excited about the future is the best thing about football and this squad is great. So many likeable players, so much strength in depth. We've already moved on from the team who did so well at the World Cup. Iceland feels like it happened a million years ago.  

Montserrat won 2-1 to move into 7th in the table, but there are eight teams that could catch them when they play tomorrow or Sunday. It'll be a long wait.

There are six matches involving the teams below them who could leapfrog into contention. Two of the matches have relevant teams playing each other in Guyana - Belize and Dominican Republic - Bermuda, while both St Kitts and Nicaragua play lower ranked teams. El Salvador and French Guiana have the toughests tasks, playing Jamaica and Canada respectively.

13 hours ago, Azrael said:

It's an odd situation as Luke McCormick (ex-Plymouth Argyle keeper) and Marcos Alonso have continued their careers and they've both killed someone. Is that not worse than Adam Johnson's conviction? 

McCormick's was an accident. A stupid, stupid thing to have done and it destroyed lives but it wasn't predatory, pre-meditated and a crime that should mean that Adam Johnson never works with children - footballers work in an environment with youth teams.

I know Luke vaguely and he's always regretted what happened. He donated half his wages when he returned to Plymouth Argyle after his sentence was served to charities. He also did a lot of out of hours work (unpaid) with the various youth teams at the club. It's a really sad story.

Alonso I wasn't aware of.

Ched Evans is playing for Fleetwood.  

Rehabilitation is the aim of the prison system, isn't it? Adam Johnson should be given the chance to prove he is rehabilitated and be allowed to rejoin society.

I don't think playing for a football club will involve regularly unsupervised contact with young girls but if there is any danger of that then obviously something needs to be done to remove that risk. If that means not being employed by a football club then so be it.

58 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Rehabilitation is the aim of the prison system, isn't it? Adam Johnson should be given the chance to prove he is rehabilitated and be allowed to rejoin society.

I don't think playing for a football club will involve regularly unsupervised contact with young girls but if there is any danger of that then obviously something needs to be done to remove that risk. If that means not being employed by a football club then so be it.

Agree on part one. I think any club is going to struggle with PR etc. if they do give Johnson an opportunity to play again. There should be safeguarding at all clubs who train children and I'll be amazed if that safeguarding policy doesn't simply stop any contract before it even begins to be written. He's obviously a risk and the risk isn't worth it.  I have no idea if he'll ever re-offend but the risk is there. I think most clubs will just consider the risk being too high.

Reading the transcript is pretty damning actually. It wasn't a case of some guy with an underage groupie who just happened to be in a position by chance.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/r-v-johnson-sentencing.pdf

It was prolonged and predatory and he knew what he was doing.

So gutting that I won't get a ticket for the semi final. Tickets went on sale this morning so my Facebook and Twitter feeds are full of friends who are more excited than kids on Christmas eve. 

It's not unfair or anything - our loyalty system is as fair as can be. My personal situation means I can't get a season ticket and membership doesn't help (I'm a single dad 50% of the time, my daughter has no interest so it wouldn't be fair to drag her along so I have to make do with occasional generosity from friends who can't make certain games).

Why couldn't we have been good when I was able to go?! Ah well,TV it is. 

I forgot the England match was on yesterday so I've only just seen the goals. A decent result and a good start to a qualifying stage. 

Scotland :lol:

Gibraltar vs Ireland today at 5pm. That'll be interesting as Ireland don't score enough. Could Gib nick a point?  I'm assuming they're playing in Portugal again though so it isn't a home game.

No, they're playing at the Victoria Stadium in Gibraltar. I'm hoping Ireland's lack of goals won't be a problem against minnows but you never really know - the four strikers in the squad have 14 caps and one goal between them. Of the entire squad, only James McClean, Glenn Whelan, Robbie Brady and Shane Duffy have ever scored more than once.

It's also the sort of game where you can't really learn anything about how McCarthy will set out to play, as the onus will be entirely on Ireland to attack. The Georgia game on Tuesday will be more telling in that regard, an home match against a side who have troubled Ireland and played better football against them in recent campaigns. 

The squad is weak, weaker than anything O'Neill had to cope with, but front line aside the starting eleven McCarthy is likely to pick has plenty of Premier League experience, and the forward line regularly play against stronger opponents than Gibraltar. But there's that home advantage, the sense of occasion with it being the first genuinely home qualifier for the team, the conditions at the match, there's a lot that can go wrong, and anything other than a comfortable win would immediately have questions asked.

3 hours ago, Adrock said:

Indeed, he will have release conditions and be on the sex offenders register again with conditions so he should be free to do any work he can get within those conditions. His main issue will be that he is unemployable by any club that cares about PR or fan opinion you would imagine.

Perhaps the best thing to take from that, aside from the essential three points, was McCarthy thought it was a horrible game in which they didn't play well. The feeling is that O'Neill would probably have extolled the virtues of the clean sheet.

Still, no mistake that it was a bad game, a bad performance and there's a lot of work to do.

I watched the Gib vs Ireland game in the social club after the Plymouth Argyle vs Bristol Rovers game and predicted a draw.  How close was that Mick McCarthy.  The pitch was very strange - it looked like a snooker table. Gibraltar parked the bus (obviously) and they weren't adverse to outright cheating at times but Ireland were woeful. 

Ireland really need to find a goalscoring centre forward from somewhere. 

Adam Idah and Troy Parrott are showing a bit of promise in the youth squads. 18 and 17 respectively, they're both in the U21s and were regular scorers in the ongoing U19 campaign for which Ireland qualified yesterday with a game to spare. Parrott's picked up an injury so won't play against Luxembourg today in Stephen Kenny's first game in chage of the U21 side.

But yeah, strikers are badly needed, as are the other creative players who will give them chances. Ireland are suffering from an overreliance on the English clubs to do their development work for them, something that was fine twenty years ago but with the global market that exists now, is just doomed to failure.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I watched the Gib vs Ireland game in the social club after the Plymouth Argyle vs Bristol Rovers game and predicted a draw.  How close was that Mick McCarthy.  The pitch was very strange - it looked like a snooker table. Gibraltar parked the bus (obviously) and they weren't adverse to outright cheating at times but Ireland were woeful. 

Ireland really need to find a goalscoring centre forward from somewhere. 

Artificial turf innit. 

33 minutes ago, tbb said:

Artificial turf innit. 

Yes but considering there are other artificial pitches in the competition, the Gib pitch just looked more like a tennis court painted green. They could quite easily have a grass pitch if they wanted one.

That Gibraltar pitch was the worst I had ever seen Celtic play on, it seemed more like the overflow car park for the local airport had been sealed off for a kickabout. 

I just saw a few of what must be the Portugal u19 squad looking frozen to the bone on a very cold and windy Argyle Street. 

Bad haircuts man. 

Meanwhile San Marino will be disappointed not to be winning against Scotland.