rllmuk
Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

It's pretty shit news but I'm trying to look on the brightside by pretending to myself that this will mean I'll spend less time watching football this season. I'm not sure I'm strong enough to resist the urge to waste even more time trawling the web for streams and highlights, though. 

8 hours ago, ryodi said:

BT Sport have lost Ligue 1 as well by the looks of it.

Which leaves them with just the Champions League, Europa League, 50? Premier League games and the Bundesliga all for more money that last season, I'm seriously considering cancelling at this point because their app is terrible and not even available on consoles and Serie A was the only European league I was really interested in and they've lost that as well.

They are increasing broadband by £2.50 across the board as well regardless of if you've got BT Sport.

October/November Sky games out and Cardiff are on once - at home again so thats 4 televised games in the first 4 months of the season and none of them away. Was looking forward to watching us in the pub at least once before Christmas especially as I can't get a ticket for Saturday at Bournemouth.

The fragmentation of football rights is so annoying. Currently paying for Sky, BT and Premier Sports. It all adds up. 

And it’s only going to get to get worse with the online giants snooping around too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fragmentation of tv rights though in a single country is an EU ruling isn’t it.

The prem can’t all be on a single channel.

The foreign rights I suspect are very niche from an audience perspective -  can’t see French, German, Spanish or Italian league games driving subscriber numbers much in the UK.

Looks like Pogba's agent wants some cash what with Xmas coming.

Reports/rumours are that Pogba wants either a move to Barcelona or a £200k a week pay rise. He's on £180k but wants £380k a week. 

I'd say ditch him. He isn't a World star on the level of Messi, Ronaldo or even Griezman. Pogba's 25 and already made for life. Wage demands just seem insane - is there that much difference to your lifestyle if you earn £180k a week or £380k a week. Just typing that is lunacy. When Shearer moved to Newcastle on £50k a week, everyone thought that was mad but these guys are earning that a day now alongside their massive sponsorship deals. The demands are apparently because Sanchez is on £380k a week. If that is true, that really is mad as he has hardly scored for Man Utd. Ronaldo and Messi are 50 goal a season players, Sanchez will struggle to get 20 this season.

• Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, neoELITE said:

Looks like Pogba's agent wants some cash what with Xmas coming.

Reports/rumours are that Pogba wants either a move to Barcelona or a £200k a week pay rise. He's on £180k but wants £380k a week. 

I'd say ditch him. He isn't a World star on the level of Messi, Ronaldo or even Griezman. Pogba's 25 and already made for life. Wage demands just seem insane - is there that much difference to your lifestyle if you earn £180k a week or £380k a week. Just typing that is lunacy. When Shearer moved to Newcastle on £50k a week, everyone thought that was mad but these guys are earning that a day now alongside their massive sponsorship deals. The demands are apparently because Sanchez is on £380k a week. If that is true, that really is mad as he has hardly scored for Man Utd. Ronaldo and Messi are 50 goal a season players, Sanchez will struggle to get 20 this season.

Apparently that's not true.

FoolhardyPreciousDassie.gif

Really good signing for Wolves and we got decent money off him too, even if Villa are taking a slice of it. I don't know how many more years we will talk about his "potential" though, he needs to start living up to the hype rather than being seen as a one-trick pony.

• Upvote 1

Hope you guys can do something with Adama. I was really excited when he came to Villa, tho it was clear he was the rawest of the raw and needed some serious coaching (never gonna happen under Tim 'tactics' Sherwood. 

Then he got the fuck kicked out of him at Notts County and fell in to the quagmire that was that ridiculous relegation season.

By all accounts he's improved at Boro but still needs a lot of work on his end product.

Oh and thanks for the few million on the sell-on clause, that's gonna help.

• Upvote 1

Traore will have more creativity around him for a start, and hopefully the way we create space will mean we can unleash his ridiculous pace which can really hurt teams.

I absolutely agree that he needs coaching to turn the potential into proven quality, but the coaches he's had in his career in England have been Tim Sherwood, Remi Garde, Roberto Di Matteo, Aitor Karanka, Garry Monk and Tony Pulis.  Hardly the best list to get the best out of a speed merchant who needs to be part of an attacking side.

Nuno turned Conor Coady from a midtable Championship clogger in central midfield who couldn't trap a bag of cement into a Premier League quality centre half who sprays 60 yard passes to either flank on a whim multiple times each game.  He also turned Matt Doherty into something resembling a footballer.

On that basis alone, I think it's a good move for Traore.

• Upvote 1

I think Traore is a great signing for Wolves. I've been hoping Liverpool sign him (admittedly for depth) for a couple of years now. Although he's obviously raw, I reckon an attack-minded coach will play to his strengths and he could turn out to be one of those players that just lights the league up straight away, rather than needing loads of time to be polished. I was pretty annoyed when I saw Wolves signed him, anyway. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, the_debaser said:

The fragmentation of football rights is so annoying. Currently paying for Sky, BT and Premier Sports. It all adds up. 

And it’s only going to get to get worse with the online giants snooping around too. 

I think you will find it’s good for competition and cheaper than it ever was when Sky has the monopoly, that’s how they sold it at the time so it must be true...

If Virgin didn’t give BT Sports free I wouldn’t pay for any football these days, it’s a fucking joke how it’s setup and the price it costs to generally have games on you don’t care about - yay for competition and fairness :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I think you will find it’s good for competition and cheaper than it ever was when Sky has the monopoly, that’s how they sold it at the time so it must be true...

If Virgin didn’t give BT Sports free I wouldn’t pay for any football these days, it’s a fucking joke how it’s setup and the price it costs to generally have games on you don’t care about - yay for competition and fairness :facepalm:

It's good for competition if it didn't fucking mean exclusivity. The platform needs to be separate from the content provider and matches have to be shown on more than one channel. 

12 minutes ago, SMD said:

It's good for competition if it didn't fucking mean exclusivity. The platform needs to be separate from the content provider and matches have to be shown on more than one channel. 

Yep spot on, competition should mean I can pick what matches I want to watch and chose between Sky/BT/Amazon to host them - a lot of my football watching comes down to the days I’m able to watch it and it’s usually West Ham vs Everton or similar games that outside of fans and end of season relegation battles I wouldn’t chose to watch - I genuinely think Championship games are a better watch than a lot of Prem league games with two sides aiming not to lose :( 

The more I type the greater my inclination to cancel the lot but I’ve been there and I a,ways come back because I’m an idiot.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Plissken said:

Burnley have got three live matches before the end of November.  Wolves and Cardiff away and Newcastle at home.  Sky and BT not even pretending to care any more.

Not that I like getting games moved all over the place, but I was expecting to be able to watch couple of away games on Sky. I'd have thought teams at home playing the favourites for relegation might have been an attractive prospect with the added drama that one of Warnock's thugs will cynically try and maim a world class superstar within minutes of the game starting.

Are clubs able to beam back non-televised games to their own grounds anymore. Suspect we would have got a lot of take-up Saturday if we could televise the game back at home.

22 minutes ago, Revival said:

Exclusive picture of Thibault Courtois having his medical at Real Madrid...

tibsnake.png.58cdf8a3d8264ad00c4eb0c8b105be05.png

Didn't he do similar when he wanted to move to Chelsea? 

The BT thing I suspect is down to the change in Chief Exec. The guy who was big into buying up sport rights was pushed out and the investors want them to spend less on that.

BT's coverage of Scottish football is excellent, I was hoping they would get the full package next time as Sky are terrible.

• Upvote 1