Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

53 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Benitez is a vastly overrated manager who is a master at deflecting the blame.  He's a classless buffoon, has no idea about sportsmanship or respecting his opponents.  I can't abide the man.

Of course, it doesn't change the fact that Mike Ashley is a parasite, but I have never understood why Benitez gets so little blame for some of the dreadful stuff Newcastle play.  Some of his players appear to have absolutely no motivation whatsoever, he's tactically inept, he also plays some of the most soul destroyingly negative nonsense I've ever seen in the Premier League.

Have you never seen a Tony Pullis or Sam Allerdyce team play? He plays negatively because he knows that the strength of the squad he has. Just look at the GD between Newcaslte and the clubs around them. They finished 10th last season because their GD was better than 11th and 12th. They conceeded less goals than Arseanl last season. It's worth a point when you're that low down the league.

When he had a great attacking team with Liverpool he let them play and exprese themselves, but I'll admit sometimes he was too negative at times.  Between 2000 and 2009 he was in the top tier managers in the world but I do think the game is probably passing him by though and he is too stubborn to change.

4 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Benitez is a vastly overrated manager who is a master at deflecting the blame.  He's a classless buffoon, has no idea about sportsmanship or respecting his opponents.  I can't abide the man.

Of course, it doesn't change the fact that Mike Ashley is a parasite, but I have never understood why Benitez gets so little blame for some of the dreadful stuff Newcastle play.  Some of his players appear to have absolutely no motivation whatsoever, he's tactically inept, he also plays some of the most soul destroyingly negative nonsense I've ever seen in the Premier League.

You never watched United while Mourinho was at the helm then?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

You never watched United while Mourinho was at the helm then?

Yes, but we weren't talking about Mourinho... ;)

Or Pulis or Sam 'Count of Monte Bistro' Allardyce either!

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Yeah, well said. He's the master at using the fans too and they all fall for it. In Rafa, you can trust to fu*k it all up and spiral the wage bill while he's at it. 

• Downvote 2

Wagner gone by mutual consent.

Dean Hoyle:

“I’d like to begin by thanking David for all he has achieved at Huddersfield Town over the last three-and-a-half years. Under his stewardship, we’ve achieved things on the football pitch that surpass anything in modern memory, and that have gone well beyond my wildest expectations as Chairman and as a fan.

Under David’s management, we took this Club to the highest position it has held in almost 50 years and created memories that will last forever.

His achievements will rightly put him up there in Huddersfield Town history alongside great names like Herbert Chapman and Mick Buxton; legendary managers who changed the face of this Club.

As I had said previously, I had no intention of sacking David this season. Subsequently David – being the great man he is – came to us and made it clear that he needs a break from the rigours of football management.

We discussed making that change immediately, but he also made it clear that he would give his all for the rest of this season before departing in the summer if we preferred. After a long discussion we all felt that David staying at the Club until the end of the season was best, but we’ve kept discussions open and we all now feel that the time is right to part ways.

I know the term ‘mutual consent’ is often a byword for the manager being sacked in professional football, but this is a truly joint decision. David has a real, genuine love for this Club and, like me, his foremost concern in our talks has been to establish what is best for Huddersfield Town.

I cannot thank David enough for what he has achieved. Along with his family, he will always be a friend to me and Huddersfield Town.”

:(

• Upvote 4

I find the hatred of Rafa completely ridiculous and I'm guessing is a legacy of his time at Liverpool. But he's done a great job at Newcastle and kept a Championship side in the Premiership and is smart enough to know avoiding thrashings is something you have to do stay up even if it means playing unexciting football. When he leaves Newcastle at the end of this season I don't think he'll have any trouble getting a new job.

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Wagner gone by mutual consent.

Dean Hoyle:

“I’d like to begin by thanking David for all he has achieved at Huddersfield Town over the last three-and-a-half years. Under his stewardship, we’ve achieved things on the football pitch that surpass anything in modern memory, and that have gone well beyond my wildest expectations as Chairman and as a fan.

Under David’s management, we took this Club to the highest position it has held in almost 50 years and created memories that will last forever.

His achievements will rightly put him up there in Huddersfield Town history alongside great names like Herbert Chapman and Mick Buxton; legendary managers who changed the face of this Club.

As I had said previously, I had no intention of sacking David this season. Subsequently David – being the great man he is – came to us and made it clear that he needs a break from the rigours of football management.

We discussed making that change immediately, but he also made it clear that he would give his all for the rest of this season before departing in the summer if we preferred. After a long discussion we all felt that David staying at the Club until the end of the season was best, but we’ve kept discussions open and we all now feel that the time is right to part ways.

I know the term ‘mutual consent’ is often a byword for the manager being sacked in professional football, but this is a truly joint decision. David has a real, genuine love for this Club and, like me, his foremost concern in our talks has been to establish what is best for Huddersfield Town.

I cannot thank David enough for what he has achieved. Along with his family, he will always be a friend to me and Huddersfield Town.”

:(

Not surprised tbh, I think Wagner's stock is still high enough for him to get another job and I'm not sure anybody could save Huddersfield with the squad they have. Getting them up and keeping them up was overachivement.  Something had to change though, even if it's just a case of the board being seen to be doing something. 

They played some brilliant stuff last season (as a United fan I would know), but it's hard to work miracles two seasons in a row. He's obviously an incredibly talented coach and I look forward to seeing whatever he does next.

51 minutes ago, ryodi said:

When he leaves Newcastle at the end of this season I don't think he'll have any trouble getting a new job.

Well obviously not, his CV still speaks for itself. The only reason he went to Newcastle in the first place was because he needs to be as close as possible to his family on the Wirral. And it's not even that close, IIRC he goes back via helicopter when he's not working. Hey, maybe he should take the Huddersfield job?

37 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Both were sendings off, yes.

Kompanys got a yellow, but should have been a red. Kompanys was also worse than that IMO, he had both feet off the ground and hardly got any of the ball.

• Empathy 1

Sky just showed three replays of the penalty which Sterling just won. Not sure they could’ve picked three worse angles to look at the challenge from as none were remotely conclusive. 

14 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Kompanys got a yellow, but should have been a red. Kompanys was also worse than that IMO, he had both feet off the groud and hardly got any of the ball.

Pogba should have been sent of yesterday - one out of three correct is still one right ehh :( 

No complaints from me on either Boly's sending off or the penalty. Shame, but both fair enough.

City looking really composed and using their numerical advantage well. Ah well! 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Sky just showed three replays of the penalty which Sterling just won. Not sure they could’ve picked three worse angles to look at the challenge from as none were remotely conclusive. 

Almost every angle I've seen shows him catching his leg, pretty clear. If you're not sure watch Bennett rather than Sterling, you can see he makes a challenge nowhere near the ball and stops dead due to the fact that in his challenge all he got anything of was Sterling, who did seem to drag a foot a little for effect after the event. Needless given a combo of him being ridiculously swift and Bennett being as quick as setting concrete made it look like I was watching in fast forward. Awful defending, but also good attacking determination to nip round like that. 

4 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

No complaints from me on either Boly's sending off or the penalty. Shame, but both fair enough.

City looking really composed and using their numerical advantage well. Ah well! 

Yep, disappointing from Boly and Bennett but I guess they were trying to make a game of it. 

35 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Kompany should have been sent off but just because he wasn't doesn't mean Boly shouldn't have been. 

Where did I say that? They're both reds. What I'm complaining about it the inconsistency in officials once again. Kompanys red at 0-0 is a massive game changer and he should have walked. I know its done now and it's crying over spilt milk but it's frustrating how such obviously desicions aren't given.

4 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Man City's support is fucking embarrassing. Can't believe how quiet it is.

Yeah, but Monday night, game is won, against a mid table side, not a rival in any sense, I can understand it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Yeah, but Monday night, game is won, against a mid table side, not a rival in any sense, I can understand it. 

It was like this at 0-0!!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Man City's support is fucking embarrassing. Can't believe how quiet it is.

What you talking about? I clearly heard them all asking if this was the library... 

• Empathy 1