Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

I wonder if City will be stripped of any titles, and forced to hand back prize money, when they are found to have been cheating the FFP.

5 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

I wonder if City will be stripped of any titles, and forced to hand back prize money, when they are found to have been cheating the FFP.

No

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

Man city humiliate a lower league team.

Stay classy.

15 minutes ago, Dinobot said:

vFXgT3PiFGFU8oAGAlXObeeq9InfqQ7rQjHuzWe0

• Upvote 8

10 hours ago, Dinobot said:

They never will be as they are richer than UEFA and will just keep the case tied up in court forever until legal fees make a significant drain on UEFA's funds. 

To be Juventus' 2nd highest paid player like Ramsey you only have to be on £140,000 a week? This seems odd because I've been watching Sunderland Till I Die...Rodwell was on £70,000 a week from 2014...then in the Championship doing nothing earning £70k a week while Dybala was being one of the best young footballers in the world winning multiple titles for the most successful team in Italy. According to an article in August 2018 which confirmed the annual wages, Dybala is on 5.5m euros a year....£95,000 a week. :o nooo surely not. Highest wage bill in Italy though ! Ronaldo on £522,000 a week...

i mean i knew what was it QPR had a higher wage bill than Athletico Madrid but. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dinobot said:

FFP is bullshit. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

To be Juventus' 2nd highest paid player like Ramsey you only have to be on £140,000 a week? This seems odd because I've been watching Sunderland Till I Die...Rodwell was on £70,000 a week from 2014...then in the Championship doing nothing earning £70k a week while Dybala was being one of the best young footballers in the world winning multiple titles for the most successful team in Italy. According to an article in August 2018 which confirmed the annual wages, Dybala is on 5.5m euros a year....£95,000 a week. :o nooo surely not. Highest wage bill in Italy though ! Ronaldo on £522,000 a week...

i mean i knew what was it QPR had a higher wage bill than Athletico Madrid but. 

Sunderland have, for the last few years, appeared to be a rotten, corrupt organisation. Look how they handled Adam Johnson. Despicable.

I wouldn't base anything off them. Who knows how that £70k figure got plopped on Rodwell. Perhaps there were kickbacks for all involved.

Standard recruitment consultants get what, 20% of annual salary? And football agents easily get more.

70k a week eqautes to about short of £4m a year - so someone has pocketed easy money. No doubt it was spread around, perhaps even in club.

This sort of thing is everywhere. Look at Big Sam "I was just helping out my mate". He was annoyed he got caught, he doesn't believe it was right at all.

That's what you're dealing with. Institutionalised corruption - led all by FIFA. 

• Upvote 1

Wow, this I didn't realise.

An internal email sent by City lawyer Simon Cliff recalled an exchange between Al Mubarak and Infantino, the documents showed.

“Khaldoon said he would rather spend 30 million on the 50 best lawyers in the world to sue them for the next 10 years,” Cliff wrote, adding that this was a chance “to avoid the destruction of their rules and organization.”

Among other internal correspondence from City published by Spiegel, Cliff said “UEFA doesn’t respond to anything other than aggression” and a lawsuit against auditor PriceWaterhouseCoopers “could destroy the entire organization within weeks.”

“If PWC was under threat, you could then imagine them suing UEFA for damages and, if they collapsed, all their creditors suing UEFA too,” Cliff wrote.

City eventually signed the settlement agreement in May 2014, the day UEFA’s lead investigator died. Informed of the former Belgian prime minister’s death, Cliff told a colleague “1 down, 6 to go.”

There is nothing quite like showing pleasure at someone dying. Wonderful stuff, a fairy tale indeed.

I can't believe I've seen posts on here - and on Twitter - complaining about City trying to score more goals :lol:

If only Burton would have scored right at the end - might have made that 2nd leg a bit more interesting....

52 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Aye, as much as I dislike City, their job is to win by scoring goals. 

Yeah wait till Saturday when Liverpool put out a team even in price to Brighton’s to “stay classy”. 

• Downvote 1
  • Empathy 1

If they'd put out a full team they could have got 10.

#PepOut

I did quite like that the women's team got about 80% of the goals of the men's team.  There's an equal pay joke here somewhere.

Tbf I did think it tiptoed into being humiliation, but then Burton shouldn’t have  given up like they seemed to do. Wigan beat them 1-0 last year in the FA Cup so it’s not inevitable that they have to drub every side from outside the prem.

2 hours ago, dizogg said:

Tbf I did think it tiptoed into being humiliation, but then Burton shouldn’t have  given up like they seemed to do. Wigan beat them 1-0 last year in the FA Cup so it’s not inevitable that they have to drub every side from outside the prem.

Shots

Wigan 4

Man City 29

Man City 28

Burton 4

Possession

Wigan 18 - 82 Man City

Man City 74 - 26 Burton

I know stats don't tell all but there wasn't that much in it.

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

They do, are you thinking of the Football League playoffs?

In the League Cup this year away goals do not count. The commentator said it in the Tottenham vs Chelsea match anyway.

14.5 In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game no extra time shall be played and the tie shall be decided by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with procedures as approved by IFAB.

Taken from https://www.efl.com/carabao-cup/about-the-carabao-cup/carabao-cup-rules--regulations/

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Timmo said:

Shots

Wigan 4

Man City 29

Man City 28

Burton 4

Possession

Wigan 18 - 82 Man City

Man City 74 - 26 Burton

I know stats don't tell all but there wasn't that much in it.

:lol:

Well clearly as there was a 10 goal swing those stats don’t tell fuck all? Come on mate, use your brain. 

Obviously Wigan didn’t dominate possession or the game, but they kept a clean sheet AND managed to score on the break. Burton did neither and crumbled. They didn’t have a plan at all. (Obviously they are an inferior side to Wigan, but still)

Kelly Cates earning her corn here on sky with the most beige anodyne pairing possible of Jamie Redknapp & Alex Scott (I believe she is meant to be the female Rednapp) & the mumbling monosyllabic Wilshire (hope his agent isn't expecting a lot of pundit cheques once the footy wages dry up).

Both Rednapp & Scott use an awful lot of words whilst rarely ever offering an actual opinion or view of any interest whatsoever.

14 hours ago, dizogg said:

:lol:

Well clearly as there was a 10 goal swing those stats don’t tell fuck all? Come on mate, use your brain. 

Obviously Wigan didn’t dominate possession or the game, but they kept a clean sheet AND managed to score on the break. Burton did neither and crumbled. They didn’t have a plan at all. (Obviously they are an inferior side to Wigan, but still)

Admittedly I didn't make my point very well!

My point is that Wigan got extremely lucky on that day and if you watch Burton they didn't actually do that much wrong and the score could easily have been much lower. I just thought it was very unfair to suggest they gave up.

Can’t see why Klopp persists with Henderson. He offers Liverpool nothing apart from slowing the game down, getting in the way of other players and taking no risks whatsoever. 

Keita has been iffy recently, Milner is going through a poor run of form and a few little injuries.

There aren't many other options when Fabinho, who has been the best of them, is needed at the back due to injury.

One cracking finish, two own goals, one off the post, one off the bar and some suicidal defending.

The opening half at Turf Moor has not been without incident.

Ryan Sessegnon looks like a lovely player. Dwight McNeil is sparkling.