Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

Absolutely delighted - a far better 2nd half and we deserved that. Great victory.

Hoping we get a kinder draw for the 4th round as I really would love a cup run this season. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I think they’d be quite happy to go out to be honest. 

Klopp has to be expected to win something this year. If they screw up their next game in the league (Brighton away on Saturday - not easy) then they’ll rue this missed opportunity. 

11 hours ago, Dinobot said:

In other news, who do Wolves fans think they'll like in the fourth round draw?

Liverpool. 

Dearth in strength.

Just now, the_debaser said:

Klopp has to be expected to win something this year. If they screw up their next game in the league (Brighton away on Saturday - not easy) then they’ll rue this missed opportunity. 

I'm finding it increasingly funny that he could conceivably leave Liverpool without winning anything

here we go...

[edit]

Arsenal v Manchester United

Crystal Palace v Tottenham

sounds like FA Cup semis of old...

• Upvote 1

I expect there are a couple thousand Barnet fans cursing the TV. Imagine having Arsenal, Spurs, Man City and Man Utd left and you get Brentford at home.

42 minutes ago, humdrum said:

What he fuck is wrong with Paul Ince, I can hardly understand what he is saying.

Chips, pies, milkshake.

BTW how utterly appalling was Daniel Sturridge last night?  I've seen Gary Madine pose more of a threat.  He clearly didn't give a flying fuck - he was absolutely disgraceful.

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

BTW how utterly appalling was Daniel Sturridge last night?  I've seen Gary Madine pose more of a threat.  He clearly didn't give a flying fuck - he was absolutely disgraceful.

Tbf our midfield was non-existent for most of the game, he hardly had great service.

some strikers just need service, whereas others are a bit more self sufficient - always thought Sturridge was the sort that is nothing without creators behind him playing him in a lot

this table throws up some interesting info - you really wonder what Harry Kane would do in a team that didn't just play him every week, but set him up even more than Spurs do.

I think you're being too kind to Sturridge @Gotters, earlier in the season he was a willing runner and was working more than he had ever done in his Liverpool career. Last night he reverted back to his normal self.

I also don't think you can excuse him because of the midfield @dizogg, Klopp's way of playing demands work from the entire team. He probably made a mistake in choosing Origi and Sturridge up top because neither is going to do the dirty work required. But then also Moreno and Camacho weren't really doing much to help by bombing forward at every single opportunity in the first half, which meant Milner essentially ended up in a back 3 with Shaqiri and Keita swamped by Wolves players. The first half was a tactical failure exacerbated by some terrible individual performances.

Alan Shearer got it bang on at half time when he lambasted him.  He was a disgrace - a complete lack of effort which can't be excused by unfamiliar team mates etc etc.  There was no attempt whatsoever to get into the game, to get close to Boly/Coady/Bennett, to anticipate any flick ons etc etc.  Just a lame, pathetic excuse of a performance.  TBH I was gutted when he was subbed as it meant we were playing against 11 men finally.

Shearer seemed genuinely offended by Sturridge's (non)efforts, like he had brought shame upon the honourable striking profession.

1 hour ago, Stagger Lee said:

Probably not enough stamping and elbowing for his liking either.

Or scoring 260 Premier League goals or 379 career goals in total in an 18 year career. I think Shearer is well qualified to judge a striker.

The entire Liverpool team in the first half were terrible and Sturridge even came back a few times to collect a short ball from the centre halves - that is absolutely not where Sturridge should be. Sturridge was proper shit though and did very little. I remember watching him at Home Park when we played Liverpool in a 3rd round replay and he was poor against a League 2 side that night - he didn't want to be there and you could tell from his body language. I used to quite like Sturridge but he just seems like he's in a mood all the time.

I can see a Championship side and maybe Portsmouth or Doncaster going quite far this season in the FA Cup as it is seems like the top, top sides field weakened teams and the lesser Premier League sides aren't that different from Championship sides. Bristol City are my tip to get to the semi finals - they were very impressive in the third round but I can see the top 6 not being in the semi finals as a distinct possibility.  I can understand why but it feels like a shame that the FA Cup isn't that special anymore. It annoys me that the final is on a Saturday at 5:30pm - it should be the final domestic English game before the play-offs start.    

2 hours ago, hmm said:

Shearer seemed genuinely offended by Sturridge's (non)efforts, like he had brought shame upon the honourable striking profession.

cos he's a rich black guy, innit. Annoys old white men.

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Never a pen, the ball's 5 miles away and he sees him 4 miles away and swan dives over him.

The spurs game? :blink:

Regardless of what you think about the decision I think Sky have the rules wrong there, didn't they decide not to red card when they give a penalty there because being a man and likely a goal down was considered too much of a sanction?