A Plague Tale: Innocence - Mud, Medievalism and Many Rats

Cosmic_Guru

I suppose it’s the presumption from most people (myself included) that it was English-speaking people doing ‘allo ‘allo accents, rather than native French speakers. Almost all games are best played with their native voice acting IMO. 

This was described to me by a friend months ago and it sounded hilariously bad. Mental rats, crackpot Clergy, a whiney child and a fucking SLINGSHOT?!! 🤣 oh how I laughed!!

Im 9 chapters in now following the PS Plus release and it’s utterly captivating. I’m not sure if the PS5 version had a visuals boost but it looks and feels spectacular. I’ve issued several apologies to my friend whom I laughed at because this really is a great game. Not an ounce of fat, a very emotional story if it grabs you and some surprisingly exciting and ruthless gameplay. The stealth is not ground breaking but the rules are clear and consistent so that in itself is something a lot of stealth mechanics in games fail to achieve.

Cant wait to get back in and really looking forward to seeing what they do with the sequel.

• 1 month later...

I’m enjoying this more and more the further I get in the game, currently on about Chapter IX or X. It’s a really nice looking game and the recent S|X patch adds some nice features such as (I think) ray tracing, the reflections are really cool anyway however they are achieved, lovely use of lighting and shadow too, it just lends the whole thing a really earthy atmosphere that is in fitting with the time and place it’s set. 

I really like what Asobo Studio have got going on, obviously the sim side with Flight Simulator and then this, and the next game should be something pretty special if they build on what they already have. Could end up being one of MS’s most important studios. 

• 1 month later...

For some reason this game never jumped out as something I should try. It's been on Game Pass for as long as I've had the new Xbox but I've always scrolled past it since looking at the pictures and the visual style (video gamey realism) paired with the game category (stealth based adventure horror) failed to sell it to me. 
Decided to give it a try last night before bed. For some reason it just crawled under my skin, I've never seen (nor felt) this kind of violence in any game before. I've probably popped a million heads with sniper rifles in video games over the years, I've had my servings of jump scares in games like Outlast and Evil Within etc, but this game really is something else. 
It really makes me uncomfortable for some reason. 

Can't wait to play it some more tonight. 

This game really is special. 

Yeah, as a digital serving of entertainment it doesn't do anything we haven't seen before. It's basically a walking...nay, a crawling sim through numerous corridors while having next to no influence on your surroundings at any given time. 

Yet the game makes me feel responsible for my designated digital kid brother as if he was real, and whenever he throws a fit I get as frustrated as if I was on the very same duty irl. 

The people you meet are easy to identify with as a lot of them are complete A holes and the way you need to deal with people in this game is very similar to how things actually work, although the game pushes everything to the extremes. 

I'm only a handful of chapters in, but fuck me if this isn't an experience I'll remember for the rest of my actual life, 

• 9 months later...

I saw the preview of the sequel in the last issue of Edge, and thought I'd give the first game a try. It's a slightly weird mix of harrowing themes (especially if you have children), a realistic setting, a fantastical plot, and extremely contrived gameplay elements. The themes of children coming to terms with the death of their parents sits a bit oddly with hitting a boss three times in his weak spot with your sniper slingshot, and all the crouch-walking behind convenient waist-high objects. The stealth bits in particular are very silly, with all the Monty Python-style knights continually being fascinated by metal objects going ping every so often, and the magical invisibility grass that grows everywhere. The stealth is pretty crudely done.

Still, it is quite engaging, albeit quite rough going in places. The game is really incredibly bleak in places. I'm not sure it's pleasurable in any sense, and I might have preferred it as a walking simulator rather than a walking simulator punctuated by bits where the protagonist has to push a big trolley across the floor so she can reach a climbable ledge.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been playing this and am really enjoying it, it has an element of Ico, in terms of the castle setting in parts and of course looking after Hugo. A few fairly easy puzzles which i'm fine with as i like to keep moving in a game. Think i'm near the end, chapter XIII, but great game and looking forward to the next release in the series, like others have said, this wasn't on my radar at all, another game i would have missed with out Game pass.

It's basically Ico meets the Last of Us, spliced with that bit in Gears of War with the deadly swarms of creatures that hide from the light. I'm quite enjoying it now - the environments are beautiful, although the character animation is a bit stiff. The stealth bits feel a bit robotic too - it's not like the Last of Us, where the hiding and fighting bits are quite dynamic and give rise to emergent chases. In this, the stealth bits may as well be on rails - each bit has a solution, and it's just a matter of finding that solution (which is generally not that hard).

But the story and characters are interesting, and the setpieces are pretty spectacular. The French dialogue makes it very atmospheric, although the English soldiers speaking French did confuse me a bit (although might be sort-of accurate for the period, depending on how aristocratic they were). It's pretty grim stuff, although paradoxically quite relaxing in a weird way, thanks to the slow pace and lovely graphics.

I really really enjoyed this one! I did go in with pretty low expectations, so perhaps that has played a part, but the voice acting, set design and general lovely graphical sheen really impressed me. 

There were a few things about the games that impressed or surprised me:

- going back to locations more than once is a nice change from the usual one way ticket action game. 
- the visualisation of a plague ridden world is superbly done. 
- seeing little Hugo tootling around the place is adorable, he’s kind of the platonic ideal of a five year old. 

- the pacing is excellent and the game doesn’t overstay its welcome (although if you lopped off an hour or two I wouldn’t have minded). 
- the music was terrific throughout, there’s a bit where the music synchs with some lightning and it’s such a nice considered effect that I’d didn’t mind it taking me out of the experience. 

There are the usual caveats e.g. some fences are inexplicably unclimbable, there’s doesn’t seem to be any good reason for why you can’t simply carry a torch around most of the time and the gameplay itself is pretty simple - but to be honest I think it suits this type of game/TV/film hybrid.  

• 2 months later...

I think I’ve put my finger on why this is ultimately a bit unsatisfying - because there’s no health bar, or equivalent way to give the player a bit of wiggle room for error, every failed enemy encounter is a hard fail. The further into the game you get, and the harder the difficulty, the more aggressive the enemies become and the more frustrating it is to keep failing. I’m at the point where Roderic pushes the cart past the archers and it’s just interminable. I must have failed 10 times by now, but nope - I’m expected to just do it again from the start until I get it exactly right.

The prescriptive nature of the game, in both the challenge and the player agency (where there’s really only one solution to any problem) doesn’t really gel with me, unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, Popo said:

I think I’ve put my finger on why this is ultimately a bit unsatisfying - because there’s no health bar, or equivalent way to give the player a bit of wiggle room for error, every failed enemy encounter is a hard fail. The further into the game you get, and the harder the difficulty, the more aggressive the enemies become and the more frustrating it is to keep failing. I’m at the point where Roderic pushes the cart past the archers and it’s just interminable. I must have failed 10 times by now, but nope - I’m expected to just do it again from the start until I get it exactly right.

The prescriptive nature of the game, in both the challenge and the player agency (where there’s really only one solution to any problem) doesn’t really gel with me, unfortunately. 

The Roderic cart bit haunts me to this day and was a real roadblock here. The sequel has a little more leeway for getting spotted and defending yourself but then also throws in some combat arena bits to offer up a different sort of frustration.

It wouldn’t be so bad if the enemies weren’t running up and down the stairs, moving out of the way of the sling shots, or if the wind-up to the shot wasn’t so long. 

Found a video on YouTube that shows you how to cheese it, so I’m definitely doing that. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, DualSense said:

Yeah. It’s a pain in the ass.

It’s unreal! 
It’s an excellent game that I’ve enjoyed all the way through then hit by one of the worst most infuriating set-pieces I’ve played in years & years. 

The final two guys are too close together to kill them! 

7 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Also EDGE gave this an 8 in the same issue as a 6 for RE:VILLAGE? 

What in the hell!? 
I assumed marked up for the unique setting but lol. 

PT:I is more like a 7 with RE:VII a 9. 

A Plague Tale was released two years before Village. I think the Edge review was a 7.

Either way, for 'an excellent game' with one bad set piece, that doesn't sound off the mark.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

A Plague Tale was released two years before Village. I think the Edge review was a 7.

Either way, for 'an excellent game' with one bad set piece, that doesn't sound off the mark.

I read that on the prior page, that it was an 8. But yes, I actually didn’t know when this game came out! Thought I’d blast through the first game before the sequel. 

I do like it a lot, but feel they really over egged what they throw at you towards the end for a game with deliberately slow mechanics.