A Plague Tale: Innocence - Mud, Medievalism and Many Rats

Cosmic_Guru

I've just completed this after buying the physical release on discount. I'd been intrigued about the game since I'd first heard of it, but my understanding of what the game entailed was slight. I enjoy a linear story path, so this was perfect for me. Atmospherically, it is one of the greatest games I've played in recent times: the locations, the characters, the emotional drive, the soundtrack, the RATS... the game also didn't out-stay its welcome, unlike another high-profile story-driven release that hit our PlayStations this year.

I enjoyed the crafting, and Amicia's slingshot was a wholly satisfying weapon to use. The stealth mechanics were fun (OK, I admit the enemy troops could be a little dumb, so perhaps this could be improved upon in a sequel) and the rats were beautifully disgusting. Even the end-of-game boss fight - though extremely surreal - had the right balance of difficulty.

I really hope we see a sequel from Asobo Studio.

• 3 months later...

I like the tone of this, and the explosions of rats are hilarious, but I burned out on the stealth fairly early and haven't continued since.

Spoiler

Picked up some small alchemist dude and did the next level before I took an extended break

• 3 weeks later...

Good call, it’s one of the most tedious games I’ve ever played. It’s a mixture of push forward to progress, terrible stealth sections and boss fights made all the more frustrating by the drunken controls. The dialogue was awful and the story got more preposterous as it went on. The moments of what I assume was meant to be drama fell flat because the characters were so very annoying. Good score though, extra marks for the traditional instruments.

4 hours ago, jonamok said:

A plague on your post. It’s a fantastic wee game.

Yeah, I know the game has its fans. I thought that it was dreadful really, and it’s not often I say that about a game. It was a wasted opportunity given of a great setting. I found it maddening that the game broke it’s own rules fairly frequently too. 

What an utter cunt fuck of a game this is. I’m trying to kill the last bad guy and the game simply doesn’t want me to win. I’ve tried about 40 times now but as soon as I get near the end braziers suddenly don’t light anymore. 

The game requires micro second perfect timing and going back to this straight after finishing Village makes me realise how poor this is. 

I’ve now been trying this for about 90 minutes. Maybe it’s because I’m playing on console (assuming it’s a pc game] but it’s impossible to hit him 3 times. Hitting him twice is easy, but you simply don’t have enough time to put out the 2 fires on the third attempt to hit Vitalis. Even if you do manage to put both fires out then the rats reform before I can get Hugo’s rats anywhere near Vitalis. It’s so frustrating. The whole game is an exercise in frustration and it’s mostly definitely isn’t the walking simulator I assumed it was. 

And done. The worst game I’ve completed in a long long time.

Most definitely NOT recommended. For fans of From games only who also like lots of annoying stealth 

It’s weird how polarising this game is - I hate stealth games generally and found nothing in this particularly difficult. The final boss was a challenge but once I figured out the best places to stand at each phase it was pretty straightforward. 

I'll take the main character and her brother stealthing past millions of Bad Rats over Ellie and Joel murdering their way through everything any day.

On 13/02/2020 at 12:40, Cosmic_Guru said:

Just pleased this is getting more exposure whether via Game pass or the Edge 8 (Eight) review.

How the flying fuck did Edge give this an 8 and Village a 6?  Utter bemusement at those scores. 

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I'll take the main character and her brother stealthing past millions of Bad Rats over Ellie and Joel murdering their way through everything any day.

My Amecia was a bad ass killing machine by the end of the game, which felt even more incongruent that Uncharted etc. The controls were far to clunky too be remotely enjoyable to use stealth. A well aimed magical hat shot followed by a head shot did the trick for 99% of the game where enemies were involved.

Apart from the drunken controls, sure. I also particularly enjoyed chucking rocks at boxes of armour only for the soldier I was trying to distract magically turning towards me rather than the box that the rock had hit. It also has the problem of dumbass NPCs not being quite sure if what to do if you’re trying to be stealthy and getting spotted as a result.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there anything in the Plague Tale PS5 update that would differ from the Series X update eg use of the DualSense? It's on GP and I have more space on my SX than my PS5 so debating which machine to play it on

I agree with @Count Buffalos There's jank (the games from Spiders, Warhammer: Hired Guns) and there's bad. I'd rank this as one of the worst things I've played in ages.

Disclaimer that might shed light on why I feel strongly about this game.

I lack any paternal instinct. For as long as I can remember I never wanted to have and get kids. I do not hate kids, I just know I am too selfish to have kids. I am not the parent type, I know this and am perfectly happy with this.

Obviously, spoilers ahead.

Spoiler

So, Hugo. I don't care for Hugo. At all. If I had a choice I'd leave him to the rats and move on. Which is an issue when the main plot device this entire game is built around does not resonate with me. In fact, he annoys me greatly I found myself yelling "oh what is it now!" whenever there was something to do about him. A complete liability and disturbance.

Do you remember Season 2 of that Tell Tale game from yesteryear with the zombies? In that season one of your party members is pregnant and later delivers a baby. All 5 episodes of that season I aimed to get the pregnant woman killed. As Clementine I was rude as hell to her and that baby, refusing to hold it etc. It was such a daft decision to get pregnant during a zombie apocalypse you daft cow. You're a complete liability, why do we need to drag you with us. But you had to because the game forced you to. Which diluted any tension because I know the game does not have the guts to have her killed (I can not provide evidence to back this up though) so I as the player am stuck with this liability.

Back to Hugo. The game really wants me to care. I let out a guffaw when for the second (and I believe there's a third) time Hugo gets a headache, the game removes the gameplay, on cue the track named emotion_hugo_amicia_1 starts, Amicia carries Hugo for approx. 10 steps, sets Hugo down again, on cue the music stops. It's so by the books. Like, that scene is there because the game thinks it needs an emotional beat. Once that beat is done is back to business. It's literally the exact same scene twice (or thrice) during the game. Even if it was effective the first time, that hand is dealt. Don't repeat a scene because EMOTION.

I could be fine with that if everything else captivate me. But it doesn't. Now, there are some highlights that I thoroughly enjoyed (the part in the castle ruins where you have to o the puzzle with that fires is one for sure), but the vast majority ion what it offers is sub mediocre. The stealth is barely functional, the combat is clunky (I am now on the part with the archers where Roderic pushes the cart and I had to take a break for my sanity), then there's parts where the game insists you stick to its confined rules. Two cases:

- the armor fella in the library/university whom can only be killed with the chandelier. This in contradiction to everything the game taught you so far.

- the part before the cart where Roderic tries to break down the door and enemies pop up. It allows you to move away from that small area but if you do Hugo starts to whine. So the game offers you the option to move away to a bigger area but when you take the offers you'll die because you left Hugo alone (technically not alone as he's near Roderic) for like 5 seconds.

So that's Hugo (all characters really) being annoying and the gameplay just generally being poor. What's next.

The constant exposition dumps. Very early in the game during the tutorial you walk past this gardener doing his things, minding his business. I am now paraphrasing but he says to himself "oh boy it is sure hot out this will affect the crops there no much food already so this will be tough on everybody hard times are ahead yes sir hard times". And he's not the only one, I don't think I've met a guard that did not chat to himself or others and it's always something important or revealing.

When you play a Hugo and sneak from room to room almost every single bloody room is an exposition dump. I'd love just one conversation between two alchemists bragging about potions they crafted. Some levity instead of continuous story related stuff.

I know I know, game logic is a thing. if I were invested I wouldn't even notice this, but everything in this game rubs me the wrong way. I'm annoyed therefor my mind starts to wonder and notice annoyances.

Also, you buddies are daft. Walk in the light Lukas, don't have me redo a section because your dumbass wandered through a sea of rats.

The dog at the start was cool 🐶

I'll not stink up this thread, I'm happy most of you enjoyed it (but seriously, an EDGE 8 🤨).

I still don’t understand what possesses someone to carry on playing a game they hate. I fire up Bloodborne, die about 5 times on the first guy I see, then uninstall it. It’s clear it’s not for me. It was clear from the start you didn’t like it, so it feels a lot like you feed on disliking it. Really odd.

Hate is too strong an emotion to have towards a videogame.

No doubt in my mind I dislike this a lot, what barely kept me going was the story. I forgot to mention this in my post above but the story’s neat as is the world design. There’s some great cutscenes and cinematography. Heck, this’d make an excellent Netflix series.

1 hour ago, df0 said:

I agree with @Count Buffalos There's jank (the games from Spiders, Warhammer: Hired Guns) and there's bad. I'd rank this as one of the worst things I've played in ages.

I lack any paternal instinct. For as long as I can remember I never wanted to have and get kids. I do not hate kids, I just know I am too selfish to have kids. I am not the parent type, I know this and am perfectly happy with this.

Hide contents

So, Hugo. I don't care for Hugo. At all. If I had a choice I'd leave him to the rats and move on. Which is an issue when the main plot device this entire game is built around does not resonate with me. In fact, he annoys me greatly I found myself yelling "oh what is it now!" whenever there was something to do about him. A complete liability and disturbance.

Do you remember Season 2 of that Tell Tale game from yesteryear with the zombies? In that season one of your party members is pregnant and later delivers a baby. All 5 episodes of that season I aimed to get the pregnant woman killed. As Clementine I was rude as hell to her and that baby, refusing to hold it etc. It was such a daft decision to get pregnant during a zombie apocalypse you daft cow. You're a complete liability, why do we need to drag you with us. But you had to because the game forced you to. Which diluted any tension because I know the game does not have the guts to have her killed (I can not provide evidence to back this up though) so I as the player am stuck with this liability.

Back to Hugo. The game really wants me to care. I let out a guffaw when for the second (and I believe there's a third) time Hugo gets a headache, the game removes the gameplay, on cue the track named emotion_hugo_amicia_1 starts, Amicia carries Hugo for approx. 10 steps, sets Hugo down again, on cue the music stops. It's so by the books. Like, that scene is there because the game thinks it needs an emotional beat. Once that beat is done is back to business. It's literally the exact same scene twice (or thrice) during the game. Even if it was effective the first time, that hand is dealt. Don't repeat a scene because EMOTION.

I could be fine with that if everything else captivate me. But it doesn't. Now, there are some highlights that I thoroughly enjoyed (the part in the castle ruins where you have to o the puzzle with that fires is one for sure), but the vast majority ion what it offers is sub mediocre. The stealth is barely functional, the combat is clunky (I am now on the part with the archers where Roderic pushes the cart and I had to take a break for my sanity), then there's parts where the game insists you stick to its confined rules. Two cases:

- the armor fella in the library/university whom can only be killed with the chandelier. This in contradiction to everything the game taught you so far.

- the part before the cart where Roderic tries to break down the door and enemies pop up. It allows you to move away from that small area but if you do Hugo starts to whine. So the game offers you the option to move away to a bigger area but when you take the offers you'll die because you left Hugo alone (technically not alone as he's near Roderic) for like 5 seconds.

So that's Hugo (all characters really) being annoying and the gameplay just generally being poor. What's next.

The constant exposition dumps. Very early in the game during the tutorial you walk past this gardener doing his things, minding his business. I am now paraphrasing but he says to himself "oh boy it is sure hot out this will affect the crops there no much food already so this will be tough on everybody hard times are ahead yes sir hard times". And he's not the only one, I don't think I've met a guard that did not chat to himself or others and it's always something important or revealing.

When you play a Hugo and sneak from room to room almost every single bloody room is an exposition dump. I'd love just one conversation between two alchemists bragging about potions they crafted. Some levity instead of continuous story related stuff.

I know I know, game logic is a thing. if I were invested I wouldn't even notice this, but everything in this game rubs me the wrong way. I'm annoyed therefor my mind starts to wonder and notice annoyances.

Also, you buddies are daft. Walk in the light Lukas, don't have me redo a section because your dumbass wandered through a sea of rats.

I'll not stink up this thread, I'm happy most of you enjoyed it (but seriously, an EDGE 8 🤨).

misfits.gif

On 08/07/2021 at 21:12, df0 said:

Reveal hidden contents

"I hated this because you couldn't let the defenseless child die" is certainly a take...

• 2 weeks later...

As this is included with PS Plus I’ve played it for a couple of hours this evening. It reminds me a lot of Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, in that it’s visually AAA, but the gameplay is pared back to something more befitting of a smaller team with a tighter budget. I like this approach to development, even though I do find I have to hold my nose sometimes and try to ignore the dissonant effect that painted on doors and one way corridors rendered to look like real world environments gets you. I think Hellblade does a better job of hiding this, but APT:I is just so gorgeous it feels churlish to complain too much, the developers have done such a great job here.

Much better if you switch to French language for the voices - the English voices are unconvincing, and, more to the point, the game is French.