rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic_Guru

A Plague Tale: Innocence - Mud, Medievalism and Many Rats

I thought it was alright, I got a little annoyed by how limited the stealth elements were, how linear the game was in general, and how the story was a little too much like the average PS4 exclusive together with the family tearjerker story. If they make a sequel and they let it come into its own more, it could be a GOTY for me on release though.

It relies a lot on the rat puzzles (which are great). When it just becomes a stealth game it feels like 10 years old. 

The battlefield level is something else. Really took my breath away. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Just pleased this is getting more exposure whether via Game pass or the Edge 8 (Eight) review.

Just an 8??? I know that's just their opinion, but to me it's an edge 6 easy.

• Upvote 1

The setting, storytelling and atmosphere are absolutely top drawer, but the game mechanics were not intuitive to me at all and felt quite clunky. Using fire to keep the rats away worked but the dumb as shit guards and bosses sucked a lot of the fun out.

Completed this yesterday. As per the posts above, it has a lot going for it and in particular it's one of the most atmospheric and graphically impressive games I've played for a long time.

Sadly I thought it got steadily worse as it progressed. What starts off as a kind of medieval walking simulator with light puzzle elements gets progressively bogged down with an over-complicated crafting system that has you building various types of ammunition to light torches, extinguish torches, attract rats, repel rats, blow up rats and so on. This impacts the game negatively in a few ways. Firstly it all becomes a lot more "gamey" - you are no longer immersing yourself in the atmospheric environments, you're scouring every corner for crap that you can use to build stuff with. Secondly it gives you "ammunition fear", a reluctance to actually use any of the stuff you've collected in case you need it more later, meaning you end up trying to get through the game in the most awkward way possible in order that you use up the fewest resources. Thirdly, it's just really frustrating in play, switching between different types of ammo on a radial menu as guards bear down on you constantly. The final level and boss fight were just aggravating and not enjoyable at all.

So, a bit of a shame overall. It's still a beautiful game with a strong cast and tons of atmosphere - maybe play the first couple of hours on GamePass and enjoy it for what it is.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

...steadily worse as it progressed....  medieval walking simulator....over-complicated crafting system...

I actually downloaded this not knowing what it was, but on the above I don't think I will bother playing it. Sounds like my own personal hell!

• Empathy 1

I dunno, I reckon it was well paced and the crafting was at least semi realistic. Admittedly highly visible crafting benches break immersion.  Also I usually hate bosses but these are puzzle based and pretty easy once you grock the answer.

I don't think you ever have to hoard ammo. Whenever you need a particular type the ingredients are always lying around nearby.

Finished this off last night. Overall I really really enjoyed it.

I thought the setting was rich, atmospheric and beautifully crafted. I'm a sucker for a Hundred Years War, Bernard Cornwall style setting and this really brought that feeling to life. I actually really liked the characters too (I was a bit nervous going in as child characters often annoy me in things) and I even got the feels a couple of times due to some excellent writing and acting. Story wise I really got into the first couple of acts, but I perhaps drifted a little from it in the latter portions...

Spoiler

I wasn't that keen on the supernatural rat tornado level of things and preferred it when it was more realistic-ish rat plague in desolate war torn landscape vibe.

Overall though I was pretty satisfied with how it carried itself.

Gameplay wise it didn't really break into new ground anywhere in my opinion but it was capable enough and fun which is the main thing. I didn't find the crafting side of things too bad, except being annoyed that at the end I was about 2 things off fully crafting my last two pieces of gear (OCD tremors kicked in). I would agree on some of the comments on the boss sections though, I think they just felt a bit clunky and jarring compared to the rest of it. Also threat level wise I actually found the intensity of a group of normal guards in a small area more of an engaging challenge than any of the single enemy encounters. They just felt a bit unnecessary.

Aesthetically though it really is stunning and the people at Asobo should give themselves a solid pat on the back, impressive stuff. Olivier Deriviere's score is fantastic too, I've been listening to it at work today again and it's made me think about going into Vampyr next (which he also scored).

I probably won't play it again, but very glad I got to enjoy it this time round. I'd definitely say if you have Game Pass it's worth giving a go.

• Upvote 4

I'm playing through this on gamepass, incredible game. I actually like the basic gameplay makes a change from overloaded open worlds. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

I'm playing through this on gamepass, incredible game. I actually like the basic gameplay makes a change from overloaded open worlds.

I did the same a few months back. Loved it and it looked gorgeous on X. Probably one of my favourite games this gen. Was nice to play a game that doesn't have a million systems in place and a lot of unneeded shite. 

I started it yesterday and just got up the university, really enjoying it. The graphics at time are the best iv seen and it has a fantastic, daunting soundtrack 

Glad some new folk are enjoying this, was definitely amongst my favourites of last year.

My only issue with it really were the boss fights, a couple in particular.

Coming off TLOU2, FF7R and Ghost of Tsushima recently has dimmed this a fair bit in terms of visuals, even on the X, but it's got a lot of atmosphere and janky charm. It's good to play something which feels different and has its own character.