rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Cosmic_Guru

A Plague Tale: Innocence - Mud, Medievalism and Many Rats

13 hours ago, MattKB said:

Is immersive mode on by default?

No, off.  You can customise as you like too.  The only essential thing I find is the enemy awareness for certain of the stealth sections, although if you turn the hints first time there are one or two sections where you might struggle because there is a new technique to use.

Is this hard? I'm all for trauma, but I don't want to be frustrated.

48 minutes ago, Shoes said:

Is this hard? I'm all for trauma, but I don't want to be frustrated.

No.  Some places might catch you out first time around but there are always audio clues as to what needs to be done to progress.  Updating the sling as a priority (as well as materials capacity) is recommended.

• Upvote 1

I’m getting really annoyed by the aim acceleration, or lack of. Literally every time I use right stick I over spin on what Im looking for, and aiming at anything is just a nightmare. Have tried playing with the settings but I cant seem to solve it. Has anyone else had this issue on console (PS4)?

I switched auto-aim off for a bit, but in the end put it back on. Maybe it's too easy that way, but the controls aren't good enough to aim manually.

Other than that though, I didn't have any real issues with it.

Up to chapter 7 and feeling a tad conflicted on this one. The sense of place and atmosphere is top-tier and it is by turns genuinely affecting/horrifying despite some slightly stilted dialogue. I just wish it didn't feel so bogged down in restrictive old-fashioned stealth.

I'm pretty sure at this point I would have preferred it to just be a straightforward walking sim leaning more heavily into realism than the quite contrived final product with its extremely gamey puzzles and environments littered with crafting elements. Oh, how my heart sank at the end of chapter 2, I think, when the crafting bench and ingredients suddenly appeared. It's not that intrusive but I just don't see the point. The upgrades are small in number, trivial, and I usually only ever have the option to upgrade one at a time anyway.

Then there's the artificial little things like how the rats will devour a human in seconds flat yet take an eternity to feast on a ham. It's really a testament to how good the narrative and world-building aspects of the game are that I wish the mechanics themselves gelled with it more believably. It feels a bit like someone's crammed a Naughty Dog game into a PS1-era stealth game with token crafting elements.

I didn't really follow the game before release so perhaps I just came into it with faulty expectations about what it actually is. I'm still enjoying what's here, it's mostly just that old chestnut of wishing what the game actually is was a bit different.

I picked this up a few weeks back after someone on a podcast was recommending it. Its........ok. The stealth is fucking horrible

Completed this last night. It was....ok. While I enjoyed the characters and story, they really dragged out the game and a couple of the bosses towards the end were ridiculous. I'm glad I played it, but have no interest in ever going back to it. 

Had it been about 5 hours or so I would have enjoyed it much more. It didn't need to be as long and laboured as it was.

I think I've hit a glitch in the game and it's going to make it impossible to continue :(

Spoilered because it's in chapter VII:

Spoiler

I'm escaping the hideout with Melia, we meet a helmet-wearing guard. She's telling me about a new tool to craft (devorantis) that will melt the helmet but as she's talking he gets so close that I have to use Somnum to put him to sleep. Now I carried on to the next couple of guards just ahead, and Melia says " he's wearing a helmet - you know what to do!". Except I have no option to craft devorantis on the menu! I go back to see if there's anything on the floor, nothing helps. Now I can't get past these 2 guards and fear even if I did, I'm missing out on a major gameplay mechanic. I tried restarting the checkpoint but it loads too far ahead :(

I guess I'm asking for any ideas/help? Or do I just call it a day?

42 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Doesn't she give you it?

Supposedly, but somehow I didn't get it. At least I can't seem to find it in my inventory.

Hm, that does sound a bit broken. But yeah, I think the unlock sequence for all the craft-able items is identical - as in, an NPC will present the item to you, you have to press triangle to take it, and that puts a couple of copies in you inventory as well as unlocking the recipe. If you've skipped that initial sequence somehow then I can see how you'd end up with neither :( I don't think there's any way around helmet guards without Devorantis unless you have one of the level 3 sling upgrades, or if there are rats around and you have some items that you can use to take out all the nearby fires (+ any guard lanterns)

Incidentally, I finished this just last night - solid game! Considering the smaller budget, its really very impressive, and there was a nice escalation to your abilities as the game goes on. It looks great too, provided you can look past the stiff animation.

• Upvote 1

On 14/01/2020 at 09:11, Cosmic_Guru said:

I seem to recall being able to play individual chapters of this - does this only unlock on completion?

No

Same as most people I’m enjoying this. Definitely in the vein of Uncharted or similar with a bit more horror and  a bit less combat.

I’ve not checked who made it and who did the voice acting but some of it sounds a little bit “Allo Allo” if you know what I mean, but it’s charming really.

I’ve played up to chapter 12 and after reading comments in this thread I think I’m going to try turning the hud off now I generally know what I’m doing. Game Pass doing the business once again 

I’ve stuck this on the French language setting which I presume is the original.

This would’ve made my goty list if I’d played it sooner. Same with Children of Morta.

Finished this last night and loved everything about it. Loved the atmosphere. Loved the way the stealth gameplay is even more of a puzzle than in standard stealth games - if I put this light out first, then lure that guard there... The system is flexible enough that I think I got past a few bits by doing something completely different from what the developers intended.  And as has been said, there's a fantastic escalation to your abilities and subsequently the set-pieces. And it didn't outstay its welcome. Loved it!

• Upvote 2

I enjoyed it last year but thought they dragged out the ending way too much. It felt like it should have ended a couple of chapters sooner. And the last boss was silly. 

8 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I enjoyed it last year but thought they dragged out the ending way too much. It felt like it should have ended a couple of chapters sooner. And the last boss was silly. 

Fair enough, the bosses were a bit outside of the otherwise excellent puzzle stealth gameplay, so I can imagine it didn't do it for you. I loved it all though! 

It gets the "Mr. Gerbik Seal of Approval" - it's been years since I awarded that.

I have so enjoyed playing this game and while I have a bit of a mixed view about Gamepass in some ways, this is a brilliant example of it at its best. I wouldn't have played this otherwise and I'm really, really glad I have. It's such a rich and distinct world, something that's really lacking in the gaming landscape. It reminds me of The Witch or the Lighthouse because it's so bracingly different. I loved the relationship between the kids and the way it makes you feel protective of others - something that's again quite rare and often accompanied by irritating gameplay. I'd also recommend switching to the French audio.

• Upvote 2

Add me to the list of people enjoying this - it's more of a puzzle game than a straight stealth title really, most situations have a "solution" so I'm finding it less frustrating than I normally find this kind of game. The characters are decent, it's got a small child in it who's actually quite endearing rather than someone you want to punt off a cliff, and while the accents are very Allo Allo as @Junker says, that's more entertaining that off-putting. It's also a gorgeous-looking game and has perhaps the finest HDR implementation of any game I've played.

Up to chapter 9 now and it's getting ever so slightly repetitive though, don't know how much further I've got to go but if it ends reasonably soon and doesn't outstay its welcome I'll have nothing but good memories of it.

6 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Add me to the list of people enjoying this - it's more of a puzzle game than a straight stealth title really, most situations have a "solution" so I'm finding it less frustrating than I normally find this kind of game. The characters are decent, it's got a small child in it who's actually quite endearing rather than someone you want to punt off a cliff, and while the accents are very Allo Allo as @Junker says, that's more entertaining that off-putting. It's also a gorgeous-looking game and has perhaps the finest HDR implementation of any game I've played.

Up to chapter 9 now and it's getting ever so slightly repetitive though, don't know how much further I've got to go but if it ends reasonably soon and doesn't outstay its welcome I'll have nothing but good memories of it.

I think you've still got a very decent chunk left. I did get a bit tired of it in the final few chapters of I'm honest, had a few hours been chopped off I'd probably have been left with a more positive overall impression than I did.

I also felt like it generally just got sillier the more I played. I preferred the more relatively down to earth settings and scenarios of the earlier chapters.

Yeah, I'd say it's a couple of chapters too long.

What is good though is the way each one feels like a self-contained episode, with its own story arc, and they're all a similar length. So it suits playing one episode at a time and doesn't turn into a single long slog.