rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Daemon X Machina - a cacophony of mechas, mechs and colours

Ok finished the demo. You had to expose some of the weakpoints on his leg as well in order to deal out enough damage. 

Things I like

• Audio: The soundtrack slays and the voice work is surprisingly decent. 
  • Presentation: I'm a sucker for stylized visuals. Love the way the game looks, especially the Arsenal designs what with their big chunky weaponry and anime poses. 
  • Controls/UI: It's like Armored Core but clear and concise! I actually know how to equip weapons properly and what they do. And within minutes I was able to fly around and slash tanks in half with no effort. Surprisingly easy to pick up and play. Appreciate the forgiving auto-aim as well. 

Things I don't like:

• Combat feedback: Hardly any feedback through audio or visual mechanics. I got the HD rumble set on "strong" yet didn't feel a thing when attacking or taking hits. Maybe it's a Pro Controller issue? 
  • Framerate: It's all over the shop and borderline unplayable at times. This is the main thing that needs to be improved imo.
  • Floaty pilot controls and unclear what even the point of that is. Are you somehow able to crawl back up your own Arsenal? 

All in all I enjoyed it and if they can make improvements to the performance and shooting combat I can definitely see myself picking this up on day one!

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Is there a trick to defeating that big ol' fortress bot boss? I just died, on my first try admittedly, but do you literally just keep pumping ammo/melee attacks into his weakpoints? I've been slashing his bottom side for ages and got him down to 25% but that took forever! Can you dodge his big shield attack? 

You can blast his main gun off the top and use it against him! It's possible to beat him really quickly - some folks have got it down well under 2 mins!

• Upvote 1

Just now, rgraves said:

You can blast his main gun off the top and use it against him! It's possible to beat him really quickly - some folks have got it down well under 2 mins!

Oh completely missed that! Glad to hear there's at least different tactics and gameplay options available though. Game is starting to sound better by the minute!

I managed to take him down on my third try and while I did so somewhat quickly it wasn't exactly pretty as I took quite a beating.

But how does he blast it off? I’ve done the three things either side of the gun, and the panel that sits underneath. Can’t see anything else?

Anyway, weird sound dropping out bugs aside, I really quite enjoyed this and it’s not my sort of game normally.

I gave the demo a quick go yesterday. Only did the first mission, but it was ok. I really like the graphics. Is the demo going to stop working or is it just that you need to download it before a certain time? Would like to play a bit more. 

I played this and enjoyed it, went back and repeated a few missions to get better mech gear.

The sensation of speed needs to be worked on and the music stopped suddenly and it wouldn't restart without closing the game in the Switch main menu.

• Upvote 1

Couldn't get on with this. The movement has almost no feeling of momentum. Feels like a free camera mode you get when you die in an online shooter. It's the sort of game Nintendo would make quite interesting but this feels like a bucket of slop to me.

• Upvote 1

It’s getting its own special Joy-con set which looks like it would be great for all games. Except...

The controllers – which launch in September and will cost 4,780 Yen (approximately £34 / $44) –

lack gyro sensors, IR, HD Rumble and NFC, and don't have internal batteries so they'll only work in handheld mode.

After the beta thingy, they said they would welcome all feedback. They’ve added gyro controls to the game. And now this happens.

screenshot-2019-06-12-at-09-08-39.origin

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/06/were_in_awe_of_horis_massive_daemon_x_machina-themed_switch_joy-con

• Empathy 1

Ooh, they just announced a competitive online mode.will be added after launch.

This is good for me because I was won over by the style but found the prototype mission a bit dull.

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

They've added motion controls :)

Having literally just saying they don't support them?

10 minutes ago, deKay said:

Having literally just saying they don't support them?

Didn't they just say in the treehouse video they added them due to player feedback?

20 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Didn't they just say in the treehouse video they added them due to player feedback?

I didn't see the Treehouse video but the Nintendolife article says they don't have gyros or batteries.

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

they've added and adjusted a fair bit of stuff based on feedback (thank god the auto return-to-zone was one of them):

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Djx said:

I hate this place some times, that's £89.99 I won't see again as this will sit on my bloody shelf sealed u, after missing out on the Link's Awakening one, I HAD to get this, at least they don't take the money until they ship, thank fuck.

8 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I hate this place some times, that's £89.99 I won't see again as this will sit on my bloody shelf sealed u, after missing out on the Link's Awakening one, I HAD to get this, at least they don't take the money until they ship, thank fuck.

Same day as the Astral Chain preorder too.  I don't even play half the games I buy at this point, but haver both in a basket and am seriously considering presing 'buy'

:(

The new Prologue Demo seems considerably better than the first demo from back in Feb. This is now definitely on my radar. It's faster, snappier, runs better, feels better. They've definitely taken feedback on board and improved performance. 

I appreciate that the video above is a bit negative and it sounds like it's pretty grindy but the comparison to 'old school Monster Hunter' doesn't bother me too much! I like the idea of just powering through tougher and tougher massive enemies. It very likely won't have the charm of MH or depth of gameplay mechanics but the core controls and action seem much more fun than before. 

Anyone else tried it out? 

I tried it. It bored the beard off me to be honest. And the music is properly awful in that "anime style game metal" way.

Essentially, everything lacks weight, and there doesn't feel like much in the way of interesting things to do in most missions other than float around boring areas going pew pew pew until you destroy enough uninteresting enemies.