rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

3 minutes ago, macosx said:

Series usually has something after it to denote it’s series . Ie. Lost Series 1, Lost Series 2.

Xbox One X, then naming the better model the same thing; Xbox One Series X is fucking stupid. 

It’s not called Xbox One Series X. Forget One, that’s finished.

The last few pages of this thread are giving me flashbacks to the conversations about the Wii name and how it was utterly awful and would put people off buying it.

18 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Seriously? There's two generations, One and Series. 

Each has an S and an X variant. 

That's it.

What's confusing? 

The fact that it needs explaining at all is the problem; it’s not confusing, it’s just not clear. 

Playstation 5: job done, everyone knows what that’s about. 

Microsoft have taken on the ambitious goal of repositioning backwards compatibility as a branded, marketable selling point (smart delivery) - this is a new concept for games consoles and needs a bit of explaining - challenge number one. They’re applying this to a line of consoles that haven’t historically had a clear progression in their naming convention (360 > One) and then changing the naming convention on the new console (Series) - challenge number two. They’ve then decided to stick partially with the naming conversation they came up with in the previous generation (X and S) to indicate difference in power, slightly obscuring the difference between previous and current gen - challenge number three. 

Them add into the mix that they’ve decided not to force third party developers to implement smart delivery, so that concept isn’t as straightforward as they probably would have hoped. That’s a fair few challenges - some they’ve inherited, some they’ve erected themselves - that get in the way of clarity of message. 

Like I already said, I respect the ambition of what they’re doing and am even considering a purchase. I’m not trolling - it’s just bleedin’ obvious to me that the messaging around the system could be clearer. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

The last few pages of this thread are giving me flashbacks to the conversations about the Wii name and how it was utterly awful and would put people off buying it.

It's got me wanting to click ignore user more than anything.

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

Like I already said, I respect the ambition of what they’re doing and am even considering a purchase. I’m not trolling - it’s just bleedin’ obvious to me that the messaging around the system could be clearer. 

There really isn't much messaging at the moment though is there. There is no release date and no price point. Once that actually happens we'll see what the messaging to Johnny's granny looks like.

It might be a complete clusterfuck like the Wii U messaging was but I'm willing to stake money that MS are going to spend an absolute shit load on advertising once the console is actually available for people to buy.

19 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Because if they started with A it would be the Abox?

I assume you're making a joke, but clearly it's already the Xbox. If Series is simply a word to separate the "Xbox" from the model number, that's entirely reasonable naming, but then it seems odd to start at X. Where do they go after that? Xbox Series X, Xbox Series Y, Series Z and then they've run out? Or will they need a new word because they love extra Xs? The One X seems to have tricked them into thinking it needs to start and end with X from now on.

15 minutes ago, Stanley said:

In the same way that all the promotional material for the new iPhone is initially centred around the Pro model in all the adverts. 

Not "why are they showing off the X first", of course they're doing that. "Why are they starting what Pob suggested is a new numbering scheme at X"?

I'm also sure it'll be fine, but I don't get their approach to naming. But also pretty sure it won't make much difference.

I think we should just stop grandparents buying consoles - it is obviously too much for them.

And given the aging forum population it should come as no surprise that some of us are naturally falling into that demographic that is suddenly unable to distinguish console versions :D

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Popo said:

The fact that it needs explaining at all is the problem; it’s not confusing, it’s just not clear. 

Playstation 5: job done, everyone knows what that’s about. 

But its not as much of a problem as is being made out. They can't use xbox 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 because they entered the cosole space a generation after Sony released playstation and someone in marketing decided that releasing xbox 2 when sony released playstation 3 would make them seem inferior (at a guess). 

As has been documented repeatedly, people buy things that are named in a similar manner and nobody wrings their hands in the way that they do in this thread.

Yet, saying you're  bored of hearing about it again and explaining the above gets another lesson in why it's  a confusing name. From someone who understands it. 

I don't think anyone is saying they love the name, I don't care for it either,  but it's not difficult to understand, even if you have to be told "this is the new one".

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

Not "why are they showing off the X first", of course they're doing that. "Why are they starting what Pob suggested is a new numbering scheme at X"?

I don't think it's a numbering scheme, I think it's a signifier of the 'trim' level, like Zetec/Ghia or whatever it is Ford use for their cars. You do raise a good point about what the next one will be called, assuming it'll be on the market at the same time as the Series X. Xbox Series X Pro or something? Or maybe just rely on the year, like MacBooks, and keep the name the same - Xbox Series X - until they stop selling client-side consoles?

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

it’s just bleedin’ obvious to me that the messaging around the system could be clearer. 

Just imagine that there’s still a few months to go before launch and they’ll do a huge global marketing campaign to clarify everything.

I studied Linguistics. S and X are separate consonant clusters and if you pronounce them the same way you should get speech therapy. 

There are a lot of people in this thread who continue to embarrass themselves in public in a most disconcerting way.

I know the average age of some of you is now pushing the point at which you should be left on a secluded tundra for the good of the community but at least try to keep up with the world around you.

I never thought my reaffirming shot of self-confidence today to make myself aware of my great intellectual capacity would be the ability to read two separate letters in the Latin alphabet and understand how to read a Box cover. I'll save Ulysses for tomorrow.

My nephew understands this. He is 12. 

• Upvote 3

@Wahwah* I don’t disagree with you, except to say that it remains to be seen if Microsoft can make a success of the iPhone business model but for consoles. I think all the challenges I outlined in my earlier post are illustrative of how it’s not a like for like comparison and will need a certain amount of vision from Redmond to execute. 

They should have gone with Xbox One Zero (or Xbox10 / X10). Leapfrogging their original problem of looking a generation behind Sony if they'd gone down the route of Xbox2 etc. Then adopt Nvidia's numbering convention with future machines being X20, X30. By the time Sony get to Playstation 10 they'd be X60!

...I don't really care.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

adopt Nvidia's numbering convention with future machines being X20, X30. By the time Sony get to Playstation 10 they'd be X60

A Series of X branded consoles, you say? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Pob said:

I don't think it's a numbering scheme, I think it's a signifier of the 'trim' level, like Zetec/Ghia or whatever it is Ford use for their cars. You do raise a good point about what the next one will be called, assuming it'll be on the market at the same time as the Series X. Xbox Series X Pro or something? Or maybe just rely on the year, like MacBooks, and keep the name the same - Xbox Series X - until they stop selling client-side consoles?

Ah - now I understand you. Yes, that makes more sense.

15 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Seriously? There's two generations, One and Series. 

Each has an S and an X variant. 

That's it.

What's confusing? 

Yes, that is all very clear!

For a corporation looking to sell a brand to then be diluting that brand name with an increasingly ludicrous and complex naming convention is not that great.

You are seeing this all through the lens of someone who spends way more time on a games forum - watching, reading and  ingesting news about video game hardware and software than the average person. Remember those stories of consumers who did not realise that Wii U was a new console? That is was an add on or something? Why do you think that might have been?

Sony, despite making one of the most shit awful looking pieces of hardware I have ever seen, have at least been consistent with their incremental generational naming. It is boring but it is simple and, consequently, it is not at all difficult to work out which is the latest hardware and that they are now selling that latest iteration to the consumer. There is literally nothing in MS's naming that offers such insight without prior knowledge of the product and that is not an assumption any company should be making. It is just a small halt on the thought process that is entirely unnecessary,

As an aside, I wonder if the Series X name was dreamt up by an exec who noticed how popular the infantile, and still cringe inducing, XBONE contraction became and decided to offer the kids the equally awful SeX for this generation?

I think the names are a bit shit but they started down that path and now have to make the best of it, I’m assuming with the One S & X they’ve established the base and pro models are are just continuing that. However, I do think the ‘series’ part of the name is superfluous and rubbish.

Is the Series S model actually an official thing or is it something that everyone is assuming at this stage?

• Upvote 2

Guyz... GUYZ!

I want to buy a Macbook Pro from Apple, but they are all just called the Macbook Pro, how do I know which one I will be getting? I might end up with one ten years old as I am trying to make a really stupid and laboured point about my less favoured console manufacturer.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

3 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Yes, that is all very clear!

For a corporation looking to sell a brand to then be diluting that brand name with an increasingly ludicrous and complex naming convention is not that great.

You are seeing this all through the lens of someone who spends way more time on a games forum - watching, reading and  ingesting news about video game hardware and software than the average person. Remember those stories of consumers who did not realise that Wii U was a new console? That is was an add on or something? Why do you think that might have been?

Sony, despite making one of the most shit awful looking pieces of hardware I have ever seen, have at least been consistent with their incremental generational naming. It is boring but it is simple and, consequently, it is not at all difficult to work out which is the latest hardware and that they are now selling that latest iteration to the consumer. There is literally nothing in MS's naming that offers such insight without prior knowledge of the product and that is not an assumption any company should be making. It is just a small halt on the thought process that is entirely unnecessary,

As an aside, I wonder if the Series X name was dreamt up by an exec who noticed how popular the infantile, and still cringe inducing, XBONE contraction became and decided to offer the kids the equally awful SeX for this generation?

You’re right, everything should be named literally so people don’t have to think for more than a couple of seconds.

I’d like a pint of beer 3 to go with my curry 2, please.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

even if you have to be told "this is the new one".

And that, in a nutshell, is everything that is wrong with it from a marketing perspective.

• Upvote 1

S and X have been used for ages in consumer electronics, cars and so on, I really think some people are massively overstating any confusion that resides. 

Just now, JPL said:

You’re right, everything should be named literally so people don’t have to think for more than a couple of seconds.

I’d like a pint of beer 3 to go with my curry 2, please.

Yes, that is EXACTLY the same.

You got me!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stanley said:

S and X have been used for ages in consumer electronics, cars and so on, I really think some people are massively overstating any confusion that resides. 

The point being that any confusion is too much confusion when selling a product. Even more so when a leading competitor in the space is very, very clear in their branding.

7 minutes ago, layten said:

Guyz... GUYZ!

I want to buy a Macbook Pro from Apple, but they are all just called the Macbook Pro, how do I know which one I will be getting? I might end up with one ten years old as I am trying to make a really stupid and laboured point about my less favoured console manufacturer.

I don’t think anyone is saying that are they?

I wasn’t, anyway.

13 minutes ago, Mike S said:

And that, in a nutshell, is everything that is wrong with it from a marketing perspective.

Great, let's move on. 

15 minutes ago, layten said:

Guyz... GUYZ!

I don't think anyone can deny the Apple hardware lineup has become increasingly confusing over the past few years, with Macbooks, Macbook Airs and now MacBook Pros with two different generations of CPUs in them. There are also frequent posts in the iPad thread by people trying to figure out what the difference is between the various models.

I don't think anyone is saying this is a disaster or trying to score points as you're suggesting, either. Bit of a strawman, that. It's not as clear as PlayStation 5, that much is clear. Whether or not it hurts them going forward in the same way that Wii/Wii U hurt Nintendo, is another matter. If they discontinue the Xbox One line it solves a lot of the confusion and they just have to deal with people not knowing this is a new generation of consoles. They've got the marketing budget to solve that problem.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

Is the Series S model actually an official thing or is it something that everyone is assuming at this stage?

It's not official. There's been reputable leaks that it's a real thing to be unveiled in August and a profile for it exists in the XSX development kit.  It might not be called the S though. Goodness knows what it'll do to this thread if it's called the Xbox Series A.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mike S said:

The point being that any confusion is too much confusion when selling a product. Even more so when a leading competitor in the space is very, very clear in their branding.

Didn’t seem to affect sales of Xbox 360, or explain why the very clearly delineated PlayStation 3 struggled so much.

15 minutes ago, layten said:

Guyz... GUYZ!

if you’re buying from Apple they’ll sell you the most expensive one, and you’ll get the laptop you deserve.

2 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

It's not official. There's been reputable leaks that it's a real thing to be unveiled in August and a profile for it exists in the XSX development kit.  It might not be called the S though. Goodness knows what it'll do to this thread if it's called the Xbox Series A.

Xbox Y

• Upvote 2