Jump to content
rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Anyone who's 'worried' is being wilfully disingenuous about the launch period of every previous generation. The good stuff never shows up until at least year or so in. What were the first proper, decent, current-gen exclusives that actually used the hardware, Alien Isolation and Arkham Knight? A year to 18-months later respectively.

 

except in the case of nintendo, when it's available at launch :hat:

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem with Nintendo is you end up waiting at least another year for anything anywhere near as good as their launch titles. They're a law unto themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Plenty of people in the PlayStation 5 thread are extremely worried about it though.

 

No-one's posted in the PS5 thread since Sunday, and when they were it was about price inflation and whether the UK Government is going to buy one for you. As has happened a few times before in this thread, if you're being concern trolled, you're doing it to yourselves. Just like when no-one trolled this thread during the PS5 reveal.

  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Anyone with 'concerns' is being wilfully disingenuous about the launch period of every previous generation. The good stuff never shows up until at least year or so in. What were the first decent current-gen exclusives that actually made proper use of the hardware, Alien Isolation and Arkham Knight? Which were a year to 18 months later respectively.

 

Agreed. Alien Isolation was cross-gen though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

The only problem with Nintendo is you end up waiting at least another year for anything anywhere near as good as their launch titles. They're a law unto themselves.

Not on Switch. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Pob said:

 

Agreed. Alien Isolation was cross-gen though!

 

Oh really? That's even more impressive. So it's basically 18 months in with Arkham Knight then.

 

You could make an argument for the current-gen versions of Battlefield 4 being much improved over the last-gen ports, but it was a hot mess on all platforms for about a year anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shadow of Mordor is usually cited as the first game of the current gen that couldn't be done fully-featured on the previous gen. That came out 10 months after the consoles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it doesn’t really matter I think, I upgraded for Destiny which is cross gen, I think MS approach here is not only sensible but adds great value with the patch boosted cross gen games. 
 

I just can’t wait to see Halo Infinite running on their new engine on Series X, I imagine it will look fucking incredible and beyond anything we’ve seen so far - cross gen or otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am getting excited about this games reveal. I suppose we won't be hearing about price until the supposed August announcement of Lockhart?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HarryBizzle said:

I am getting excited about this games reveal. I suppose we won't be hearing about price until the supposed August announcement of Lockhart?

It looks like a stand off yeah, both parties won’t announce price until as late as possible. Hopefully it will drive prices down too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

The only problem with Nintendo is you end up waiting at least another year for anything anywhere near as good as their launch titles. They're a law unto themselves.

 

tenor.gif?itemid=9264828

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, SeanR said:

 

except in the case of nintendo, when it's available at launch :hat:


switch maybe (though their biggest hitter was cross-gen, and their second biggest hitter a *paid repackaging of a game you’d already bought on wii-u - cf Mario Kart), wii if you liked wii sports.

 

Gamecube and Wii-U much less so.

 

but the console launch line ups last time round:

- Ryse, that at least looked pretty

- Forza 5, pretty but short on content and hey microtransactions

 

then

- Resogun 

 

so not really system sellers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, footle said:

Resogun 

 

so not really system sellers

Genuinely surprised, the way people spoke of it was that it very much was worth buying a system for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the first few months on PS4 it was the only game i felt fully positive about on the system, the rest of launch was woeful. Superb game though - actually one of my favourites of the whole generation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

 

No-one's posted in the PS5 thread since Sunday, and when they were it was about price inflation and whether the UK Government is going to buy one for you. As has happened a few times before in this thread, if you're being concern trolled, you're doing it to yourselves. Just like when no-one trolled this thread during the PS5 reveal.

I'm going to post my genuine concerns there right now!

 

7 minutes ago, Clipper said:

For the first few months on PS4 it was the only game i felt dully positive about on the system, the rest of launch was woeful. Superb game though - actually one of my favourites of the whole generation.

I didn't like Resogun (I can't help that!) but I was just happy to have the fancy new hardware and a handful of pretty graphics. As someone pointed out earlier, unless it's Nintendo (or Microsoft that one lucky time with Halo CE) don't expect candidates for Game of the Generation at launch. 

 

I'm hyped and excited for the XsX and PS5 themselves and I can't wait to get my hands on them regardless! 

 

(There are a few titles around what's probably launch time that have genuine potential though, and at the very least I'll have Cyberpunk 2077 in 4k and rock solid performance!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Genuinely surprised, the way people spoke of it was that it very much was worth buying a system for.


It's a fantastic game, but not really the type of game people en masse buy consoles for.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Genuinely surprised, the way people spoke of it was that it very much was worth buying a system for.

 

It was ok, and it was better than Killzone Shadowfall (as was Ryse), but it's hardly a Super Mario World, Mario 64, Halo CE, Wii Sports, BoTW, (or Wii Fit, Ring Fit Adventure, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I completely agree regarding launch being rubbish usually on both formats. Resogun was a gem for me and for the whole generation - I love arcade style shooters in general*. I didn't buy XboxOne at launch but I don't recall any gems there.

 

Will be interesting to see if Halo Infinite bucks the trend  of Sony/MS launches being meh software wise

 

*Story based AAA stuff is just dull dull dull to me. I like games to be more reminiscent of older style arcade gaming loops.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best games from the start of this generation were all cross-gen. Assassins' Creed Black Flag and Battlefield 4 are still some of my favourites, then a bit further down the line you had Alien Isolation, Metal Gear Solid V etc. Stuff that was rushed out to show off the new tech wasn't anywhere near as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3 were both very good launch games. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was late to the Bone party but Dead Rising 3 was indeed a very pleasant surprise for me midway through the generation! Far far better than 4 and a really good game, a perfect launch title in that regard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Xbox one had the better games for the first 18 months I’d argue, despite all the backlash at launch. I only got the system with the launch of the S model but I was seriously envious of Forza 5, Titanfall, killer instinct. 
 

I drifted away from gaming a little with the launch of the PS4, in large part because it didn’t have the games that interested me at first.   A large part of rediscovering a love of gaming came with the mid gen refresh and the Pro/S and then X models. Plus we then started to see games like Horizon Zero Dawn which really pushed the envelope. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, footle said:


switch maybe (though their biggest hitter was cross-gen, and their second biggest hitter a *paid repackaging of a game you’d already bought on wii-u - cf Mario Kart), wii if you liked wii sports.

 

Gamecube and Wii-U much less so.

 

but the console launch line ups last time round:

- Ryse, that at least looked pretty

- Forza 5, pretty but short on content and hey microtransactions

 

then

- Resogun 

 

so not really system sellers

 

By any measure Switch had one of the best year one release schedules of any console regardless whether they were ports or cross gen  - and every game made use of the new hardware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Halo infinite this time round :eyebrows:

Fuckin A and let’s not forget this is the first time since Halo CE that a Halo game has launched with the system - there really is a lot riding on it IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stanley said:

By any measure Switch had one of the best year one release schedules of any console regardless whether they were ports or cross gen  - and every game made use of the new hardware. 


sure, and I bought one for them.

But none of Zelda, Mario kart, odyssey or splatoon 2 really made use of the new hardware in a way that was transformative. 1-2 switch wasn’t.. good. I’d really say you were waiting for labo and ring fit adventure to get something that couldn’t have been released on Wii U. Two of the games above were launched on Wii U, and Splatoon 2 was a limited update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, footle said:


sure, and I bought one for them.

But none of Zelda, Mario kart, odyssey or splatoon 2 really made use of the new hardware in a way that was transformative. 1-2 switch wasn’t.. good. I’d really say you were waiting for labo and ring fit adventure to get something that couldn’t have been released on Wii U. Two of the games above were launched on Wii U, and Splatoon 2 was a limited update.

Apart from that the hardware itself was transformative. Not really sure what we’re arguing here tbh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Fuckin A and let’s not forget this is the first time since Halo CE that a Halo game has launched with the system - there really is a lot riding on it IMO. 

 

Is there? Like what?  I could just play it on my X, unless that version is going to be hobbled somehow. For probably the first console releases ever I’m probably not going to buy either the new PS or XB going from what I know so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, footle said:


sure, and I bought one for them.

But none of Zelda, Mario kart, odyssey or splatoon 2 really made use of the new hardware in a way that was transformative. 1-2 switch wasn’t.. good. I’d really say you were waiting for labo and ring fit adventure to get something that couldn’t have been released on Wii U. Two of the games above were launched on Wii U, and Splatoon 2 was a limited update.


I could play Splatoon 2 in a cafe while on holiday waiting for my breakfast. That was pretty transformative to me.

 

Also “limited update”? It was a sequel. There’s a wee number 2 in the name and everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.