rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

2 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Anyone who's 'worried' is being wilfully disingenuous about the launch period of every previous generation. The good stuff never shows up until at least year or so in. What were the first proper, decent, current-gen exclusives that actually used the hardware, Alien Isolation and Arkham Knight? A year to 18-months later respectively.

except in the case of nintendo, when it's available at launch :hat:

• Upvote 2

The only problem with Nintendo is you end up waiting at least another year for anything anywhere near as good as their launch titles. They're a law unto themselves.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Plenty of people in the PlayStation 5 thread are extremely worried about it though.

No-one's posted in the PS5 thread since Sunday, and when they were it was about price inflation and whether the UK Government is going to buy one for you. As has happened a few times before in this thread, if you're being concern trolled, you're doing it to yourselves. Just like when no-one trolled this thread during the PS5 reveal.

• Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Anyone with 'concerns' is being wilfully disingenuous about the launch period of every previous generation. The good stuff never shows up until at least year or so in. What were the first decent current-gen exclusives that actually made proper use of the hardware, Alien Isolation and Arkham Knight? Which were a year to 18 months later respectively.

Agreed. Alien Isolation was cross-gen though!

7 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

The only problem with Nintendo is you end up waiting at least another year for anything anywhere near as good as their launch titles. They're a law unto themselves.

Not on Switch. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pob said:

Agreed. Alien Isolation was cross-gen though!

Oh really? That's even more impressive. So it's basically 18 months in with Arkham Knight then.

You could make an argument for the current-gen versions of Battlefield 4 being much improved over the last-gen ports, but it was a hot mess on all platforms for about a year anyway.

Shadow of Mordor is usually cited as the first game of the current gen that couldn't be done fully-featured on the previous gen. That came out 10 months after the consoles.

Yeah it doesn’t really matter I think, I upgraded for Destiny which is cross gen, I think MS approach here is not only sensible but adds great value with the patch boosted cross gen games. 

I just can’t wait to see Halo Infinite running on their new engine on Series X, I imagine it will look fucking incredible and beyond anything we’ve seen so far - cross gen or otherwise. 

I am getting excited about this games reveal. I suppose we won't be hearing about price until the supposed August announcement of Lockhart?

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

I am getting excited about this games reveal. I suppose we won't be hearing about price until the supposed August announcement of Lockhart?

It looks like a stand off yeah, both parties won’t announce price until as late as possible. Hopefully it will drive prices down too.

24 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9264828

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, SeanR said:

except in the case of nintendo, when it's available at launch :hat:

switch maybe (though their biggest hitter was cross-gen, and their second biggest hitter a *paid repackaging of a game you’d already bought on wii-u - cf Mario Kart), wii if you liked wii sports.

Gamecube and Wii-U much less so.

but the console launch line ups last time round:

- Ryse, that at least looked pretty

- Forza 5, pretty but short on content and hey microtransactions

then

- Resogun 

so not really system sellers

13 minutes ago, footle said:

Resogun 

Genuinely surprised, the way people spoke of it was that it very much was worth buying a system for.

For the first few months on PS4 it was the only game i felt fully positive about on the system, the rest of launch was woeful. Superb game though - actually one of my favourites of the whole generation.

56 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

No-one's posted in the PS5 thread since Sunday, and when they were it was about price inflation and whether the UK Government is going to buy one for you. As has happened a few times before in this thread, if you're being concern trolled, you're doing it to yourselves. Just like when no-one trolled this thread during the PS5 reveal.

I'm going to post my genuine concerns there right now!

7 minutes ago, Clipper said:

For the first few months on PS4 it was the only game i felt dully positive about on the system, the rest of launch was woeful. Superb game though - actually one of my favourites of the whole generation.

I didn't like Resogun (I can't help that!) but I was just happy to have the fancy new hardware and a handful of pretty graphics. As someone pointed out earlier, unless it's Nintendo (or Microsoft that one lucky time with Halo CE) don't expect candidates for Game of the Generation at launch. 

I'm hyped and excited for the XsX and PS5 themselves and I can't wait to get my hands on them regardless! 

(There are a few titles around what's probably launch time that have genuine potential though, and at the very least I'll have Cyberpunk 2077 in 4k and rock solid performance!)

29 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Genuinely surprised, the way people spoke of it was that it very much was worth buying a system for.

It's a fantastic game, but not really the type of game people en masse buy consoles for.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

It was ok, and it was better than Killzone Shadowfall (as was Ryse), but it's hardly a Super Mario World, Mario 64, Halo CE, Wii Sports, BoTW, (or Wii Fit, Ring Fit Adventure, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing).

I completely agree regarding launch being rubbish usually on both formats. Resogun was a gem for me and for the whole generation - I love arcade style shooters in general*. I didn't buy XboxOne at launch but I don't recall any gems there.

Will be interesting to see if Halo Infinite bucks the trend  of Sony/MS launches being meh software wise

*Story based AAA stuff is just dull dull dull to me. I like games to be more reminiscent of older style arcade gaming loops.

The best games from the start of this generation were all cross-gen. Assassins' Creed Black Flag and Battlefield 4 are still some of my favourites, then a bit further down the line you had Alien Isolation, Metal Gear Solid V etc. Stuff that was rushed out to show off the new tech wasn't anywhere near as good.

Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3 were both very good launch games. 

• Upvote 2

I was late to the Bone party but Dead Rising 3 was indeed a very pleasant surprise for me midway through the generation! Far far better than 4 and a really good game, a perfect launch title in that regard. 

Xbox one had the better games for the first 18 months I’d argue, despite all the backlash at launch. I only got the system with the launch of the S model but I was seriously envious of Forza 5, Titanfall, killer instinct. 

I drifted away from gaming a little with the launch of the PS4, in large part because it didn’t have the games that interested me at first.   A large part of rediscovering a love of gaming came with the mid gen refresh and the Pro/S and then X models. Plus we then started to see games like Horizon Zero Dawn which really pushed the envelope. 

4 hours ago, footle said:

switch maybe (though their biggest hitter was cross-gen, and their second biggest hitter a *paid repackaging of a game you’d already bought on wii-u - cf Mario Kart), wii if you liked wii sports.

Gamecube and Wii-U much less so.

but the console launch line ups last time round:

- Ryse, that at least looked pretty

- Forza 5, pretty but short on content and hey microtransactions

then

- Resogun 

By any measure Switch had one of the best year one release schedules of any console regardless whether they were ports or cross gen  - and every game made use of the new hardware. 

3 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Halo infinite this time round :eyebrows:

Fuckin A and let’s not forget this is the first time since Halo CE that a Halo game has launched with the system - there really is a lot riding on it IMO. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

By any measure Switch had one of the best year one release schedules of any console regardless whether they were ports or cross gen  - and every game made use of the new hardware. 

sure, and I bought one for them.

But none of Zelda, Mario kart, odyssey or splatoon 2 really made use of the new hardware in a way that was transformative. 1-2 switch wasn’t.. good. I’d really say you were waiting for labo and ring fit adventure to get something that couldn’t have been released on Wii U. Two of the games above were launched on Wii U, and Splatoon 2 was a limited update.

17 minutes ago, footle said:

But none of Zelda, Mario kart, odyssey or splatoon 2 really made use of the new hardware in a way that was transformative. 1-2 switch wasn’t.. good. I’d really say you were waiting for labo and ring fit adventure to get something that couldn’t have been released on Wii U. Two of the games above were launched on Wii U, and Splatoon 2 was a limited update.

Apart from that the hardware itself was transformative. Not really sure what we’re arguing here tbh. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Fuckin A and let’s not forget this is the first time since Halo CE that a Halo game has launched with the system - there really is a lot riding on it IMO. 

Is there? Like what?  I could just play it on my X, unless that version is going to be hobbled somehow. For probably the first console releases ever I’m probably not going to buy either the new PS or XB going from what I know so far. 

39 minutes ago, footle said:

I could play Splatoon 2 in a cafe while on holiday waiting for my breakfast. That was pretty transformative to me.

Also “limited update”? It was a sequel. There’s a wee number 2 in the name and everything.