rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

Dat GPU cooling:

DB86FB68-343F-4AD9-A023-5D2A678724B0.jpeg.5494aad087aeebd51d613b23ac5b284c.jpeg

I wrote in the Retro folder that it looks like they forgot to leave room for the CD drive and had to cut down the cooler to make room.

1 minute ago, Pockets said:

Hopefully Sunak’s rumoured £500 vouchers will be redeemable against an XSX. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/05/sunak-considers-500-vouchers-for-all-uk-adults-to-spend-in-covid-hit-firms

As someone in the PS5 thread pointed out, this is a plan that a think-tank is promoting that they’ve presented to the government and which the government hasn’t acknowledged at all.

14 minutes ago, womble9 said:

I think that Kinect was / is a clever piece of kit too. Voice control, facial recognition and gesture control are all common place now and used many times a day to great effect on the smart phones / devices that we can't not have by our side 24/7. There's no argument at all that these features aren't far better implemented (seamlessly so) and put to better use on current devices than they were on Kinect so a part of me wonders if Kinects biggest problem was it perhaps being ahead of it's own time with a lack of ideas and experience in how and what to use the tech for leaving it dead in the water. 

If you've not seen it before then there's an interesting podcast that details the RROD issue:

Extract: 

Full (very interesting IMO) thing here: 

Your time stamp doesn’t work with an embedded video, what time is the RROD bit?

Skipping around that, I will have to watch the whole thing, it’s so candid. The Xbox pad was so big because the engineering firm they worked with couldn’t make the board any smaller. :lol: All the stuff about people preferring a large controller came later!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Skipping around that, I will have to watch the whole thing, it’s so candid. The Xbox pad was so big because the engineering firm they worked with couldn’t make the board any smaller. :lol: All the stuff about people preferring a large controller came later!

Thanks, sorted it (though the one in your quote now doesn't work!) and also added an audio link :).

There are loads of little bits in there like the circuit board issue, it's great watch / listen. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

As someone in the PS5 thread pointed out, this is a plan that a think-tank is promoting that they’ve presented to the government and which the government hasn’t acknowledged at all.

Well, they’ve said they’re not ruling it out but, yeah. 

9 minutes ago, Fusty Gusset said:

Anybody know or guesstimate when pre-orders will be up?

Probably as soon as they announce the price. 

1 hour ago, Fusty Gusset said:

August for price + S reveal according to mumblings.

2 hours ago, Fusty Gusset said:

Phil Spencer said late Summer in an interview. 

6 hours ago, Alex W. said:

astonishingly candid.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Gimme a line of that Forza Motorsport 8 Uncle Dan.

Hmm, it's been 3 yrs since 7.  No reason for a circuit racer to be XSX only.  Crossgen launch title with extra raytraced shinys for X?

14 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Hmm, it's been 3 yrs since 7.  No reason for a circuit racer to be XSX only.  Crossgen launch title with extra raytraced shinys for X?

It would be Xbox One and Series X - no first party Series X exclusives for the first 2 years.

1 hour ago, djbhammer said:

It would be Xbox One and Series X - no first party Series X exclusives for the first 2 years.

That statement was from last year.  Means no exclusives from MS for the first year, not two.

• Upvote 1

But you would presume they meant 2 years from when the console actually comes out. 

Apropos of nothing I had a dream where they announced a price point of £609. There was a distinctly Sega Saturn feel to it all. Woke up in a cold sweat, I did*

* I didn't. Fuck knows why I'm dreaming about Series x price points.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mars said:

But you would presume they meant 2 years from when the console actually comes out. 

The statement was from a January interview, so a little later than thought. What was actually said was:

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,” Booty explains. “We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

https://www.mcvuk.com/business-news/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/amp/

So I think it's likely they'll drop a next gen exclusive at the end of next year, not two years into the generation. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

June 23rd

untitled.png

EOOEAp2X0AQ57B5.jpg

tumblr_n2osqi4pUY1qcm0m3o1_500.gif

June?

Xbox Series X is so powerful it renders things a full month before the game booted.

• Upvote 5

Exactly. Phil has been firing on all cylinders since June. Boozy knows what he’s doing. :D

• Upvote 1