rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

On 02/07/2020 at 02:05, Sarlaccfood said:

Well up for the 23rd though. I know it’s just nostalgia talking but I’d love a legacy OG Xbox title like a new Jet Set Radio or Ninja Gaiden.

Much as I'd love to see another Ninja Garden, without Itagaki at the helm (and without all of Team Ninja backing him) I doubt Tecmo could ever match the brilliance of the two Xbox games. 

On 01/07/2020 at 23:52, metallicfrodo said:

While the single player may not have been the greatest, Halo 5’s multiplayer is peerless. @Kryptonian and I still play it on a regular basis and it’s incredible . I hope they manage to replicate that with Halo Infinite. While it’d be nice to have a great single player campaign I’ll still only spend a tiny minority of my time with it playing that.

It’s one of my favourite games of the generation, purely because of the MP. I’m just worried that the negative feedback Halo 4 and 5 have had and the sort of rebrand to Infinite is going to see a lot of the brilliant MP design choices booted.

Even the campaign is way better when you learn the ropes in MP. Still doesn’t stop the Warden being crap, though.

• Upvote 1

Some of the old Jet Set Radio leads were talking recently in interviews, saying they'd rather leave it for younger devs to pursue further games in the series. Maybe Sega will hand it out to an indie team or something, like with Streets of Rage and Sonic Mania.

Naganuma seems pretty active these days so they could probably get the music right, at least.

Any other lapsed 360 owners looking forward to the Series S? If the price is right I might get one for my 360 library and to catch up on Xbox One titles, while I wait to make a decision on which 4K console to buy.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Any other lapsed 360 owners looking forward to the Series S? If the price is right I might get one for my 360 library and to catch up on Xbox One titles, while I wait to make a decision on which 4K console to buy.

Technically I was, having moved over to PC a few years before the One launch.  Xbox lost it's way well before the One reveal.  Their exclusives stopped being interesting and my PC could play 3rd part stuff better. My daughter got an S a couple of Christmases ago.  I've ended up playing a fair amount of Gamepass stuff on it.  Itching to get a console with an SSD as much as anything.  Load times are just painful on current gen.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Xbox lost it's way well before the One reveal.

Yeah, the 360 was shit, wasn’t it?! :blink2:

As for the Series S, if the price is right, that’ll be my 2 lads sorted for Christmas.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Yeah, the 360 was shit, wasn’t it?!

That's not what I meant, I'm really fond of it! :)  For me, the PC overtook it as the best place for big 3rd party and indie titles.  Their first party had turned dull before they TV'd themselves.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

Yeah, the 360 was shit, wasn’t it?! :blink2:

Xbox 360: 2006 - 2010 *Chef's kiss* (ignoring red ring of death fiasco).

Xbox 360 + Kinect "You're the controller" bollocks: Yes. Yes it was.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

That's not what I meant, I'm really fond of it! :)  For me, the PC overtook it as the best place for big 3rd party and indie titles.  Their first party had turned dull before they TV'd themselves.

I know, I was only messing!

Think how many first party studios and exclusive gaming IPs they could have had by now if they didn't waste $$$ on the Kinect Project.

2 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Think how many first party studios and exclusive gaming IPs they could have had by now if they didn't waste $$$ on the Kinect Project.

They’ve bought loads over the last couple of years, so hopefully we’ll see what they’ve all been up to at the event. Kinect was such a stupid idea, what a total waste of time and money.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

They’ve bought loads over the last couple of years, so hopefully we’ll see what they’ve all been up to at the event. Kinect was such a stupid idea, what a total waste of time and money.

It was responsible for keeping the X360 in the lead for the later half of the generation, the console wouldn't have sold anywhere what it did without the boost Kinect gave it. They then used it for their living room master plan on the Next Gen. It or something similar would always had to have happened if they were to continue to pursue their living room dreams as a traditional console controller ain't going to cut it with non-gamers.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

It sold bonkers numbers though. So I get why it lead them down the wrong path.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Yep! Price permitting, I think it’s going to be my first of the next gen consoles while I wait for the PS5’s Bloodborne.

There’s not much to catch up on really for me apart from Forza Horizon but the idea of my 360 games and gamepass is the real pull and seems like the perfect way to fill the gap while the devs get their heads round the new generation. 

I just hope it comes out the same time as the Series X and looks like this:

3E327F47-BAA8-4AD6-A7A0-609969279BC6.thumb.jpeg.f7543c28af608a20d11fad742cb204f4.jpeg

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I just hope it comes out the same time as the Series X and looks like this:

The MS employee take home documents says hide it in a OneS/X case. It's going to look like a smaller version of the existing S/X sadly.

(Well, sort of sadly. I like the look of the current S/X)

• Upvote 1

I’m with you I think, if the Series S is a good price it will be very tempting. I was 360 only and then switched to PS4, so what are the main Xbox One exclusives I should be looking to catch up on?

Just now, Gigawatt said:

so what are the main Xbox One exclusives I should be looking to catch up on?

Get Gamepass. Most first party stuff is included as well as loads of fantastic 3rd party games you'll have missed (assuming your games spending is not totally crazy).

Going forward, all first part stuff will launch on Gamepass.  Four releases a year, a mix of blockbuster and smaller stuff.  Well, that's their plan anyway.

45 minutes ago, mushashi said:

It was responsible for keeping the X360 in the lead for the later half of the generation, the console wouldn't have sold anywhere what it did without the boost Kinect gave it.

What, where the PS3 caught up and outsold it worldwide by 2013 despite the 360 launching over a year earlier with a cheaper price and having several million 360's sold headstart? That lead? Wut.

If they had invested that Kinect money in 2009 into decent exclusives and studios (à la Sony) they would have won the generation quite comfortably and be in far better shape right now.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft didn't buy and then bury most of the Kinects sold in a desert somewhere to inflate its popularity.

• Empathy 1

37 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

The MS employee take home documents says hide it in a OneS/X case. It's going to look like a smaller version of the existing S/X sadly.

(Well, sort of sadly. I like the look of the current S/X)

I like the design of the One X, but that’s a terrible idea branding-wise. Looking at the above pic, it does all the explaining of what it is for you without needing to use words. 

Hopefully it’s just a dev kit they’re taking home.

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Hopefully it’s just a dev kit they’re taking home

With the Series X take home advice was to hide it in a PC tower or subwoofer, so probably not.  There's only one dev kit with profiles for both consoles, as far as I know.  Looks like this:

image.thumb.png.8bba4c599ec5d75bd4a72319c7cb2518.png

53 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Get Gamepass. Most first party stuff is included as well as loads of fantastic 3rd party games you'll have missed (assuming your games spending is not totally crazy).

Going forward, all first part stuff will launch on Gamepass.  Four releases a year, a mix of blockbuster and smaller stuff.  Well, that's their plan anyway.

Sorry I should have added that my son has a One S and Gamepass so I guess we could share that? We played through the whole MCC (on easy, he’s not up for legendary yet) in split-screen which was a great bonding experience. Reach is my favourite. 

I still haven’t played Halo 5 or Gears 5, I was just wondering if there are any other obvious exclusives I’ve missed. 

11 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Sorry I should have added that my son has a One S and Gamepass so I guess we could share that? We played through the whole MCC (on easy, he’s not up for legendary yet) in split-screen which was a great bonding experience. Reach is my favourite. 

I still haven’t played Halo 5 or Gears 5, I was just wondering if there are any other obvious exclusives I’ve missed. 

If the console's his primary you can play his games, including gamepass ones.  If not, he'd need to be logged in as well (I think).

Forza Horizon 4 has a few mentions above, that's great for most people. YMMV on these but some exclusives: Sea of Thieves. State of Decay 2.  Halo Wars 1/2, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Rare Replay. The three main Fables. Ori 1 & 2. Killer Instinct

• Upvote 1

Just as an aside... the Kinect was actually a pretty clever bit of tech hardware and is still used in loads of contexts other than gaming (augmented reality stuff, interconnected robotic movement related sciency stuff, university projects, etc...). I have a mate that uses one in his university lab still. It just wasn't a great as mainstream gaming accessory and a pretty huge gamble.

Anyway, regardless of it's flaws I absolutely adored my 360, and in fairness Microsoft could not have handled my 2 RROD replacements better (other than them not happening in the first place obviously). I did end up getting a PS3 super slim on sale right at the end of the generation basically to play Gran Turismo and Last of Us, but the 360 will always have a special place in my gaming heart. Series S looking like the front runner for me depending on a few of the final spec details when we know them.

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

It sold bonkers numbers though. So I get why it lead them down the wrong path.

This.

I’m sort of tempted with a Series S as a cheap PS5 companion, although I am upgrading to a 4K set at the same time. Obvs won’t get the full 4K glory but it should still be good right?

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Just as an aside... the Kinect was actually a pretty clever bit of tech hardware and is still used in loads of contexts other than gaming (augmented reality stuff, interconnected robotic movement related sciency stuff, university projects, etc...). I have a mate that uses one in his university lab still. It just wasn't a great as mainstream gaming accessory and a pretty huge gamble.

I think that Kinect was / is a clever piece of kit too. Voice control, facial recognition and gesture control are all common place now and used many times a day to great effect on the smart phones / devices that we can't not have by our side 24/7. There's no argument at all that these features aren't far better implemented (seamlessly so) and put to better use on current devices than they were on Kinect so a part of me wonders if Kinects biggest problem was it perhaps being ahead of it's own time with a lack of ideas and experience in how and what to use the tech for leaving it dead in the water. 

16 hours ago, FiveFootNinja said:

Anyway, regardless of it's flaws I absolutely adored my 360, and in fairness Microsoft could not have handled my 2 RROD replacements better (other than them not happening in the first place obviously).

If you've not seen it before then there's an interesting podcast that details the RROD issue:

Extract: 

Full (very interesting IMO) thing here: 

Audio link: https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/0/c/10c1797fbf6b66c2/Podcast_Unlocked_Episode_201.mp3?c_id=9327622&cs_id=9327622&expiration=1593958617&hwt=8f19630cb516010bef57735c001cf0c0

• Upvote 1