rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X

I've bought physical games.  But I've not bought them from GAME.  CEX are better for used, literally anywhere is better for new.

I still buy occasional disc games.  Mainly digital, but rarely (ever?) Full price.  I would maybe go for more digital games if the international stores were still available easily and the pound was worth a bit more. On top of that, part of me feels that the 15 years I've been amassing games on my Live account means I've got a lot invested there and it could all be at risk if banning people buying from Argentina's marketplace becomes a thing.

As a result, I'm about to order Cyberpunk for £43, it's £60 on the dashboard. I'm OK with taking the inconvenience of occasionally swapping a disc in and out.  

• Upvote 1

Eurogamer are reporting that the Series S reveal was originally scheduled for this month, but has been pushed back to August. At any rate, it’s probably not far away:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-29-microsoft-will-close-out-june-without-a-big-xbox-20-20-moment

I can’t be bothered to find the relevant articles but the rumours are crystallising around the same CPU at the same speed as the Series X, the same SSD, but about half the RAM and one quarter the GPU power to do one quarter the resolution. Almost exactly a Series X for 1080p TVs.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Eurogamer are reporting that the Series S reveal was originally scheduled for this month, but has been pushed back to August. At any rate, it’s probably not far away:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-29-microsoft-will-close-out-june-without-a-big-xbox-20-20-moment

I can’t be bothered to find the relevant articles but the rumours are crystallising around the same CPU at the same speed as the Series X, the same SSD, but about half the RAM and one quarter the GPU power to do one quarter the resolution. Almost exactly a Series X for 1080p TVs.

I'm not sure how I feel about a next gen xbox that does 1080 only.    I wonder if they'll push to get it doing 1440p checkerboarded up to 4K like the Ps4Pro does?   That would make more sense to me from a marketing point of view.   One does proper 4K (most of the time).  The other does FauxK and is much cheaper.  Maybe

Yeah, I think I read something about a higher resolution. Checkerboarding that to 4K could be good enough for most people without sacrificing their performance down the road because Series X will be there.

I don't really understand the point of a 1440p box. It surely wouldn't be enough less of a machine required for that to be worthwhile. A 1080p box does make sense: there's loads to be said for a box putting out HDR, graphically complex games at a resolution most people couldn't tell apart at their viewing distances. 1080 scales perfectly onto a 4k screen etc. If you're going to have a cut-price machine, make it cheaper.

Or it might anti-alias and output a 4k image even if its 1080p graphics.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't really understand the point of a 1440p box. It surely wouldn't be enough less of a machine required for that to be worthwhile. A 1080p box does make sense: there's loads to be said for a box putting out HDR, graphically games at a resolution most people couldn't tell apart at their viewing distances. 1080 scales perfectly onto a 4k screen etc. If you're going to have a cut-price machine, make it cheaper.

I think the 1440p talk is more of a case of running dynamic resolution.  Busy scenes dropping down to 1080p.  Smaller indie titles and  BC could probably run native 4k.

51 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Checkerboarding that to 4K could be good enough for most people without sacrificing their performance down the road because Series X will be there

If the XSX is using checkerboarding or similar to achieve 4k then the S will be using it to achive 1080p.  If raytraced reflections are handled in a similar way to GT7, the relative performance of Lockhart to PS5 would mean 480p reflections.

I do wonder if MS’s adherence to giving everybody the means to play everything will result in the Series X console never actually being pushed to its absolute limits. 

I mean, at least with Sony the only decision you have to make is whether to keep the disc player in there or bite the bullet and go digital. Either way at the end of itks life you’re going to have seen that machine thrashed within an inch of its life as devs crunch away and milk those Playstation udders as much as they can possibly be milked.

4 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I do wonder if MS’s adherence to giving everybody the means to play everything will result in the Series X console never actually being pushed to its absolute limits.

3rd party developers can push as much as they want though.

You lot seem to be putting a lot of thought into this “1080p Xbox” when the important bit is that it’s a cheap Xbox, for people who don’t care about how many peas their console has inside it. A next gen experience in terms of load times, system functions (like multiple game resume), etc, but at a very affordable price point.

• Upvote 3

My TVs only 720p. In order to justify a new TV I’d need a new console, rather than the other way around.

4 hours ago, monkeydog said:

If the XSX is using checkerboarding or similar to achieve 4k

Would it need to? The One X does native 4k.

I have a 1080p projector which I probably won’t upgrade for a while. A 1080p Series S at a good price would be very tempting. 

8 hours ago, Hitcher said:

3rd party developers can push as much as they want though.

They’re still going to have to make the game run on the base units aren’t they? Or is that just a MS Studio thing now?

8 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Do games not push PCs to their limits ? 

Nope, not really. At least, I can’t think of much that has pushed those limits since Crysis!

3 hours ago, TehStu said:

Would it need to? The One X does native 4k.

It'll depends on the game.  I'm thinking more about more modern temporal reconstruction in next gen games than checkerbaording specifically. 

Raytraced components will always be using some sort of temporal reconstruction/upscaling, as that's how we've ended up with realtime raytracing being possible.  

Based on what we know at the moment, games using UE5 nanite & lumen are unlikely to be native even on XSX.  It was 1440p 30fps on PS5 and XBX isn't that much faster.  UE5's wizzy lighting is really expensive. 

32 minutes ago, JoeK said:

They’re still going to have to make the game run on the base units aren’t they? Or is that just a MS Studio thing now?

The One S and One X? No, third parties can make next gen exclusive games if they want. Microsoft have said all their first party stuff will be cross gen for the first couple of years but even they are eventually going to move away from the Bone. 

4 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Microsoft have said all their first party stuff will be cross gen for the first couple of years

MS said that they'd be cross gen for a couple of years six months ago, so it's likely we'll see Series only titles next Christmas.

What’s going to be the difference between the X and the series S? Is the X more powerful?

(And Jesus Microsoft you have made this convoluted and confusing. Lord knows how the general consumer will navigate your naming conventions.)

• Upvote 1

Bearing in mind for the moment that it's rumour, the X is the powerful one. You have the X, aimed at the top end, for people with big 4K TVs. Then the S aimed at people without 4K Tvs, or for whom graphics and pixels are less important than money.

It strikes me as a smart way to create two units, one of which is affordable. Most people, despite what they tell you, can't tell the difference from 1080p to 4K based on their screen size and viewing distance. If you make a box with all the same capabilities but that's only capable of putting it out over fewer pixels, you can presumably build it more significantly cheaper than the PS5 digital is cheaper than the disc unit. (What would that be? Everything the same except the GPU - which would have to support all the RDNA2 stuff, but presumably not as much horsepower to output it to 4K res? I don't know what that implies for cost, but it feels like more than just taking a disc drive out.) 

And when you consider that the first party output won't be Series X exclusive for a good while, it fits well with MS's vision to have you playing your games where you want to, not where they say you have to.

This is the split and gamble for the first wave of the next gen, right? MS saying in effect, "we're the nicer more considerate company - we have back-compatibility, a wide range of price points, you can play on everything from a One S through to a Series X (and all those things will carry forward if/when you upgrade), we have GamePass and all that." Sony saying "PS5 games will look AMAZING (even though we've got less FLOPS, throwing the old gen under the bus lets us use what we put in there)"

And then it comes down to whether there's anything there in reality that makes next-gen exclusives obviously better.

• Upvote 3

I don't think it'll be much cheaper though because there's very little they can cut down, assuming they expect it to run every Xbox X game in 1080P.

It has to have the same CPU, and if a game starts using the GPU for physics calculations you've just limited that ability even on an X if you require it to run on something less powerful.

I dont think a cut down console is a good idea when stacked against sonys surprise move of an all digital. Releasing a cut down model just adds flames to the playground arguments and comments in every review that it runs better on PS5/XSX.  But then again I can see attraction to parents if it lands sub £300 for Christmas. 

4 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

What’s going to be the difference between the X and the series S? Is the X more powerful?

(And Jesus Microsoft you have made this convoluted and confusing. Lord knows how the general consumer will navigate your naming conventions.)

Please stop with this utter shite. The general consumer will see the massive price differentiation and buy a PS5 cos their mate said it's the best.

but you'll still be able to play series X-clusives on the series S, right?

52 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Have they made it confusing? Is it confusing because everyone is guessing? Microsoft haven't announced the system, how it might be used, etc. 

Will the xbox one still be on sale alongside two new consoles? 

Will both new consoles be on sale in every country? 

Will they differentiate the consoles?

All these questions and more to be answered after the console is actually announced.  

3 minutes ago, SeanR said:

but you'll still be able to play series X-clusives on the series S, right?

Based on all their recent messaging then yes. All new Xbox games would run on One X, Series S and Series X. Actually, not sure about a standard One. 

There might be some ‘Only for Series S/X’ games at some point, but not initially, as we understand it right now. 

Microsoft’s big gamble is that by the time developers are spun up enough to want to do Xbox Series and PS5 exclusives, the previous gen machines will be dead anyway. And looking at the big cross-generation overlap for, what, the first 18 months of the PS4 and Xbox One, they might not be wrong.

It’s not like their baseline for this is the original Xbox One or even the One S. The One X is well-positioned in form factor and price to become their current-generation entry-level console. And if the last year of One S games wind up only being 720p and a wobbly 20-30fps, do we care?

• Upvote 1

It’s really very simple. Both the Series S and X will play the same games. The Series S at 1080 and the X at 4K. The first wave or two of games will also run on the current Xbox.

If the rumours are true, of course. And this is just a few of us coming to the obvious, logical conclusion without MS even announcing it yet.

Edit: For some reason I quoted Dudley, but this was meant for you @Dirty Harry Potter