rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

1 minute ago, Ghosty said:

Ok look. 4K TV's are cheap. But to watch 4K isn't. Sky Q for example. That's like £60 a month.

Guess they'll be wanting a nice new console to show off 4k then! Good job they support it, phew.

Just now, PeteBrant said:

The general public won’t have a choice fairly soon . In that that’s all that be available ( and 8k obvs) . This is the exact same argument that happened with 1080p . 

Yeah exactly, so expecting consoles not to support it is crazy, it’s not even an issue. 

3 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

The general public won’t have a choice fairly soon . In that that’s all that be available ( and 8k obvs) . This is the exact same argument that happened with 1080p . 

Sony have been trying to push 4K for years now, with little success. It will be exciting to see how it plays out over the next few months.

3 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Sony have been trying to push 4K for year now, with little success

I know . Aside from 4k Blu-ray ,sky, virgin , BT , Netflix, amazon, Disney, Microsoft, LG , Samsung, Panasonic, Huawei, toshiba, Phillips, and Christ know who else they are standing alone holding the 4k flag hoping desperately the winds will pick up. 

cant see it taking off myself .

• Upvote 6

Just now, Ghosty said:

Sony have been trying to push 4K for year now, with little success. 

Just Sony? Name me a TV manufacturer that isn’t  pushing 4K, or even 8K?

There are plenty of alternatives to sky for 4K viewing content, Gigabit internet is rolling out to Virgin customers and will be across their whole network by next year. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro weren't flops and ghosty is an alt or joke account.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, amc said:

Xbox One X and PS4 Pro weren't flops and ghosty is an alt or joke account.

OK, prove me wrong then? Go on. 

• Downvote 3

Just now, Ghosty said:

OK, prove me wrong then? Go on. 

And the earth is flat, go on prove me wrong? 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Just Sony? Name me a TV manufacturer that isn’t  pushing 4K, or even 8K?

Well. The big thing is OLED right now. At least with Samsung and LG. But there is screen burning issues with games.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

And the earth is flat, go on prove me wrong? 

I'm more than happy to eat my own words if proven wrong. Poor sales, not the earth being flat.

2 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Ban request @Ghosty I’m too old and gullible for this shit :blah:

Your old or I am old? I'm confused. I did own a SNES on release, so....

According to Jim Ryan in 2017, 1 in 5 PS4's sold was a Pro. That's the best I can do. 

Just now, mdn2 said:

According to Jim Ryan in 2017, 1 in 5 PS4's sold was a Pro. That's the best I can do. 

1 in 5? Hmmm.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, mdn2 said:

And despite abject failure they’re still pushing ahead with it for their next one, along MS, Apple, Samsung etc. The fools. 

£499 for this level of hardware would be very cheap and I would be surprised at less than £549. Lower than £500 ain't happening I think.

Won't stay that high for long though - the One X dropped fairly quickly didn't it? In the sense you could pick one up for £349 or less within a year or so

3 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

1 in 5? Hmmm.

That's pretty decent, actually. 

3 minutes ago, Uzi said:

£499 for this level of hardware would be very cheap and I would be surprised at less than £549. Before £500 ain't happening I think.

Won't stay that high for long though - the One X dropped fairly quickly didn't it? In the sense you could pick one up for £349 or less within a year or so

All depends on sales . If it sells the price stays up ( see PS Pro) of its doesn’t , it drops ( Xbox one /ps3) .

But it’s always the same , the pioneers pay top dollar, and most people here fall into that bracket . And I think mostly we are fine with that .

13 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Well. The big thing is OLED right now. At least with Samsung and LG. But there is screen burning issues with games.

All the OLED's are 4 or 8k. 1080p is dead - ease of unscaling to 4k doesn't mean 1080p broadcast or streaming content is dead but as a mainstream display resolution it is.

There also isn't screen burning on current model panels unless you actually abuse the screen. You can't just play a game for a few hours and have the screen burn. 

7 minutes ago, Uzi said:

All the OLED's are 4 or 8k. 1080p is dead - ease of unscaling to 4k doesn't mean 1080p broadcast or streaming content is dead but as a mainstream display resolution it is.

4k isn't straight forward either. And it also depends on the 4K TV you own too. But I'm excited to see what the games will look and play like on both consoles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

4 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Which bit do you think isn’t straight forward ? 

Examples of some 4K resolutions used in displays and media

FormatResolutionAspect RatioPixels

-4096 × 30721.33∶1 (4∶3)12,582,912

-4096 × 25601.60∶1 (16∶10)10,485,760

-4096 × 23041.77∶1 (16∶9)9,437,184

DCI 4K (full frame)4096 × 2160≈1.90∶1 (256∶135)8,847,360

DCI 4K (CinemaScope cropped)4096 × 1716≈2.39∶1 (1024∶429)7,020,544

DCI 4K (flat cropped)3996 × 21601.85∶1 (≈37∶20)8,631,360

WQUXGA3840 × 24001.60∶1 (16∶10)9,216,000

4K UHD3840 × 21601.77∶1 (16∶9)8,294,400

-3840 × 16002.40∶1 (12∶5)6,144,000

-3840 × 10803.55∶1 (32∶9)4,147,200

• Downvote 7

Non standard resolutions have nothing to do with 4k as a standard. The above is a truly "wut" post

• Upvote 3

@Ghosty Utterly irrelevant . There’s one number you need to know  ; 3840x2160. 
It even says it there on your list under 4k uhd .

And you don’t even need to worry about that since you plug in your equipment and it works . Job done . It’s not like you plug ina 4 k Blu-ray player or 4K console and then it asks which out of that list you want . It just plugs in and works . 

5 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Utterly irrelevant . There’s one number you need to know  ; 3840x2160. 
if even says it there on your list under 4k uhd .

And you don’t even need to worry about that since you plug in your equipment and it works . Job done . It’s not like you plug ina 4 k Blu-ray player or 4K console and then it asks which out of that list you want . It just plugs in and works . 

Fair enough. But. What if your TV doesn't support UHD 4K?

• Downvote 2

So to answer your question Sony and MS don’t need to do anything to sell you the benefits of 4K, just as they didn’t need to sell the benefits of HD this gen, that work is done.

6 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Fair enough. But. What if your TV doesn't support UHD 4K?

Then in the unlikely event you have bought the only 4k set on the planet that doesn’t support the industry standard, I guess you’re fucked. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Then in the unlikely event you have bought the only 4k set on the planet that doesn’t support the industry standard, I guess you’re fucked. 

Yeah.... My TV needs an upgrade in that case. But then I need good image quality on top of the UHD, or I'll just moan.

Just now, Ghosty said:

Yeah.... My TV needs an upgrade in that case.

You have a 4k set that doesn’t support 4k? 

or do you mean you have a 1080p set ? In which case it doesn’t matter, it will just display at 1080p

All those lost spaces/TABs in that resolution list post makes it... hard to read