Jump to content
rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

 

Not at first it won't. This is a fact. Don't argue with facts, kid. 

 

I'm not worried about anything, I'll just be getting a PS5 to begin with. :)

 

Have fun... Er... Kid :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Not at first it won't. This is a fact. Don't argue with facts, kid. 

What do you mean? I haven’t looked into it, but I’m assuming there’ll be a few next gen games at launch. Halo: Infinite is a definite for one. Just because you’ll be able to play an inferior version on current consoles, doesn’t mean it isn’t being designed primarily for next gen hardware. Unles you’re telling me that the only games I’ll be able to play on the Series X are games designed for the current Xbox range?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering just how little we actually know about each console at this point it seems a bit early to to be taking such a concrete position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JPL said:

What do you mean? I haven’t looked into it, but I’m assuming there’ll be a few next gen games at launch. Halo: Infinite is a definite for one. Just because you’ll be able to play an inferior version on current consoles, doesn’t mean it isn’t being designed primarily for next gen hardware. Unles you’re telling me that the only games I’ll be able to play on the Series X are games designed for the current Xbox range?

 

I think the interpretation of "next gen games" is a game that you can only play on the new generation of gaming hardware. Different people obviously have different interpretations...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wallace said:

 

I think the interpretation of "next gen games" is a game that you can only play on the new generation of gaming hardware. Different people obviously have different interpretations...

It seems madness to me that people are finding negatives in such a consumer positive move. Doesn’t it go without saying that all the launch games for Series X will be significantly better than the versions you’ll be able to play on current consoles? For all intents and purposes, they’ll be next gen games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wallace said:

 

I think the interpretation of "next gen games" is a game that you can only play on the new generation of gaming hardware. Different people obviously have different interpretations...

 

It's not open to interpretation, that is what a next-generation game is. If the same game is on old and new consoles it's cross-gen. 

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

It seems madness to me that people are finding negatives in such a consumer positive move. Doesn’t it go without saying that all the launch games for Series X will be significantly better than the versions you’ll be able to play on current consoles? For all intents and purposes, they’ll be next gen games.

 

I literally said it was a noble move by MS. I'm not sure what you're finding so confusing here. 

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can take their sweet time with any exclusives on SX for all I care; Halo is looking great, if the visuals from the Series X trailer is anything to go by.

 

And I counted my games on Xbox this morning: 160 Xbox One games, 140 OG Xbox/360 games. Around 300 games, plus everything on game pass (100+) all carrying over to next gen. Thats pretty amazing.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

 

It's not open to interpretation, that is what a next-generation game is. If the same game is on old and new consoles it's cross-gen. 

 

It is, for I have my own interpretation of them that is different to yours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:

They can take their sweet time with any exclusives on SX for all I care; Halo is looking great, if the visuals from the Series X trailer is anything to go by.

 

And I counted my games on Xbox this morning: 160 Xbox One games, 140 OG Xbox/360 games. Around 300 games, plus everything on game pass (100+) all carrying over to next gen. Thats pretty amazing.

 

I'm afraid to look at my library, but I don't think it's quite as ridiculous as that! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

It's not open to interpretation, that is what a next-generation game is.

By that assumption there's no such thing as a next-gen PC game then.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I know what MS are doing and I know why they're doing it, and in a way it's quite noble of them, but in terms of deciding which next-gen console to get at launch I personally would rather have the one with the next-gen games. That's all I'm saying. 

What makes you think they won’t be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Microsoft announced they were going to drop Xbox One and focus on Series X they would get called out for it. They just can't win.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

By that assumption there's no such thing as a next-gen PC game then.

 

PCs constantly evolve, they don't have generations. 

10 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What makes you think they won’t be?

 

Because that's what they've said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chadruharazzeb said:

Because that's what they've said. 

No, they’ve said that they’re doing away with generations, not that they won’t support the new hardware with extra features. 
 

I mean I think you might be disappointed if you believe that PS5 will somehow have way more advanced games than on Xbox come launch, that’s just not going to happen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Majora said:

If a game has to be able to run adequately on that 7 year old Jaguar CPU that was underpowered in 2013 then it can't, by definition, also be taking full advantage of a massively more powerful CPU and increased SSD speeds. 

 

Series X versions of the game will probably run at a higher res and framerate and have ray tracing and more visual effects and so on but it is logistically impossible for it to be taking full advantage of the new hardware in the same way an exclusive built from the ground up would. 

 

People in this thread seem to think they can just build a game for the series X and then keep turning down the graphics settings until it runs ok on the One S but if you were actually taking full advantage of that CPU and SSD and RAM it wouldn't be possible. Halo Infinite and all those other games coming in the first year of the series X launch will be designed first and foremost to run ok on the One S and One X and then scaled up to look prettier on the Series X, not vice versa.

What makes you think that all the PS5 launch games will be taking full advantage of the consoles improvements over this gen? It usually takes a good couple of years for devs to get fully to grips with the new gen anyway.

 

As bear said a few posts back, it seems a bit rash to be judging things before we’ve even seen anything. I’m looking forward to seeing how it all pans out, but I’m sure it won’t be as bad as people are making out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PC game minimum specs only go back so far.  But they do go back quite a bit and if you knock down a game to insanely low settings - they will look pretty horrible in some cases because the devs know the ultra low specs are likely a small use case - most of their userbase will likely fall somewhere in the middle between extremely low and high end hardware. 

 

Here is (likely an extreme) example with the Witcher 3 - do you think MS will allow the base xbox one version of a game to go out like this? PC minimum specs and what MS will allow will be two entirely different worlds

 

 

But this is also the reason sometimes exclusive console games can beat PC visuals handily with equivalent hardware. The PS4 pro is nothing special for example - it has the GPU power of what... a GTX 970? But look at games like God of War running on it - it would be impossible for anything near a GTX 970 level system to run something that well and it likely is because the devs have a smaller set range of one CPU and two GPUS and that's it. I'm sure the wider that range goes the harder it gets to really focus on higher end effects because the gameplay and core visual experience needs to have a set foundation working between hardware from 2013 to seven years onwards and beyond. Like with everything in computing and development there is a compromise somewhere and that grows the wider that gap needs to be.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

 

Not at first it won't. This is a fact. Don't argue with facts, kid.

 

Oh my christ. :lol:    Calling someone else kid.  So cringe worthy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Majora said:

If a game has to be able to run adequately on that 7 year old Jaguar CPU that was underpowered in 2013 then it can't, by definition, also be taking full advantage of a massively more powerful CPU and increased SSD speeds. 

 

Series X versions of the game will probably run at a higher res and framerate and have ray tracing and more visual effects and so on but it is logistically impossible for it to be taking full advantage of the new hardware in the same way an exclusive built from the ground up would. 

 

People in this thread seem to think they can just build a game for the series X and then keep turning down the graphics settings until it runs ok on the One S but if you were actually taking full advantage of that CPU and SSD and RAM it wouldn't be possible. Halo Infinite and all those other games coming in the first year of the series X launch will be designed first and foremost to run ok on the One S and One X and then scaled up to look prettier on the Series X, not vice versa.

AAA games take years to produce, when they started Halo Infinite they probably had no idea what the next gen specs would be so they’d have to work with what they know is is possible today until those specs are finalised, years into development, so there’s no way they could take full advantage of that system even if they wanted to - and this is no different from any games Sony has in development either, bearing in mind that they’re both using similar hardware with parts from the same manufacturer - they don’t have some kind of secret knowledge or foresight which was held back from Microsoft. 
 

So yes that will mean, probably, in Halo Infinite’s case, better frame rate, higher resolution, greater foliage density, faster loading, improved graphical effects - perhaps it will feature modes on Series X not available on older hardware, we don’t know, but it’s unlikely Sony will be doing much different either, that stuff is years down the line once software development catches up with the hardware. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JPL said:

What makes you think that all the PS5 launch games will be taking full advantage of the consoles improvements over this gen? It usually takes a good couple of years for devs to get fully to grips with the new gen anyway.

 

As bear said a few posts back, it seems a bit rash to be judging things before we’ve even seen anything. I’m looking forward to seeing how it all pans out, but I’m sure it won’t be as bad as people are making out.

Er, that's a bit of a strawman you've thrown in there with the PS5 comment. Majora didn't once mention the PS5, he was only ever talking about the Xbox, and his comments are sound. 

 

To be honest, neither of the two main competitors of this forthcoming console generation have shown any real competence. They've both been corporate dipsticks. I'm starting to get the feeling my switch to back to PC gaming last year was somewhat prescient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

 

Oh my christ. :lol:    Calling someone else kid.  So cringe worthy.

 

You are dissing Han Solo. You have no soul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What games are you playing on PC that you can’t on console? Genuine question btw because as far as I was aware it’s mainly multi platform stuff on PC nowadays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Er, that's a bit of a strawman you've thrown in there with the PS5 comment. Majora didn't once mention the PS5, he was only ever talking about the Xbox, and his comments are sound. 

 

To be honest, neither of the two main competitors of this forthcoming console generation have shown any real competence. They've both been corporate dipsticks. I'm starting to get the feeling my switch to back to PC gaming last year was somewhat prescient. 

I was just pointing out it’s not something that is exclusive to MS. Sony will be in exactly the same boat. Stanley’s already explained it a couple of posts up, so I won’t go over it again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact is that both these new consoles will be pretty similar and there’s nothing to stop Sony making PS5 games run on PS4 as they share the same architecture. The decision not to is likely just a business decision at this stage, nothing more. 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Orbital2060 said:


Poor choice of words. Many of the studios that have joined XGS have been in need of some kind of financial stability. I doubt the people getting up to work in these studios every day appreciate the idea that someone thinks they have been ‘bought’.

 

A number of questions: What term would you prefer to describe this process of acquisition? Why is ‘bought’ in scare quotes? In what sense could that term be seen as a pejorative in this context? Why would the people who work in these studios not appreciate it if they knew someone was referring to their studio as having being bought by Microsoft when that’s exactly what happened? Given some of these studios were, as you point out, in financial peril - wouldn’t the fact they’ve been bought by a deep-pocketed multinational who can keep them employed be of some considerable comfort to them? What do you imagine is so problematic with being bought by Microsoft that you’d need to describe it euphemistically?

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stanley said:

The fact is that both these new consoles will be pretty similar and there’s nothing to stop Sony making PS5 games run on PS4 as they share the same architecture. The decision not to is likely just a business decision at this stage, nothing more. 

 

Sony haven't announced that they aren't making PS5 exclusive games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firstly, for all the people in here repeatedly saying that there were no exclusives on PS4 for ages after release: Bloodborne came out four months after release and is by most definitions one of the best games of the generation. I bought a PS4 far earlier than I would have purely because last gen Sony had an amazing, exclusive game ready to go in the first six months.

 

I’m torn on the X1SX1X. Because despite Bloodborne existing, Killzone and Knack were shite, and the third parties will never bother to take advantage of new hardware this early unless the console owner pays them to. And my launch model PS4 and Xbox one are both starting to feel creaky as fuck, so I need a new console and guaranteed support of hundreds of old games for basically no money is pretty tempting.

 

On the other hand, what if Sony have something like a Bloodborne, ready to go near launch? That just sells me their console, and it does feel like Microsoft have shut themselves off from being able to do that. If Halo is as good as I hope, then I can try it on my PC, and if it’s good I’m going to keep playing it there. Microsoft’s portfolio being so heavy with shooting based games makes a lot of them better on PC. There’s still the problem of Sony having Japanese exclusives, and that’s quite a lot of factors that mean I’ll probably end up getting tempted into buying a PS5 for some exclusive, and it will become my de-facto gaming machine for the generation. I guess it depends mostly on the games though.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bloodborne came out in March 2015? PS4 launched Nov 13

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

 

A number of questions: What term would you prefer to describe this process of acquisition? Why is ‘bought’ in scare quotes? In what sense could that term be seen as a pejorative in this context? Why would the people who work in these studios not appreciate it if they knew someone was referring to their studio as having being bought by Microsoft when that’s exactly what happened? Given some of these studios were, as you point out, in financial peril - wouldn’t the fact they’ve been bought by a deep-pocketed multinational who can keep them employed be of some considerable comfort to them? What do you imagine is so problematic with being bought by Microsoft that you’d need to describe it euphemistically?


Im not gonna answer any of your questions.

 

Every one of your posts in Xbox threads are patronising and reductive.

Edited by sjeh
Offensive Language
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.