rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - power your dreams

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

I had a similar experience, twice, when I returned my faulty Elite pad. MS do NOT have any 'new' pads available - I was advised that they are *all* returns and in my experience are nothing like the refurbished type you would expect. I ended up using the EU Dispute Resolution portal to secure a refund (which arrived in the form of a cheque from the US). The chap I dealt with in the US confirmed that the service centres are unable (for whatever reason) to ship out new controllers - they will *always* be 'refurbs'.

Ugh, thats depressing. I was expecting an apple style, "would pass for new" style refurbishment.

Did you need to provide a reciept showing what you paid in order to get a refund?

Purely anecdotal, but my Design Lab controller seems better built than the standard one that came with my One X. I opted for the rubberised grip and it hasn't shown any signs of wear after 200+ hours of use.

I'm curious to see if the Share button is the extent of major changes to the Series controller. Personally I'd quite like them to add motion controls so more games might integrate them as an option; they're easily my favourite way to type using a controller and it's bizarre how few PS4 games let you use motion for aim tweaking.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ferine said:

Purely anecdotal, but my Design Lab controller seems better built than the standard one that came with my One X. I opted for the rubberised grip and it hasn't shown any signs of wear after 200+ hours of use.

I'm curious to see if the Share button is the extent of major changes to the Series controller. Personally I'd quite like them to add motion controls so more games might integrate them as an option; they're easily my favourite way to type using a controller and it's bizarre how few PS4 games let you use motion for aim tweaking.

I love the design lab pad. It's my main controller and build quality does seem higher than the others I have had. It is a newer

replacement though. I had one from when the program first launched (ordered within a week of announcement), and it fell apart.

3 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The extra HDMI port did remind me of that brief window where MS said their backwards compatibility solution was plugging an entire Xbox 360  in to the Xbox One.

That sounds awsome, they could have sold like a big black monolith shell you put your 360 inside so they match.

Both Sony and Microsoft should start using Nintendo's magic pro-controller batteries

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

That sounds awsome, they could have sold like a big black monolith shell you put your 360 inside so they match

What made it even more awesome was that set-up caused unplayable input lag on those 360 games. The Mattrick era was an unbelievably entertaining time of one WTF after another :lol:

3 hours ago, The Mighty Ash said:

Ugh, thats depressing. I was expecting an apple style, "would pass for new" style refurbishment.

Did you need to provide a reciept showing what you paid in order to get a refund?

Yeah I think I had to provide the Argos receipt - I paid something like £90-100 in one of the promotions that ran a couple of years ago and that was what I got back from MS.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

What made it even more awesome was that set-up caused unplayable input lag on those 360 games. The Mattrick era was an unbelievably entertaining time of one WTF after another :lol:

Gah, I had visions of perfect emulation from the 360 (cos it's real) + fantastic upscaling from the beefy XB1 :( 

27 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yeah I think I had to provide the Argos receipt - I paid something like £90-100 in one of the promotions that ran a couple of years ago and that was what I got back from MS.

Great, I did the same. Will go down that route if I get another dud pad.

36 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Gah, I had visions of perfect emulation from the 360 (cos it's real) + fantastic upscaling from the beefy XB1 :( 

No upscaling either in that set-up I'm afraid, that just pumps a videosignal as is through for television and such. Afaik. That also explains the lag, it was not made to pump a gaming signal through. 

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/227520/xbox-series-x-ports-revealed

As it stands right now, the series X features, on the back of the hardware, two USB-A ports (of the SuperSpeed variety), ethernet, a single HDMI port, optical audio, and a power connection. There is also another port on the back that may be used for debugging but there wasn’t an agreement on the nature of its functionality. The image at the top of this post shows a basic outline of how those ports appear on the actual hardware.

• Upvote 2

I know Phil is not Mattrick but I'm still really really REALLY happy and relieved to hear that there's just one HDMI port this time around.

I need to research it for a thing so I'll let you know if I turn up anything but I don't think there's a lot.

• Upvote 3

That would be great - thank you :) As far brand launch disasters go.. its right up there - so I hoped someone might have written an off the record account somewhere....

I'm a bit puzzled by something in that video. Why is it more difficult making a larger chip than a smaller one? I would have thought going smaller was the challenge?

I really like the passthrough HDMI on the Xbox One.  I use it all of the time and being able to switch from gaming to tv without the tv remote has become second nature.  I, personally, will miss it.  I'm pretty sure it's the reason that the Xbox has stayed as my main console this generation.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

I really like the passthrough HDMI on the Xbox One.  I use it all of the time and being able to switch from gaming to tv without the tv remote has become second nature.  I, personally, will miss it.  I'm pretty sure it's the reason that the Xbox has stayed as my main console this generation.

Do you use it with some kind of set-top box, like Sky or something? To me it seems as though set-top boxes were already on the way out when the XB1 first came out. Maybe they're more widespread in the US. Personally, I've never had one, so I could never utilise the pass-through. With the XB1 playing discs and streaming services natively, apart from a Sky box I can't see when else you'd use it these days.

4 minutes ago, Pob said:

Do you use it with some kind of set-top box, like Sky or something? To me it seems as though set-top boxes were already on the way out when the XB1 first came out. Maybe they're more widespread in the US. Personally, I've never had one, so I could never utilise the pass-through. With the XB1 playing discs and streaming services natively, apart from a Sky box I can't see when else you'd use it these days.

I always saw it not so much as set-top box already being on the way out when the XB1 came out, but rather more and more people not being interested in traditional television anymore. So you have Mattrick yelling "TV TV TV" to an audience which increasingly consists of cord-cutters.

• Upvote 2

does the Xbox S X processor really have 8K and a QR code inscribed on it?

18 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

No upscaling either in that set-up I'm afraid, that just pumps a videosignal as is through for television and such. Afaik. That also explains the lag, it was not made to pump a gaming signal through. 

lolz. What was the point then? just so you could look at the shitty xbone dashboard adverts before playing a 360 game? fuck that for a game of soldiers

23 minutes ago, Pob said:

much more prevalent in the US.

problem is that because it basically required a fancy AI blaster there were significant limitations to what they could do.

I thought it was excellent at first, as back then TV apps weren’t really a thing (I think so anyway, maybe I was still rocking my Panny Plasma) and I wanted as little clutter as possible.

I initially had it setup with a Sky box going into it and as they appeared I used other apps, such as Netflix, Plex, iPlayer, etc through the Xbox. It basically meant it handled all my entertainment and meant I only had one HDMI input going to the TV.

As time went on I ditched Sky and bought the coax to USB adapter, so I used the Xbox EPG alongside the other media apps and gaming. This was even better, as I only had one remote to worry about now and the Xbox media remote was great for controlling everything.

Ultimately, I upgraded the TV a couple of times over the years and now I have an LG OLED and that can handle all my media, with the Xbox now only being used for gaming and the odd Blu-ray.

I think it was a great idea at the time, if used correctly, but as others have said, it was probably a bit too late in the day as people were starting to ditch set top boxes.

Fast forward to now and I’ve got an Xbox, PS4, Switch dock and Super NT all going into my TV via an amp, so even though I’ve still only got one HDMI input going to the TV, I’m lumbered with lots of cables, controllers and remotes again!

Maybe one day I’ll get my clutter free utopia, but at the time, MS has a good crack at it. Shame it was flawed and things went in a different direction, but I don’t think it was the big fuck up a lot of people seem to paint it as. For me, at least.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

I think the fuck up was focusing on those capabilities rather than games.

Oh yeah, undoubtedly. They badly misjudged their audience at the time and should have focused on it primarily being a games console, with all that additional stuff as a load of brilliant extras that it could do. Shame really as it was a great idea, just really badly handled.

• Upvote 1

Actually, that’s made me think - I guess there won’t be a TV EPG on the Series X, will there? The Mrs still uses my One X for it sometimes, so I’ll probably have to get that rerouted directly into the TV before the new console arrives.

6 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Latest rumour is the Steam and Epic stores to be available on next Xbox.

From where?

Doubt that, no upside for Microsoft, and it's a rumor playing on the tired old "Xbox will turn into a PC under the TV" narrative that people have been insisting will happen any minute now for nearly 20 years.

• Upvote 4