rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - Power Your Dreams

On 29/05/2020 at 23:20, JPL said:

Will Demon Souls be coming to Series X?

No. It's a Sony IP.

Microsoft seem to be creating problems for themselves at the minute. Like with this crossbuy thing, where games for a 7-year-old console will either be artificially high, destroying the established value of ageing hardware, or they'll lose money if they're cheaper and SX owners buy them.

Then there's Ultimate, which is like paying 10p a pint right now. Once in a while they remove a drink you like, but you don't mind paying full price for it. But sooner or later they're going full Tim Martin. It's that or making their catalogue a lot worse. I'd be happy with a service that offered extended plays of all released games; so in campaigns that might be 50%, else 6 or 12 hours depending on gametype.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

41 minutes ago, Escaped said:

Like with this crossbuy thing, where games for a 7-year-old console will either be artificially high, destroying the established value of ageing hardware, or they'll lose money if they're cheaper and SX owners buy them.

I can’t see there being much difference with how much a new AAA game costs regardless of platform/generation though.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Escaped said:

Microsoft seem to be creating problems for themselves at the minute. Like with this crossbuy thing, where games for a 7-year-old console will either be artificially high, destroying the established value of ageing hardware, or they'll lose money if they're cheaper and SX owners buy them.

Then there's Ultimate, which is like paying 10p a pint right now. Once in a while they remove a drink you like, but you don't mind paying full price for it. But sooner or later they're going full Tim Martin. It's that or making their catalogue a lot worse. I'd be happy with a service that offered extended plays of all released games; so in campaigns that might be 50%, else 6 or 12 hours depending on gametype.

"Microsoft are offering a service that is too pro-consumer, why don't they make it worse?"

:wacko:

They are pivoting to a subscription business model, just like movies and TV. Sony will eventually be forced to catch up I imagine, depending on how the new consoles shake out.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Escaped said:

don’t know about you, but I always particularly enjoy paying the next gen game tax for games that barely take advantage of the new hardware at all.

• Upvote 1

Games will be the same price for both consoles, nothing wrong with that. It's not like Switch games are cheaper than the same game on the Xbox Ones and yet it'll play better on the latter.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Escaped said:

Are you the same guy that wrote the Sony press release that said EA Access wasn't good value for its customers a couple of years ago?  

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Escaped said:

Do you also walk into stores during sales and ask to speak to a manager about how their discounts are too big and you're genuinely concerned about how they're devaluing their products? 

• Upvote 9

It just seems to be a post written from the perspective of "I like PlayStation. How can I therefore find ways in which this things is bad?"

• Upvote 8

GamePass is a trap. When will it go full Weatherspoons ? Cross gen updating is bad because M$ could make more money selling me Cyberpunk twice. My TV is shit because I could carry it up the stairs by myself. 

It's great that the truth is finally being revealed at last. I wish he'd told me about the telly sooner.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 2

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Are you the same guy that wrote the Sony press release that said EA Access wasn't good value for its customers a couple of years ago?  

Although is notable EA don't put their games on there day one.

It's valid to wonder where MS make money, because Netflix don't.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Although is notable EA don't put their games on there day one.

EA's PC version, Origin Access, has a premier version where they do exactly that! But at £90 for the year, you may as well just buy the 2 full priced games they release lol

12 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's valid to wonder where MS make money, because Netflix don't.

Netflix must spend so much money producing their original content and buying up programmes in exclusive deals. MS sell their games at full price as well and by all accounts sell as many or more copies of their games even when they're available day 1 on GP (Forza Horizon 4 being the most obvious example).

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Pob said:

Netflix must spend so much money producing their original content and buying up programmes in exclusive deals. MS sell their games at full price as well and by all accounts sell as many or more copies of their games even when they're available day 1 on GP (Forza Horizon 4 being the most obvious example).

Also there's no further revenue streams for Netflix other than subs is there? Games on GP potentially benefit from microtransactions and DLC from a massively enlarged player base. So Microsoft gets money from subs, their first-party games somehow sell just as much at retail, plus they have have tonnes more players keeping their service games alive and buying add-ons. It makes a load of sense for stuff like Sea Of Thieves and Forza Horizon.

Not sure if Sony would see the same benefit from their very contained story-driven single player games.

• Upvote 2

You can still do the £1 thing right?

Any special process now?

We already have the Xbox One Console thread and Game Pass thread for people to ask that same question endlessly. Let's keep this one untainted.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

21 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You can still do the £1 thing right?

Any special process now?

Yup.  did it for nephew a week ago.

Load up on Xbox Live membership (max 3 years).

Then convert for £1. 

Edit:  As an added bonus if you have VPN is buy Brazillian Xbox Gold.  I think it's £22-ish for 12 months on CDKeys.  I did this last week.   3 years of GamePass for under 70 quid. Yaaaass

So.  Buy off CDKeys

Enable VPN and pretend you're in brazil.

In an incognito window, Go onto redeem.microsoft.com and register the codes CDkeys sent you.

Disable VPN.

On your console or on the website do the £1 GP Ultimate offer.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

We already have the Xbox One Console thread and Game Pass thread for people to ask that same question endlessly. Let's keep this one untainted.

untainted?   I think anywhere were people get informed about the great value this GP offers and how to do it is good.   Weird gate-keeping.

We have a thread for the board game Atmosphere in the gaming unplugged forum so can we keep the gate keeper chat in there please and keep this thread untainted

• Upvote 1

Talk of not making money... This is a long game, just look at how long it took Amazon to make a profit. 

15 hours ago, Escaped said:

The first paragraph posits that the MS strategy will make games artificially expensive for longer, while the second claims they're simultaneously making games too cheap and devaluing them. Truly spectacular.

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Do you also walk into stores during sales and ask to speak to a manager about how their discounts are too big and you're genuinely concerned about how they're devaluing their products? 

Nah, I follow tradition in putting the sale stickers on full-price games.

12 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

It just seems to be a post written from the perspective of "I like PlayStation. How can I therefore find ways in which this things is bad?"

Seems mostly wrong: I'll probably get a PS5, fair enough, but it has no games I'm interested in right now. I just want shorter loadtimes for my PS4 games. And if you're buying an SX, isn't it best if Sony carry on outperforming Microsoft, given that £1 Ultimate's their response?

Anyway, you've all taken what I said as a criticism when I'm only wondering how this too-good-to-be-true deal evolves. And by not making new games cheaper for the ageing console it's the end of late-gen adoption for budget buyers; but that's how things are going.

8 hours ago, Jackson said:

We have a thread for the board game Atmosphere in the gaming unplugged forum so can we keep the gate keeper chat in there please and keep this thread untainted

So about next gen racing games and physics on Xbox series one X then....:lol:

22 minutes ago, Escaped said:

And by not making new games cheaper for the ageing console it's the end of late-gen adoption for budget buyers; but that's how things are going.

that’s a thing? Isn’t it usually just that they stick £10 on the price for next gen games for a few years before things tend back down to £50 again? I mean “late gen” - good luck finding a copy of The Last of Us 2 for less then £50 until October, when your budget buyer will be able to pick up a sale copy for £30.

According to Japanese outlet Famitsu, Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox Series X will launch in the country during the "2020 holiday season". Halo Infinite, Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, Scarlet Nexus and Bright Memory: Infinite have all been confirmed for domestic release so far (thanks VGC).

This could mean Microsoft is aiming for a simultaneous Japanese launch with Western regions, which it previously didn't do with the Xbox One. That system was infamously released much later in Japan, arriving ten months after its original November 2013 release.

Xbox head Phil Spencer has previously stated his desire to "do a much better job with this next, upcoming launch" of the Xbox Series X in Japan, and Xbox Game Pass was recently brought to the region for the first time back in April.

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1268105219407114241

On 02/06/2020 at 21:35, footle said:

Isn’t it usually just that they stick £10 on the price for next gen games for a few years before things tend back down to £50 again?

That's what I was on about: if SX games are 60 when their One versions are 50, does one go up or the other come down...

But my voice was obviously wrong.

Boring.gif

That's what I was on about: if SX games are 60 when their One versions are 50, does one go up or the other come down...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=cyberpunk+2077&crid=J07BXHSV2D2W&sprefix=Cyber%2Caps%2C147&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=vahalla+ps4&crid=1I8SRK582LVJP&sprefix=Vahalla%2Caps%2C158&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

I mean, it’ll be interesting to see if they shove the prices of the PS5 version up (they won’t),  but at the moment it doesn’t seem like these games prices are increasing simply because of smart delivery.

They won't do the extra £10 for next-gen games thing, clearly.

I think what put people's backs up is that you phrased it like it was a bad thing for gamers, which is a bit odd.

• Upvote 2