rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - out November

Just now, rafaqat said:

Wanting it to be stackable is the definition of being interested.   :p

and what am I going to do if it’s not stackable? Not buy it? Uh, ok...

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SeanR said:

and what am I going to do if it’s not stackable? Not buy it? Uh, ok...

Being interested in something doesn't mean you're going to spit your dummy if it does something different?  What is up with you Sony boys and anyone just speculating on stuff?  We did that with the Xbox Series X for ages and we still are with the chat about a cheaper box still.  What  the hell else we gonna do?  Play some games?  

15 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Launch XBox Ones were silent. Launch Xbox One S's were silent.   Launch Xbox One X's were silent.  WTF do you think the launch Xbox Series X is going to be?  Nice concern trolling

Mine and a few others launch Xbox One X consoles sounded like jumbo jets. There were a few of the project scorpio design that had quite badly applied, dried out thermal paste. 

37 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Mine and a few others launch Xbox One X consoles sounded like jumbo jets. There were a few of the project scorpio design that had quite badly applied, dried out thermal paste. 

The consoles themselves are nearly silent, but in my experience you play a lottery with what the hell your power brick will sound like.

16 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The consoles themselves are nearly silent, but in my experience you play a lottery with what the hell your power brick will sound like.

Xbox One X doesn't have a powerbrick. 

• Upvote 7

I was talking about the original Xbox One, which I own, should have specified, sorry didn’t read the post I was responding to properly and I apologise.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

Yeah, they’re obviously faulty. The vast majority of the consoles are silent, as they’ve been designed that way. Just like the Series X.

Is this the AAAA game from super studio The Initiative ?

Edit : 2 replies down it isn't. Lol us boners are just as desperate for games news as the other lot.

21 hours ago, footle said:

the idea was savings in GPU (not so much cpu) and memory, perhaps they save a Tiny bit with a smaller SSD. Perhaps you just end up with lower binned chips with many more disabled cores, who knows, so the actual saving is the reduced wastage.

i’m not sure you’ll get away with much less in the way of cooling.

Fair enough, I'm just curious about how they'll hit that lower price point. 

I wonder will Lockhart even come out this year. The early adopters will want a Series X so maybe the plan is Series X this winter and Lockhart at some point in 2021. 

Just now, bear said:

Fair enough, I'm just curious about how they'll hit that lower price point. 

I wonder will Lockhart even come out this year. The early adopters will want a Series X so maybe the plan is Series X this winter and Lockhart at some point in 2021. 

I dunno. They need to announce it soon, and well... MS get the messaging wrong, maybe people will hold out for “the cheaper one”, or worse ignore it altogether, because it’s “not as good as the other one”, I’m sure there are other outcomes too, I just struggle to think of how you launch two distinct consoles at the same time.

Even Nintendo offered iterations of its handhelds, but they tended to ADD features, not take them away. 2DS excepted.

Mind you, I’m biased because the arcade (hdd-less) version of the Xbox 360 never made much sense to me either, until I bought one to replace a red-ring...

If they're going to reveal a cheaper console launching the same time - which is a huge "if" - I'd have to imagine it'll be a big shock twist at the end of the proper Series X announcement. They could show a bunch of exclusive games that all look amazing, followed by a release date, and a price that makes everyone nervous (let's say $499). Then they say "but wait, there's more", run a showreel of the same games looking exactly as good as they did earlier, then they reveal that those were running in 1080p HDR on the Series S, for just $349 or something. Then do some side-by-side comparisons to drive the message home, and everyone leaves convinced that Microsoft has both the most powerful console on the planet and an amazing economical console that's almost exactly as good.

Sort of the opposite of what Apple did when they spent an hour on the iPhone 8 only to then reveal the iPhone X and make everyone wonder why they bothered with the basic one.

Or more likely Series S will arrive in 2021, letting them get a broader, less dedicated audience without having to lower the Series X's price at all. Like bear said.

Here’s my conspiracy theory: Lockhart won’t be released at the same time as the Series X. It’s effectively an industrial ruse to leave Sony wrong footed and working out where and how to pitch the PS5. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jashin said:

Here’s my conspiracy theory: Lockhart won’t be released at the same time as the Series X. It’s effectively an industrial ruse to leave Sony wrong footed and working out where and how to pitch the PS5. 

Interesting but that would be a risky strategy - Sony coming out with lower specs but a significantly lower RRP wouldn't be an automatic win for anyone. 

Yeah, I agree. I’m actually fairly sure that the XBSX will actually be eye-wateringly expensive, but I’d love to be proved wrong on that. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I thought Dreams was a bona fide Sony exclusive?

Given it's a Sony second party title it feels likely.

1 hour ago, Jashin said:

It would be a very stupid move, if so. Sony aimed for a specific price point with the PS4 and went for the same one with the PS4 Pro. It might not be practical to go for the same one with the PS5, but I'd bet that they'll be as close to it as possible. I don't see them messing around with things because of what they think Microsoft is doing.

Maybe. Although the game of chicken that both companies are playing makes me doubt that a little. 

2 hours ago, Jashin said:

Yeah, I agree. I’m actually fairly sure that the XBSX will actually be eye-wateringly expensive, but I’d love to be proved wrong on that. 

I guess it depends where eye watering is for you, I'd expect it to be about the same as the original Xbox one release - adjusted for Brexit and inflation, I'd expect that to be £500-550.

I personally will be surprised if they go over £500.

Worth considering that Gamepass effectively means everyone gets Halo, etc. included with the system. Day one sales of XSX could in theory be dominated by people buying the console only - no extra games. It could be a cheaper launch day than some here had for PS4/X1.

It'll be interesting to see how third parties play it. 

11 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

They'd have to pay me £500 if Halo is included, what an awful game. :lol:

Tell me more about it... Is it open world? Have they ditched the Prometheans? How’s the multiplayer?

• Upvote 7

15 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

@Wahwah* Five hundred quid for a console? No way would they release it at that price, at least not without a cheaper alternative. Would they??

It's interesting to see where the "that's too much" lies, I feel like the talk about the power and the special features of the motherboard design and whatever else is priming people for the idea that it'll be expensive. 

Xbox one was £429, add 20% for UK currency value loss and we end up at just over £500, without even acknowledging the passage of time.   

If they go for under £500, they've effectively got this incredible high power console, and look out they haven't compromised on power, did we say how powerful it was? ...for less than the Xbox one launched at. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gooner4life said:

They'd have to pay me £500 if Halo is included, what an awful game. :lol:

If you can't spend hundreds of pounds on packs of make believe players on it then deny it or play spiderman on it then goober isn't interested. 

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

8 hours ago, Dudley said:

Given it's a Sony second party title it feels likely.

first party. Media molecule were bought by Sony a decade ago

2 hours ago, footle said:

first party. Media molecule were bought by Sony a decade ago

Depends on your definition, that's what I call 2nd party.  Owned by Sony but not Sony themselves.

Point is, not going to be writing an Xbox game anytime soon, rare exceptions like Outer Worlds notwithstanding.

Gerbik was just joking that the images looked like something from Dreams right? People aren't seriously discussing the possibility of Dreams coming to Xbox based on him goofing around are they? 

11 hours ago, bear said:

Gerbik was just joking that the images looked like something from Dreams right? People aren't seriously discussing the possibility of Dreams coming to Xbox based on him goofing around are they? 

Naaaaah, we’re waiting for project spark 2.0