rllmuk
djbhammer

Xbox Series X - out November

6 minutes ago, SeanR said:

with drive, without drive. Other than that, identical.

Yeah, real confusing.

Exactly. Not confusing at all. The dearer one is better. 

It really isn't hard.

I think that if the average person can walk in to an Apple showroom and figure out what they want to buy from the iPhone Pro, the larger iPhone Pro, the iPhone SE which isn’t the iPhone SE you bought three years ago, the just-iPhone, the just-iPhone with the lower number, and the iPhone XR, all of them at multiple capacities and colours, people will be able to survive there being exactly two new Xboxes.

For goodness sake, it’s not the Riemann Zeta Hypothesis.

• Upvote 3

Just now, cultofweaver said:

Exactly. Not confusing at all. The dearer one is better. 

It really isn't hard.

Not having a drive isn’t the same* as:

no raytracing

no 4K native

no “whatever else they drop to achieve a price point“ 

but like I said, can’t criticise what we don’t know. Roll on the series s announcement.

I rather have an “oh yeah, that makes sense” moment though, if it’s all the same?

* ok, a lack of drive hampers Disc-based backwards compatibility, as an example. And it forces you to use the PS store eco system, paying the prices they set, but APART from that... the same.

“Well, this iPhone has a dual domain display and improved machine learning depth estimation, while this one has the last generation GPU but twice the storage and is available in brown, but for the same money you could get the worst version of the highest end Pro model.”

”I understand this.”

”This Xbox is big and plays the games in 4K and is more expensive but is otherwise exactly the same thing. This one is small and plays the games in 1080p and is cheaper but is otherwise exactly the same thing.”

”Oh no I have given myself an aneurism.”

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Can someone switch Sean off and back on again, please?

• Upvote 3

Sean's just going through one of his phases where he's bored at work and so pretends (?) to be so desperately obtuse he'd struggle to open a door.

I do think there's one reasonable argument that MS have made it slightly difficult for themselves, in that the naming conventions don't make it obvious what order the One S, One X and Series X are in. Although we don't yet know what the mooted 1080p/Lockhart box is called, if it's called Series S (as seems likely) then it's a little more obscure again. It's easily explainable, but it's not like iPhone 10, iPhone 10 XL, iPhone 11 which I think you instantly understand.

But the general idea that customers - who already manage to pick laptops, phones, TVs etc from a bewildering array of serial numbers and price points - can't differentiate between "the cheaper one" and "the more expensive one" seems ludicrous. It's not like any of the conversation is about dropping any features beyond some power and maybe the disc drive.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

”This Xbox is big and plays the games in 4K and is more expensive but is otherwise exactly the same thing. This one is small and plays the games in 1080p and is cheaper but is otherwise exactly the same thing.”

“exactly” doing a lot of heavy lifting, if the rumours are to be believed.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

Sean's just going through one of his phases where he's bored at work and so pretends (?) to be so desperately obtuse he'd struggle to open a door.

actually I’m furloughed... :coffee:

• Empathy 1

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I do think there's one reasonable argument that MS have made it slightly difficult for themselves, in that the naming conventions don't make it obvious what order the One S, One X and Series X are in. Although we don't yet know what the mooted 1080p/Lockhart box is called, if it's called Series S (as seems likely) then it's a little more obscure again. It's easily explainable, but it's not like iPhone 10, iPhone 10 XL, iPhone 11 which I think you instantly understand.

They should have just called it Xbox. But the lawyers and Brand Managers would have thrown a fit about trademarks and word marks and I understand why they needed something else in the name. X for the big one, S for the small one works ok.

7 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

“Well, this iPhone has a dual domain display and improved machine learning depth estimation, while this one has the last generation GPU but twice the storage and is available in brown, but for the same money you could get the worst version of the highest end Pro model.”

”I understand this.”

what's a dual domain display? And what’s depth estimation for?

1 minute ago, cultofweaver said:

They should have just called it Xbox. But the lawyers and Brand Managers would have thrown a fit about trademarks and word marks and I understand why they needed something else in the name. X for the big one, S for the small one works ok.

It's not the X/S branding where I think any confusion (as yet unproven) slips in, it's the generation label. Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One -> Xbox Series is a confusing sequence, and I think an unsteady foundation on which to build a name off. Not that I think it'll present anyone with a real issue. This is the new one, this is the old one. Each comes in a cheap and expensive variant.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SeanR said:

“exactly” doing a lot of heavy lifting, if the rumours are to be believed.

The rumours that it does exactly the same things as the Xbox Series X?

• Upvote 1

Remember the dark times when you could just hit the neg button and move on. :( 

• Upvote 9

3 minutes ago, SeanR said:

what's a dual domain display? And what’s depth estimation for?

Exactly. Nobody has any trouble buying an iPhone despite them being an order of magnitude more complex in features.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's not the X/S branding where I think any confusion (as yet unproven) slips in, it's the generation label. Xbox -> Xbox 360 -> Xbox One -> Xbox Series is a confusing sequence, and I think an unsteady foundation on which to build a name off. Not that I think it'll present anyone with a real issue. This is the new one, this is the old one. Each comes in a cheap and expensive variant.

just not usually at the same time, see mid-gen updates, and not excessively nerfed. eg. You could add an HDD to an arcade 360.

say, isn’t the series S supposed to launch later too?

3 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

If they could release the Xbox One after the Xbox which was after the Xbox 1, I think they sufficiently broke the rules of time and space to get away with it. I’m just amazed they didn’t move to Greek letters, Windings or the Prince logo.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Exactly. Nobody has any trouble buying an iPhone despite them being an order of magnitude more complex in features.

Will I miss them if I don’t have them?

No? I’ll save my money then.
Yes? I better pay that premium. 

Edited by SeanR

The only thing that I need to know is if getting a Series S would be a significant graphical downgrade other than lower resolution. If that’s all that would happen then I’d be perfectly happy buying one and not worry too much (my TV is only 1080p and I’m happy enough with that).

But if by having an X it would also beef up visual quality and fps on a 1080p screen then I’d pick one of those up because I’m a terribly vain man who needs the best.

Like a nice glass of Blue Nun.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

The only thing that I need to know is if getting a Series S would be a significant graphical downgrade other than lower resolution. If that’s all that would happen then I’d be perfectly happy buying one and not worry too much (my TV is only 1080p and I’m happy enough with that).

But if by having an X it would also beef up visual quality and fps on a 1080p screen then I’d pick one of those up because I’m a terribly vain man who needs the best.

Like a nice glass of Blue Nun.

supersampling is your friend. It’ll take the 4K internal render and give you the best 1080p frame, and it’ll be a steadier 13ms per frame too, just because it can.

an amalgamation of PS4 pro boost mode on an unoptimised game, and the difference between an og XboxOne at 900p and PS4 1080p, if you want to use more familiar examples.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Will I miss them if I don’t them? No? I’ll save my money then. Yes? I better pay that premium. 

I've read this five times and still don't know what it means.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, hereticboy said:

I've read this five times and still don't know what it means.

the word “have” is missing. 

hang on.

[edit] 

ive added the missing word, and tried to make the choices clearer. Proper word salad, eh?

Edited by SeanR

Let’s be honest.

The naming thing is mainly an issue for our ageing dad-brains trying to remember which one is which as we argue about them on the internet over and over, rather than a consumer who will think about it once, type it in Amazon and be done.

Genuine question if someone can enlighten me as I've seen some conflicting info on two web pages and another thread. Is the current One S a 1080p native box that upscales to 4K? Does it do HDR? Presumably that would be at least the same on a new Series S but with some additional Series X gubbinz thrown in too?

EDIT: Found a decent, clear explanation of the One S spec and what it actually does/doesn't do. As you were.

If that's the case the more I chin scratch this, the more a Series S digital only sounds like a good idea for me if the price is right. Big cross platform games I can play on the PS5 anyway for max shinies, so this would be about making Xbox exclusive (or Game Pass) games look and run a lot better than my ageing launch One on my 4K TV. It also means if I then go for a Series X further down the line, the Series S could be moved either up to my office or lounge onto the 1080 devices we have in there (so I can have the option to play while other family members are using the big screen).

42 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

”I understand this.”

”Oh no I have given myself an aneurism.”

"Give me a PS5."

"Which one ?"

"Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Xbox-Series-X-Meme-Internet.jpg

• Upvote 6

Should probably wait to see how Microsoft actually position it. Maybe they'll wrap up One production quickly and point folks to a series S instead. It also gives people a cheaper buy in, given Spencer (I think) talked about payment schemes for the Series X recently. It probably also makes a good smaller TV purchase. I've got my old 42" 1080p in the bedroom, something which targets 4k (native or otherwise) is a waste. Useful for people without 55k UHDs in their bedroom. 

In the future, I assume we'll see a Series #, with more oomph, instead of a Pro/X moniker. 

This is all rather simple, but again conjecture until Microsoft get to announce the thing we're all confidently talking about. 

2 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Any idea when in July the next presentation will be?

tuesday

I do think MS will phase out the sale of the X and S model Xbox One fairly quickly in favour of the Series S and X. I think the S could have huge potential. A smaller form factor, quieter  machine, with all the same bells and whistles just at 1080p/1440p would be great. I thrust MS to do a good job on the Series X build quality but if I thought it was going to be another PS4 Pro scenario I'd gladly forego 4K in favour of a quieter more compact machine. 

• Upvote 1