rllmuk
TehStu

Xbox Product Name Placeholder (Project Scarlett)

16 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

4 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Doubt that, no upside for Microsoft, and it's a rumor playing on the tired old "Xbox will turn into a PC under the TV" narrative that people have been insisting will happen any minute now for nearly 20 years.

At most, I can see Microsoft adding a streaming mode to stream your PC to the Xbox (like you can do with Xbox to PC now), but I doubt they will have native compatibility.

If they do that, then Project X really does just become a subsidised PC.... What's to stop people sacking off buying Xbox games and so MS's licensing fee and just buying all their games via PC mode or exploiting Windows' security vulnerabilities and just pirating stuff?

What is this functionality exactly? As the rumor suggests, the new generation of Xbox consoles will include a boot mode called “Windows Mode” that will let you switch your operating system to Windows 10 and practically letting you use your console as a PC. Not all applications will be available, of course. However, gamers will be intrigued to find out that the rumor wants Steam and the Epic Store being available. That means that games that were never available on Xbox One, like Detroit: Become Human and Journey, which were only available on the Epic Store will become playable on Microsoft’s consoles.

As a consumer, it seems like a great idea and a powerful gaming PC for $499 sells itself, but it would explode the current business model. Maybe that's the plan of course, it seems clear that MS are more interested in selling people a Game Pass sub than they are individual releases, so they reckon the value of that will keep people committed to playing on their Xbox rather than switching to a cheaper PC alternative.

I don't know, if it happens then I can only imagine that there will be a ton of caveats to it.

1 minute ago, Mr Tony said:

At most, I can see Microsoft adding a streaming mode to stream your PC to the Xbox (like you can do with Xbox to PC now), but I doubt they will have native compatibility.

I could see this happening, too, albeit to various devices. Feels like it would be a good use of all their xCloud research, at no ongoing cost to Microsoft.

Haven't seen any talk about anything like that in the documentation I've seen so far, sounds like wishful thinking.

Pretty sure these "Xbox will run Steam!" rumours came around with the Bone too. :p

It wouldn’t be a powerful gaming pc though, it would be mid level gaming pc with a very strong cpu for a console becoming a weak cpu for a gaming pc. It won’t happen.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

It wouldn’t be a powerful gaming pc though, it would be mid level gaming pc with a very strong cpu for a console becoming a weak cpu for a gaming pc. It won’t happen.

Mate most PCs have 1GB of VRAM. Less than 1% of PC's support 4k, while 25% of consoles do, which'll be 100% next gen.

Average PC's are far closer in hardware to something like the Switch than even current-gen consoles. It's the poverty platform at this point, doesn't require much to upgrade if you've got a cheap work PC already, cheap games, loads of F2P stuff, etc.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

17 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Mate most PCs have 1GB of VRAM. Less than 1% of PC's support 4k, while 25% of consoles do, which'll be 100% next gen.

Average PC's are far closer in hardware to something like the Switch than even current-gen consoles. It's the poverty platform at this point, doesn't require much to upgrade if you've got a cheap work PC already, cheap games, loads of F2P stuff, etc.

‘Gaming PC’ 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

wut

About half the machines in the Steam HW survey have a more powerful GPU than the PS4 Pro and pretty much all of them will have a much faster CPU. So in terms of gaming PCs you are hilariously off the mark. 

• Upvote 2

It will never happen, but it would be hilarious if through this unlikely loophole you could suddenly play games like Nioh, SF5, and Death Stränding on Xbox series X.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It will never happen, but it would be hilarious if through this unlikely loophole you could suddenly play games like Nioh, SF5, and Death Stränding on Xbox series X.

I’m looking forward to the rumours they’re buying Nintendo as well, then my dream of a single console future will be fulfilled!

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I’m looking forward to the rumours they’re buying Nintendo as well, then my dream of a single console future will be fulfilled!

Those rumours have been floating around in some form for about 20 years, so it could happen any time now! My uncle is sure of it. And after that, EA.

Can we talk about the fact Microsoft are literally going to ruin Next Gen by having a rumoured weaker entry level console that's actually weaker in raw teraflops than the One X and now supporting their piss poor current gen consoles (The One and One S) so games will need to be baselined for these duffers.

• Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

1 minute ago, gooner4life said:

Can we talk about the fact Microsoft are literally going to ruin Next Gen by having a rumoured weaker entry level console that's actually weaker in raw teraflops than the One X and now supporting their piss poor current gen consoles (The One and One S) so games will need to be baselined for these duffers.

It's for the first year. If you don't think third parties will be supporting the PS4 and XBone for the foreseeable future, then I don't know what to tell you. All the big franchises will be coming out for both generations for a while. 

2 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Apparently MS will not be launching any series x exclusive titles in at least the first year ( presumably  doesn’t apply to third party)

https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/

On one hand it's good news that they're committing to supporting older platforms for a while but I'm actually now reconsidering whether I get the Series X or PS5 at launch. I was all set on Series X, mainly due to GamePass, but if Series X isn't getting any first party exclusives for a year or two, it almost seems better to stick with my One X for a couple of years, still enjoy those same first party games (albeit not quite as shiny) and buy PS5 since I feel very confident that Sony will be going the traditional route of having most first party games exclusive.

If I'm spending 400-500 pounds on something at launch I'm not sure I want just a prettier, shinier version of games I can already play on a console I already own. I want something built from the ground-up to show it off that I can't get somewhere else. Third parties have always gone hard on cross-gen at the beginning of each gen but it's usually been the first parties who go all in on producing the exclusives to really sell the new gen so this does represent a departure from the norm.

Of course Sony may yet come out and say all PS5 first party titles in the first two years may support PS4 Pro but as things stand I feel like my One X and a GamePass sub will see me through the next couple of years on the MS side which I'm not was their intention.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

It's for the first year. If you don't think third parties will be supporting the PS4 and XBone for the foreseeable future, then I don't know what to tell you. All the big franchises will be coming out for both generations for a while. 

True for third parties but not first parties, historically (Nintendo being slight outliers with the likes of BOTW). If, at launch, Sony are offering exclusive, built from the ground up first party exclusives you can't play anywhere other than PS5 while MS first party games can still be enjoyed on the One X, I see little reason not to choose the PS5 at launch and leave Series X until it actually does get exclusive first party support.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Majora said:

True for third parties but not first parties, historically (Nintendo being slight outliers with the likes of BOTW). If, at launch, Sony are offering exclusive, built from the ground up first party exclusives you can't play anywhere other than PS5 while MS first party games can still be enjoyed on the One X, I see little reason not to choose the PS5 at launch and leave Series X until it actually does get exclusive first party support.

True, but it may be something similar to the different versions of Forza Horizon 2 or Rise of the Tomb Raider. 

It makes sense from Microsoft's perspective. They want those Gamepass subscriptions so they'll want to keep those who haven't upgraded yet. 

Are there any examples of PC games where having an SSD or much faster CPU significantly alters the gameplay experience?

I doubt MS are going to build separate versions of games like they did with FH2 (developed by Sumo). So demonstrating meaningful differences between current and next gen (beyond graphics) is going to need to rely on scaling gameplay enhancements across the different hardware specs.

So excluding initial loading times, crowd density and maybe AI (although we've been saying that for how long?) what would those differences be?

Lighting and shadows will be better on the new tech.

Denser foliage, improved AA.

I really hope that mirrors in next-gen games actually work. The number of games this gen where you've stood in front of a mirror with no reflection.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Majora said:

On one hand it's good news that they're committing to supporting older platforms for a while but I'm actually now reconsidering whether I get the Series X or PS5 at launch. I was all set on Series X, mainly due to GamePass, but if Series X isn't getting any first party exclusives for a year or two, it almost seems better to stick with my One X for a couple of years, still enjoy those same first party games (albeit not quite as shiny) and buy PS5 since I feel very confident that Sony will be going the traditional route of having most first party games exclusive.

If I'm spending 400-500 pounds on something at launch I'm not sure I want just a prettier, shinier version of games I can already play on a console I already own. I want something built from the ground-up to show it off that I can't get somewhere else. Third parties have always gone hard on cross-gen at the beginning of each gen but it's usually been the first parties who go all in on producing the exclusives to really sell the new gen so this does represent a departure from the norm.

Of course Sony may yet come out and say all PS5 first party titles in the first two years may support PS4 Pro but as things stand I feel like my One X and a GamePass sub will see me through the next couple of years on the MS side which I'm not was their intention.

I see where you’re coming from but nearly all the early first-party new-gen exclusives were pretty duff last time round weren’t they? Killzone, Ryse etc. 

The first current-gen exclusive I bought was Arkham Knight which came out 18 months after the PS4 debuted. Everything else that tickled my fancy had versions on the previous generation machines, even if they were rough (Watch_Dogs). My two favourite games of this generation are MGSV and BOTW, both of which easily straddled two generations. 

I am really, really excited to see what can only be done on the new consoles with their fancy CPUs and SSDs but if it’s anything like this gen (and the one before, really), the transition will be quite gradual. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mdn2 said:

But the cheaper base level next gen Xbox won’t be just for a year. 

It’s got lower clock speed on the Series X cpu and a weaker gpu than Xbox One X, it will lower the baseline for all Xbox First Party games and Third parties also.

I hope it’s resigned to rumour and doesn’t come to fruition or it will hinder next gen quite badly.

13 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

But the cheaper base level next gen Xbox won’t be just for a year. 

It’s got lower clock speed on the Series X cpu and a weaker gpu than Xbox One X, it will lower the baseline for all Xbox First Party games and Third parties also.

I hope it’s resigned to rumour and doesn’t come to fruition or it will hinder next gen quite badly.

loving the concern trolling from the Sony fanboy.   :)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, PeteBrant said:

Apparently MS will not be launching any series x exclusive titles in at least the first year ( presumably  doesn’t apply to third party)

https://www.mcvuk.com/we-need-to-deliver-on-the-promises-that-we-make-xbox-game-studios-matt-booty-on-the-future-of-xbox/

So I’ll be able to play Halo Infinite on my Xbox One S then?!

Excellent! £500 saved and I bet it will be dead good and cutting edge then having to run on a machine that was underpowered even 7 years ago. 

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

So I’ll be able to play Halo Infinite on my Xbox One S then?!

Excellent! £500 saved and I bet it will be dead good and cutting edge then having to run on a machine that was underpowered even 7 years ago. 

It'll be just like with FH2. Enjoy your cutdown version.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Lighting and shadows will be better on the new tech.

Denser foliage, improved AA.

I really hope that mirrors in next-gen games actually work. The number of games this gen where you've stood in front of a mirror with no reflection.

Which are all ‘just’ about graphics and density of the environment. Can we expect tangible gameplay enhancing improvements from the new tech if the games also have to run on old hardware simply by scaling rather than being purposely cutdown?

Loading times is the QoL difference for me.

But not £600 worth of difference.

I’m glad I can now leave the XSX for a couple of years and get vfm from my relatively new 1X and Gamepass, and go PS5 for exclusives and multiplats.

1 hour ago, rafaqat said:

loving the concern trolling from the Sony fanboy.   :)

Sony fanboy who had 7 Xbox 360’s 4 Xbox One’s, an Xbox One X, an Xbox Live Gold sub since the beta and 3 years of gamepass paid up.

Day One Edition and Project Scorpio editions I might add on the current gens. 

I’m a technology fan and enjoy video games. Sony make more games I like, but Gears of War is one of my all time favourite series. I’ve never liked Halo and Forza got stale.

ive also got about 500 games in my Xbox one game library without game pass. So try again.

• Empathy 1

Microsoft are definitely going to produce 2 consoles with wildly differing CPU performance and hobble games by making sure that the same code runs not only on this fabled slower machine but on the existing consoles as well.

I also have some magic beans for sale.

If they do release a cheaper machine it'll be similar to the situation we have now with the original and then mid gen bump consoles, the performance difference being on the GPU side of things and the game logic running on very similar CPU cores.

• Upvote 3