rllmuk
Omizzay

Trials Rising

3 hours ago, Omizzay said:

If anyone has a good decent medium one that they've come across then do let me know.  Maybe we can start the tourney next week?

Definitely in for the tournament. Still haven't unlocked any hard tracks though.... sodding grind + DMC5 taking all my time.

Is the tournament happening? I’ve finished all the extremes now, getting gold on them all is probably beyond me so I’ll not get to play the ninjas.

Tournaments will keep me coming back till the DLC comes out.

2 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

Update is out - can confirm the 4th stage stadium GP races are way easier, I knocked off four last night on the first try. 

Thanks, I will give the final one a go again. I gave up because it was tedious. After the update, I got a "you've unlocked RACE" and thought I was on for new tracks but apparently not. I've done all of the tracks in the RACE series, so not sure what happened there.

I am still enjoying this, but the glacial pace at which it gives you new stuff is soul-destroying. I probably wouldn’t describe it as grinding, as that implies just doing the same thing over and over again, whereas with this at least you’re doing challenges and using alternate vehicles that mix it up a bit. But it’s still dull. You level up painfully slowly – at the moment, it takes two or three contracts to go up a level, and I’m on level 65. I think the extreme tracks unlock at level 100 or so, which seems galactically distant at this point. I unlocked the hard levels recently, and that was brilliant, but I’d gone through them almost immediately, leaving me to run the various challenges endlessly until it deigns to give me the next tier of tracks.

The most annoying thing is that the game structure seems to strongly incentivise you to completing challenges rather than improving your times – you get hugely more XP for finishing a contract than you go for, say, going from a silver to a gold medal. As such, there’s no competition between players – nobody’s bothering to finesse their times, because the game rewards you for spending all your time completing contracts.

The contracts themselves are pretty good fun, but it feels like they should have been an extra layer or modifier on a track, rather than the backbone of the game, so that you unlock tracks sequentially like in previous games, and then can go back to do the contracts to unlock cosmetics or new bike parts or whatever.

• Upvote 2

Same thing occured to me. I am quite enjoying the contracts, but at the expense of trying to better my times. The map style track selector is not really conducive to that, especially compared to Trials Fusion. That front end was pretty slick, looking back.

That said, some of the track design in this is so good. My sweet spot is medium to the simpler hard tracks and i've had an absolute blast with them, trying to put together a half decent error free run. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Don Rosco said:

Same thing occured to me. I am quite enjoying the contracts, but at the expense of trying to better my times. The map style track selector is not really conducive to that, especially compared to Trials Fusion. That front end was pretty slick, looking back.

That said, some of the track design in this is so good. My sweet spot is medium to the simpler hard tracks and i've had an absolute blast with them, trying to put together a half decent error free run. 

For whatever reason, I find the medium/easy tracks harder to get good medals on than the hard/extreme tracks. I just can't seem to get the lines right to get the required times.

First things first - the dlc has dropped today. That’s a nice surprise.

Secondly, I have to complete the 9 (I think it’s 9) stadium finales to get to the grand finale but only 4 of them are unlocked. I’m at level 70, do I need to level up to open them? There’s nothing I can see that says what the requirement is to open them.

Playing on switch.

Stopped playing this like a month ago, just because of the levelling up system.  Such a shame because I absolutely love the tracks in this.  I think I got to level 75 or so but then just got fed up of all the backflips, inverted air and shit contracts I was forced to do to progress.

The DLC will definitely get me back in it though.  I just wish they would do a classic UI instead of the world map thing.  I just want to know who from my friends list I have to beat on whatever track I want to pick, like back in the day.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

First things first - the dlc has dropped today. That’s a nice surprise.

Secondly, I have to complete the 9 (I think it’s 9) stadium finales to get to the grand finale but only 4 of them are unlocked. I’m at level 70, do I need to level up to open them? There’s nothing I can see that says what the requirement is to open them.

Playing on switch.

All I can say for sure is that they’re all unlocked for me and I’m level 103 I think. It’s worth pursuing, the final stadium track (and there is only 1, not three like the others) is very good, it’s hard but doable. I doubt I’ll ever zero fault it, but I at least made it to the end. 

• Upvote 1

Well I love Trials games, and to echo what a lot of people have said it’s a return to form. I plumped for it on Switch and I would say it’s pretty good version. I played the PS4 closed and open beta and in my mind the step down in graphics is worth it for being able to play in handheld.

The graphics have never been the main attraction in Trials games. The good news is that the Switch version’s graphics are good enough to give you the hold your breath moments when you drop in off a big jump etc. Loading times are ok and in the main game the frame rate doesn’t cause any issues.

“Zany” sense of humour is still there which I actually find quite endearing, soundtrack is the usual weird mixture, I can put up with it all except that fucking “One in a million” one, that really gets me angry when it comes on and I’m struggling to beat a track.

Tonight I downloaded and played the Route 66 dlc. Some amazing track designs but fucking hell its a jerky slowdown mess, there’s slowdown on a lot of the tracks, worst is in the super cross event - I could barely tell what was going on when all 8 bikes were on screen. It’s a real shame as it really lets it down. Is Xbox and PS4 the same or just on Switch?

10 hours ago, Junker said:

Tonight I downloaded and played the Route 66 dlc. Some amazing track designs but fucking hell its a jerky slowdown mess, there’s slowdown on a lot of the tracks, worst is in the super cross event - I could barely tell what was going on when all 8 bikes were on screen. It’s a real shame as it really lets it down. Is Xbox and PS4 the same or just on Switch?

It's a bit jerky in places on the PS4 (Pro), but nothing that will ruin your flow.

The R66 DLC has some really nice tracks, actually.  The grand canyon one is visually amazing, too.

On a standard xbox, some of the later tracks are almost unplayable at times. A restart of the game usually improves things a little. The last stadium event is particularly bad.

Black Gold :mad:

That is one rather tough track to get a platinum on...

https://xboxclips.com/meatball46/390bf69f-f2a2-412a-ade9-67018bce001b

Still been playing this pretty regular here. It's bugged for me and stopped giving me crates for levelling up a while back, but otherwise is actually playing fine and good with no slowdown etc on my X.

Now I've just unlocked the Ninja tracks, but no way I'm trying them tonight!

Think I should go through and try to find some squirrels next maybe.

5 hours ago, Meatball said:

Black Gold :mad:

That is one rather tough track to get a platinum on...

https://xboxclips.com/meatball46/390bf69f-f2a2-412a-ade9-67018bce001b

Still been playing this pretty regular here. It's bugged for me and stopped giving me crates for levelling up a while back, but otherwise is actually playing fine and good with no slowdown etc on my X.

Now I've just unlocked the Ninja tracks, but no way I'm trying them tonight!

Think I should go through and try to find some squirrels next maybe.

I've been doing the squirrels with my daughter. One will read a guide and the other will drive. We swap I've each level, unless it is too hard for her to get. It's been a surprising amount of fun actually and has kept my interest in the game in general which means I have also been giving the last skill game a go, the rear wheel one. Wheelying is something that I've never got in real life or this game so even getting a silver has been a lot of hard work.

• Upvote 1

I kind of stopped playing this game on the PS4 once I unlocked all the hard levels, as the level progression and backflip missions and overall UI just became too annoying.

BUT...I ended up buying it again on the Switch in the latest sale as it was 40% off.  Annoying but, portable Trials is still better than no Trials!!! :D

I thought it would take me a lot longer to get used to using the right stick for gas and brake, but I really don't mind it.  The graphics and framerate seem pretty decent and the load times actually quite a bit faster. 

Recommended, especially if you would like some Trials on the go.

Crash & Sunburn DLC expansion now out...

I'd been feeling like wanting to have a bit of Trials action again after some time off, so some fresh new tracks and stuff is welcome.

BlazeJP, one of the major Trials Twitch streamers, has just loaded his game and his progress is fucked. All tracks locked, he's lost like 80 levels, all gold and acorns, and the cloud sync saves have wiped his local saves.

Guy's put about 800 hours into the game.

This was probably my biggest regret of the year in terms of gaming purchases. (Was it this year?), just lost so much with the new progression system. 

Just now, bradigor said:

This was probably my biggest regret of the year in terms of gaming purchases. (Was it this year?), just lost so much with the new progression system. 

Do you mean the difficulty to progress through the levels? It's much better now. I made level 50 within a day on PC and level 100 within 3 days. Pretty much a level a race. I was only completing the challenges and immediately quitting out each race/event.

1 minute ago, BeeJay said:

Do you mean the difficulty to progress through the levels? It's much better now. I made level 50 within a day on PC and level 100 within 3 days. Pretty much a level a race. I was only completing the challenges and immediately quitting out each race/event.

Nah, was happy with the difficulty and the actual in game stuff, just the world map was completely off-putting. 

Just now, bradigor said:

Nah, was happy with the difficulty and the actual in game stuff, just the world map was completely off-putting. 

Yes, the in-game map is still absolutely dire and finding the track you want to do is still stupidly hard.