Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

Cosmic_Guru

17 hours ago, df0 said:

I had the exact same. It wasn't until very late where I discovered it was DLC. I could not tell you where the AWE DLC starts.

That mechanic was a nice idea but it felt underdeveloped and overused. Worse than the mechanic is the DLC  final boss, jaysus that was a struggle and not in the good way.

Yeah, it probably would be a nice mechanic if it wasn’t entirely lifted from the much older game that the DLC is aligning itself with. In the excellent older game it was handled magically and created a wonderful combat system that while fairly shallow was great fun. In Control though it literally throws a curtain over the deep, satisfying gameplay that Jesse gives you but then never uses the mechanic anywhere near as well as it was originally. Just massively wasted and disappointing as everyone seems to have said :)

That aside, what a fucking game Control is when you crack those early stages. The way it gives you all the powers at your disposal and trusts you to manage them together where other games would have some kind of power switching mechanic is so underrated. 

The most irritating thing about the Hartman fight was that, when I did beat him, I realised that I’d been right on the edge of beating him on almost all the previous attempts. Absolutely cretinous boss. 

On 19/02/2021 at 21:19, Yiggy said:

So is it pretty much confirmed that this is crashing on most people’s series x machines for now? If so I will hold off playing. 

I've been playing this in short bursts of 30 minutes a day or so for the past week and had 0 crashes, but quick resume doesn't usually work.

Just now, RaoulSilva said:

I've been playing this in short bursts of 30 minutes a day or so for the past week and had 0 crashes, but quick resume doesn't usually work.

Cool. I think it’s been patched a bit now. 

After giving up with this after a hour I have sunk a few more notes into this. Can see why people like it now but it’s still a pain to play at times, mainly I just find myself being lost. The map system is awful.

right now I’m doing old boys club mission ‘find Marshall’ and am in this big area where the yellow objective marker is. I’ve killed everyone and spent a hour looking in every nook and cranny but can’t find anything. I found the checkpoint thing up high but there is nowhere else go, should I be fast traveling elsewhere? 

9 hours ago, Capwn said:

After giving up with this after a hour I have sunk a few more notes into this. Can see why people like it now but it’s still a pain to play at times, mainly I just find myself being lost. The map system is awful.

right now I’m doing old boys club mission ‘find Marshall’ and am in this big area where the yellow objective marker is. I’ve killed everyone and spent a hour looking in every nook and cranny but can’t find anything. I found the checkpoint thing up high but there is nowhere else go, should I be fast traveling elsewhere? 

I've no idea where you are or what you've done so far in that mission.

9 hours ago, Capwn said:

Just do not use the map at all. I finished the game without using the map. 

Fast-travel back to Central, then get in the lift to whatever floor/area the mission asks of you. 

When you're there, just follow the signs!

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Fast-travel back to Central, then get in the lift to whatever floor/area the mission asks of you. 

When you're there, just follow the signs!

There are no signs in this area. It's gone all aliens with exploding eggs.

Is that the mission where the obvious way forward is locked (something like the security sector?) and you have to go around to the left through Medical, which is full of fungus blokes, to get around to where you need to be. In which case I think you're in the right area, just keep exploring for the way forward.

But yes, the map is utterly shocking. Worse than useless, it actively hinders your exploration and enjoyment.

It’s not hyperbole to say they really should have not bothered. If they’d stuck to the “no map” thing then you would’ve felt like you were meant to be carefully learning the layout. A bad map encourages you to use it and get frustrated.

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

Is that the mission where the obvious way forward is locked (something like the security sector?) and you have to go around to the left through Medical, which is full of fungus blokes, to get around to where you need to be. In which case I think you're in the right area, just keep exploring for the way forward.

Yeah I'm in the fungus area and fully cleaned it out. Reached the top (where the game guides you towards) and found one of those fast travel things. There is just nothing to do, need to find some guy and am in the correct area but there is no indication of where to go. I'm in the same room as the yellow objective, it's huge but I feel like I've explored everything. To the point I'm wondering if I have to backtrack and I don't have the ability I need to progress? Like there is one of those holes at the bottom with energy that kills you. I wonder if you have to pass that to proceed.

On 21/02/2021 at 14:56, Oz said:

hey was Joe Biden always the president on this? Or am I starting to loose it? You all see Biden in the photo right? 

screenshot_00000.png

"Old white bloke" is a fairly safe bet for a president picture to be fair.

15 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Stay out of the Investigations Sector.

I liked it, but it's so definitively endgame content that it even has its own special ending hook. No idea why they didn't delay it until the postgame.

The worst part about that is, having had to look up something about it without knowing it was the DLC, it told me "Kill Hartman" was the last mission.

So I avoided it and accidentally finished the main game.

There's a section where you meet this science lady who's investigating the Fungus. I didn't bother with it during my playthrough, but am itching for a bit more Control. Is it worth doing?

I'm thinking about just restarting it on PS5, having played through the original Xbox One version. Kind of holding out hope for an RT60 mode, though.

I've also been looking for some video game art and found this great poster online:

EA1npLkh.png

I've messaged the artist like 3 times asking if I can buy a print, but no reply. :(

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

There's a section where you meet this science lady who's investigating the Fungus. I didn't bother with it during my playthrough, but am itching for a bit more Control. Is it worth doing?

Totally. It’s got some of the most challenging enemies (and boss) in the game. Plus I enjoyed all the stuff about the mould. It’s more Control, like you say. 

I found the fungus section pretty frustrating to be honest, especially the boss. I recall the checkpoints being really poorly placed but I believe they added more checkpoints to the game in one of the post-release patches so I'm not sure if they improved them in that area or not.