Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

As an aside, Hitman 3 has some outstanding reflection effects and apparently that's not ray tracing even though those are the most impressive reflections I've seen this gen so far. So more like meh tracing, amirite

I've played one level from Hitman 1 in Hitman 3 and it nearly looks like one of those fake renders people used to do as a "Saints Row 5 leak" or whatever. It's like everything is made of polished plastic.

37 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

I've played one level from Hitman 1 in Hitman 3 and it nearly looks like one of those fake renders people used to do as a "Saints Row 5 leak" or whatever. It's like everything is made of polished plastic.

I'm talking about Hitman 3 and I disagree

29 minutes ago, Ry said:

When's the upgrade available on xbox? 

Tomorrow for everyone, AFAIK. 

I think this video is PS5 only because Sony had a marketing deal for Control. 

23 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Tomorrow for everyone, AFAIK. 

I think this video is PS5 only because Sony had a marketing deal for Control. 

He says the Series version will be covered by another guy at DF in a subsequent video.

Written coverage here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-control-ultimate-edition-next-gen-upgrade

The basics of the upgrade are already out there, courtesy of Remedy PR. There's feature parity between PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X with Control rendering at a native 1440p resolution, with temporal upsampling to 4K. Two modes are on offer - a 30fps capped experience featuring ray traced reflections (including transparencies) along with a 60fps performance mode without RT features. Meanwhile, Xbox Series S has no RT features, meaning a performance mode as the standard that renders natively at 900p, with a 1080p output. Dynamic resolution scaling is not implemented in this game.

I'm playing through on Series S at the moment and even if the save carried over, don't think I'd be paying money for 60fps. It feels good at a locked 30fps, anyway. And I'm like 70% of the way through it, so won't be restarting on PS5.

An inferior version of RT and at 30fps? After all the hyperbole regarding the power of the next gen consoles it’s not what I expected. Fair enough on console you’ve different visual settings but with a Ryzen 7 2700 and RTX 2070 Super I get 70 to 80fps with RT settings all on. My set up is hardly new or state of the art. Nvidia’s DLSS is an absolutely killer feature that the PS5 and Series X need to find via AMD somehow. 

What’s interesting is just how much PC settings end up getting dropped on console to hit a 30fps target with RT. It’d be interesting to see a comparison against an AMD card

On 29/01/2021 at 09:15, StoooTube said:

Have they fixed the DLSS issue in the PC Gamepass version yet? I’m not playing it till they do :blah:

Is this the GP version not letting you select DLSS in the settings as you ‘don’t have an RTX card’ when you fucking well do? Is it a widely reported bug? I thought it was just me.

13 hours ago, jonamok said:

Is this the GP version not letting you select DLSS in the settings as you ‘don’t have an RTX card’ when you fucking well do? Is it a widely reported bug? I thought it was just me.

It's a known bug and they've said that they are working on it, but no ETA for a fix.

Hopefully one will come soon now that they've gotten the console patches out the door.

I wonder if, whenever PS5 gets the VRR working (will it ever?), games such as this will have a VRR option. It looks like, with RT on, the game stays at a rock solid 30fps, perhaps there's a bit of headroom for 40-50fps, which VRR could mostly sort.

I took a bit of time off this to mess about with Hitman 1 and Medium, but returned to it last night, only to find myself finishing it within an hour, which was fairly unexpected.

The ending was sooner than I thought it would be, but I really liked it, as it eschewed a lot of gaming tropes. I also thought the Ashtray Maze was brilliant:

Spoiler

Although it didn't click for me that the completely out of place music was from the walkman that Ahti gives you.

I've been massively impressed with this. I've said earlier in the thread, none of Remedy's games have ever really hit home for me, but have felt like they were building to something special, and I think this is it.

The whole FBC/AWE/Object of Power thing makes for a great set up and there's a good bit of interesting lore dotted about the place, especially at the start of the game, which really drew me in. Unfortunately, in the latter half, a lot of it feels like filler and all the videos you find are just quite tedious. I don't have the time to sit through loads of videos of someone very slowly telling me about little tidbits. Once you kind of have the overall gist of what happens (probably at the midway point of the game) you don't learn much that really changes things until the final hour of the game.

But the initial set up is great and the FBC/Oldest House are done perfectly. The combat feels good (even if a few of the powers are a bit rubbish) and the overall design and style is just right on the money. I love everything about it, from the design of the Oldest House, to the animation when Jesse is running. Everything just holds together to create an atmosphere I can't really remember experiencing in anything else.

I played on Series S, without the next gen patch and despite it being like 900p30, I couldn't care less and it's kind of highlighted to me that so long as the game feels responsive and runs smoothly, the rest doesn't matter too much. 

I can't remember the last time I replayed a game to completion (possibly Halo 1, over 10 years ago), but think I may well replay this on PS5 at some point.

And this bit was just incredible:

Spoiler

I don't even know what to say about it, other than it was brilliant and came out of nowhere.

I've only played ten minutes of the PS5 version but I think I'll have to do a complete run through. The DualSense effects for how Jesse runs, walks, hops etc depending on surface are perfect, God knows what it'll feel like when I'm hoofing fork lift trucks at people.

1 hour ago, grounded_dreams said:

Some footage of the game running on PS5 using performance and graphics modes

60fps all the way. Just looks so much better to play. And thats what matters 

Yeah the ray tracing looks nice but the fluidity of all that destruction and all those effects in 60fps trumps it for me I think. Given the action is so fast paced it just makes sense.

In games that give you the choice between 60fps or 30fps with ray tracing I think I would only ever choose the latter in a slow paced game. The Medium for example would gain practically nothing running at 60fps.

18 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

He says the Series version will be covered by another guy at DF in a subsequent video.

Sorry, what I meant was that I assume Digital Foundry only got early access to whatever the publisher gave them,  which would be the version with the marketing deal attached. 

Recently, I’ve played Control and Miles Morales at 30fps and both have felt great and responsive. Meanwhile, Hitman 1 feels horrible, like I’m moving the camera through treacle, when played at 30fps. 

I can’t quite figure out why this would be the case, but thought it might be down to input lag, rather than just the framerate. 

33 minutes ago, Parappa said:

I tired this after playing it in 60fps.  It felt terrible :(

You can get used to it, your eyes adjust. Thankfully with Performance RT mode now, there's no need.

While I'd like a Performance RT option for this game, with so much physics shit going on I doubt it would be possible.

Well I messed with the options for a couple of minutes. Never played this game before but I can safely say ray tracing is as overrated as I thought it was.

Ray tracing is better, but Screen space reflections can look just as good if not quite  as accurate. The extra bump to ray tracing just isn’t worth half the frame rate.

Does this game have aggressive motion blur? It looks like it at 30fps.

Also the ray traced reflection finish updating a fraction of time after you stop moving which is kinda odd.

51 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

Well I messed with the options for a couple of minutes. Never played this game before but I can safely say ray tracing is as overrated as I thought it was.

Ray tracing is better, but Screen space reflections can look just as good if not quite  as accurate. The extra bump to ray tracing just isn’t worth half the frame rate.

Does this game have aggressive motion blur? It looks like it at 30fps.

Also the ray traced reflection finish updating a fraction of time after you stop moving which is kinda odd.

It looks like a relatively scaled back implementation of ray tracing, and if it’s true that the photo mode is uncapped and can hit 40-50fps it’s a shame there isn’t a VRR capable mode.

• Cosmic_Guru changed the title to Control. Latest weirdness from Remedy.