(Are you in) Control? - 27 August

7 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Nearly bought the PS4 version, for £18, earlier. I had these doubts though. You’ve vocalised them. I’ll complete quantum break first...

Quantum Break is great - and its only about 8 hours long (minus the TV bits anyway)- so yeah complete it first

Control is significantly better mind

The combat is the game, to be fair, and if you’re not enjoying the moment to moment challenge of capping fools and using your abilities then it’s not really going to open up for you any further. 

For what it’s worth I also really enjoyed exploring the oldest house, reading the lore and progressing the story, but yes, the combat is the thing. 

@SeanR, I'd suggest buying a physical copy that you can sell on if you don't gel with it. I played it on PC and unfortunately don't have that option.

@dreamylittledream, I got as far as unlocking

Spoiler

levitation, but I didn't feel that it opened up things in combat that much as it just made you more open to being shot, and I couldn't seem to aim as quickly as when I had both feet on the ground.

As for sidequests, I did a few, including the one that unlocks the dodge move, but there were some that I was gated off from on account of not having the clearance at the point when I unlocked them, and because the map was so rubbish, I was never particularly encouraged to backtrack to the places I'd already visited.

The only other type of sidequests I encountered were the item grinding ones you could access from the control points, which I didn't fancy, or the seemingly randomly generated ones that would suddenly flash up on your screen when you were in the middle of doing something, giving you a timer to get to a certain location and kill a certain number of enemies - I did a couple of these, but the negligible rewards I received from doing so just made them feel like padding, so I largely ignored them.

• 2 weeks later...

More details from Remedy's communications director here:

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/06/controls-awe-expansion-shines-light-into-new-mysteries-on-aug-27th/

including this little gem:

Finally, you might have heard a certain Alan Wake narrating the trailer and showing up at the very end. Over the years, we have included Easter eggs in our games that related some of Remedy’s games to each other, as you have seen if you played Control… but what if they were not all just Easter eggs?

What if there’s actually been a plan in place for over a decade on how some of our games are connected – a Remedy Connected Universe, if you will – and payoff for certain things is… down the line?

Am I the only one who thinks that this game is totally solid? I keep dying and dying over and over - there are some bosses that kill me in like 2 or 3 hits. It feels like I'm under-levelled in an RPG - is there an expectation that I should grind in this game?

Also the map is an absolute fucking abomination. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to the medical ward.

These things are an absolute shame, because the storyline, setting and lore is truly god-teir stuff. It's basically what's keeping me going.

The key to combat is to keep moving and hinder their lines of sight. Launch is usually your best weapon, and you'll probably need to mix up your weapons and personal mods. I found if I stuck to one configuration I got beat pretty badly.

And yeah, the map is dog shit.

It’s hard; and the right configuration of weapons, mods (though I mostly just go highest is best) and sufficiently beefed up powers is necessary. You also find that there are some bosses you’ll run into too early; go and do some side quests, or do the main story.

i also normally skip adding health in this kind of thing. Make sure you don’t make the same mistake - it makes it far harder and later bosses will knock off your starting health with each hit. Making sure to run over any blue health fragments is pretty important in some fights.

when it works, it works well. Pretty sure the last boss of the foundation (who killed me many times) only got killed in the end when I started using every single one of my powers.

I've been trying but I'm just not a fan of this game.  

There's things in here that I just don't think game developers should do any more.  No map markers, no difficulty levels.  I feel some ideas could be great but it's just a worse package than the sum of its parts should be.

I don't have much to say about this, but I finished it last night. The combat is really fun if you keep mobile and super aggressive (spamming powers and bullets).

The atmosphere and "game feel" are excellent and I really enjoyed the weirdness of the Oldest House and the world-building in general.

I haven't played a shooter I've enjoyed this much in years.

There were still parts that I found frustratingly hard at times, but I think a lot of the time, I needed to shift my approach and ended up coming out a fight I was losing before relatively unscathed (minus one optional area quite early on filled with mold that ended up being a dead end anyway).

5 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

Am I the only one who thinks that this game is totally solid? I keep dying and dying over and over - there are some bosses that kill me in like 2 or 3 hits. It feels like I'm under-levelled in an RPG - is there an expectation that I should grind in this game?

Also the map is an absolute fucking abomination. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get to the medical ward.

These things are an absolute shame, because the storyline, setting and lore is truly god-teir stuff. It's basically what's keeping me going.

Ignore the map, it’s set in an office building; there are signs everywhere.

5 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

You’re probably doing something wrong- a lot of this is catching the beat the environment and enemy types are setting and locking onto it so you can take control of the fight.

Hard fights for me went from 10 minute slogs I kept losing due to attrition to devastating three-minute smashes where I came out the other side completely exhilarated. Find the beat then take control.

The PSN sale price saw me take the plunge on this and I too completed it a couple of nights ago.

You've got to hand it to Remedy, they really have such a distinctive house style and Control feels in some ways like the apotheosis of everything they've put out over the last 20 years or so.

I thought the setting of The Oldest House was a fantastic juxtaposition of suffocatingly mundane corporate Brutalist architecture and warped urban horror New Weird fiction by way of the SCP Foundation. It's a very potent combination and atmospherically they absolutely nailed it. I found it a very unsettling space to be in because it's not overtly scary but the whole thing just feels 'wrong' and gets under your skin in a way that I've rarely experienced to the same degree before. The Dr Darling presentations and the many case files relating to Altered Items and Objects of Power dotted about the place all added up to a compelling background lore which was underpinned by the disturbing garbled messages from the Board and trips into the Astral Plane. It's just really great world-building. 

Combat is furious fun when you have all the skills and the way in which you can literally rip sections of wall off to use as a weapon is phenomenally empowering. The clean lines and office environments make total sense when you're launching yourself around everywhere hurling desks at possessed Hiss and the particle effects are exploding in an orgiastic riot of office furniture and concrete. The only thing I'd say here is that I found an upgraded Pierce and Launch to be pretty much all I needed to deal with whatever was thrown my way, so although the rhythm of the combat is to be commended it did get a little repetitive by the end and didn't pose much of a challenge aside from a couple of the side mission bosses who were absolute bastards.

I ended up getting the platinum trophy which is something I very rarely do, so despite my slight criticisms there it shows how much I must have enjoyed the core combat loop and just being in this unique space.

Like pretty much every Remedy game that I've played (which is all of them apart from Quantum Break) it's a rock solid 8/10, borderline 9. No-one makes games quite like them and in terms of the inherent Finnish oddness (which as someone who lived in Sweden for several years I can confirm is very much a thing, believe me) that they inject into everything they produce there's no-one that can compare.

Can't wait for the Alan Wake expansion which they've suggested will be more overtly scary. They could do pretty much whatever they want with this premise and setting and their recent hints that the whole 'Remedy Universe' will begin to tie together is a very intriguing prospect. I'm glad they're around very much doing their own thing. 

I did a replay of this about 2 months ago, but put it aside when new stuff came out.  I’d just done the Fridge Side Boss which was a real pain & I only beat by the skin of my teeth first time round, but was much easier this time. I put that down to being more ready for it.

Looking forward to the AWE DLC, as even though I never played Alan Wake I really liked Control’s story & the AW teasers in both it & the DLC have wetted my appetite for some kind of crossover and/or resolution.

13 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Ignore the map, it’s set in an office building; there are signs everywhere.

Yeah, the map was clearly added late on, but the game is designed around following the signs and remembering locations. 

I mainly used to see where the nearest fast travel point is. 

Really loved this game - it got me out of a gaming funk - and I wasn't expecting to as Quantum Break was kinda shite. I haven't tried the first dlc so will get the two of them eventually. 

Been playing this lately. It's really very good. I love the world building and the style. As someone who follows maps a little too closely in games, it took me a while to realise that it's best just to use it to get to a rough location and then follow the signs from that point. Would've saved me a lot of time getting lost.

My problem with the map is I'd use the signs in conjunction with the map, and in the core/power plant place you just ended up running round in circles. The Making Of... in Edge a couple of months ago was an interesting read with regard to the map and checkpoints, they acknowledge they could have done better on both fronts.

1 hour ago, dreamylittledream said:

The map apparently has been patched once so it must have been awful originally!!

Better check points coming in the patch accompanying the DLC 

Yeah that's another issue I'm having - the checkpointing isn't great. Also on a base PS4, it can get REALLY choppy when there's a lot of physics happening. This game is clearly pretty CPU-bound. I can't for the life of me understand why there's such a huge stall when accessing the menu system though. Surely a game shouldn't be stalling that hard when it's loading a menu system into memory?

Going in to the menu is fine, it’s the fractional frame rate when you go out of it that’s exasperating. You take your life in your hands every time you need to pause in a fight.

Loving what I've played so far, and really looking forward to the AWE expansion later this month.

Does suffer on an original Xbox One, particularly when you come back out of any of the menus into the game, where is pretty much pauses for a second or two.

8 minutes ago, Butters said:

Loving what I've played so far, and really looking forward to the AWE expansion later this month.

Does suffer on an original Xbox One, particularly when you come back out of any of the menus into the game, where is pretty much pauses for a second or two.

In all fairness it does exactly the same on an X