NIOH 2

MW_Jimmy

On 15/03/2021 at 09:19, Goemon said:

One of my favourite things to do with this weapon (from the skill tree) is getting a move for stance switching. I’m a big fan of 3 hits of mid stance, stance change to high for a sweeping attack that does a big chunk of damage.

The Switchglaive also has a super powerful move from high stance where you constantly spin your Glaive. 

I’m regularly aiming to blow an enemies Ki with the stance switch move, then Ki pulse for an attack boost and then go into this spinning attack. Can do hella damage!

Wow this was super helpful, grabbed that stance switching move and its great!

Was looking to see if i had the Onymo hunting garb stuff but dont so must be something you get during the game, found some decent light armor but doesnt seem like i can roll Onymo power onto it, I'll keep my eye out for stuff i can do that with though! Edit - The next sub mission I did about 10 mins after I posted ended up dropping some of that armor! 

When you say you played coop with people do you just mean you used the blue graves around the place or do you actually do proper coop? I've tried using the summon from the shrine but it never seems to find anyone so I have started using the blue graves, handy to have someone else "tank" whilst you spam spells.

Are any of the guardian spirits more useful for a magic build than others? Still using the shark as most others seem to require stats that i dont have to gain full effect from them?

3 hours ago, Munkienut said:

Wow this was super helpful, grabbed that stance switching move and its great!

Was looking to see if i had the Onymo hunting garb stuff but dont so must be something you get during the game, found some decent light armor but doesnt seem like i can roll Onymo power onto it, I'll keep my eye out for stuff i can do that with though! Edit - The next sub mission I did about 10 mins after I posted ended up dropping some of that armor! 

When you say you played coop with people do you just mean you used the blue graves around the place or do you actually do proper coop? I've tried using the summon from the shrine but it never seems to find anyone so I have started using the blue graves, handy to have someone else "tank" whilst you spam spells.

Are any of the guardian spirits more useful for a magic build than others? Still using the shark as most others seem to require stats that i dont have to gain full effect from them?

Ah really, I must have picked it up from somewhere as it doesn’t have a smithing text afaik.

Yea, TBH early on it’s hard to get those bonuses on your gear and you have to grind the tempering, which costs a lot. It’s good if you can get it though.

Getting people into your game can be a bit hit and miss, some rimes I get people straight away and some times I do the whole level without anyone.

I play a lot of coop by joining people’s games. This is what gets me all the gear, items, money etc. I never fail to join someone’s game almost instantly and then it’s just about grabbing as much swag as you can while helping keep your host alive. You do this by selecting Tori Gate, Random Encounters. I’ve done whole sessions where I’ve done nothing but join people’s games. Like I’ve mentioned before all loot drops in other people’s games scale to you, so you’re always getting decent stuff.

Definitely handy to call a blue grave AI if you’re struggling with something.

As for Guardian Spirits for magic users, Genbu the Tortoise and Kuzunoha the Fox are your best options as these spirits give bonuses linked specifically to Onmyo magic use.

24 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Ah really, I must have picked it up from somewhere as it doesn’t have a smithing text afaik.

Yea, TBH early on it’s hard to get those bonuses on your gear and you have to grind the tempering, which costs a lot. It’s good if you can get it though.

Getting people into your game can be a bit hit and miss, some rimes I get people straight away and some times I do the whole level without anyone.

I play a lot of coop by joining people’s games. This is what gets me all the gear, items, money etc. I never fail to join someone’s game almost instantly and then it’s just about grabbing as much swag as you can while helping keep your host alive. You do this by selecting Tori Gate, Random Encounters. I’ve done whole sessions where I’ve done nothing but join people’s games. Like I’ve mentioned before all loot drops in other people’s games scale to you, so you’re always getting decent stuff.

Definitely handy to call a blue grave AI if you’re struggling with something.

As for Guardian Spirits for magic users, Genbu the Tortoise and Kuzunoha the Fox are your best options as these spirits give bonuses linked specifically to Onmyo magic use.

Awesome, thanks again for the help! Very much appreciated.

Been playing through the DLCs of this at a more suitable level.

One thing I’m slightly disappointed with is that I can’t get any gear above level 150, which is what you’re given when you finish the game. The problem I have is that starting Way of the Strong difficulty instantly starts netting you gear above 150, yet doing DLC keeps you at 150 because you’re still in the difficulty Way of the Samurai.

This basically makes EVERYTHING I’m picking up lootwise a waste of time, as playing one level of WotS has already given me better gear than everything I’ve had playing all the DLCs thus far.

Still, there’s some nice new Yokai in the DLC and some are pretty scary to fight! It’s also nice to play levels where you have no idea what’s coming, which I haven’t had for a while. The final boss of Darkness in the Capital DLC was a real tw4t! 

Still can’t believe no one is talking about this!

I’m continuing my DLC run. 
I’ve onto The First Samurai DLC now, so more new Yokai and Bosses, which is cool.

I need to look at my stats properly but I’m getting crazy Anima bonuses with my current setup. I think it’s to do with the fact that I have multiple bonuses for ailing enemies (have a negative status effect) this is really good for Onmyo magic as you can put so many statuses on the enemies. I’m literally chucking magic and within 2-3 hits I’m getting enough Anima to use my strongest Soul Core. 

I’m probably using my main Soul Core (Lady Osakabe) around 10 times in one boss fight. This Soul Core is a huge AoE that hits multiple times and will even knock bosses out of whatever they’re trying to do. 

So I have now finished the base game and started the first DLC, done the first level in that area then decided to do some jolly coop, been having a lot of fun with the game and look forward to seeing the DLC. Currently level 140 and not had too many troubles with roadblocks through the game, enjoying the onymo and switchglaive build a lot, a nice change from dual swording the first game and magic just tears through enemies.

Started getting the green gear now which seems good but as you say its all capped at 150 for the DLC so guess I'm just aiming to find green versions of the genmei onymo set? Is there any particular switchglaive that is recommended over the others when you are going to be getting many of them at the same level? Usually just used the highest level or damage one whilst leveling.

7 hours ago, Munkienut said:

So I have now finished the base game and started the first DLC, done the first level in that area then decided to do some jolly coop, been having a lot of fun with the game and look forward to seeing the DLC. Currently level 140 and not had too many troubles with roadblocks through the game, enjoying the onymo and switchglaive build a lot, a nice change from dual swording the first game and magic just tears through enemies.

Started getting the green gear now which seems good but as you say its all capped at 150 for the DLC so guess I'm just aiming to find green versions of the genmei onymo set? Is there any particular switchglaive that is recommended over the others when you are going to be getting many of them at the same level? Usually just used the highest level or damage one whilst leveling.

Good luck getting any genmei armour!

I’ve finished all the DLCs now and I can count the amount of genmei armour that dropped on one hand...with fingers to spare!

One thing I did which if you get the chance is equipping the accessory drop of a Yasatani Magatama. This accessory has the fixed bonus of needIng 1 less equipment item for your stat bonus. This means you can get the 5 piece stat bonus for wearing 4 pieces of the genmei armour.

What’s good about this is if you get an Onmyo Warrior piece. Having 2 pieces gives you the bonus +25 Onmyo power and again you only need to wear 1 piece to get the 2 piece stat bonus.

Regarding weapon types, I’m actually running a Switchglaive and Splitstaff that imbue purity. This is mainly because I carry 8 fire, 8 water and 8 lighting Onmyo attacks, so I can get these status effects from those. TBH I think it’s more about tempering the right bonuses onto the weapons, for example I have a bonus of like 8% reduction on Ki use for high attacks as I regularly go into Infinite Retribution which is high stance only and constantly chugs Ki to do. Also I tempered until I got the juicy stat giving me an attack bonus based on my magic level, which is currently maxed.

If you didn’t know, if you disassemble purple equipment you get a piece of Umbracite which will allow you to temper. I usually sell blue, yellow and white gear and disassemble purple to get lots of it so I can temper until I get what I want on my weapon.

On 24/03/2021 at 12:53, Goemon said:

Still can’t believe no one is talking about this!

Finally got a replacement PS5, so starting on the 2 DLC I hadn't played yet. Thought my trophies had bugged importing to the remastered version, but turns out it some it doesn't import. Feel compelled to get it showing the platinum again. So far I'm using PS5 standard mode and it seems great.

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty sure that Elden Ring is my Game of the Year, maybe even my Game of the Decade, but finishing it made me pine for something with more combat depth and I knew Nioh 2 had it. Now I've already spent around 70 hours on Nioh 2, and I finished the first game, but I always had a niggling feeling that I wasn't playing it right. I played it much like I did Souls: - carry out a few actions, hang back and wait for my ki (stamina) to restore, return. Turns out that I was not only making the game harder for myself, I was also making it a hell of a lot less fun! With practice and skill, you can play Nioh 2 extremely aggresively and in a very freeform way, in a way that you never could a Souls game.

This time around I have watched a lot of videos from expert players as there are some incredible tutorials out there.

First of all there is this info dump which is a great start.

AObXATc.png

And then there are two very different guides. One is focussed. The other is a much more chilled, very very thorough runthrough. Both are great.

Nioh 2 Academy by PooferLlama

Nioh 2 Beginner Guides by Xelod93

I think you need to approach this game like you would learning an instrument. I am slowly getting better but it's infinitely more rewarding that my first time through!

I've become obsessed with it in the last week. Here's to many, many more hours!

Glad to hear it’s finally clicked @Timmo 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this isn’t just a simple souls clone. It is it’s own beast with a tonne of ideas, things to learn and understand. Once you get into it you can lose hours.

The game is mssive too and can easily net you the same amount of time as Elden Ring playing through.

I remember reading that the levels weren’t as good as souls games and while they’re more restrictive and not as lavish as some souls environments, doesn’t mean they’re not greatly designed levels. They have the shortcut/hidden path mentality, which still makes for enjoyable (and nerve wracking) exploring.

• 5 months later...

I'm more obsessed than ever after "finishing" it, because getting to the credits is barely starting! I'm now bulldozing through the second difficulty with a fun axe build which constantly regens health. I have read that the second difficulty is easiest and it feels incredibly satisfying to go through everything which caused me so many issues the first time. I've read that it ramps up in difficulty again on later difficulties, and then it looks like there's tons of endgame content. It's a ludicrously generous package and certainly for now it's my favourite videogame. One of my favourite things is how far you can push the builds, like having infinite ninjitsu, or constantly regenerating anima, or health which constantly tops up. And I know the deeper I get the more technical it will become.

On 21/04/2022 at 12:26, Goemon said:

The game is mssive too and can easily net you the same amount of time as Elden Ring playing through.

A common figure I'm seeing from people who take it riiiight to the end is 2,000 hours!

I'm currently on about 150, I think.

As much as I loved Elden Ring I had no desire to go back after my 90 hour playthrough.

11 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I'm more obsessed than ever after "finishing" it, because getting to the credits is barely starting! I'm now bulldozing through the second difficulty with a fun axe build which constantly regens health. I have read that the second difficulty is easiest and it feels incredibly satisfying to go through everything which caused me so many issues the first time. I've read that it ramps up in difficulty again on later difficulties, and then it looks like there's tons of endgame content. It's a ludicrously generous package and certainly for now it's my favourite videogame. One of my favourite things is how far you can push the builds, like having infinite ninjitsu, or constantly regenerating anima, or health which constantly tops up. And I know the deeper I get the more technical it will become.

I haven’t played for ages but yes, there’s plenty to do end game. It becomes about upping your gear as the legendary equipment unlocks when you finish it and the system for how you upgrade completely changes. After this there’s the urethral gear, which TBH ‘I never even got to.

I did enjoy messing with my legendary gear and would send ages obsessing over it, especially the moveable stats.

There’s also 2 lots of DLC to go through, which has plenty of new stuff as well as a new top difficulty.

The other thing is actually the coop, which is great fun too. I actually did another play through for like 100 hours basically jolly cooping the whole game with a new system/built set.

So glad you say it’s your top video game, it’s in my top games ever for sure. What kills me is the fact that the thread isn’t even 20 pages long :(

26 minutes ago, Goemon said:

So glad you say it’s your top video game, it’s in my top games ever for sure. What kills me is the fact that the thread isn’t even 20 pages long :(

My main criticism is at it’s not a great teacher. 

I actually played for 80 hours on release before dropping it. Turns out I was barely using anima, didn’t really understand the different burst counters, couldn’t ki pulse properly. And I finished NioH 1 as well!

There’s a wall to get over and it’s pretty high, and you aren’t helped enough to get over it, but when you do it’s such a great time. And you realise it was just as high as it needed to be. 

• 1 month later...

I'm playing this after seeing it get mentioned a lot in regards to its combat. I'm 20 hours in. It's really really difficult to learn this stuff. I think I 'cleared' the first area, and I'm rocking fists and the spinny scythe thing. Haven't quite developed the muscle memory for the stance dancing just yet, but I'm getting an understanding of the theory and what I need to do to flow between the stances and stack the buffs together with ki pulse.

I feel it's a game you really need to study tho, almost on a fighting game level with how the different stances affect your recovery and damage potential, and ki usage. Keeping track of all the on screen visuals is also really difficult, especially that fecking red counter burst indicator. I just find it very hard to react to and don't know why

I'm playing this too, getting a bit obssessed with it actually. I decided not to sweat the stance stuff pretty early on, I just stay in mid nearly all the time. Make sure you get the skill that allows you to Ki pulse on dodge, I end up doing it by accident half the time which is nice. The only things I watch for combat wise is the white smoke effect of an unblockable attack (dodge away when you see this) and the red burst attack to counter. I use the Brute type of counter as you don't have to be particularly good with the timing of it at all.

I think the turning point for me to 'get it' was the realisation you can block nearly everything (even the red burst moves can be blocked), so you can just do this and learn the movesets of any given enemy. It's so much fun, the combat in this.

I'm about 400 hours in and one trophy off a full sweep across the main game and DLCs. Obsessed would be an understatement, the depth and options after seeing the credits is unprecedented!

Bear in mind I bounced off this after my first 70 hours. But it turns out I wasn't playing properly. 

12 hours ago, stir fry said:

I feel it's a game you really need to study tho, almost on a fighting game level with how the different stances affect your recovery and damage potential, and ki usage. Keeping track of all the on screen visuals is also really difficult, especially that fecking red counter burst indicator. I just find it very hard to react to and don't know why

There's three different kind of burst counters, feral, brute and phantom. Try one of the others! Brute is the easiest to use - you don't have to time it, basically. If you do a brute counter into a red enemy, you counter him. The 'cost' is that you'll often trade a bit of damage, but you'll see. 

The game has a billion things to learn but it's all worth it! You'll very gradually learn everything. Then one day, poof. You're there. 

7 minutes ago, Timmo said:

I'm about 400 hours in and one trophy off a full sweep across the main game and DLCs. Obsessed would be an understatement, the depth and options after seeing the credits is unprecedented!

Bear in mind I bounced off this after my first 70 hours. But it turns out I wasn't playing properly. 

It was your advocacy of the game got me to try it, so thanks/curses for that 🙂 I bounced off the first one as the bosses were too hard. This one seems better tuned in that the boss will kick your ass but not badly enough to make you think you can't beat it. It's a very nice balance. My first attempts at Souls bosses always depress the hell out of me, but with this it's like 'oh riightt..'

I don't know if I'm playing it properly or not but if it feels this good it's can't be wrong!

Ok, the counter I'm using must be the one that trades then, cause I was using it a bit and feeling like I must be doing something wrong with the amount of trading that was happening. It almost feels like it only works on slow windup burst counters, or the ones you can dodge at first and counter a follow up,

4 minutes ago, stir fry said:

Ok, the counter I'm using must be the one that trades then, cause I was using it a bit and feeling like I must be doing something wrong with the amount of trading that was happening. It almost feels like it only works on slow windup burst counters, or the ones you can dodge at first and counter a follow up,

If you trade you have probably gone too late (or your range is wrong). For enemies like this with a quick wind up you are better dodging or blocking. Sounds like you are getting more into the technical side of the combat, I'm a cheeser 😉

1 hour ago, stir fry said:

Feral is probably best to use as it moves you quite far forward, so in scenarios where it’s mistimed you can regularly move out of the way of the attack.

25 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Feral is probably best to use as it moves you quite far forward, so in scenarios where it’s mistimed you can regularly move out of the way of the attack.

Phantom doubles as a block when you fail to burst counter, so is similarly forgiving. All three have their advantages, definitely worth trying them all!

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the full platinum last week, ie. all trophies including DLCs... and I still can't move on.

There's an absolutely ludicrous amount of post-game content in this, going way beyond the trophies. On reaching the highest difficulty you also unlock the Underworld which is an entirely new game mode in itself, with 108 Floors taking probably 30 mins each, and after that there's ANOTHER mode called the Depths which is for the super hardcore.

And despite all this I STILL feel like I've barely scratched the surface of much of it. The axe is the only weapon I feel confident with, I've only really used about 10 of the 100+ soul cores, I haven't used most of the graces which give game-changing bonuses. I still have a load of weapon skills to unlock. The depth is ridiculous.

I've installed DMC5 and Dark Souls 3 (never played the DLC) but can't bring myself to start them when I have this to play.