NIOH 2

MW_Jimmy

Another great coop session this morning.

I kept myself in Region 1 but completed the 3 main missions as you need to have finished the 3rd mission to start properly getting Onmyo magic equipment.

I’ve had tonnes of armour that has Ninjitsu buffs, pretty much from the beginning but I rarely see equipment with magic buffs, perhaps I’m just being unlucky.

Still, I finally got a 5 piece Shinto Priest set.

Reading the buffs for the set they’re not as exciting as I thought. The main one being a health buff for purifying, so will ideally need to get a hold of some weapons that imbue purity.

Played with a guy this morning, he was either a genius or completely clueless!
He’d worked his way to the 3rd stage boss without unlocking the shortcut between shrines 2 and 3 or getting rid of ANY poison!

Also when fighting the boss, he pretty much kept his distance and let me do it all, which wasn’t easy when half the room was poison! Still we did it and ironically I got a Trophy for it! So well done him!

1 hour ago, Mr.Crowley said:

I think I'm about to give up this game. I just can't beat the second boss, Enenra. I'm at level 30 and I'm doing worse with every try.  Goddamn.

Burst Counter is the most important factor in all the boss encounters because the momentary stun lets you wail on them for 2-3 seconds. Other than that Enenra is swing, swing, kick, or variations on that depending on how much health he has. The mines are easily avoidable by back-dashing. When he teleports, make sure your back isn't against a wall because the lock-on camera will fuck you up and he'll likely kick you hard. Other than that, be patient. Its a slow grind. Not big DPS for the win. Always move/evade in low stance. Then when you can, switch to mid/high for 1-2 hits max. Ki pulse, then back off.

Its a lot to deal with in such a small arena. Make sure you kite him into hitting all 4 pillars in each corner of the room - its free damage and it also soaks him, making him take more damage than usual. But don't jump in willy-nilly if the timing isn't right.

If you're on PC i can jolly coop to help? I just restarted my PC save because i wanted to go full RP on the Ryu Hayabusa skin that Team Ninja gave out earlier today. :ph34r:

Bait out the two kick combo by staying close to him. After the second kick twat him. You can bait this fairly consistently. Constantly moving to the left avoids most things. Try to avoid smashing the pillars for now. After a while he'll enter the yokai realm.  Now get the pillars between you and him and he'll see smash them hurting himself and you can wail on him briefly.

Repeat until he yokai realms again, then activate guardian spirit and kick his ass.

He doesn't like water much, and the Kodamas sell water amulets for your weapon....

Summon blue mans to distract as well if need be!

The teleport just keep strafing left and he'll miss.

3 hours ago, Mr.Crowley said:

I think I'm about to give up this game. I just can't beat the second boss, Enenra. I'm at level 30 and I'm doing worse with every try.  Goddamn.

My tip for him, run around a lot, you’ll spot his openings, this game has a reverse difficulty curve therefore he’s bloody hard.

1 hour ago, El Spatula said:

Bait out the two kick combo by staying close to him. After the second kick twat him. You can bait this fairly consistently. Constantly moving to the left avoids most things.

I still love how the combat is so intricate in this that the difference between total failure and quick success can be something as seemingly trivial as always dodging boss attacks in a certain direction.

10 hours ago, Mr.Crowley said:

I'm on the PS5. The boss fight is just fucking chaos, most of the time I don't know what kills me, I depend on a summon just to keep me alive for a while. 

Give me a shout if you want me to join your game and help. I’ve helped loads of people on this boss.

The game is tough solo, there’s no denying it, but you call the right people in for coop and they will help you beat the boss for sure.

Are you summoning real people or just AI?

Actually speaking of this boss I got a new friend on my FL who was struggling with this exact level.

He messaged me after the fact thanking me has he didn’t believe he could beat the boss without help. I told him it was fine and that it was still very early in the game, and there was still a lot to learn. I also mentioned the importance of calling people in to help if he was struggling.

Had an odd coop game the other night, was the second boss in region 4, 3 of us joined and the player with the yellow name didn't actually help they kept doing this emote where they would fall over and roll around on the floor.

Next thing I know they had teleported to the boss door, me and the other guy had to do the whole level by ourselves, I could see that the yellow player was in camera mode taking shots as the icon changed to a camera above their name, but they were miles away waiting for us to reach them.

Got to the boss and they just stood in the corner while we somehow killed it, was a crazy fight and was not quite sure how we managed it but we did. Had to wait for the exit level to time out a the yellow player didn't choose 'go forward' after the boss was down. Was most strange.

4 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

Had an odd coop game the other night, was the second boss in region 4, 3 of us joined and the player with the yellow name didn't actually help they kept doing this emote where they would fall over and roll around on the floor.

Next thing I know they had teleported to the boss door, me and the other guy had to do the whole level by ourselves, I could see that the yellow player was in camera mode taking shots as the icon changed to a camera above their name, but they were miles away waiting for us to reach them.

Got to the boss and they just stood in the corner while we somehow killed it, was a crazy fight and was not quite sure how we managed it but we did. Had to wait for the exit level to time out a the yellow player didn't choose 'go forward' after the boss was down. Was most strange.

Is this the PC version? Sounds like ha><0rs to me.

You shouldn’t have to wait for people in order to finish the level yourself, and the other stuff sounds broken.

I had a guy the other morning, was SUPER high spec. He was dressed like an amateur ninja, would run into the middle of the fight area, play the panicky/scared animation, get hit by all the enemies and then 1 shot everything before running off to the next set of fights.

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

Is this the PC version? Sounds like ha><0rs to me.

You shouldn’t have to wait for people in order to finish the level yourself, and the other stuff sounds broken.

I had a guy the other morning, was SUPER high spec. He was dressed like an amateur ninja, would run into the middle of the fight area, play the panicky/scared animation, get hit by all the enemies and then 1 shot everything before running off to the next set of fights.

no it was on PS5, it did cross my mind but they just did nothing really, just messed around.

21 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

no it was on PS5, it did cross my mind but they just did nothing really, just messed around.

Wow, I know the PS5 is a bit more buggy than the PS4 version but that sounds pretty crazy. I’ve never had anything like that in all my sessions online and I’d say I’ve had a fair chunk.

In other news I’m slowly getting used to the Switchglaive and Splitstaff. I only just realised recently that the Splitstaff has the ability to alter its attacks by holding the button. So press the button and it will throw out an attack, hold the button and it throws out the attack and puts an extra spin after the first attack for another hit. This leads to some pretty interesting combos, when you start to mix up pressing and holding.

Finally moved onto the 3rd region, but feel I’m starting to open out a lot of levels so I rarely run into the early levels on a random search. I’m conflicted between helping beginners vs unlocking more cool magic as I enjoy both.

I feel there’s an etiquette when jumping into someone’s game. I’m there to help so I tag along with the host and let them decide where to go, what to do etc. Some people literally just run off ahead and lay waste to all the enemies before the host even gets there. I think that’s pretty rude as you’re basically breaking the level experience for them, maybe it’s just me.

Aother thing I’m kinda looking forward to is getting to the DLC with a suitably levelled character. Playing with my old character I was too high for one difficulty and to low for another, so it will be good to tackle a level at the recommended spec.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking that if I buy the PS4 version of this for £15, or whatever it's currently going for, I can get the PS5 update for free? Do I have to do anything apart from stick it in the console and download the update automatically?

I couldn't get on with the first game, but this one sounds better.

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Am I right in thinking that if I buy the PS4 version of this for £15, or whatever it's currently going for, I can get the PS5 update for free? Do I have to do anything apart from stick it in the console and download the update automatically?

I couldn't get on with the first game, but this one sounds better.

What didn’t you like about the first one?
The game is better than the first but it’s not vastly different. 

15 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Saying I didn't like it is a bit strong, really - I just didn't have the patience for it when I played it, and it wasn't too long after I'd played Sekiro, which it obviously draws lots of comparisons with. I've heard lots of people talk positively about this one since it came out last year, and I want something more to play on my PS5 after Demon's Souls.

I wanted to write a quick break down for this for people who were on the fence about whether to get it / play it but were nervous about it being too tough.

There’s no denying this game is tough in single player, so if you plan to play solo you need to be prepared for a hard ride.

However, I think there’s A LOT to be said about the coop of this game.

This isn’t like DS multiplayer at all. Multiplayer in this is almost like a different game! Firstly you can do the whole level MP. This makes for a very different experience when there’s 3 of you trooping through the level. Suddenly, taking on an Yokai is in your favour as the Yokai may not even focus on you for the whole time everyone is fighting it. Areas that have multiple enemies in become a fair fight when in a team and boss fights will always give you breathing room when there’s other people there.

It’s such a different experience I’d actually liken it a bit more to something like Final Fight or Streets of Rage. Where you’re playing together taking on enemies. However this still has all the vastness of levelling your character, weapons, magic, ninjitsu, Yokai powers, crafting, loot fests etc. etc.

The game is also far more generous at allowing MP.
I’ve been playing MP since the beginning and I now have over 400 ochoko cups (that allow you to summon visitors). Once you finish a level you can become a visitor to other people’s games for that level and part of the looting as a visitor is getting ochoko cups. basically you never have to worry about being short of ochoko cups as all you have to do is be a visitor in someone’s gme and you’ll get more.

There’s also no real risk for dying as a visitor, you don’t lose anything you just return to your world with everything you collected. You can literally grind yourself up in MP risking nothing.

So much like Magic is Dark Soul’s easy mode, multiplayer is this game’s easy mode.

5 hours ago, Goemon said:

Silent protagonist of your creation vs cheesy Bill is a significant upgrade imo. If creating your own avatar is important to you it'll make all the difference to your level of investment in the game. 

2 hours ago, Orococco said:

Silent protagonist of your creation vs cheesy Bill is a significant upgrade imo. If creating your own avatar is important to you it'll make all the difference to your level of investment in the game. 

Absolutely! But as good as Team Ninja are at making perfect preset faces, i always spend my coop cash on the NPC skins, because they're twice as good looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late to the party (again) but bought the double pack when it came out for ps5. Can't believe I slept on these games so long as a big fan of the souls games. I finished the main story of the original nioh and loved every second. Started the DLC and the first boss stopped me dead in my tracks, was dying in two hits, hadnt had many road blocks with the other bosses but that one was so hard, I decided not to go grind for levels and to start nioh 2 instead.

After playing dual blades for the majority of the first game I decided I wanted to try magic seeing the two weapons that scaled with magic at the start. Been doing fairly well so far with a magic build (currently around 30 points in magic, 20 in constitution and 15 in heart). I've been using the seething dragon switchglaive pretty much exclusively from early on thanks to soul matching, also the shark spirit guardian and light armor. Think I'm close to the end of the second land, guessing the mission I'm about to do will end it. Got a few questions if anyone can answer.

Is magic viable all the way through? Feel like I cant equip many spells (onmyo or whatever) at this level. Also do I get another set of quick buttons? Believe they came from the blacksmith in the original but not seen it appear yet.

Any tips for a magic build? Any amazing spells I should aim to get?

How many points should I be putting into the other stats?

Any recommendations on a spirit guardian for a magic build?

I've never used the reset stats book in the first game or this one, will using that reset the points I've put in the various trees as well as my level?

10 hours ago, Munkienut said:

Bit late to the party (again) but bought the double pack when it came out for ps5. Can't believe I slept on these games so long as a big fan of the souls games. I finished the main story of the original nioh and loved every second. Started the DLC and the first boss stopped me dead in my tracks, was dying in two hits, hadnt had many road blocks with the other bosses but that one was so hard, I decided not to go grind for levels and to start nioh 2 instead.

After playing dual blades for the majority of the first game I decided I wanted to try magic seeing the two weapons that scaled with magic at the start. Been doing fairly well so far with a magic build (currently around 30 points in magic, 20 in constitution and 15 in heart). I've been using the seething dragon switchglaive pretty much exclusively from early on thanks to soul matching, also the shark spirit guardian and light armor. Think I'm close to the end of the second land, guessing the mission I'm about to do will end it. Got a few questions if anyone can answer.

Is magic viable all the way through? Feel like I cant equip many spells (onmyo or whatever) at this level. Also do I get another set of quick buttons? Believe they came from the blacksmith in the original but not seen it appear yet.

Any tips for a magic build? Any amazing spells I should aim to get?

How many points should I be putting into the other stats?

Any recommendations on a spirit guardian for a magic build?

I've never used the reset stats book in the first game or this one, will using that reset the points I've put in the various trees as well as my level?

I literally just finished the game last night as a Magic build, caveats to that being I mainly played coop and I put all of my stats into Magic only. The only time I changed was when I had to up my Constitution and Skill in order to wear the Seimei Onmyo set. You don’t get this set for a while though.

Best tip for magic IMO is to make sure all your armour (as much as you can) has Onmyo magic power and Untouched Onmyo somewhere on it. Having these on your items ups the damage of your magic and ups your chance that you will get an extra use of your magic. Tempering equipment allows you to change the bonuses on your gear.

My essential magic are the Steel and Protection talismans. These negate a good chunk of damage and can be the difference between living and dying.

The Onmyo Hunting garb is a standard armour (afaik) so it can be forged from the beginning and has a default stat of Onmyo power.

You have 2 main ways of using more magic. Upping your magic stat, upping magic items on your skill tree that you already own. Doing this ups the amount you can use and lessens the cost to equip.

You turn on extra slots of quick buttons in the options menu, you can have up to 4.

A Book of Reincarnation resets your stats only, if you want to reset your skill trees you have to use a Zen Manual

Thanks @Goemon, that's all very helpful.

Enjoying the magic and switchglaive a lot. Made it to the third area having cleared all sub missions in the previous two. Looking forward to moving onwards tonight!

21 minutes ago, SpookyEmc2 said:

I need to go back to this. I think i got alittle frustated with the Owl boss and havent been back for a few weeks.

May just do a summonings to get help to get past it. 

Even calling in an AI summon can be helpful. Someone else in the fight gives you breathing room for healing, casting or even getting in a number of cheeky hits.

I’d also suggest doing some coop and help other people. Going into another person’s game will allow you to build up a stock of ochoko cups that you use for summons.

One thing that I didn’t mention in a previous post, which is also great about coop is the fact that loot drops scale to you. So you could be level 60, join someone’s game that’s doing a level 30 mission and you will still get level 60 drops. 

15 minutes ago, Munkienut said:

Thanks @Goemon, that's all very helpful.

Enjoying the magic and switchglaive a lot. Made it to the third area having cleared all sub missions in the previous two. Looking forward to moving onwards tonight!

Yea, I went full on magic so I picked the Switchglaive and Splitstaff as my weapons.

One of my favourite things to do with this weapon (from the skill tree) is getting a move for stance switching. I’m a big fan of 3 hits of mid stance, stance change to high for a sweeping attack that does a big chunk of damage.

The Switchglaive also has a super powerful move from high stance where you constantly spin your Glaive. 

I’m regularly aiming to blow an enemies Ki with the stance switch move, then Ki pulse for an attack boost and then go into this spinning attack. Can do hella damage!