rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MW_Jimmy

NIOH 2

Nioh 2 is the game that keeps on giving! 

It took me 120 hours to see the credits. Now that sounds like a massive investment, and it is. Sure, you can bee-line it through the main missions, kill the big boss and be done in half that time. But i chose to clear every part of every map, and none of it felt like filler or fodder.

Then you hit NG+. The same missions (some slightly remixed), but now you're experienced, you can refine your build, tweak it, and within a couple of missions you're upgraded and can feel the power of your choices. Now you're running rampant through those early levels that gave you so much grief first time round, and its pure gaming joy! 

Its definitely not how games should be structured. But the jump from gritted determination to easy-breeezy is sooooooo satisfying. And don't get me wrong, NG+ (aka Way of The Strong) is very difficult compared to NG, its just the options available to you are a reward for having played the game this long. Some have said the first playthrough is like your extended tutorial, and in some ways it is.

Not many people have the time nor inclination to deal with a game like this or what i've described above. Nioh 1 or 2 can be enjoyed without the endgame in mind as self-contained experiences and they are brilliant games, no doubt. But if you dare to delve deeper, you may find yourself obsessed too.

I hate to make the obvious comparison, but with no Souls on the horizon, maybe give Team Ninja a chance. They've come a long way. 

• Upvote 3

Do you guys think the season pass will be worth it? I presume nothing has come out with it yet?

25 minutes ago, Sumire said:

Do you guys think the season pass will be worth it? I presume nothing has come out with it yet?

Yes 100%

There are 3 DLC's planned, each adding a new difficulty and more weapons

I suspect we will see the first one in July

I can't wait

5 hours ago, Curtis said:

Nioh 2 is the game that keeps on giving! 

It took me 120 hours to see the credits. Now that sounds like a massive investment, and it is. Sure, you can bee-line it through the main missions, kill the big boss and be done in half that time. But i chose to clear every part of every map, and none of it felt like filler or fodder.

Then you hit NG+. The same missions (some slightly remixed), but now you're experienced, you can refine your build, tweak it, and within a couple of missions you're upgraded and can feel the power of your choices. Now you're running rampant through those early levels that gave you so much grief first time round, and its pure gaming joy! 

Its definitely not how games should be structured. But the jump from gritted determination to easy-breeezy is sooooooo satisfying. And don't get me wrong, NG+ (aka Way of The Strong) is very difficult compared to NG, its just the options available to you are a reward for having played the game this long. Some have said the first playthrough is like your extended tutorial, and in some ways it is.

Not many people have the time nor inclination to deal with a game like this or what i've described above. Nioh 1 or 2 can be enjoyed without the endgame in mind as self-contained experiences and they are brilliant games, no doubt. But if you dare to delve deeper, you may find yourself obsessed too.

I hate to make the obvious comparison, but with no Souls on the horizon, maybe give Team Ninja a chance. They've come a long way. 

Have you done your housekeeping from last night?

If you need anything else or need me to redrop so you can farm more of the what you need, let me know.  I will be on later as usual

Maybe some more jolly coop, would be good to get 3 of us together for a session

Did my first Twilight Mission last night, a re-run of the iron forge. Thought it would be a piece of piss now I'm in my 40s level-wise, but bloody Ippon-dataras and their wildly-varying move sets that seem to depend on how pissed off they are threw me for a loop. Pumped up Enenra was tough too - my bone spirit tonfas just weren't doing the damage numbers. Took me four or five goes - luckily his tornado attack is easy to yokai-counter.

Absolutely loving this, it's got its hooks in me.

• Upvote 1

I’m still plodding away with my gear.

I’ve started messing around with the ninja skills more and I’m starting to think they need to balance things differently.

I feel that weapons that scale with either ninjitsu or magic are the obvious choice as you’re basically getting 2 stats for one. I guess the other stats have benefits too but nothing that compares to bonus you get from these two.

If you’re making a ninja build or a magic build then your melee should always be weak IMO

I’ve finalised of Kusarigama and Hatchets for weapons. I love this mix. The Kusarigama gives me a flurry of attacks and the Hatches give me crazy powerful long distance option. Scaling the Dexterity stat also gives me the ninjitsu options.

Love some of the other weapons too but as mentioned that bonus of having ninjitsu or magic outweigh anything else.

Saying that I had been scaling with the Axe so my Stamina was way high. Respec’ing and losing this I felt the difference immediately, even though I stayed within the A rank for armour lightness. The difference between being 26.5% encumbrance vs being 15% was definitely noticeable. When I first did it I thought I’d moved to B rank as I felt like I was playing in sludge.

I instantly had to respec again to put a few levels into stamina.

I’m finding the Hatchets super interesting. I don’t know if it’s a glitch or what but sometimes I throw my charged Hatchet and it hits twice and the damage is ludicrous! I know one of the mystic arts is throwing with the correct timing does more damage, but I not sure if this is it.

I’m currently wearing a full set of Sohaya Garb clothing, one of the bonuses is that your stealth against Yokai is rank A. I find this hilarious as I can be standing in right in front of a Yokai and they just can’t see me. I’m likely gonna swap this set out but I do think it’s pretty good.

2 hours ago, MikeF said:

Have you done your housekeeping from last night?

Kind of. :lol:

30 minutes ago, Goemon said:

I’m currently wearing a full set of Sohaya Garb clothing, one of the bonuses is that your stealth against Yokai is rank A. I find this hilarious as I can be standing in right in front of a Yokai and they just can’t see me. I’m likely gonna swap this set out but I do think it’s pretty good.

I had an accessory drop very early game that had 'Stealth Yokai A' on it, and i never took it off for all of my first playthrough. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Sumire said:

Given the quality of the DLC for the first game, guaranteed to be of high standard.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Curtis said:

Kind of. :lol:

Haha,

My Tonfa build is back out now, levelling it up some more

Can't decide which build to take into the DLC, so want to get them all to the same level

If you need more inheritables dropping, let me know.  I can redrop what I did last night or change it up some

50 mins of grinding and I finally got the Flying Kato smithing text.

In hindsight it probably wasn’t worth it with all the Flying Kato gear I collected doing the mission over and over.

Just got to decide on what combination of gear I’m gonna wear and start levelling it fully.

I’m in the 2nd last region of NG+ now so will be finishing off that too.

The game is just so playable. Even after 150 hours it’s still on my mind when I’m not actually playing. Can’t believe this thread is barely 11 pages long, this game is easily my GotY. 

• Upvote 2

Smithing texts are way better than using dropped gear.

If you forge your gear the stat requirements are lower than if you use a dropped piece

Oh yea, I know it’s better. I was just being a bit facetious as it took an hour and I had picked up a tonne of Flying Kato gear waiting for an item.....to make Flying Kato gear.

My mind is still a wash at the minute with things I want to do, I’ve got a bucket list in my head that I need to write down.

I was actually a bit foolish as I was just blindly upgrading divine gear to get the numbers higher without actually looking at which items had the better stats. I’ve now upped a load of gear where a lot of the the stats that I can transfer, aren’t that great. I’ve also spent a fortune at the blacksmith and am now low on money.

Felt a bit guilty this morning, was playing a mission with a guy and I did a bit of a Leroy Jenkins.

We killed some Yokai in an area, then ran on and I got a key for a locked door back in that area. I ran back and lobbed myself down but I forgot I’d used a shrine and all the Yokai had respawned. The guy jumped in the help me and got lynched as we were surrounded by Yokai. As soon as he died I just legged it.

You can use those items to level your new gear anyway, so all is not lost.

Pick your build and they get the necessary gear pieces and inherit stats and level them appropriatley

I may be able to help with inheritables depending on what build you go for

I will be on later to continue levelling my Tonfa build, made a few changes to it, I now hit very hard with one skill but also loose health at the same time, this is compensated by hitting that quickly and using extraction talismans to recover health as I loose it

Think tonfa may be the build I use in the first DLC

Kamaitachi down in three goes. Ohhhh yeeeaaahhh! 

Was actually a very enjoyable fight, but much easier than Yatsu-no-kami. I think those huge ugly crawling yokai throughout the level gave me more trouble. I liked kamaitachi's moveset though; countering her leap from the tree was always satisfying. 

• Upvote 1

Anyone know what the Iga Jonin smithing text drop rate is like?

I’m thinking to mix my Flying Kato set as I’m not carrying the sword so miss the last bonus. So I was thinking I would prefer to double down on my ninjitsu power with a mix of the sets.

I’m not a fan of the Hanzo the Demon dojo fight though so I don’t like the idea of having to grind it.

That's a great result, given it's not a massive AAA title, only out since March and not available on PC yet.

3 hours ago, Goemon said:

I’m thinking to mix my Flying Kato set as I’m not carrying the sword so miss the last bonus. So I was thinking I would prefer to double down on my ninjitsu power with a mix of the sets.

Get yourself a Yasakani Magatama by grinding the mission Abduction. Its an essential endgame item!

There's a guaranteed Accessory item drop at the start of the level. Run up. Kill 3 dudes. Press circle to loot. Hover over the item without picking it up. If its no good, run back to Shrine. Repeat 1 more time. Whatever drops the second time you may as well keep, then Branch Fragment outta there. Reload the mission and rinse-repeat the above until you hit paydirt.

Took me 30 mins but its RNG so good luck. 

Oh wow! Photo Mode and 9 new missions as part of todays update! :omg:

First DLC drops July 30th.

• Upvote 1

Oh yes, updating now

Now to find full patch notes

9 new missions, nice!

I’m imagining they’re some crazy dual boss type affairs. It’s one thing that I remember from the first game that I haven’t really seen in this.

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

Oh wow! Photo Mode and 9 new missions as part of todays update! :omg:

First DLC drops July 30th.

Day before my birthday! Hyped for this. Did they say anything more about the content? Actually maybe I don't want to know.

There's info about the first DLC on the PSBlog, but i avoided reading it as i wanna go in fresh.

Yes, photo mode! Could have done with one in the first Nioh to be fair, some of the lighting in the levels was pretty. 

All missions down on both difficulties

Havent found patch notes yet, but will be looking at what the DLC brings after my run

Something i just realised with that new Million Demon Armour set: it has no fixed Special Effects, meaning you can fill all the slots with inheritables (assuming there are enough in-game that don't clash with one-another).

Thats a proper blank canvas build.

5 minutes ago, Curtis said:

Something i just realised with that new Million Demon Armour set: it has no fixed Special Effects, meaning you can fill all the slots with inheritables (assuming there are enough in-game that don't clash with one-another).

Thats a proper blank canvas build.

I love that I've played this game for hundreds of hours already, and still barely know what that means.

I thought i was doing okish in this until I got to the first boss? Enenra, or something. I have 5 health potions, and none of those cups to summon help now even. I did summon initially, but I presume it was an NPC as it was useless, died pretty quick and it was level 40. I cannot even get its health to half way. Seems beyond my gaming skills lol. I think I must have missed something fundamental on combat as well as it says to counter press R2 and circle, but it does not even seem to work. I wait for the boss to do that red move, but it just seems to ignore it.

If you want to use the cups to summon people, make sure you are using summon visitor at the Shrine, not the blue benevolent graves. That won't be an NPC, but they could also just not be very good..

15 minutes ago, Sumire said:

as it says to counter press R2 and circle, but it does not even seem to work. I wait for the boss to do that red move, but it just seems to ignore it.

You need at least 1 bar of Anima (purple gauge) to Burst Counter. Also, counters vary depending on your Guardian Spirit type - Brute is slow & crap. Feral moves far & fast and can be used as an evade. Phantom stays in place and is the easiest to use as a straight up parry.

Edge have given this a review

Spoiler

and gave it 7. It is easily a 9 for me.

Hoping my copy arrives tomorrow to understand why.

• Upvote 1