rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
MW_Jimmy

NIOH 2

Wait 10 years for the first game and the sequel shows up a couple of years later. Typical!

Pretty much nothing to go on, but Team Ninja have got a new franchise on their hands now:

Oh wow, wasn’t expecting this so soon!

The game sold very well from what I understand, so I guess it’s expected. Glad Team Ninja are back on form.

Nioh was my game of 2017 so I’m in like Flynn for this. 

Nioh was brilliant, so glad the series is continuing!

Wonder where they'll go setting-wise, as William's story and the whole warring states period was pretty much done and dusted in the first game.

As if anyone had the patience to sit through those cutscenes to know either way...

I really need to get back to the first one's DLC. Loved what I played, but I hope they manage to introduce a little more variety into the sequel. It felt like they allowed themselves to be far too limited by the setting in the first, even when they had this huge supernatural element that would have permitted almost anything really.

Oh wow!

If there’s a push for multiplayer stress testing, there could be a lot going on with that side of the game. Exciting stuff!

I guess there’s no indication on how to get a code?

I got a code last night, assumed they'd be pretty liberal with them but looking on here it seems like I got lucky. Hopefully they've still got some to send out.

I was a bit ambivalent about the first one and got fatigued with it about halfway through (loved the combat and setting, wasn't keen on the amount of loot management and repetition) so I'm really curious to see how this is looking.

If they fix and streamline the metagame stuff, build some interesting, good looking levels and half the play-time of the original then this could be absolutely amazing. 

Looks very similar. I mean,  I'm not judging the quality but if you'd told me this was a fan-made mod I would have believed you.

Yeah, from what I've played it seems very much the first game with minor improvements. Good news for those who loved that but I'm not sure it's going to convert anybody. If the asset re-use was something that bugged you in the first you're probably going to have a bad feeling just starting this game up. Halving the length and going for quality over quantity as petrolgirls mentioned could potentially be enough in itself for me, but obviously there's no way of guessing how long it'll be based on the alpha and I'd be surprised if they alter their approach all that much.

It looks very, very slightly better to me on a Pro. The framerate is a rock solid 60 and the resolution looks a little better in action mode, but it's nothing remarkably different. There are a lot more splashes of vibrant colour as was obvious in the trailer and that's definitely welcome just to add a bit of visual interest.

Loot seems pretty much unchanged but I did get a couple of pretty cool weapons very quickly in comparison with the original, could just be stuff they've thrown in there for the alpha though I guess. The way you manage it is the same. The skill tree has a more traditional layout now which personally I find much clearer than the original, but from memory it seems like some of the previously universal upgrades now have their own weapon-dependent ones? I guess if it throws upgrade points at you pretty regularly that won't be too much of an issue but it'll probably end up feeling weird if you decide to switch weapons late on and don't have access to skills you'd been taking for granted. The skills on the whole seem pretty much identical, so anyone hoping that there'd be radically different moves to play with might be disappointed.

The yokai switch thing is an improvement on living weapon I'd say, it seems a bit more interesting and varied at first glance but perhaps not quite as powerful as living weapon was from the start. One thing I'm not sold on is the bosses having it, it makes them feel a bit tedious and damage sponge-y because while they're in that state your own ki recovers much more slowly and your task is pretty much to deplete theirs before you can really deal damage again. I think it's a cool idea which maybe needs some tweaking unless I'm missing something (entirely possible at this point).

The NPC summoning mechanic is good I guess. It gives you another option if you're struggling, same as the Dark Souls ones really.

I think based on this I'll be waiting to read impressions of the long-term structure of the game and how some of the changes play out as it progesses before buying it myself. I might even go back to the first one in the meantime since I've had a bit of a break from it now.

• Upvote 4

I just got an email with an alpha code for this. Check yours as it seems like they’re sending them out somewhat at random, seeing as the alpha’s been running for 4 days already.

Looking forward to trying it out as I loved the first game.

I did very much like the first game, but given that the main complaints about it were

- A bit samey

- Lack of variety

- Too repetitive

I'm not wholly comforted by what they seem to be showing so far.

I suppose at least they've timed it well, in the middle of this lull in critically acclaimed 16th century Japanese ninja action titles.

Hope this does well for them.
The first was 10 years in the making so would have cost them a lot. This is their chance to make some money on the franchise.

Complaints of sameness and repetition don’t matter if you enjoy the systems. Plenty of learning to be had there if you look for it.

I’ll be all over it.

• Upvote 1

This is so good its making me upset. I want the full game so i can get stuck in and make some actual progress.

March seems like forever away.  :seanr:

• Upvote 1