IGNORED

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Mr Do 71

36 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I think if you pause the game during a boss fight you get an option to "Abandon Challenge" or something like that.

I was worried that might just throw me back to the first phase of the fight, so didn’t dare try it. I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

15 hours ago, JPL said:

Is there any way to back out of a boss fight in this? I’ve got to Mora massively underpowered, to the point where my hits aren’t taking off any notable damage. I’ve managed to get her to the third stage of the fight, but it’s sapping my will to live. I’d love to be able to skip it for now, so I can go and do some combat shrines.

I was exactly the same as it was the first place I went once the game opened up. It's still possible and not even especially hard since you have lots of windows to heal but it's long, tedious and not very enjoyable.

Basically you have to almost completely rely on firing her projectiles back at her as your source of damage.

Gameplay spoiler question:

Spoiler

It's now possible for me to have infinite flying, through endless attack combos. Is this a but or intended. Seems completely broken to me and makes a lot of the mobility upgrades completely unnecessary.

Edit: seems to be a bug, not intended.

I think there's a few moves in the game either intentionally designed or just left in for sequence breaking. The hammer gives you a little boost upwards for example, which can get you to some upgrades before you'd otherwise be able to.

PC owners... I've managed to get HDR working using the Special-K utility.

For the Steam version you can follow instructions here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1057090/discussions/0/1750151027898184371/?ctp=3#c2149847049315319669

For the Windows 10 version you can follow instructions here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1057090/discussions/0/1750151027898184371/?ctp=4#c2149847049318532759

I held off for a while as I assumed this was just applying a fake HDR algorithm... but apparently not.  I think it actually taps into the suppressed HDR implementation that was baked into the game anyway; pending the issues that the devs were trying to resolve with it.

Obviously use at your own risk, but it looks wonderful to my eyes.

I'm not sure if the game was patched and I didn't realise but I've just finished this and didn't have any real stutter/pauses in the final third. Co-incidence or not, my enjoyment went up significantly in the final third too. Once I unlocked a few more weapon choices and got in to a groove with them, the enemies caused fewer problems and the game became more about the movement, which is more to my liking. That's not to say the game doesn't have its flaws, the biggest of which is too many weapon choices and some of them are just useless compared to others in some of the later fights. I took about 20 minutes trying to do the very last battle section before changing my weapon choice and beat it in seconds. Too many examples like that for my liking. I didn't find the escape sequences too bad, after seeing others really struggle with them.

I’ve had a similar run. I was struggling up to fighting Mora, but I left that fight and went to do a load of combat shrines and pick up as much currency as I could to upgrade all my powers and weapons. I then went back and did Mora with no problems and the increased power has made it a much better game, to the point where I’ve done a compete 180° on it and now think it’s up there with the original.

Like you say, it’s not without its problems. The new upgrade system can leave you badly underpowered if you haven’t got the right stuff activated and some of the new mechanics are really fiddly and take away from the purity of the original.

I’m just off to the worm boss now, which I’ve heard can be a bit of a pain. I can imagine it will be, as the burrow ability can be a pain in the arse in right spaces.

So yeah, it’s a step up in some areas, but a step backwards in others. I’m really enjoying it now though and that’s all that matters.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I’ve had a similar run. I was struggling up to fighting Mora, but I left that fight and went to do a load of combat shrines and pick up as much currency as I could to upgrade all my powers and weapons. I then went back and did Mora with no problems and the increased power has made it a much better game, to the point where I’ve done a compete 180° on it and now think it’s up there with the original.

Like you say, it’s not without its problems. The new upgrade system can leave you badly underpowered if you haven’t got the right stuff activated and some of the new mechanics are really fiddly and take away from the purity of the original.

I’m just off to the worm boss now, which I’ve heard can be a bit of a pain. I can imagine it will be, as the burrow ability can be a pain in the arse in right spaces.

So yeah, it’s a step up in some areas, but a step backwards in others. I’m really enjoying it now though and that’s all that matters.

Honestly, the worm boss I found fine, took me about 3 or 4 attempts, but I had seen it done successfully before.

1 hour ago, choddo said:

Is this as good as the ads suggest? And if so, any notable differences between the PC or xbox ?

It's a good game, well worth playing. Early on, performance on a non-x xbox one, was very poor, but i didn't have any issues later on in the game, so possibly patched now. I'd probably have gone with PC if I knew before I started.

Yep, it was a technical mess at launch, but it’s been patched now, so you shouldn’t have a problem.

Not sure if you’ve played the original @choddo, but don’t approach this one in the same way. Make sure to build your powers up as quickly as you can and don’t skip any of the combat shrines or the speed run sections like I did, as it leaves you massively underpowered and the game becomes really unforgiving.

Other than that though, it’s absolutely brilliant and one of the best looking games I’ve ever played. Once you have your powers in place, the joy in throwing Ori around the environments never gets old.

20 hours ago, BeeJay said:

It's a good game, well worth playing. Early on, performance on a non-x xbox one, was very poor, but i didn't have any issues later on in the game, so possibly patched now. I'd probably have gone with PC if I knew before I started.

I've got an X anyway so I might go for the big OLED & better controller option :) Cheers!

edit: Yeah I think that was the right choice, lovely 4k HDR

I just completed Blind Forest so decided to start Will of the Wisps from the beginning again (I was only an hour into it before deciding I should play Blind Forest first). Huge change in performance, barely any slowdown compared to when it first launched. 

About 10 hours into this now, I’m enjoying it but I find a decent chunk just the wrong side of awkward.

I also find the fighting horrendous. I don’t have a clue what’s going on when there’s multiple enemies as there’s far too much happening onscreen, just turns into a mash and hope fest.

I do enjoy the character movement though, it all flows very well and can be very satisfying. It looks and sounds gorgeous too.

Finished this yesterday, played about with it a couple of days after launch, then forgot about it as was really busy with work.

After coming back, I was shit at it, I'd forgotten how to use half of the skills and where I had to go, I persevered and readjusted, got the hang of ori's move set and ploughed through, I enjoyed it, but not as much as the original, there were some really frustrating parts of the game, as mentioned up thread, I probably should have got all of the speed run challenges ( I did none ) and the combat shirines ( did all of those ).

All in all, a decent game, but think I prefered the Blind Forest.

Nearly finished this, agree with most of what's been said previously. Really enjoyed it but the level design really lets it down, it would be much better if it had open levels geared towards acrobatic platforming. I don't really play many games these days, are there any other platformers of a similar quality/feel to this available on xbox one? 

9 minutes ago, Eric86 said:

Nearly finished this, agree with most of what's been said previously. Really enjoyed it but the level design really lets it down, it would be much better if it had open levels geared towards acrobatic platforming. I don't really play many games these days, are there any other platformers of a similar quality/feel to this available on xbox one? 

The first one is better. Give that a go, if you haven’t already.

6 hours ago, Eric86 said:

Hollow Knight.

1 hour ago, Horribleman said:

Hollow Knight.

Thanks will give it a go. 

8 hours ago, JPL said:

The first one is better. Give that a go, if you haven’t already.

Yes I finished the first one years ago, I'll have to go back and play through it again. 

• 2 months later...

EeGIkr-XgAAYqbN?format=jpg&name=large

https://www.privatedivision.com/2020/07/29/private-division-teams-up-with-moon-studios-league-of-geeks-and-roll7-on-upcoming-new-games/

Private Division, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc., today announced that they have signed three new publishing agreements with top independent developers Moon Studios, League of Geeks, and Roll7. These partnerships will expand Private Division’s portfolio of titles that includes the Kerbal Space Program franchise, The Outer Worlds, Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey, and Disintegration. Private Division empowers and supports the industry’s leading creative talent in bringing their visions to life and land to consumers around the world.

“Our partnerships with Moon Studios, League of Geeks, and Roll7 continue to enhance Private Division’s roster with more of the game industry’s best creative talent from around the world,” said Michael Worosz, executive vice president and head of Private Division. “We are thrilled to work alongside these experienced developers to provide them with the support needed to propel their creative visions to the next level.”

Moon Studios, founded in 2010 by Thomas Mahler and Gennadiy Korol, is a BAFTA award-winning studio best known for their work developing the critically acclaimed Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisps. As a distributed development house, their team is spread throughout the world and is comprised of industry-leading talent from across the globe. In partnership with Private Division, Moon Studios is creating a compelling new action RPG.

“Developing the Ori series over the last decade has been a fantastic experience for our team, and we’re thrilled to now be aiming our sights even higher with a new action RPG,” said Thomas Mahler and Gennadiy Korol, co-founders of Moon Studios. “We attribute our success to the ‘iterative polish’ process we use at Moon Studios, and we’re continuing that style of development to create a new game that rises above anything we’ve created thus far.”

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! I'm stuck really early on. 

I've just got the 

Spoiler

Wall walking and double jump

And I can't find where to go. There's two breakable bridges but I don't think I can break them yet. There's a wall where the map says is not a wall near a tree and a route up that I don't have the mobility to get to. 

:(

35 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Hello! I'm stuck really early on. 

I've just got the 

Reveal hidden contents

Wall walking and double jump

And I can't find where to go. There's two breakable bridges but I don't think I can break them yet. There's a wall where the map says is not a wall near a tree and a route up that I don't have the mobility to get to. 

:(

NM! Default HDR is way too dark. Found the way!

Well, I'd love to pick up this game, but unless they've seriously improved the performance on PC, I'll be taking a pass. I only just got around to buying the original and the amount of stuttering going on has completely and utterly ruined the experience for me - which is a shame because it's clearly a gorgeous piece of work :( 

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Well, I'd love to pick up this game, but unless they've seriously improved the performance on PC, I'll be taking a pass. I only just got around to buying the original and the amount of stuttering going on has completely and utterly ruined the experience for me - which is a shame because it's clearly a gorgeous piece of work :( 

Played through it on Gamepass couple of weeks back and didn't notice any major issues - although having been a low spec gamer for a long while I may have more tolerance than most.