Jump to content
rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Recommended Posts

So hard resets seem and not resuming seem to have sorted the issues out so far and I'm now loving it! I don't remember wondering around down paths that you can only get half way through without a specific ability in the first game, I've spent ages going around the map without knowing where i can and can't go which has sometimes gotten frustrating. When I'm in a section i can have a proper go at it feels as great as the original 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried to boot this up twice this morning and it gets to the loading a screen with Ori running, then shuts down my Xbox.

 

I’ve gone outside to jet wash my yard instead.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and Mrs TommyG are loving this! Having never played the first I'll undoubtably play that afterwards but this one is brilliant. Love the controls, the music, the graphics just a really good fun game.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is good, much better once you've unlocked most of the traversal abilities and you're zipping around like crazy, but I feel like it's missing something. It's quite easy, I'm playing on the default difficulty and steamrolling through it. There's almost no punishment for death so no real tension. And boy oh boy do they borrow practically every new mechanic (and lots of the environments) from Hollow Knight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, obviously everyone borrows from everyone else to some extent but the amount and the obviousness of the inspiration from Hollow Knight does feel a little much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

Yeah, obviously everyone borrows from everyone else to some extent but the amount and the obviousness of the inspiration from Hollow Knight does feel a little much.

 

I'm also not sure the fluid movement and the art style lend themselves to precise Hollow Knight-style combat. I frequently have no fucking idea where I am in a fight because of all the shiny stuff happening on screen.  I'm enjoying the game, but I can only play it in 30 minute bursts or I get frustrated with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha, that's weird. I finished it in 3 sessions. Just clocked it with 95% completion - I felt like I was overpowered for most of it because I was exploring a lot and always a bit ahead of the curve.

 

Most of the really hard bosses I've seen some whinging about are a case of learning when you can heal and then doing that. Overall I liked it, I'm not sure I loved it, it felt like more Ori but less focused and delivered with less finesse. But as a gamepass game it's absolutely perfect!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I got stuck halfway through the first one.  Lost essentially with no idea where to go next.   Is this one better than the first? Just wondering If I should go back and complete the first or start this one as a fresh challenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Moz said:

Ha, that's weird. I finished it in 3 sessions. Just clocked it with 95% completion - I felt like I was overpowered for most of it because I was exploring a lot and always a bit ahead of the curve.

 

Most of the really hard bosses I've seen some whinging about are a case of learning when you can heal and then doing that. Overall I liked it, I'm not sure I loved it, it felt like more Ori but less focused and delivered with less finesse. But as a gamepass game it's absolutely perfect!

 

It's not even the bosses, it's anywhere where it chucks out more than 4 or 5 enemies at you. Doesn't seem to have the visual clarity to play it like I played Hollow Knight and I just end up getting frustrated. Might be because I'm on a PC monitor, or it might be my eyesight going in my old age!  Still enjoying it in the 30 minute bursts though, the platforming feels just as wonderful as the first game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve played about 7 hours of this now and am enjoying it still. Not sure it’s a game I’d ever revisit, but it’s an experience I’m enjoying for now. Had 2 crashes though where I’ve have to force close the game, can’t recall the last time anything like that has happened..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PK said:

 

It's not even the bosses, it's anywhere where it chucks out more than 4 or 5 enemies at you. Doesn't seem to have the visual clarity to play it like I played Hollow Knight and I just end up getting frustrated. Might be because I'm on a PC monitor, or it might be my eyesight going in my old age!  Still enjoying it in the 30 minute bursts though, the platforming feels just as wonderful as the first game.

 

You're not wrong, it also has a weird habit of throwing multiple enemies you've never met before at you at once. Surely the right way to do it is introduce them individually and then start combining them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/03/2020 at 05:24, fragglerock said:

Fuck that worm.

That’s exactly what I came on to post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the part I've taken a break on. I assume that it's so near the end of the game that I might leave it a bit.

 

Does the section have any checkpoints? When it's like... multiple minutes of perfect platforming, it becomes both daunting and irritating at times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No checkpoints. As soon as I posted about it, I did it next go. Taking a break worked for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could've done with one (I don't think I died more than twice on any of the other escapes but that definitely took over ten attempts) even though in reality it's only about a minute long. I can totally see how it might feel longer though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried... I don't know 40 times? cannot do it. shame cos the game and story were great up till this barrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checking it out on Youtube, it's just over 3 minutes long. Long old time to not make any fuckups. 

 

That said, I might give it another go today...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found putting a podcast on, helped distract me a bit and relaxed me to the point i wasn’t tensing you towards the end! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mouldwood Depths then. What a completely shit area. Leaps of faith, that more often than not end in death. Super hard enemies in confined areas. It's really putting me off the game and I absolutely loved the original.

 

I actually looked up someone playing this area last night on YouTube and they had some super fast arrows, that took care of the enemies easily. I don't seem to have that yet, so where do I get it?

 

I think this is a major problem with them changing from a linear progression system to a totally freeform one now. If you don't have the right powers activated, or even bought, then you're going to really struggle, whereas if you've got the right powers activated it becomes easy. They should have given you a gentle nudge to show which powers would work best at the start of each new area.

 

It's not a patch on the original's laser focused simplicity for me. It's lost so much in the expansion to this new system. I'm pretty gutted. :(

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, JPL said:

I actually looked up someone playing this area last night on YouTube and they had some super fast arrows, that took care of the enemies easily. I don't seem to have that yet, so where do I get it?



There's a guy to the right of the fast travel point in the hub town selling upgrades. Sounds like you want the Spear. Once I had that and the heavy hammer attack, killing enemies was a lot less frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, schmojo said:

Just checking it out on Youtube, it's just over 3 minutes long. Long old time to not make any fuckups. 

 

That said, I might give it another go today...

 

?

 

 

There are a couple of three minute videos of people doing it in the top results but they keep pausing it and giving commentary/tips. The ones where they're just playing it straight through it's like 80 seconds checkpoint to checkpoint, there's not really any scope to go much slower either.

 

It's a poor difficulty spike to be sure though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 14:06, fragglerock said:

I have tried... I don't know 40 times? cannot do it. shame cos the game and story were great up till this barrier.

 

 I had more difficulty with that bit than any other part of the game, but still found it easier than the original's toughest parts. The big problem (at least for me) is that the boost/burrow ability feels a bit woolly and imprecise in a pursuit that gives you much less margin for error than the other chase sequences. It's also one of very few areas I experienced any technical issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished it today, though the achievement for doing so didn't pop. The worm boss is definitely the worst part, mainly due to the burrow being a pain in the arse to use properly as Rudderless said above. The final area and boss is also tricky but you can get away with so much more when there is some imprecision as long as you have a nice health buffer. Though the final boss has also one of the worse bits of confusion:

 

Spoiler

Namely the very end of the Shriek fight when all the platforms disappear. First few times I though a chase sequence was starting up again as that was the norm up to that point, especially with the one tunnel looking part it makes. 

 

Overall I enjoyed most of my time with it but it is definitely felt like a step down from the first game, though it has been a while since I played it. There are some really odd design decisions, when you get the chance to move freely in feels great but then every challenging bit they throw in narrow restricted sections that throw that to the wind. For example the way to make burrowing trickier is just to add in extra windy paths to bump off of, which isn't that much fun. Also the story is all over the place (End game spoilers):

 

Spoiler

How powerful are the Wisps supposed to be? One minute it is knocking Shriek down and going to kill them, the next they can't do anything when they get grabbed by talons. It also does seem a bit odd that you have to fight everything in the last section when you have a damn god orb with you. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/03/2020 at 10:35, JPL said:

Mouldwood Depths then. What a completely shit area. Leaps of faith, that more often than not end in death. Super hard enemies in confined areas. It's really putting me off the game and I absolutely loved the original.

 

I actually looked up someone playing this area last night on YouTube and they had some super fast arrows, that took care of the enemies easily. I don't seem to have that yet, so where do I get it?

 

I think this is a major problem with them changing from a linear progression system to a totally freeform one now. If you don't have the right powers activated, or even bought, then you're going to really struggle, whereas if you've got the right powers activated it becomes easy. They should have given you a gentle nudge to show which powers would work best at the start of each new area.

 

It's not a patch on the original's laser focused simplicity for me. It's lost so much in the expansion to this new system. I'm pretty gutted. :(

Mouldwood Depths was sadistic and entirely joyless.

 

Then I played Luma Pools and loved it. A really nice balance of challenge and reward...

 

Until the end of level boss. I tried for the best part of an hour last night and made next to no progress. Looking at YouTube, it seems I need, or would strongly benefit from, a weapon that I don't have. So chalk up another player annoyed with the upgrade system.

 

This game really wants me to hate it. And, like a mug, I come back for more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one here with Fuck that damn Worm

 

Had to turn the Xbox off as it was seriousley pissing me off

 

Will try again later on / tomorrow

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lima Pool boss gave me trouble too, but after a night's sleep I took care of it in short order. :D

 

I was a little cool on this to start with, despite adoring the first game. So much so in fact that I took a bit of a break to play some other stuff before coming back. Once I did I blasted through the rest quite quickly though, and loved it. 

 

Overall I preferred the first game though. It felt mechanically tighter, aside from the combat, while this sometimes relied more on spectacle. The technical issues occasionally got in the way too, and hurt the otherwise fluid feel. The combat was much improved, but still felt a little imprecise. I think I was spoiled by Hollow Knight here.

 

Anyway, I wouldn't mind playing an Ori 3 in a few years. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any way to back out of a boss fight in this? I’ve got to Mora massively underpowered, to the point where my hits aren’t taking off any notable damage. I’ve managed to get her to the third stage of the fight, but it’s sapping my will to live. I’d love to be able to skip it for now, so I can go and do some combat shrines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The multi-second freezes are really pissing me off now. Maybe my perspective has been negetively skewed by this issue, but the reviews for this have been way, way over the top, for many of the reasons posted over the last couple of pages. It's an enjoyable game for big parts of it but it's never amazing and has plenty of downsides. The 'pick your own abilities' strategy just doesn't work out, in my opinion. I play a lot of these types of games now and this really isn't anything special, apart from the lovely atmosphere and art-style. The combat is way too busy and 'hit and hope' for my liking, which is why I have gone with the sentry ability as my main source of damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.