Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Just finished it and on the whole, I really enjoyed it. The last boss also had me tearing my hair out, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

A lot of what @Ketchup mentions is true. Particularly about the chase sections. They can be absolutely infuriating and don't strike the right balance of challenge to making you feel like you're doing something cool. It's just all challenge, and there is aggressive rubber banding for the things chasing you, which makes all the sections feel incredibly cheap. The fight arenas are crap and add absolutely nothing to the game. Fortunately, the vast majority of them are optional.

I don't think it ever reached the heady heights of the Wellspring again, sadly. Baur's Reach was good and the other areas had some good bits. The only one which I would say was mostly poor was Luma Pools.

As with the first game, I come away thinking that the Ori team are very skilled game devs who make some baffling design choices.

16 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

That lever should open the door right?

The secret lies with the colour of the glowing thing on the door....

Spoiler

...and how that might relate to the same coloured thingy you can see below the door...

Cheers. I was sure that lever was meant to operate the door but couldn't remember if I'd used it earlier. Remembering what I've done and where I've been is the problem I have with these types of games when I have a gap in between sessions.

I have to say, I played through the whole thing and didn't pick up on the frame rate drops, which is pretty odd for me.

I'm thinking about jumping back in and doing a few of the sidequests I didn't get around to.

Story wise:

Spoiler

I was quite sad to see Shriek never comes around. I thought the whole bloody point of it being an owl and you breaking it's skull-mask thing off is so it can relate to Ku. They even both were born with birth defects of some sort. But apparently not. It retreats to a barren land and it's dead parents to possibly die? Meanwhile Ori and chums have a grand old time.

I'm near the end now with what i presume is one last door to enter and over the course of this game my opinion has changed. It's a good game don't get me wrong but even at this point the original is better in every way. Theres far too much bloat in this game, way too many moves with only one area to really use them in, fetch quests where you just happen upon characters rather than knowing where to find them and the level design is not nearly as clever. The challenge rooms as above don't add anything to the gameplay and are just frustrating at first or dull after you are powered up.

In the original by the end you felt like Superman, you could fly through the levels using all the skills at your disposal and never touch the ground where as here the cramped level layouts mean you are often just running on the ground. I never feel like i can flow through the areas like the original as every area has it's move just for that area. It's almost like they went 'this is the snow area, only snow moves allowed here, this is the desert area, only desert moves allowed here' where as the original gave you a basic set of moves that worked throughout the whole game and then locked off areas even within those early areas with moves you gain later on.

Nothing has felt as inventive as like the end of the original where you were constantly zipping between enemies, lights and floating through the levels without touching the ground. The chase sequences in the original although having the same trial and error issues here felt more iconic and memorable thanks to their use of graphics, sound and layouts. The music doesn't even feel as memorable as the original or feel like it has the same impact despite so clearly referencing it.

Gone are the wide open spaces where you can see something above and wonder how you get to it as almost everything is in easy reach or has an easy way to get to it and due to the much prettier graphics you never feel a sense of urgency in trying to rescue the world. In fact you could go to the hub area and as Ori consider it a nice place to stay. Even the main big bad in this is relegated to one side of the map in terms of visuals and story.

For me its a bit of a let down as im having fun playing the game but its clearly a sequel where they didn't quite pull off the bigger and better approach and maybe all there best ideas were used in the first game?

Also having it hard turn off my xbox twice just booting into the game is something the game should never have shipped with and in the past that would have been an instant failure by any of the big three companies and refused certification.

Twice I've had the game fail to come back from standby, and corrupt my save, and the game has dropped to single figures several times on the one x. 

I'm persevering, mainly because I've been able to use a backup save to recover, but disappointed overall. 

And there are parts of the soundtrack in Luna Pools which sound like a direct rip from Wall-E. 

I just had a full on crash to dashboard playing this. I remember the original being incredibly slick, and it apparently runs well on the Switch too, so the bugs in this are a real shame.

I'm still enjoying it though, but I think I liked the original more by this stage.

Finally completed this and overall I’m left with a sour taste. The ending was not what I expected or hoped for and was a real downer for me without going into details. The original had the same problem where it’s trying to tell this emotional story but in the end you’re left with a ‘oh that’s how they’re gona choose how to end it’ feeling.

Regarding Ku.

Spoiler

Originally I thought the owl had been killed but you can see it’s actually breathing in some scenes and was just unconscious. That should have been made clearer, especially as the Moki say they’ll look after her but then the body disappears for a time.

The final level is very similar to that in the original ori but not nearly as good. The first half of the game is great as it opens up but once it does it becomes frustrating and they learn all the wrong lessons. The final chase sequence being filled with frustrations as they have aimed the difficulty of it at perfectionist speed runners and not just your average play through.

Ive said most of this in my other posts but what should have been bigger and better feels under baked and whilst a lot of it is more of the same it’s almost not as good as it was originally. The extra tools and weapons complicate the control scene a lot and going back to the original whilst every button is used it feels much better to play with practically the same moves.

Is it worth your time? Probably. Is it better than the original? No. Will it frustrate you more than the original? Yes. All in all it’s good but a huge disappointment.

12 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

Hide contents

Originally I thought the owl had been killed but you can see it’s actually breathing in some scenes and was just unconscious. That should have been made clearer, especially as the Moki say they’ll look after her but then the body disappears for a time.

Spoiler

Ku doesn't disappear. You can go there at any time, and he/she is still there, still breathing.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Hide contents

Ku doesn't disappear. You can go there at any time, and he/she is still there, still breathing.

Ah on my playthrough,

Spoiler

Ku was missing after the first cut scene of her being laid there. So i assumed was taken away to be buried somewhere only for her to reappear right at the end of the game in cutscenes. So chalk that to another bug then.

Just checking in here as a big fan of the original with a few hours under my belt on this.

It's great so far, with the following caveats: 

- It's been about 2 years or more since I played the original, and this doesn't feel different enough. Could easily be a replay that I'd forgotten.

- Your attacks are far too puny. The most piddling enemy takes about 7 hits to finish off, and it's just a time consuming, boring hassle. Just give us stronger attacks.

- There aren't enough 'shortcuts' once you've completed a tricky platforming section. A quick fall can see you doing the same sections over and over. 

I'm also just up to 

Kwolek as a boss, and I cannot believe that you've got to start from the beginning of phase one each time you die, even though you can't top your health back up once the water arrives.

EDIT: Ok, cracked that bit. And it made sense. And was rewarding. So disregard this beef.

On 15/03/2020 at 11:06, Ketchup said:

Also having it hard turn off my xbox twice just booting into the game is something the game should never have shipped with and in the past that would have been an instant failure by any of the big three companies and refused certification.

To be fair, I’ve seen certification failures for lesser issues than that, so it’s possible they just legit didn’t see that issue in Certification. 

Or they just let it slide due to it being a flagship title :p

I haven’t watched the Digital Foundry video, but the introduction area runs like shit on my Xbone X. Between the pier where the owl stands, and the nest, must be low 20s in the fps department. 
It’s a shame as it’s a stunningly beautiful game.

Just got to Luma Pools, had an issue where it basically slowed down to almost half speed and only a restart of the game would fix it. It's pretty amazing that it's been released in the state it is.

Anyway not only is it not great technically but, as others have pointed out it's a bit opaque at times with what you need to do. I've been to two places trying to get Wisps where I seem to be restricted from getting into the final area to get the Wisp (and I assume fight a boss). However (until I resorted to checking a youtube video to check I wasn't being stupid) I have no idea where I am supposed to get the ability that I need. I suppose I just have to go to the other two areas and hope that I get it in one of those. I know it shouldn't matter but going I feel that I have now wasted time going to those areas first as I will have to track through them again, although tbf I have opened the warp points.

1 minute ago, metallicfrodo said:

Just got to Luma Pools, had an issue where it basically slowed down to almost half speed and only a restart of the game would fix it. It's pretty amazing that it's been released in the state it is.

Anyway not only is it not great technically but, as others have pointed out it's a bit opaque at times with what you need to do. I've been to two places trying to get Wisps where I seem to be restricted from getting into the final area to get the Wisp (and I assume fight a boss). However (until I resorted to checking a youtube video to check I wasn't being stupid) I have no idea where I am supposed to get the ability that I need. I suppose I just have to go to the other two areas and hope that I get it in one of those.  

Generally, you find the power you need in the area you need it in. This is definitely true of Baur's Reach, Mouldwood Depths and Luma Pools. 

finished this the other day, generally really enjoyed it, but yeah it probably isn't as good as the first game, and some bits were pretty frustrating. i really like the escape sequences and timetrials though. and after not really liking the combat at the start i got into it and enjoyed fighting some enemies later on, and brute forced some bits with loads of health. like the first game i think the bash ability makes the game, bouncing around the place off enemies/projectiles is loads of fun when it all comes together - although i think this stuff is better in the first game, maybe because of less moves? had to use a guide a few times where i had to do stuff with things that i thought were part of the background - maybe a downside of everything looking so nice. playing on pc i got lucky and avoided most technical problems, it did crash twice in 20 hours but didn't really lose any progress.

This has just hard-crashed my brand new Xbox One X twice whilst trying to boot it. The game is in a shocking state, it shouldn't have been released like this. 

I'm certain it's the game based on other posts in here and that I've been playing Forza Horizon 4 and Modern Warfare on it with no issues at all.

I think I'm going to leave it until it's been patched a few more times.

It's terrible.

The graphics and music are a nice veneer over the top of a platformer that hasn't progressed since the NES. Sections that you can't complete without the right skills but let you in regardless, pixel perfect jumps, levels where you can't see far enough so you have to edge farther in one death at a time, bosses that give you no hints how to beat them, keys hidden away so the only way to progress is to bash against every wall...

Honestly, it's really fucking bad. The only saving grace is that it's free. 

I'd love to force some of you guys to play some actual NES games, No hand holding, zero hints, no mistakes. Games are just a total cakewalk these days.

If this is genuinely an example of a platformer that hasn't evolved from the 80's then they might as well had stop making platform games. Crazy people.

8 hours ago, Revival said:

I'd love to force some of you guys to play some actual NES games, No hand holding, zero hints, no mistakes. Games are just a total cakewalk these days.

No need. I played them on my NES when they were first released, and this game is decidedly reminiscent in many of its mechanics.

To be fair to Ori I guess, at least it doesn't have lives, and there are checkpoints.

I've abandoned this since Nioh 2 came out. Quite the disappointment as although I only though the first was good not great, I had high hopes for this.  I just have no interest in going back to it after Mouldwood Depths. It looks beautiful but the gameplay is pretty naff.

15 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Honestly, it's really fucking bad. The only saving grace is that it's free. 

I'm not treating it as that. I bought my Game Pass subscription on the basis of content like this being on it, rather than the back catalogue alone.

3 hours ago, El Spatula said:

The NES games didn't crash like fuck or have weird sound glitches and terrible frame rates. 

Eh yes they did, Sprite flicker all over the shop, Slowdown and weird glitches (TMNT anyone?), I could give you a long list of stuff I've crashed from Battletoads to Rad Racer.

In the same way I didn't enjoy Hollow Knight as much as everyone else, I suspect that people's opinion of this one is connected to a) how good they are - or aren't- at it, and b) their tolerance for retrying.

I'm on what I reckon is the last escape before the end game, and I'm taking a little break from it for a minute. There's some absolute magic in the mechanics in this game, and my previous criticisms were actually dealt with elegantly as I progressed, but I'm only trying any game sequence 10-15 times in succession before I got and do something else for a while.

I ended up liking this a lot more than the first. I mean, I still couldn't say it's worth the metacritic score it ended up with but I found the combat and environments to be far more engaging and varied and the escape sequences seemed substantially easier to me. It did peak for me in the first half though, and there are so few enemy types to fight that the improved combat system never really gets put to proper use. 

I've almost given up on this on One X - the slowdown is so bad that I just cannot enjoy what I loved about the first game...the flow of your expanding range of abilities allowing you to traverse the world seamlessly. I'll try a hard reset as shutting down and joining back into game hasn't helped at all. It's a shame as I adored the original.