rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

You have to wonder what the point of preloading is if you have to sit and watch the day one patch download when you want to play it. 

I think Xbox is the only current gen platform that doesn’t let you start a game while the patch downloads, isn’t it?

I'm a bit worried that I suck too much to play this on normal. I failed the first boss around 20 times and it didn't offer to change the difficultly down, and there seems to be no way to lower it manually. Don't want to have to start all over again later at the next hurdle.

Spoiler

Maybe not a boss, but the wolf. The chase is easy but even after watching videos I still couldn't work out where to dodge. It was a complete fluke and at least you only need to get it to half health.

Well, this game just shut down my console. Never had that happen before. Was loading it up and on the title screen the game hung and then the console switched itself off. There definitely seems to be some issues with the game. I'm playing on a One X as well, so it's not down to base console issues. 

Might put it on the back burner for a bit. Hopefully after a couple of patches things will have improved. 

25 minutes ago, pledge said:

I'm a bit worried that I suck too much to play this on normal. I failed the first boss around 20 times and it didn't offer to change the difficultly down, and there seems to be no way to lower it manually. Don't want to have to start all over again later at the next hurdle.

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe not a boss, but the wolf. The chase is easy but even after watching videos I still couldn't work out where to dodge. It was a complete fluke and at least you only need to get it to half health.

Hide far right, the wolf will jump attack - you should jump towards him just as he lands and hit twice. It’s easy once you figure it out but not exactly intuitive. 

That aside it’s lovely so far, the combat feels much improved and it looks sumptuous. It’s got a bit more of a Soulsborne influence this time, that wolf boss being a good example.

7 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

It’s got a bit more of a Soulsborne influence this time, that wolf boss being a good example.

Oh god that sounds worrying. Please tell me it doesn’t do the Hollow Knight thing of making you trudge slowly back to a boss from a save point every time you die. 

No, you have to repeat the chase sequence which is a bit dull but the checkpointing seems fine. Not that there’s anything wrong with letting some Souls into your life. 

• Upvote 2

I got some time with this last night and really liked it. It’s not particularly interested in holding your hand and after the very boring opening cinematics, gets going at quite a nice pace. I played for about 40 minutes and already have a double jump and cool weapon. 

There were a few hints of the puzzlingly unintuitive design decisions of the first game (the Howl boss fight), but so far, I’m liking a lot more than that. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pledge said:

Reveal hidden contents

As with most Metroidy type games they are always harder at the start with your crap abilities and no hearts.  Push through!

Just done the first 

Spoiler

escape sequence. 

I can see this going down well. 

3 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

very boring opening cinematics

That's a shame. The intro to the original is one of its best parts. 

31 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Don’t listen, the opening is great. Probably not quite as powerful as the original as that one set everything up and left you to it, where this one, so far at least, seems to be drip feeding the story as you play. It’s as beautifully done as the original though, so don’t worry.

• Upvote 3

This is great. The time/distance between save points is a bit weird, to the point that I stopped exploring and backtracked 3 or 4 times because I was sure I must have missed something to let me access the second one. But other than that it's just more Ori loveliness.

2 hours ago, Parappa said:

I think it’s probably just me. I didn’t have much patience for this stuff in the first game either. It’s all a bit “look at all the cute things being sad.”

If you liked that stuff in the first you’ll like it in this. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

7 hours ago, pledge said:

I'm a bit worried that I suck too much to play this on normal.

yeah i was thinking that too, had to retry two different combat bits loads. I seem to remember the first game was similarly difficult at the start then unlocking a certain move made the combat much better so hopefully it's the same here.

7 hours ago, Chooch said:

As with most Metroidy type games they are always harder at the start with your crap abilities and no hearts.  Push through!

I did the next boss first time. I think just that early part was not intuitive. 

This shut down my Xbox too when I first loaded it up. Seemed OK second time round but it’s obviously not good and I’m wary of it causing issues. Going to wait for a patch or two before I play this. 

This is buggy as fuck! Playing on the One X and I've had single digit framerates, freezes and my personal favourite,  starting the game to find the menu overlay completely missing.

It definitely has issues. I went back to it earlier and had numerous freezes when the game loads up areas. It's really disappointing after how polished the first game was. 

I'm about 40% through and I'm enjoying it more than the first. The combat - while better than the first - still seems lacking somehow. Hopefully it opens up a bit later. 

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

This shut down my Xbox too when I first loaded it up. Seemed OK second time round but it’s obviously not good and I’m wary of it causing issues. Going to wait for a patch or two before I play this. 

Exactly the same thing just happened to me- not a good start. After the delay I was expecting it to be in slightly better shape.

EDIT: worked the second time after taking ages to load. Hope you don’t like options, because clicking on that on the starting menu does absolutely nothing! lol

You fight Howl and he runs off to the left but you then find his tooth way off to the right. 

This is the sort of game design that I just find puzzling. 

• Upvote 1

Couple of quick questions:

1. Is there an easy mode from the off?

2. How is the wayfinding/signposting as you get further into it? Getting hopelessly lost with no indication of where to go or what to do next is why I binned off Hollow Knight.

2 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Couple of quick questions:

1. Is there an easy mode from the off?

2. How is the wayfinding/signposting as you get further into it? Getting hopelessly lost with no indication of where to go or what to do next is why I binned off Hollow Knight.

Yeah, there's an easy mode and there's a giant glowing waypoint telling you where to go, but most of the map is blanked out until you explore it.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

You fight Howl and he runs off to the left but you then find his tooth way off to the right. 

They put it in an area that you couldn’t reach without your recently acquired ability. It’s a bit of creative license, but nothing to worry about.

You seem really down on the game. Pretty much all your posts so far have been negative.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

They put it in an area that you couldn’t reach without your recently acquired ability. It’s a bit of creative license, but nothing to worry about.

You seem really down on the game. Pretty much all your posts so far have been negative.

I'm enjoying it so far, I just really didn't like the first game very much and it was this kind of stuff I didn't like. It just seems bizarre, and I don't think it's good game design.

Having just put 20 hours and very much enjoyed Bloodstained I was ready for my next metroidvania fix but unfortunatly this won't be the game that provides it. 

Right from the overly sentimental (and overly long intro) I was put off and when I finally got into the game I am finding imprecise controls and no real definition of what is harmful in the environment. I wanted to like this but it's really not for me at all. 

48 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

What's puzzling about it? Metroidvanias are about exploration and using your abilities to traverse the entirety of the map.

If everything was just hand holdy and linear forcing your where to go it'd be uninteresting.

3 minutes ago, Revival said:

What's puzzling about it? Metroidvanias are about exploration and using your abilities to traverse the entirety of the map.

If everything was just hand holdy and linear forcing your where to go it'd be incredibly uninteresting.

Because I went to look for the item where it makes sense for it to be. The map wasn't fully revealed at that point so I assumed that going right would take me down another path, away from what I was looking for.