rllmuk
mdn2

My Friend Pedro - All Aboard The Hype Train - 20th June

3 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

What an odd viewpoint. You can not buy it before the reviews come out.

Indeed! 

As an aside, do reviews for other consumer goods tend to come out before their release? Eg. Books, Cars, washing machines, trainers? 

Or is it just a games thing? 

42 minutes ago, robdood said:

Indeed! 

As an aside, do reviews for other consumer goods tend to come out before their release? Eg. Books, Cars, washing machines, trainers? 

Or is it just a games thing? 

Movies tend to be before the release date unless they film is awful. Ditto books. They'll usually be reviews of phones after the public announcement but before they go on general sale. Supermarkets will hold press events to publicise Christmas stock, new wines etc. all before they go on general release. 

I'd argue it is pretty rare to provide the press with pre-access to a product but then embargo the reviews until after the products have been released to the general public and is not a consumer friendly practice we should encourage. If they don't want to provide pre access to the press that's one thing, providing pre-access on the condition that you don't publish a review until after the product is for sale is quite different. 

51 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

And I will wait. I just think it's a bit pathetic in general for reviews to be embargoed until after the release of your product. If you have faith that you've done a good job then you should welcome reviews not try and hide them away. 

I’m not gonna worry about reviews, it looks cool and it’s been really well pushed so fuck it - I own Last of Us twice because the reviews tell me it’s great but it’s the worst have ever!

Can I buy it on Switch at midnight? 

• Empathy 1

31 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I’m not gonna worry about reviews, it looks cool and it’s been really well pushed so fuck it - I own Last of Us twice because the reviews tell me it’s great but it’s the worst have ever!

Can I buy it on Switch at midnight? 

Don’t wait until midnight because the 15% off is meant to expire on the 20th although I don’t know if that means directly at midnight or not

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

Don’t wait until midnight because the 15% off is meant to expire on the 20th although I don’t know if that means directly at midnight or not

Bloody good point, pre ordered :) 

Hopefully I can play at midnight

5 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

You can if the time zones match. Game at 2pm, reviews at 3pm.

The early vids had me interested, but it's definitely one I want to read some opinions of before buying.

I wasn't sure about how it would control or whether those perfect runs shown in the vids would actually be really fiddly to pull off. It didn't fill me with confidence either that the character seemed to get hit sometimes but not react at all, which I assume won't be how it plays in the final version, suggesting it might never be as easy as it looks.

Definitely got my eye on it though, and hope my reservations turn out to be misplaced.

18 hours ago, McCoy said:

Pathetic. They will allow people to pay and download the software before they are allowing reviewers to say whether it is any good or not. 

"pathetic"

Sorry, need to roll my eyes.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, McCoy said:

And I will wait. I just think it's a bit pathetic in general for reviews to be embargoed until after the release of your product. If you have faith that you've done a good job then you should welcome reviews not try and hide them away. 

Why?  Reviews are becoming less and less relevant.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, replicant said:

"pathetic"

Sorry, need to roll my eyes.

Explain why it is good for consumers to have reviews artificially held back.  I get why companies want to do it (keep negative reviews away for as long as possible, synchronise with marketing, maximise profits etc.) but why should we, as consumers, be encouraging the practice? 

• Upvote 1

A huge reason reviews are held back to the release date is to get people to impulse buy. In a lot of cases it's got nothing to do with companies being afraid of bad reviews as can be showcased by the myriad of games with release day embargoes that get 8s,9s and 10s.

They want as much hype as possible for release day. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, McCoy said:

Explain why it is good for consumers to have reviews artificially held back.  I get why companies want to do it but why should we, as consumers, be encouraging the practice? 

It has little impact on consumers as there is no requirement to purchase a game on launch day.  A consumer can choose to use their own initiative, knowledge and experience to form their purchasing decision, which in my opinion is far more valuable than relying on what a freelancer thinks.  

There are also many other avenues open to help get more information and a feel of a game.  Take Pedro, plenty of gameplay videos out there showing the mechanics. 

I also prefer reviews being "held" back by an embargo.  Much more preferable than the olds days when [insert outlet] got an exclusive headstart review for clicks- talk about biased coverage.  Everyone's thoughts/coverage hits at once.

1 minute ago, Zael said:

A huge reason reviews are held back to the release date is to get people to impulse buy. In a lot of cases it's got nothing to do with companies being afraid of bad reviews as can be showcased by the myriad of games with release day embargoes that get 8s,9s and 10s.

They want as much hype as possible for release day. 

Very true. Games media is also changing with publishers/developers beginning to get much more mileage out of streaming, influencers and talking to their potential customers directly - rather than via traditional outlets and reviews.  Dr Disrespect streaming Apex has a bigger impact than a Gamespot 10/10.

7/10 from Nintendolife

Conclusion:

My Friend Pedro, for the most part, delivers on its promise to provide you with an almost endless variety of ways with which to carry out the flashy brand of OTT violence that’s had gamers eagerly awaiting its release. The controls can be cantankerous at times and the levels are far from being an eclectic mix, but it adds enough diversions to the action with light puzzling and platforming elements to keep things interesting enough to see through to the end. Also, your best friend is a banana.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/my_friend_pedro

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-20-my-friend-pedro-review-slick-2d-shooting-that-slips-over-itself

In the end, My Friend Pedro's two halves of the banana reveal the perilous balancing act of game design. The first half is a stellar example of how to build an action game, of how to engender a sense of creativity through the player's toolset, and how to bake seamless flow into complex and challenging environments. The second half isn't quite the opposite of that, but it tries much too hard to be clever, with humour that's less goofy and more edgy, and level design that's too exacting in its structure.

1 minute ago, Uncle Mike said:

There's a great throwaway one-liner in the Eurogamer review that's going to generate a lot of fake outrage and wailing.

Frothing rage?

Well this is great fun, controls defi take some getting used too and I’m thinking of switching jump to R on the Switch pro pad - this is gonna be a high score attack addiction!

embargo/10

14 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

Needs leaderboards for sure

Yup, just spent a while looking for them as it tells you the best score end of the level but no leaderboards :o 

6 hours ago, womblingfree said:

The trailer makes me want to play Viewtiful Joe.

I miss VJ.

It was my fave game on the GameCube by a country mile.

Can you play it on Switch at all? I can’t recall it ever being available since original release.