rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

I watched the trailer and I am immensely fucking pumped.

I spent 70 glorious hours 100%ing Doom 2016 on Nightmare and I will be first one on the bus back to hell.

• Upvote 3

To add, here's Giantbomb's preview. Most shocking aspect is Brad playing on Ultra Violence...

• Upvote 1

On 15/01/2020 at 08:39, Mr. Gerbik said:

Just to emphasize: there's no reason whatsoever to neg this.

Using 'butthurt' or whining about negs would be more than enough reasons to neg that ridiculous post. Using both in one post though..

• Downvote 4

It's sounding absolutely fucking incredible. Dare I say they've lifted even more elements of Metroid Prime for this, looking at that above clip? I've been replaying DOOM a little in between work tasks and the double-jump feels exactly like MP.

I was going to wait for it to hit the sales but I don't think am gonnae be able tae contain masell.

• Upvote 1

Amazingly many of the comments in that DF video are based on Switch port anticipation. They're all excited to see what's going to be done. I've yet to play DOOM on the Switch.

Yeah I’d like to see it on Switch too as that’s the version I’d prefer, I think it’s time to break their silence on the subject. Looks insanely good btw.

He has a lot of positives to say, but a handful of criticisms. Overall he thinks it'll be ripped off by all and sundry for some innovative ideas, but he's a bit lukewarm on some of the level design, especially the platforming mechanics, and that you'll need to play on the highest difficulty settings to get the most out of the kill system. 

It does look like insane fun mind, from pretty much any angle. 

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

Using 'butthurt' or whining about negs would be more than enough reasons to neg that ridiculous post. Using both in one post though..

Dumb negs,  on someone else's post. I can't help if you got butthurt by my pointing out how silly it was to neg someone else (Moosegrinder, in this case) for merely mentioning that - gasp - Bethesda games historically fall in price quickly. That's the real whining, in the shape of a red X.

On topic, new Gameplay looking great. But then, that's to be expected.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

To be clear, I don't think this will detrimentally impact the experience of playing the game at all (and is more of a marketing aspect), but: I'm getting a bit tired of how they're so focused on the Doom Guy being this unkillable god. It's like we've forgotten that the original game was supposed to be tense and scary. The player character was supposed to be you. Every enemy type beyond grunts was an active threat if you didn't keep moving and managing space. In Doom 2016 a large proportion of the enemy types are fodder. The glory kills in Eternal look like they're shading even more into silly 'Mortal Kombat' cartoon violence, and the environment is filling up with dayglo lights.

Also, we're just accepting there's no mod support now? With Doom 2016 they made excuses about not having time, and snapmap being 'good enough'. They've had four years this time.

I'm happy to have new Doom games as top quality play-and-forget blockbuster theme park rides, but it still feels like a retreat in ambition and scope, in a way.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

Also, we're just accepting there's no mod support now? With Doom 2016 they made excuses about not having time, and snapmap being 'good enough'. They've had four years this time.

Is there not? The whole hub and slipgate aspect looks like it'd be ripe for extending with different content, and apparently the narrative conceit is about making all the WADs canon. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Is there not? The whole hub and slipgate aspect looks like it'd be ripe for extending with different content, and apparently the narrative conceit is about making all the WADs canon. 

Really? Seems like they'd be making more noise about it.

13 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’ll say again, for the umpteenth time, I miss the corpses staying putting and filling up the screen. 

That’s going to put a strain on the game.  Forget about 60fps on consoles especially Switch if they leave corpses onscreen.  I do hope a mod on PC allows for this.

The one thing that struck me while watching some of the preview footage is it doesn't really 'feel' like Doom anymore.

That started with 2016, which was a fucking astonishingly good game, but it was really a move away from Doom's atmospheric roots. And this is that next step away again, going full on into 'it's a videogame ass videogame!' with dayglo lights and pure arcade style pickups etc etc. There's something about it that feels... Slight? Fleeting? I can't quite out my finger on it.

It'd be great to have a new 'Doom ass Doom!'. With the dark, ominous atmosphere and whatnot. But that's easier said than done, I guess.

And obviously this'll be great. Maybe not quite as well received as 2016 is my guess, but still great.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Doom 2016's mechanics don't lend themselves at all to a horror game, or developing tension for the player, in my view. It asks you to engage with its system and get knuckle deep in the action to keep your ammo and health high enough to survive. Attempts to play it conservatively often result in swift death.

Compare that to the original game, where (and especially on PlayStation with the expanded lighting effects and excellent soundtrack) the game really embraced the foreboding atmosphere, and the mechanics generally favoured avoiding the heat of the battle. Going further down that route with modern expectations leads to Doom 3.

• Upvote 1

DOOM 2016 is basically current-gen Brutal DOOM in many aspects. Certainly the kill-frenzy game play and executions.

No bad thing at all, but a massive departure from the way traditional DOOM plays.

15 hours ago, Fallows said:

DOOM 2016 is basically current-gen Brutal DOOM in many aspects. Certainly the kill-frenzy game play and executions.

No bad thing at all, but a massive departure from the way traditional DOOM plays.

Hmm not sure I agree. I used to play doom in a similar way I played 2016 Doom. Run in and run around like a loon until everything was dead.  

Original Doom had jump scares but in my mind it wasn't a horror. It's Doom 3 that sticks out in the franchise, which is the only one that did chase the atmospheric vibe. 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Hmm not sure I agree. I used to play doom in a similar way I played 2016 Doom. Run in and run around like a loon until everything was dead.  

Original Doom had jump scares but in my mind it wasn't a horror. It's Doom 3 that sticks out in the franchise, which is the only one that did chase the atmospheric vibe. 

The thing that’s missing, apart from the bodies piling up, is being chased around levels, sometimes by a single foe, that used to really gaggle me ghoulies. The new one tends to fence areas off. 

2016 Doom was ace, though it did feel a bit like a Resident Evil 4 moment for the series. I certainly don’t mind another game in that vein, but hopefully in the future they can re-discover the balance between action and creepiness. RE2 Remake showed that it’s quite possible. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Agree.  Although atmosphere wise Doom 1 &2 seemed like they were made by the devil himself with all the satanic overtones. Doom 2016 it seemed more ‘colourful’.  Still loved it and wouldn’t change it and massively looking forward to this one.

I don't really buy this "Doom was a horror game" thing, someone said the PS1 game made it more explicit, but you listen to the PS1 soundtrack (which had access to a lot more audio capabilities) and it's just pure cheesy guitars, nothing that says "horror adjacent" let alone that being the intent.

I think people were just young and found it a bit bewildering and high pressure, but that's more about them than "the vision". Even the reaction to Doom 3 was "it's not really like the originals is it? They were all about sprinting around at 100mph in a football stadium sized environment blasting dozens of demons"

5 minutes ago, simms said:

Agree.  Although atmosphere wise Doom 1 &2 seemed like they were made by the devil himself with all the satanic overtones. Doom 2016 it seemed more ‘colourful’.  Still loved it and wouldn’t change it and massively looking forward to this one.

This is completely backwards. Doom 2016 went for more muted colours than the past games, and Doom Eternal has literally brought back the more colourful original colourschemes.

That's a small part of the audio, the level complete screens or something? The overall audio is way more creepy and I can definitely see why some feel a horror vibe increase over the PC game. I played through the PS1 game about a year after rinsing 1&2 over on PC and felt a definite uptake in the horror atmosphere from the port, mainly due to audio and perhaps lighting. I was well into my 20's at the time it arrived on PS1 and was an 80's horror film veteran by that point but Doom PS1 certainly made me a little uneasy playing in a dark room late at night, headphones on. Loved it.

Doom on PS1 was pretty creepy if you ask me.