Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

RubberJohnny

On 20/03/2021 at 16:35, JoeK said:

I would like to point out at this stage that I've finally worked out some settings on Doom that I'm finally able to avoid being sick.  I'd also like to point out that whilst playing the game (and about 3/4s through), the game has crashed and has rendered the save file corrupt. I'd forgotten that my cloud save settings were switched off.

God is clearly mocking me.

As someone who also got highly nauseous playing Doom 2016, how does this compare puke-wise? 

I tried numerous times with various FOV settings but every time, I would end up flat on my back writhing around, reaching for a bucket. The gameplay I've seen of this looks like it has the same kind of motion and looks just as slick and roller-skatey.

58 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

As someone who also got highly nauseous playing Doom 2016, how does this compare puke-wise? 

I tried numerous times with various FOV settings but every time, I would end up flat on my back writhing around, reaching for a bucket. The gameplay I've seen of this looks like it has the same kind of motion and looks just as slick and roller-skatey.

Probably the same - if not more so in terms of motion really. 

I capped the frame rate at 60hz for this one though and changed to playing with a controller - which certainly helped me play it okay. The speed of using a mouse always now leaves me thoroughly ill!

• 2 months later...

Doom Eternal getting Raytracing and DLSS.  To be honest the raytracing seems subtle so I struggled to see the difference but glad its been offered with DLSS to improve the overall visual design.

24 minutes ago, layten said:

WTF? Do they know you are not supposed to get somebody good at the game to do these video's.

I was thinking the same.  I felt like I had to have a lie down after watching

It just looked like it was being played on easy mode to me?  Though some of those shots were so entirely bang on, that I cannot dispute that was a skillful player. 

If that was ultraviolence (which is what I'm familiar with) then I will have no choice but to doff my cap. 

51 minutes ago, simms said:

Doom Eternal getting Raytracing and DLSS.  To be honest the raytracing seems subtle so I struggled to see the difference but glad its been offered with DLSS to improve the overall visual design.

I thought it was subtle, then they moved into areas where it’s clear it’s ray traced reflection madness: rockets and laser beams in a hall of mirrors etc.

Yeah the floors and especially the metal and glass hallways look amazing reflecting everything - looks way flatter and baked in with it off.

ID are wizards - they game is hitting 90FPS 4K with RT on and DLSS off (3080ti). 

1 hour ago, footle said:

I thought it was subtle, then they moved into areas where it’s clear it’s ray traced reflection madness: rockets and laser beams in a hall of mirrors etc.

it quite busy and fast moving it’s easy for these old eyes to miss.  I’ll have to re-watch

• 2 weeks later...

Xbox Series X

Performance Mode: 1800p – 120fps

Balanced Mode: 2160p – 60fps

Ray Tracing Mode: 1800p – 60fps

Xbox Series S

Performance Mode: 1080p – 120fps

Balanced Mode: 1440p – 60fps

Ray Tracing Mode: Not Available

PlayStation 5

Performance Mode: 1584p – 120fps

Balanced Mode: 2160p – 60fps

Ray Tracing Mode: 1800p – 60fps

June 29th!

I’ve only played the first level. It’s a fun game, already looks pretty astonishing.

Oh I didn't think PS5 would be getting that update. I'm also still at the start of the game (got put off by the difficulty of one of those challenge rooms) and have been meaning to pick it up again and continue on a lower difficulty. That's great news.

• 3 weeks later...

Started this on PC the other day and so far having a pretty decent time with it, playing on Hurt Me Plenty.

About the story... In about 4 hours worth of play there's been maybe 15 minutes of waffle, at most. I was expecting 20 minute cut-scenes or something from the way people were going on. I'm not sure there's any more of this stuff than there was in Doom 2016, although I preferred the tone of 2016 to this surface level Warhammer knock-off.

The combat so far is incredible. I haven't met the infamous Marauders yet, so who knows if I'll feel differently then... but shooting the cannons off a Revenants back with the scoped rifle attachment is tied with Prodeus' 5th element style homing plasma rounds in terms of FPS greatness. The resource management and enemy weak spot elements work for me - expands the very thin tactical layer of Doom 2016s combat slightly. Nothing too unwieldy so far.

It's not really the sequel to Doom 2016 I would've wanted, it leans in to all the stuff I thought was over-worked or superfluous about 2016, but leaving aside the story, I think it's a more fleshed out version of that side of 2016.

The bits in between the main combat encounters are annoying me though. The game obviously needs downtime, but I don't want to be left scratching my head about what I'm supposed to do in that downtime. It's not like the platforming and the traversal puzzles are bad either. I think they're generally very well done - there was one bit that had me fuming because it stopped me getting to the next combat encounter for about 5 minutes but if it was in a Metroid Prime game I would've thought it was a great little spatial problem to be solved. It's that problem of playing a game that puts you in one head state and keeps you there most of the time but occasionally wants you to be in a different head state - like when you're reading a comic and it springs a page of prose on you and your brain shits itself because you're suddenly asking it to read a block of text without any pictures.

Update is coming down the pipe for me now on PC. 4.5gb.

EDIT*

Plays wonderfully on my PC. Not a dropped frame in sight, absolutely everything cranked to max at 4K60 with DLSS to balanced (would probably be the same on quality by the looks)

I immediately noticed the Ray Tracing as reflections are slathered all over the double shotgun lol. In a good way mind. id sure know how to make a well optimised engine.

EDIT2*

Hmm maybe reflections are SSR on the gun, just looking between RT on and off and I'm unsure. One thing is for certain the shotgun is one shiny sucker with RT on, looks good. 

Just loaded up Doom hunter base and fuck me it's a lot more shiny. I think in a good way. Just looks insane, set DLSS to quality now and it's running the same 60fps without a hitch. Need to play more but it's a big difference in visuals on some levels, guessing the one's with lots of metal/shiny surfaces, so a good chunk then.

Would love to hear what others think, from initial impressions I'm going with it looking insane.

For the PS5 version can you transfer your save ?

and what’s the verdict on the ancient Gods DLC ? One thing I disliked about the main game was the fact a lot of the environments look awful, not graphically but just stylistically. Someone told me the DLC looks more like Halo. 

2 hours ago, carlospie said:

You can. On the account log in screen press up up down down left right left right a b y X start.

Where do you sellotape the penny though?

I got the PS5 version.

generally speaking I can’t tell the difference between the 3 modes but on inspection of screenshots I can see a clear resolution bump in the quality setting.

Raytracing doesn’t seem to make much of a difference at all but I did come across a window which looked like I could go inside because there was some lights inside. Alas it was all just the reflection for across the road. The ray tracing of the player character is very dodgy too.

120fps makes zero difference to me.