Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

I would like to point out at this stage that I've finally worked out some settings on Doom that I'm finally able to avoid being sick.  I'd also like to point out that whilst playing the game (and about 3/4s through), the game has crashed and has rendered the save file corrupt. I'd forgotten that my cloud save settings were switched off.

God is clearly mocking me.

19 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Watch the NoClip doc on the first Doom. They know EXACTLY what Doom is.

It always seemed like they did last time, it felt like a pitch-perfect satire of the original Doom games and was extremely funny. This time I'm not so sure, it feels like a game written to pander to reddit fanboys who can't get enough lore. It's not subversive in the slightest, just a load of Warhammer wank played completely straight. It's such a hard about-face that it's made me retroactively doubt whether the original was as tongue-in-cheek as I thought.

Visually they also took a hard turn away from satanic/industrial imagery into Destiny-like cosmic fantasy, at times it feels more like a stealth reboot of the original Quake than Doom.

Yeah the further I get the more I'm inclined to agree. It's odd that they've managed to find a way make Doom TOO ridiculous.

Edit: in fact they've done what they tried to avoid. In th NoClip thing they said they were going for the right kind of dumb. In Eternal they've gone for dumb dumb, not funny dumb.

Note: dumb stops looking and sounding like a real word if you use it too much.

I’m trying this game again and it still hasn’t gripped my like 2016. I think the lore/plot is a factor. 

In 2016 when a character starts to give guy a monologue of context and you just kill him and carry on was amazing. This is just reams of tedious codex’s about tedious factions.

Just give me a man standing against hell. 

I'm enjoying the combat to a degree, and the environments are fucking rad. Seeing that what you're running along is a massive mech that's impaled a building sized demon is metal as fuck. I just feel I'm spinning plates. It doesn't help I keep pausing to see if I've missed any secrets instead of going back at the end of the level, I ought to get out of that habit.

34 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah the further I get the more I'm inclined to agree. It's odd that they've managed to find a way make Doom TOO ridiculous.

Edit: in fact they've done what they tried to avoid. In th NoClip thing they said they were going for the right kind of dumb. In Eternal they've gone for dumb dumb, not funny dumb.

Note: dumb stops looking and sounding like a real word if you use it too much.

There's one level with a very funny objective (you'll know it when you see it), and it's literally the only time in the entire game that it felt like Doom 2016 at all, tonally. I remain baffled as to why they barely used Samuel Hayden, or ignored their own sequel hook from last time.

It's been mentioned before, but narratively Doom 2016 felt it had been written by MachineGames. Their take on Wolfenstein is also perfectly self-referential whilst leaning into the absurdity of the premise. 

54 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

It always seemed like they did last time, it felt like a pitch-perfect satire of the original Doom games and was extremely funny. This time I'm not so sure, it feels like a game written to pander to reddit fanboys who can't get enough lore. It's not subversive in the slightest, just a load of Warhammer wank played completely straight. It's such a hard about-face that it's made me retroactively doubt whether the original was as tongue-in-cheek as I thought.

Visually they also took a hard turn away from satanic/industrial imagery into Destiny-like cosmic fantasy, at times it feels more like a stealth reboot of the original Quake than Doom.

There’s lore? I just ignore all that. 

I still feel the game spends too long throwing different upgrade paths at you. You're already trying to get used to the game feeling different to 2016, but it seems every so often it wants to explain yet another new system.

They could have dropped the suit upgrades and just left you with a fully powered suit, and probably done the same with the crystals that upped your max health/armour. Your real upgrade comes with your increasing skill at the game rather than those background metres.

Weapons and runes had a greater impact on play style and I think are much more worth keeping. 

13 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I still feel the game spends too long throwing different upgrade paths at you. You're already trying to get used to the game feeling different to 2016, but it seems every so often it wants to explain yet another new system.

They could have dropped the suit upgrades and just left you with a fully powered suit, and probably done the same with the crystals that upped your max health/armour. Your real upgrade comes with your increasing skill at the game rather than those background metres.

Weapons and runes had a greater impact on play style and I think are much more worth keeping. 

There's an awful lot to keep tabs on in Doom Eternal, that's for sure! 

It reminds me almost entirely of a first person version of Darksiders - which is not in itself a bad thing, mind.

The speed of traversal and the fluidity of movement in this is unparalleled, it’s an absolute joy to play moment to moment. I think it outdoes Destiny, even, in terms of how satisfying the combat is, it’s delicious. 

Just started this on Series X and quite enjoying it - still in the first level though. It runs beautifully and with the pace needed for the combat I can’t see how it can play properly on 30fps machines. The combat flow seems to be really enjoyable, I haven’t enjoyed a hectic shooter like this since Serious Sam 2. 

My main issue with this game is how juvenile it is though. I think I’d rather my wife catch me wanking than her walk in the room and see a glory kill animation :ph34r:

Man, the gunplay is divine in this.

The platforming makes me want to kill myself in all honesty. My hand eye co-ordination when it comes to these things is lacking terribly.

I still don't know how I feel about this. I've played a couple of hours and I'm still unlocking weapons and grenades and shit. I'm torn between the combat and traversal being stupid amounts of fun with the sheer volume of cogs and gears that make both of them up. It's just.....fussy. Messy. I'm still playing it so it's got something.

I remember when it first came out some people took umbridge at the hub where you have all your collectables and whatnot, which I kind of got as it seemed a bit out of character for the game but no bugger told me it was a flying castle space ship. That's fucking rad. That's the RIGHT kind of dumb.

I decided to watch Maximilian Dood's entire playthrough of this (PC version at super high framerate but played with a controller) and it's just as good a game to watch as it is to play. I rarely watch streams, so it says something that I watched all 18 hours or so of this. It helps that he's good, he beat the game on Ultra Violence with a controller while on stream and nailed the

Spoiler

Ballista/shotgun combo against the Marauders

, but it further convinced me that this is pretty much the new gold standard in video game combat. The intensity, the insane movement with all the mobility options, the constant weapon switching, the enemy variety and sheer agression, the burn for ammo, chainsaw for armor, glory kill for health dynamic, the ridiculous arsenal and mods: it's poetry in motion. I honestly have no idea where id can go from here, but I'm really curious to find out. 

If I didn't already have a PC, I'd buy a Series X just to play whatever id's gonna pump-out next.

7 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

I decided to watch Maximilian Dood's entire playthrough of this (PC version at super high framerate but played with a controller) and it's just as good a game to watch as it is to play. I rarely watch streams, so it says something that I watched all 18 hours or so of this. It helps that he's good, he beat the game on Ultra Violence with a controller while on stream and nailed the

Reveal hidden contents

Ballista/shotgun combo against the Marauders

, but it further convinced me that this is pretty much the new gold standard in video game combat. The intensity, the insane movement with all the mobility options, the constant weapon switching, the enemy variety and sheer agression, the burn for ammo, chainsaw for armor, glory kill for health dynamic, the ridiculous arsenal and mods: it's poetry in motion. I honestly have no idea where id can go from here, but I'm really curious to find out. 

If I didn't already have a PC, I'd buy a Series X just to play whatever id's gonna pump-out next.

I've been replaying it on Series X and having a WAY more fun time than the first time I went through it on PS4. 

The Xbox Controller feels far more suited to it, and I can perform all the actions that the game asks of you with far more fluidity. 

I also have the Xbox set to 120 fps. Yes, the game is a 60 fps game, but with the Series X set to 120 fps at the system level, it will set the TV to 120 Hz mode anyway and output 120 fps to it (if the game is 60 fps it will send the frame followed by a duplicate frame), resulting in input latency halved.

Haven't played a game in a looong time that leaves me with such a sense of both exhaustion and accomplishment after each big battle. It's really very good indeed. 

Finished the campaign and I’m not ashamed to admit I did it on the lowest difficulty with any other assists they offered me, and even then it was still quite challenging at times.

I loved it bar a few small annoyances, mainly some of the jumping/dash bits never felt like my lack of skill when I failed them for the umpteenth time, more a case of getting frustrated with it, but they were few and far between and overall I didn’t mind the platforming as it broke up the seriously intense combat and offered some respite now and again. 

That combat though, bloody hell it’s incredible, so satisfying, smooth and stylish. 

A fantastic game by a really talented developer at the height of their powers, can’t wait for their next game and I’d love to see Quake get the D:blink:M treatment. 

Also this game looks astonishing, technically and artistically it’s on another level. 

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Finished the campaign and I’m not ashamed to admit I did it on the lowest difficulty with any other assists they offered me, and even then it was still quite challenging at times.

Yeah, easy setting for me too. Pain/Pleasure levels are just right for me :) .

Still enjoy watching the intro to the Phobos/BFG level though. Despite having seen it throughout the initial trailers and shows, it's a remarkably well animated set-piece!

The season pass for this game is such good value. Started playing part 2 of The Ancient Gods last night and the first bit looks like a well done Halo Infinite. :) Obvs not open world but the palette and setting looks similar and so buttery smooth with hordes of enemies. Feels good just getting back into the zone as gore and colour just splash across the screen in ludicrous levels of destruction. Enjoying more than Part 1 as looks very different so far.

Oh man, I'm having a not so nice time with that bloody Maykr Khan person.

Mostly it's down to my own stupidity, but there are moments when I want to throw my controller out the window when the damn grapple hook fails to fire after I bloody well tell it to :P 

21 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

Why is this game so hard? My ego hates me lowering a game's difficulty but I did it with this game and even on easy it's STILL harder than most games' default.

I like to believe it's to give you the wonderful release of endorphins when you actually do get through a particular part. There's a massive elation I felt on certain bits.

Like just this minute finishing off the final boss. 

Bloody hell that was some exciting stuff!

I may well leave starting the Ancient Gods for a little while though...I've drunk my fill just for the moment, and require something less liable to cause my heart to burst.

Just picked up the Year One pass now it’s fallen to a reasonable level (£13 from CD keys) as I was tied to the Bethesda launcher. 

Still resent the fact I could have had the deluxe version for about a fiver more but I loved my time with this last year so can’t really complain.

Looking forward to jumping back in...this was undoubtedly one of the best things I played last year