Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

55 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I’m about to play this, as someone who found ‘normal’ on Doom (2016) quite challenging, what difficulty setting would you recommend? 

I've written about it in here a fair bit but DOOM Eternal's a game that just has to click really. I'd go normal to start and give it a few levels for everything to sink in. That's what I did and then pushed it up to Hurt Me Plenty and it didn't really feel that different because I understood what the game wanted me to do. 

Everything has a very specific way it can be killed and the whole game is you basically working out how to cycle through everything to kill whatever's in front of you at 1000 miles an hour. It's a belter, stick with it!

I had to drop The Ancient Gods down to Hurt Me Plenty eventually, I’d been stuck 2/3 through the final level on Ultra-Violence for about four months and just wanted to see the end. I still died plenty of times on the final boss. It may actually be the more enjoyable setting, it still punishes you for playing poorly but feels far less random and uncompromising. 

5 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I had to drop The Ancient Gods down to Hurt Me Plenty eventually, I’d been stuck 2/3 through the final level on Ultra-Violence for about four months and just wanted to see the end. I still died plenty of times on the final boss. It may actually be the more enjoyable setting, it still punishes you for playing poorly but feels far less random and uncompromising. 

No shame in that, it's a brutal piece of DLC. I bet you you'll manage Ultra Violence on your replay though. I was surprised at the time I made second run through after how insane it all seemed first time out.

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

No shame in that, it's a brutal piece of DLC. I bet you you'll manage Ultra Violence on your replay though. I was surprised at the time I made second run through after how insane it all seemed first time out.

I don’t even think the set-piece I knocked it down on was the hardest of the DLC, but if you’ve given the game a rest for a while it’s really, really hard to pick it back up again from a choke point. I had the same issue when the DLC fist came out, I hadn’t played it since launch but the difficulty carried on at the same pace as the final level and it took a few hours to adjust.

For the record, I thought the hardest bit of the DLC was the trial at the top of the Blood Swamp, that was absolutely brutal because there were so many waves. The infamous double marauder fight wasn’t actually that bad, just a bit boring because you have to be quite cautious.

38 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I don’t even think the set-piece I knocked it down on was the hardest of the DLC, but if you’ve given the game a rest for a while it’s really, really hard to pick it back up again from a choke point. I had the same issue when the DLC fist came out, I hadn’t played it since launch but the difficulty carried on at the same pace as the final level and it took a few hours to adjust.

For the record, I thought the hardest bit of the DLC was the trial at the top of the Blood Swamp, that was absolutely brutal because there were so many waves. The infamous double marauder fight wasn’t actually that bad, just a bit boring because you have to be quite cautious.

There's two hardest bits for me - what you mentioned, and one of the penultimate fights in Act 3. Savage fights that last ages with a lot of nasty enemies.

I enjoyed the marauder fights quite a bit, spent a while on them just having fun. I posted this earlier, but what the hey. 

46 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

There's two hardest bits for me - what you mentioned, and one of the penultimate fights in Act 3. Savage fights that last ages with a lot of nasty enemies.

I enjoyed the marauder fights quite a bit, spent a while on them just having fun. I posted this earlier, but what the hey. 

Yeah that might be the same bit I finally knocked it down on, it was quite close to the end and shortly before the bit with the double cyberdemons and the doom hunter. It was a fairly ‘standard’ encounter but it was frenzied and gruelling. That whole level was tough.

It’s so fast, I’d seen videos but nothing prepared me for just how fast it really is. 

So many layers and combos and options, way more than Doom 2016. Where is your blood punch meter? At the moment that’s what is confusing me the most, all the different meters and stuff. 

It’s not clicked yet but I’ve barely begun so I’ll give it time. 

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s so fast, I’d seen videos but nothing prepared me for just how fast it really is. 

So many layers and combos and options, way more than Doom 2016. Where is your blood punch meter? At the moment that’s what is confusing me the most, all the different meters and stuff. 

It’s not clicked yet but I’ve barely begun so I’ll give it time. 

Have you picked it up yet? It's down in the bottom left (third icon along?), but here's some advice - you'll never be able to glance over mid fight and pick it out. Too much is happening - instead, get a feel for the cooldowns. You absolutely have to pepper them into your approach - sawing for health, fighting a bit, flaming a dude for armour, dashing out and chucking a grenade in.  

Glory kills are what refill blood punch by the way. I love doing them, which is handy as you'll likely be doing it a lot. 

It is starting to click. It’s very visual isn’t it for want of a better description, just the way that everything kind of leads you from the level design to the ammo, health etc. 

It’s got that gleaming id high-tech look that really captures old school Doom too, and it’s a hardware game in the sense that it’s all about the guns and the weapons, the machinery etc. 

The shooting is sublime, I’m getting used to targeting various parts of enemies to weaken and destabilise them, I mainly use the sniper rifle mod for that. In fact I’m amazed at how quickly I’ve got used to the speed and the rhythm of it, and the way the fights are kind of broken up with a few puzzles and platforming bits. 

I was unsure after some people said they didn’t like it compared to 2016, which I also loved, but this is excellent imo. 

Nice to read your impressions, @Stanley :)
I'm currently watching Maximilian Dood's playthrough on YT, and it's such a fun game to watch as well. It's relentless, a true assault on the senses but still so very gamey too (1-ups!). 

And speaking of this game:

Doom Eternal is such a fundamentally different game than 2016 that it feels more like comparing Halo and Goldeneye or something rather than sequels.

17 hours ago, Benny said:

Doom Eternal is such a fundamentally different game than 2016 that it feels more like comparing Halo and Goldeneye or something rather than sequels.

Do you think? The actual mechanics are pretty much the same, they just do more with them in the sequel, it’s like a more distilled version of the first game that forms a more cohesive whole, imo anyway - I love them both but this one really excites me, in ways that are often only reserved for Nintendo games, it’s that level of quality for me, polished beyond belief. 

If the stated aim of the Marauder was to teach you to hot-swap your weapons, then it failed miserably. Everyone I’ve seen doing that was playing M&K, he’s too fast to reliably hit with anything other than the super shotty on a pad (in my experience anyway).

It’s definitely true that your priorities adjust immediately whenever the Marauder is thrown onto the field, but I find him painfully prescriptive to actually fight. The other Super Heavies are all far more fun.

If they left his moveset exactly the same but reduced his health by half (or more) it would make for a more interesting opponent they could use more often. 

12 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

If the stated aim of the Marauder was to teach you to hot-swap your weapons, then it failed miserably. Everyone I’ve seen doing that was playing M&K, he’s too fast to reliably hit with anything other than the super shotty on a pad (in my experience anyway).

It’s definitely true that your priorities adjust immediately whenever the Marauder is thrown onto the field, but I find him painfully prescriptive to actually fight. The other Super Heavies are all far more fun.

If they left his moveset exactly the same but reduced his health by half (or more) it would make for a more interesting opponent they could use more often. 

Yeah I really like him as a thing, he just takes too long to deal with. 

18 hours ago, Benny said:

+1

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Do you think? The actual mechanics are pretty much the same, they just do more with them in the sequel, it’s like a more distilled version of the first game that forms a more cohesive whole, imo anyway - I love them both but this one really excites me, in ways that are often only reserved for Nintendo games, it’s that level of quality for me, polished beyond belief. 

Depends on how far through you are on this. IMO it became very tiresome very quickly, you want to shoot but you can because you are running around like a headless chicken collecting stuff to shoot them with all the bloody time.

Yeah but you farm enemies for ammo, that’s the loop, there have been times when I’ve been caught short but generally that was when I was still getting to grips with it, I mean I still am, but I understand that to be an integral part of the gameplay. Maybe it gets harder later on like you say. 

Good news for those of us who barely noticed when their meters had refilled; they've now added icons around the crosshair and it's much better. I could also swear they've rebalanced it slightly, I'm dying a lot less on Ultra Violence than I was before, but to be honest that may just be because I'm now using my flame belch at least twice as frequently.

Ancient Gods Part 2 seems excellent so far, they're still introducing new enemies and mechanics and trolling the player with increasingly creative and fiendish combinations. Feels easier than Part 1 so far, I'm sure it won't last but at least it hasn't opened with another vertical wall of difficulty. Players who struggled with the platforming so far are going to hate it, they've now got you whipping your chain around like Indiana Jones. There's a new imp variant that's extremely satisfying blow away in large numbers.

Should anyone not have the game, CDKeys have the deluxe version going for under £20 - which includes the two DLC packs. Only snag is that it's on the Bethesda launcher, but that's fairly painless really I guess.

I find it shocking how crap my will power is when it comes to witnessing genuine enthusiasm when folk like a game. Despite the fact that Doom 2016 constantly makes me ill if I play it too long, I still picked this up :P

18 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

This game is fucking stupid. I mean, it makes the first one look like Macbeth or some shit. Holy fuck.

I'm working on the theory that the devs are knowingly making the story as stupid and overblown as all hell.

But, you have soooooo much lore and background detail going on and I have some doubts.

I kind of love it though :P