Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

RubberJohnny

I'm playing the DLC atm. My god it's fucking brutal. Proper palpitations. Wouldn't have it any other way.

That Switch port looks very decent. Would imagine you'd wreck the joycons, well, not really but you do perform some heavy control movements when it's at its most intense. Definite Pro controller or another stout option recommended for certain scenarios.

6 hours ago, amc said:

I'm playing the DLC atm. My god it's fucking brutal. Proper palpitations. Wouldn't have it any other way.

That Switch port looks very decent. Would imagine you'd wreck the joycons, well, not really but you do perform some heavy control movements when it's at its most intense. Definite Pro controller or another stout option recommended for certain scenarios.

Yeah I wouldn’t want to play it without the Hori joycons or the pro pad.

Although gyro might alleviate some issues

Is this game generally considered like ten times harder than the first one? I remember playing through the 2016 version, and while challenging I enjoyed playing through it and hardly ever got stuck. I'm struggling with Doom Eternal. I think I'm coming to the end of the second mission (Exutia) and I'm already considering dropping it. I'm on the standard difficulty like the last game but this is whopping me to the point that it's not fun anymore! The terrain in particular seems a lot more hazardous this time round. The one time it looked like I'll pull through the shootout, the fucking lava killed me. The hell knights are infuriating, always on your case and bouncing you off the land. Is it meant to be this hard or have I just got really shit the last couple of years? Any tips?

And some of the platforming on this! Jesus Christ. I can't imagine how hard it will get in the later levels. I'm just not feeling this one so far.

I bought it on release, really excited to have the distraction back during the first lockdown, and just couldn't get into it at all. I slogged away to make progress as I bought it at full price and didn't want to waste my money.  I made some progress but went on to other things. I recently tried to pick it up again and just got annihilated from my checkpoint multiple times - it's just not something that you can pick up and play once you're past the first couple of levels. You need to have that muscle memory, to be in the zone. Absolutely unforgiving. That will be perfect for others, but not for me.

I think I'll start again, bust everything down to easy and see how it goes. I played so much of 2016, completed it multiple times on different difficulties, found all the secrets-  that this one just changed up so much that it took away the 'back to basics' approach to FPS in 2016 that was so refreshing.

2016 Doom is like old school death metal, 2020 Doom is Progressive Technical Death Metal - sometimes I'll be in the mood for the latter but if I'm having a few beers and want to have some fun, it's 2016 all the way.

I found it harder to get my head around and then overall a bit easier once it clicked. It was a proper switch moment too, at one point I didn't get it but thought I did and it was really difficult, then literally I just got it and blasted through the rest of the game really enjoying it. 

It's great. Different but great. 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

I found it harder to get my head around and then overall a bit easier once it clicked. It was a proper switch moment too, at one point I didn't get it but thought I did and it was really difficult, then literally I just got it and blasted through the rest of the game really enjoying it. 

It's great. Different but great. 

Yeah, this is definitely a thing. I still don’t rate it as highly as 2016 but there was a definitely lightbulb moment where the whole thing clicked, and it became much more enjoyable immediately. It wasn’t until about 4-5 hours in, either.

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah, this is definitely a thing. I still don’t rate it as highly as 2016 but there was a definitely lightbulb moment where the whole thing clicked, and it became much more enjoyable immediately. It wasn’t until about 4-5 hours in, either.

Yep. I'm hoping I don't have to go through it all again when I try the DLC next year. 

This is brilliant. Absolutely relentless. The chainsaw for low ammo is a genius idea. It’s the first doom game since the originals where it’s always been a struggle for ammo but encourages you to get in amongst it to win it back. I love it. 

best FPS platforming since Metroid prime echoes as well

I've finally gone back to the Ancient Gods DLC and I think it's actually better than the main game. It absolutely won't win over anyone who completely bounced off Eternal, it's brutally hard straight from the off and the plot is somehow even more incomprehensible than before, but the level/encounter design is superb and it looks truly spectacular.

I think it took me 4-5 hours to beat the first level alone; sure, a bunch of that was me getting completely destroyed, but it was satisfyingly long and varied and they milked the impressive setting for everything it was worth. Massacring my way across epic sci-fi installations that literally look like concept art whilst Samuel Hayden barks nonsense in my ear is exactly what I always wanted from a Doom sequel.

14 hours ago, scottcr said:

This is brilliant. Absolutely relentless. The chainsaw for low ammo is a genius idea. It’s the first doom game since the originals where it’s always been a struggle for ammo but encourages you to get in amongst it to win it back. I love it. 

best FPS platforming since Metroid prime echoes as well

The whole flame & chain aspect is genius. Once you suss that's how to game the game those bastard hard encounters become quite a bit easier and the whole hectic fight becomes a waltz of blasting, chainsawing and flaming. I had that epiphany early on luckily as most fights are brutal enough even with the ability to constantly top up your health, ammo and armour. 

What I do now is leave the odd lone gormless and basically harmless zombie ambling about and flame him a couple of times for armour, then either chainsaw the fucker to fill my ammo or get him flashing to top up my health. Never leave what was an intense battleground to go into another without stocking up via said zombies. That way any pick-ups in the next area can hopefully be picked up in the heat of battle, opposed to getting me up to snuff at the start, and help the flame and chain ballet in keeping me alive. I actually finish most big encounters with health packs and armour shards still strewn about now, even on nightmare.

The Marauder is id's spanner in that flow to spice things up, well, a couple of enemies are purposefully designed that way, as a sort of untied shoelace in the dance to trip you up and keep you from decimating everything with the mechanic.

It's a fucking awesome game.

I've finally started playing this and I have to say the polarised opinions make a lot of sense.

Firstly, I don't think it's as good as Doom 2016. However I do think it's a good game, and to be honest feels like something completely different.

The combat ballet can be intense but rewarding. It's a very specific dance you have to play to win, and this makes every encounter a real test of fortitude. The graphics are astounding too, and it runs at a blistering pace. However, I sort of hate how they changed the glory kills to only give you health. This means you are forced to use the chainsaw to top up on ammo, whereas in the original you could save its use for some big enemies too. It takes away a bit of player freedom to force you into the correct dance. This both works for what it's trying to do while also taking some of the fun away.

You also can't just punch zombies to death to save ammo anymore. Strange.

The platforming: I think this is a terrible addition to the game. It breaks up the combat flow with something frustrating linking the encounters together. However, I oddly liked some of it: in a Mirrors Edge sort of way, but felt like it belongs in a different game. Also: it feels absolutely designed for mouse and keyboard. If I was playing on a pad I'd have chucked it out the window.

The traps around arenas are really annoying to start with, but you soon realise they are put there at the start to teach the player to keep moving. But once I learned that I don't need more traps later, and even more I don't need sludge on the ground that stops me from moving in a whole arena. Literally taking away the one thing that's best about the game, the freedom of movement.

As for the encounters themselves, I get why they show little tutorials for each new big enemy when they appear, but why show those literally the second before you actually see the new enemy? It goes from: oh no, Pinkies! To: oh right I guess I have to fight a Pinkie now then. It's completely at odds with how the first game introduced new enemies and robs them of any surprise.

Then there's all the endless mods and upgrades and time wasting hub world place. Just, why? It's fucking Bethesda nonsense.

And finally, the "story". This is the only part where I can't see the reason for it. Everything the first game did well, completely forgotten. Like they thought people cared about a lore part. Just embarrassingly stupid and robs the whole Doomguy thing of any cool it had. Endless cutscenes taken seriously... It's baffling.

But the actual combat though? Bar the restrictions on player freedom, once you buy into the "dance" it's crack.

I played it on Ultra-Violence but I find the concept of there being two whole settings above that almost unfathomable. The latter half of Eternal and the entirety of Ancient Gods put the majority of the Souls games to shame. It reminds me of Ninja Gaiden 2 actually; a ceaseless onslaught of fodder enemies which can easily kill you in their own right, peppered with frequent sub-boss characters who are even more dangerous. It’s utterly relentless.

In the combat it does feel like a game aimed at real hardcore Quake multiplayer masters. Not necessarily a bad thing, but very inaccessible. And makes the other tacked on trad gaming stuff and presentation of tutorials in the game even more baffling.

Final thoughts: really enjoyed it, but it's not as good as the previous game. I think the balance is too much swung away from that game's sense of empowerment.

Hurt me Plenty seemed like a good challenge, right up until the final boss, which I ended up turning on the Sentinal armour helper for because fuck that.