Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

The two Trials were particular highlights. But there's also some great arenas like the one with all the fog and the Arachnatron with the Empowered Demon in it. In fact, the Empowered Demons are a fantastic adition. 

I'm only posting this because negs aren't a thing anymore (nah, not really, wait, actually really), but I much prefer this to 2016. I know it's a cliche but once this clicks, well clicked for me, it was incredible. I had those moments in 2016 and they were awesome, but when similar moments happened in Eternal they were transcendent.

I know plenty felt it dropped the ball but I can honestly say if you dug it from the other side of the fence then you understood the media scores. That's not to say one was right or the other was wrong, but that both have merit.

For me it was the best first person shooter I've ever played. It hit the notes the first game did all those years ago. Zen shit wrapped in stunning visuals. Rip and Tear, and flame and chain obv. 

On 26/11/2020 at 22:51, amc said:

I'm only posting this because negs aren't a thing anymore (nah, not really, wait, actually really), but I much prefer this to 2016. I know it's a cliche but once this clicks, well clicked for me, it was incredible. I had those moments in 2016 and they were awesome, but when similar moments happened in Eternal they were transcendent.

I know plenty felt it dropped the ball but I can honestly say if you dug it from the other side of the fence then you understood the media scores. That's not to say one was right or the other was wrong, but that both have merit.

For me it was the best first person shooter I've ever played. It hit the notes the first game did all those years ago. Zen shit wrapped in stunning visuals. Rip and Tear, and flame and chain obv. 

NEGGED!

Nah only kidding

I find Eternal way more engaging than 2016 which feels kinda flat when I went back to it and I love the injection of colour Eternal has in addition to the ebb and flow of combat. 2016 was a straight forward shooter which is fair enough why people prefer that - it being Doom. The dev team clearly wanted to evolve that and it has definitely taken some DMC/Platinum cues for the combat which was always going to be divisive when mess with what has always been point/shoot/strafe formula. 

38 minutes ago, And said:

Erm. So I bought this in the sale. Wow. It’s very different from the last one isn’t it? What were they thinking? 

I personally found that, as a game, it made no sense whatsoever as an enjoyable experience until you have all the tools you need.

For me, they were all in-hand around the 1.5 hour mark, after which I began to really love it. 

Stick with it until you have the key abilities, then see how you feel, is my advice. 

There’s just so much going on vs the purity of the last one. More isn’t necessarily more. 

I’m only on the second level but it deffo feels like they’ve made enemies take more hits to squeeze your ammo and make you reliant on juggling the chainsaw and fire belch but they feel like gimmicks. 

Will stick with it but it’s just a bit, off. 

And I might be done. I want to play. But there’s some bullshit quadruple jump platforming section I’ve spent half an hour repetitively failing to make and I ain’t got time for this shit. Just let me shoot demons, I’m not a plumber. 

I know alot of effort has gone into getting this running on the Switch and that costs. But surely more copies would be sold at say £35 that £50. 

It's a big ask for a game that is now effectively in the bargain bin on other platforms.

On 30/11/2020 at 16:42, And said:

Erm. So I bought this in the sale. Wow. It’s very different from the last one isn’t it? What were they thinking? 

The thinking was "Doom 2016 really worked, let's improve it by adding shit loads of fussy, extra, shite. And. also, endless fucking platforms!"

They failed. It's dogshit.

29 minutes ago, Mike S said:

The thinking was "Doom 2016 really worked, let's improve it by adding shit loads of fussy, extra, shite. And. also, endless fucking platforms!"

I agree with all of the above but I think what they've made is excellent, just totally different. The story's awful and there are too many platforming sections, and if you're looking for a more advanced version of 2016's combat you don't get that at all. What you get is a super fluid, super high octane puzzle game. It took ages for it to click with me but it's a very very good video game if you can put what came before it out of your head and embrace what's there.  

Just now, BitterToad said:

I agree with all of the above but I think what they've made is excellent, just totally different. The story's awful and there are too many platforming sections, and if you're looking for a more advanced version of 2016's combat you don't get that at all. What you get is a super fluid, super high octane puzzle game. It took ages for it to click with me but it's a very very good video game if you can put what came before it out of your head and embrace what's there.  

I absolutely loved 2016, and another replay after bouncing off this confirms that I still do. Eternal is no longer a DOOM game and that is my issue with it. For those that want overly busy control and weapons systems, first person platforming, and puzzles then, yeah, this may be there game. It's not Doom though as I cannot recall a previous iteration in which I died more from misjudged platforming than I did from demons. It is doom by contemporary game design committee and stands alone as the most disappointing game of the year, by a country mile..

Sadly, I cannot put the 2016 reboot out of my head as that was pretty much as perfect an update of the original as I could have ever hoped for. 

2016 really captured the feel of the first 2, I would spend hours playing weird homebrew maps in doom 2 with my housemates at uni. 

The last one was good precisely because of it's pared back style, no reloading, no fancy gimmicks, just rip and tear. 

This one would be ok with all the extra gimmicks if I could actually progress but whoever thinks people want platforming in first person is just wrong. There has never been a good platforming section in a first person shooter. 

(and don't be that guy, smugly pointing out portal exists, yes it does, its great, its also not a shooter, and furthermore, if this were portal, i could solve my issue by using a fucking portal)

So I'm quite disappointed by this. Might go back for my 3rd playthrough of 2016 then 

3 hours ago, And said:

2016 really captured the feel of the first 2, I would spend hours playing weird homebrew maps in doom 2 with my housemates at uni. 

The last one was good precisely because of it's pared back style, no reloading, no fancy gimmicks, just rip and tear. 

This one would be ok with all the extra gimmicks if I could actually progress but whoever thinks people want platforming in first person is just wrong. There has never been a good platforming section in a first person shooter. 

(and don't be that guy, smugly pointing out portal exists, yes it does, its great, its also not a shooter, and furthermore, if this were portal, i could solve my issue by using a fucking portal)

So I'm quite disappointed by this. Might go back for my 3rd playthrough of 2016 then 

Metroid Prime :P

I replayed Doom 2016 this year in anticipation of Eternal but then never got round to Eternal. Now it's on PC game pass though I'll finally get round to it.

One thing I'd say about Doom 2016 is that the Foundry (3rd level?) is the one that most accurately captures the feel of free form exploration and non-linearity that Doom 1+2's best levels had and as a result everything after that was strangely anti-climatic for me. The hell levels especially. They have plenty of secrets and little navigational tricks and hidden passages to move between areas, but you're ultimately going from Arena A to Arena B to Arena C.

I also thought there was too much cruft in 2016 already with the rune trials and unlocks. Especially the incremental suit power ups. So who knows what I'll make of Eternal. If you described it to me and it wasn't a Doom game, I probably wouldn't want to play it but I'm open to being won over.