rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

They've messed up the rendering of most of the Doom 1+2 stuff, and that isn't the Doom 3 doomguy (it's the side character from the expansion pack).

Doom 1+2 > Q3A > Doom 3 > Doom 2016 > Doom Eternal would be a better progression in that case.

Also the Doom 3 expansion pack had 'proper' lost souls.

It's interesting that the imp design (except in appearance) has stayed almost identical from Doom 3, to the mutants in Rage 1, to Doom 2016/Eternal.

The Doom 3 art direction is horrendous. I also prefer most of the DOOM 2016 models over the DOOM Eternal ones.

• Upvote 2

I don't mind the enemy design in Eternal, but it's quite cartoonish. The Cacodemon almost looks cute. 2016 wasn't a scary game but the enemy designs are certainly more repulsive/creepy.

18 minutes ago, tbb said:

The Doom 3 art direction is horrendous. I also prefer most of the DOOM 2016 models over the DOOM Eternal ones.

I agree, except I like that Doom Eternal monsters stay closer to Doom 1&2 original designs.  I didn't like the Doom 2016 possessed solider design as it was too much of a departure from the original Doom.

Had an absolute blast on this last night, felt like a god like the Doomslayer, boosting between enemies, switching up the finishing kills and hoovering up the drops. 

First bug though last night on 

Spoiler

Super gore nest

where a door didn’t trigger and a challenge room where failure made me go back too far to make too many attempts.

The thing is, I'm an action game aficionado. What they've done here is kind of incredible really - there's so many interlocking systems constantly at work, and the flow is absolutely sublime. There are very minor changes I'd make (like the dodge battering enemies aside if you need to escape, or having a stunned monster ready for a glory kill be chainsawable even with only 1 part of the gauge filled) but what they've done here... hell, it's like nothing else an FPS has ever even attempted.

I do miss some of the interactions from 2016 to be fair - I like the videogamey look of secrets and keys, but it means you don't get amusing moments like Doomguy tearing off a corpse's arm to use on a scanner and the like. Also, some of the cutscenes feel like they should be playable, like aiming certain weapons at the environment - anyone who's got to these sequences knows what I mean. That said, it's clearly been done this way so that they can be skipped as soon as they start rather than locking players in for 30 seconds of just looking around during a scripted sequence.

Amazing times. 

• Upvote 9

What happened to the invasions thing? I don’t recall being invaded at any point. 

20 hours ago, tbb said:

The Doom 2016 Baron sticks out as really bad. They scrambled to recolour the imp, caco and baron at the last minute when people moaned about pre-release screenshots. The imp looks amazing, the baron just looks ridiculous though, like the Roast Beef Monster Munch monster.

Oh no, I much prefer the 2016 Baron. It looks like Tim Curry's Darkness in Legend; a proper massive glowing red horned demon with goat legs, just like the original.

On 05/04/2020 at 20:29, simms said:

I'm tempted to get this from cd keys for £28 but got so many other games on the go.  Nice evolution of the Doom monsters video:

Cool video. Actually makes me want to play Doom 3 again as its the only one (apart from Eternal which I don't have yet) that I haven't played to death. Also interesting to see that some of the design elements from 3 (technically the black sheep of the family I guess) carried over to '16 and Eternal, such as the ridges of bone along the imp's heads. 

Does Eternal fix what was probably my only real complaint about '16 - that towards the end it just seemed like a linear series of massive arenas, where you fight endlessly-spawning numbers of the same enemies, in one of two different environments (space station or hell) - to the point that the only real strategy you need to worry about is "keep moving" and you'll survive. On medium difficulty level anyway - I didn't try the top difficulties. 

I will almost certainly buy and complete this at some point regardless - but I'd really prefer it if they'd made some attempt to bring back the sort of exploration and "real" (by which I mean, not obviously built just as arenas for pitched battles) locations of Doom 2. 

48 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Does Eternal fix what was probably my only real complaint about '16 - that towards the end it just seemed like a linear series of massive arenas, where you fight endlessly-spawning numbers of the same enemies, in one of two different environments (space station or hell) - to the point that the only real strategy you need to worry about is "keep moving" and you'll survive. On medium difficulty level anyway - I didn't try the top difficulties. 

Yes and no. If anything they aggressively double down on the linear sequence of arenas, but continually running in circles won't be enough to get you through them any more, not even on the lower difficulties. They've added a lot of depth and you have to be much more tactical now.

Finished this now.

Thankfully.

Did a complete 180 on this, I loved it until I got 90% the way through. When you think you’ve nearly finished it, the game just drags repeating the same go here 3 times and turn this thing on.

The setups for the battles dragged on much longer than they needed, felt it got really cheap towards the end. The last boss fights are just terrible and didn’t fee rewarding at all, really struggled to get through. Really didn’t enjoy my time on the last couple of levels.

On 09/04/2020 at 18:02, Zero9X said:

Finished this now.

Thankfully.

Did a complete 180 on this, I loved it until I got 90% the way through. When you think you’ve nearly finished it, the game just drags repeating the same go here 3 times and turn this thing on.

The setups for the battles dragged on much longer than they needed, felt it got really cheap towards the end. The last boss fights are just terrible and didn’t fee rewarding at all, really struggled to get through. Really didn’t enjoy my time on the last couple of levels.

I certainly understand this - I loved the stages, but the actual bosses make the mistake of thinking that a massive slog full of respawning enemies is analogous to gunning the accelerator while ramping it up to the climax. Those last few bosses are genuinely pretty terrible. See, the core combat loop is incredibly tightly designed, so when it asks even one more thing from the player it can severely damage the flow of combat. In both cases, one of these things is spending a lot of time looking away from the minions.

I won't go too much into detail as I don't want to spoil the encounters, but they're absolutely cases where less would have been more and the more they chose is absolutely less. I'm pretty sure they knew that they screwed up the boss encounters given the out that players are given.

Misjudged final sprint aside, absolute hell of a game though. Even the marauders didn't bother me at all, and I've heard a lot of complaints about them.

Playing this in Hurt Me Plenty and MY GOD it gets intense...but I haven't died as much as I think I should have. Last stand rune helps but a typical combat goes "RIP AND TEAR YEAH shit a Arachnatron ok take out it's main guns FUCK WHERE DID THE DREADKNIGHT COME FROM? Ok don't panic kill an Imp for health chaindaw that zombie for ammo we're good OH FUCK OFF WHIPLASH GET IN THE SEA SUPER SHOTGUN IN THE FACE FUCK A MANCUBUS WHERE DID THAT FUCKING WHIPLASH GO? CHAINSAW FLAME GRENADE IN THE CACODEMONs MOUTH WHY IS THERE A FUCKING DOOM HUNTER HERE?" and then I win.

Not looking forward to multiple Marauders though.

Finished yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it and immediately started going back through to get all the secrets.

Some of those latter exploration sections/jumps though....had to switch off and come back later.

It's kind of annoying that all the secrets are visible on the map. They're not really secrets if you can see them.  Original DOOM just had random walls that opened when you action buttoned them and were proper secrets that you really had to hunt about for.

Just started this. Finding it tough but absolutely absorbed as well. I can't play for too long as I'm exhausted by it so have done the first three levels in a couple of days. Bit of fiddly platforming aside I'm loving it so far... I always forget to use the bloody chainsaw for ammo! 

Jesus what a game. Overall really good, worthy followup to Doom 2016... but I'm not sure which one I like more. I think the 1st is better on a first time play-through. In Doom 2016 you felt yourself getting stronger and better at the game and growing more confident.

Meanwhile in Eternal you feel like you're in panic mode 90% of the time. Yeah you're getting stronger, getting better but the progression feels like it plateaus a little early. It's very much a more frantic game, amazingly. That said, by the time you finish Doom 2016, and feel like playing it again but not wanting to start a new save, you are FAR too powerful for pretty much everything in the game. Equip fully upgraded super shotgun, casually stroll through Mars. You definitely don't feel like that in Eternal, because you're always panic mode, as stated earlier, you're definitely never bored unless you put every single damn cheat on. So I think this'll be better for subsequent play-throughs.

Also CHRIST my hands hurt after that last boss. Now I just need something relaxing to do. Like defusing a live bomb.

• Upvote 2

Loving this. Also playing on Hurt Me Plenty which is giving a good challenge without being too frustrating. When I die, I always know what I’ve done wrong - usually staying in one place too long or not using the Chainsaw enough. I am on around Chapter 5 or 6 so still a long way to go but can see myself replaying it to find all the secrets.

If I had criticisms, it throws a lot of tools and techniques at you early to the point I forgot some of them (Blood Punch being a good example) and some of the jumping puzzles are annoying rather than challenging.

Just finished the Campaign and this is definitely one of the most enjoyable games I have played in a long time. The balance of the weapons and the enemies/weak spots is perfect. It looks chaotic but is much more tactical than a lot of other shooters. Loved the final boss although found that one easier than some of the previous ones, probably as it was easy to keep on the move.

If I had criticisms, the jumping puzzles seem to be there for the sake of it. There was one towards the end of the penultimate level (the one where you have to align the three rings) where I nearly jacked it in.

I also missed a number of gameplay elements along the way. Didn’t realise I had a meat hook until the penultimate boss and completely forgot to upgrade my suit - literally only did the first token when it introduces the suit early in the game. I think that’s because it throws a lot at you in a short period of time. I also found it difficult to monitor whether I had enough energy for a Blood Punch or enough fuel for Chainsaw so I would generally just try and hope for the best.

Will have a break now but will definitely go back to find the secrets, final the Slayer Gates I missed etc. 

The thing I always forget is triangle (PS4) to get bloody armour drops. The lack of shotgun ammo capacity is still the only thing that annoys me, overall though, it has been pretty great up to where I am now.

If I had criticisms, the jumping puzzles seem to be there for the sake of it. There was one towards the end of the penultimate level (the one where you have to align the three rings) where I nearly jacked it in.

the one where you have to shoot one of the green symbols in mid air to open a door thing? I was positive I was missing an obvious way to do that, failed it a good 20 times.

32 minutes ago, Bonzai1888 said:

The thing I always forget is triangle (PS4) to get bloody armour drops. The lack of shotgun ammo capacity is still the only thing that annoys me, overall though, it has been pretty great up to where I am now.

It took me until halfway through the game to get into the habit of regularly flame mulch-ing for armour, but it makes a huge difference when you do.

However I never bothered with the Ice Grenades at all, and a good number my blood punches were accidental because I never paid any attention to whether it was charged until it was upgraded to be after every melee kill. 

I’m still playing this; going back and using the cheats to get all the collectibles. Loved so much I managed to snag an X collectors edition on EBay. Sending my copy to my brother who I reckon will love it. Makes 2016 look like a prototype.

• Upvote 2

My son wants this digitally, and it seems cheapest on G2a. Are they reliable for download codes, or should i just stick to CD Keys?

Don't want to buy one of those codes where you just get someone else's account details.

EDIT - went with CD keys for the sake of £4.

On 27/04/2020 at 17:00, Mr Combo Breaker said:

the one where you have to shoot one of the green symbols in mid air to open a door thing? I was positive I was missing an obvious way to do that, failed it a good 20 times.

That was the one. Don’t know how many times it took me.

i thought I was clever by sniping it before the first jump but it resets after a few seconds.

Recently started playing on PS4. The state of the text in this, especially the button contexts, its a joke. 

spacer.png

• Upvote 2

It doesn't take long, maybe the 2nd mission half way through, where you go from "this is great" to "this is terrible", and from then on in it ying and yangs between both states.

I think I lasted 30 minutes play today in mission 3 and turned it off.

The game seems to have lost its sense of humour too

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1