Jump to content
rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

Recommended Posts

I do have to say, that even though it was quite enjoyable, I do not understand the gushing administration towards Titanfall 2’s campaign. 
 

Its pretttyyy pretttyyyy... pretty good! 
 

Doom Eternal on the other hand is complete fucking nuts and a seriously intense ride. By far stilling up top as my current GOTY. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2020 at 20:36, Kevvy Metal said:


What the fuck?


Eh. It’s just a bit boring. Press the button to get ammo/health/armour every time it’s off cooldown and don’t stop moving. That’s about it. Too many upgrade systems and not enough scope for player expression. All the guns feel quite pad focused, though you guys playing it on pads are mad heroes. You literally can’t jump and turn at the same time, how are you managing?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moz said:


Eh. It’s just a bit boring. Press the button to get ammo/health/armour every time it’s off cooldown and don’t stop moving. That’s about it. Too many upgrade systems and not enough scope for player expression. All the guns feel quite pad focused, though you guys playing it on pads are mad heroes. You literally can’t jump and turn at the same time, how are you managing?!

Buttons underneath the controller.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Moz said:


Eh. It’s just a bit boring. Press the button to get ammo/health/armour every time it’s off cooldown and don’t stop moving. That’s about it. Too many upgrade systems and not enough scope for player expression. All the guns feel quite pad focused, though you guys playing it on pads are mad heroes. You literally can’t jump and turn at the same time, how are you managing?!


I just do not understand, but each to their own. This game is like the opposite of boring and I’m finding it the most kinetic and frantic thing ever.
 

...and yeah, button expansion! *chef’s kiss. Why not try it with a pad? The game might feel different for you.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:


I just do not understand, but each to their own. This game is like the opposite of boring and I’m finding it the most kinetic and frantic thing ever.
 

...and yeah, button expansion! *chef’s kiss. Why not try it with a pad? The game might feel different for you.  

 

April fools was yesterday mate.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Moz said:

 

April fools was yesterday mate.

 

That was a legit suggestion if you're finding it all too easy and are "bored" zipping about with your mouse and keyboard. 

But you do you as per. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be a weird question, but does it feel vaguely reminiscent of a fighting game when you play it with a pad?  I got the vague sense that the systems they're leaning into with this one are inspired by them, with all the emphasis on timed staggering, building up sequences of preset moves etc. 

 

I don't play fighting games though so I'm probably talking bollocks!

 

edit: I just realised I mean fighting games not "beat 'em ups". I'm so old :facepalm:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also just in case anyone else had this - if you're on the Steam version and are getting weirdly poor performance, try turning the Steam FPS counter off if you've got it on. Known issue, instant 15-20fps boost!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally much prefer the controller experience here FWIW. Aiming is fine but the main reason I like it is that punching and chainsawing has much more physicality on a pad than tapping a key. Plus rumble.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PK said:

This might be a weird question, but does it feel vaguely reminiscent of a beat 'em up when you play it with a pad?  I got the vague sense that the systems they're leaning into with this one are beat 'em up inspired, with all the emphasis on timed staggering, building up sequences of preset moves etc. 

 

I don't play beat 'em ups though so I'm probably talking bollocks!

Yes, this is exactly it. There's a physicality to your game world interaction with the pad that is missing with M+K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Moz said:

You literally can’t jump and turn at the same time, how are you managing?!


You definitely can.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each to their own, but all the console gameplay I've seen of this has been laugh-out-loud funny.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

II’ve just finished Doom 2016 which I loved and gave now jumped into this. Early days - but I’m finding it quite mentally tough at the moment as they really have leaned into the constant monitoring of the three systems of health, ammo and shield regeneration which I’m finding akin to plate spinning whilst avoiding tigers on fire running around a room. Just constantly keeping check of the systems is taking me out of the joy of demon slaying.

 

I hope this feels second nature after a while so I can settle into the game. It looks absolutely  gorgeous and the parts where it slows down for lore and exploration are great but the ramp up from ‘here’s your demon killing tool set’ to putting it in action is a steep curve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, macosx said:

II’ve just finished Doom 2016 which I loved and gave now jumped into this. Early days - but I’m finding it quite mentally tough at the moment as they really have leaned into the constant monitoring of the three systems of health, ammo and shield regeneration which I’m finding akin to plate spinning whilst avoiding tigers on fire running around a room. Just constantly keeping check of the systems is taking me out of the joy of demon slaying.

 

I hope this feels second nature after a while so I can settle into the game. It looks absolutely  gorgeous and the parts where it slows down for lore and exploration are great but the ramp up from ‘here’s your demon killing tool set’ to putting it in action is a steep curve.

 

I find that you don't need to check reserves much once you get into a rhythm, especially health as there's an incredibly annoying red-tint on the HUD when you're in trouble which gives me a mental prompt that I need some glory kills. I tend to chainsaw imps and basic demons on an instinctive mental timer now just to keep my ammo stocks plentiful and it's also gives you a temporary "pause" of the action which is useful. 

 

But it's plate-spinning as you say - glorious plate-spinning. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The melee I'll grant you but not sure how pressing a face button to play the chainsaw animation is much more 'physical' than pressing a key.

 

Being able to turn and aim at things at the speed the game was designed for is less of a ballache than constantly juggling the multiple 'helper' functions the game is loaded up with just to make it manageable with a pad (infinite grenades and freeze bombs, glory kill and chainsaw warping and invulnerability, crucible, bfg, extra lives, OP sticky bombs, blood punch, dash, slowdown and grappling hook). Operating the Doomguy as a one-man-band of special attacks is fun in its own way but it gets physically tiring later on!

 

Also, the (default) stick deadzones are weird. You're either barely creeping forward or (for the other 90% of the stick distance) lurching around erratically like a newborn deer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The airborne slow-mo rune helps when playing on a pad, but to be honest I found I didn't really feel the need to do any crazy mid-air head-spinning manoeuvres. Fair enough, I won't be compiling any crazy shotgun chain-linking videos anytime soon but I finished it on Ultra-Violence just by using the jumps and dash to relocate myself and taking care of almost everything else from the ground.

 

The only time I wished I had the accuracy of a mouse was when the Marauder would dash behind me, he must be far easier on PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate marauders. One of the secret slayer missions is to kill one in 30seconds too. Nope, can't do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get the hate for this at all really. It's wonderful carnage. It's certainly difficult in parts, but it's the sort of gameplay I don't mind repeating. I just got the super shotgun and I'm having a literal and metaphorical blast. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went back to 2016 after finishing this.

 

Nope. Big nope. Feels primitive. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/04/2020 at 18:59, Moz said:

Each to their own, but all the console gameplay I've seen of this has been laugh-out-loud funny.


you say that like it’s a bad thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Went back to 2016 after finishing this.

 

Nope. Big nope. Feels primitive. 


Which one does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Strafe said:


Which one does?

2016

 

I appreciate some people may love the simplicity - but I love the additional speed, brutality and combat options of Eternal

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Uzi said:

2016

 

I appreciate some people may love the simplicity - but I love the additional speed, brutality and combat options of Eternal


I just gave 2016 a go on gamepass and I agree, it feels very watered down in comparison 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have to say playing on the easiest setting is still pretty tough, but is a totally different game. No shame in my game and would sooner have fun and enjoy it than tear my hair out and leave it to die.

 

Really found the rhythm with the game now and thoroughly enjoying it. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I played the first few levels on "Hurt Me Plenty" but had to drop it down in one section. Then unfortunately forgot to bump it back up again. Still found it pretty difficult anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m playing this on Hurt Me Plenty and it feels the right level for me; a few goes to get the flow of the combat arenas and and I’m good to go. I was worried about this at the start as it seemed so tricky with all the moves, but now when I get into the flow it feels sublime. 
 

I live the quiet breaks for puzzles and exploring too, the whole thing feels super polished and much more rounded than the 2016, which I felt had too much repetition at the end. Loving this!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Uzi said:

2016

 

I appreciate some people may love the simplicity - but I love the additional speed, brutality and combat options of Eternal

 

I clocked 2016 on switch a few weeks back and now playing Eternal on ps4 feels like the logical continuation. 2016 turned up even further. Yeah it's quite tough in parts, but I personally don't mind replaying sections. I'm having as much fun as I did with 2016 and kinda baffled at the lukewarm reception in here. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, macosx said:

I’m playing this on Hurt Me Plenty and it feels the right level for me; a few goes to get the flow of the combat arenas and and I’m good to go. I was worried about this at the start as it seemed so tricky with all the moves, but now when I get into the flow it feels sublime. 
 

I live the quiet breaks for puzzles and exploring too, the whole thing feels super polished and much more rounded than the 2016, which I felt had too much repetition at the end. Loving this!

 

me too.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm tempted to get this from cd keys for £28 but got so many other games on the go.  Nice evolution of the Doom monsters video:

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.