Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

Yeah, I'm playing in HDR. My grievances are  more to do with the overall art style than anything technical though, it runs beautifully.

Top tip: The UAC colour scheme for the UI is much nicer than the default one, you can change it in the options.

1 hour ago, Hass said:

Are you playing it in HDR? I think it looks amazing

I'm playing it on a very decent for HDR 65Q9FN TV (not for much longer mind, gonna take the jump to a stupidly sized oled with HDMI 2.1 soon) and the HDR is up there with GT Sport. At 4K ultra settings I have to say it looks phenomenal to my eyes. I'm loving not only the fidelity but the actual graphical style of the game. 

The more I play the more I love it. Can definitely see why lovers of 2016 are a little pissed but I'm even enjoying the jumping and exploration. If it wasn't for Half Life Alyx it would definitely be my favourite game of 2020 so far.

38 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Yeah, I'm playing in HDR. My grievances are  more to do with the overall art style than anything technical though, it runs beautifully.

Top tip: The UAC colour scheme for the UI is much nicer than the default one, you can change it in the options.

Fair do's. I think the first chapter (? the bit up to the first boss) feels fairly inconsistent from an art direction perspective. Super Gore Nest is awesome though, a proper visualisation of hell-on-earth. 

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

Agree with this, it's ugly as sin. Looks more like a sequel to Shadow Warrior than Doom 2016. Harsh, oversaturated, overly busy, lack of cohesion and no restraint.

I quite enjoy the actual combat but I've just met the Marauder so that might be about to change.

The chainsaw is useless against big ticket enemies now, because you have to rely on it so much you almost never have three fuel cans. I think it would work better if all three gauges refilled slowly, so you could 'charge' it up if you wanted to use it. Either that or only one gauge refills, but you only need one pickup to kill heavies. Regardless the balance feels off and the need for three cans feels arbitrary at the moment, like it's stuck between the new mechanic and the old mechanic.

Are you playing it @Vemsie? How far through if so?

Sentinel Prime. I can't play FPS'es for too long, as I get motion sickness unfortunately. But I can play this better than most FPS'es as it's so fast and hectic and demands constant focus, which works for me. Hunting secrets in cleared areas fucks me up though. :(

Halfway through the 3rd level and I’m done as it’s frustratingly difficult, every time I battle more than a few enemies I’m dying over and over again. I felt like Doom(2016) had the difficulty curve just right where it was tough near the end of the game but I never felt frustrated when I died however this has annoyed me more than any game I have played in the last few years. Not worth it as I have a big backlog that needs playing and Resident Evil 3 Remake out next week.

11 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

Halfway through the 3rd level and I’m done as it’s frustratingly difficult, every time I battle more than a few enemies I’m dying over and over again. I felt like Doom(2016) had the difficulty curve just right where it was tough near the end of the game but I never felt frustrated when I died however this has annoyed me more than any game I have played in the last few years. Not worth it as I have a big backlog that needs playing and Resident Evil 3 Remake out next week.

Have you tried it on the easiest difficulty yet?

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Have you tried it on the easiest difficulty yet?

No but I had no issues playing on normal on Doom(2016), I may come back to it at some point and try again on easier difficulty but for now I’m going to move on.

Finished on ultra violence (apart from the last boss, which I dropped down a level but don't tell anyone) and I thought it was great. There are some odd decisions in there which have already been mentioned but i'm not against repeating stuff.

The marauder is no fun to fight since it just seems to force you to clear out the room and then stare at it for a bit until it decides to attack. I was hoping it would behave more like the player, swapping weapons often, jumping about the place, being super fast. I was expecting it to be a fully fledged character based on the trailers too.

The purple goo. Literally just there to be annoying.

The UAC hologram. It wasn't funny the first time, never mind the 50th.

Tone wise I think they leaned too heavily into the meme of the doom guy. Doom 2016 was ludicrous but it played it straight, there's a bit too much winking at the camera involved in this one. I was laughing at his little office thing but probably not for the right reasons.

Other than that, good stuff, would play again.

I seem to be at the point of no return. Thank you to whoever pointed out you can change the UI. It’s so much better now.

I also got some headphones yesterday, so can play with virtual surround and the volume turned up and the audio is brilliant.

I’ve given up on the plot completely. The scrolling text is presented horribly and is an absolute chore to read. It’s not even tongue in cheek, as with the first game. It’s just totally straight Doom fanfic.

It's been interesting reading back through the last few pages of this thread. I think it's fair to say it's a pretty divisive game.

I played Doom 2016 about two years after release, and while I enjoyed it I didn't lose my shit over it as much as some people did, but then I didn't think Titanfall 2 was as amazing as it was made out to be, either. Come to think of it, the last FPS I thought was properly excellent was probably something like Portal 2, which isn't even an FPS, really. 

Anyway, seeing as I bought the 2016 game for all of £5, I reckon I'll wait for this to haemorrhage in price, as Bethesda's games tend to do.

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

It's been interesting reading back through the last few pages of this thread. I think it's fair to say it's a pretty divisive game.

Mostly on here it seems. On places like Steam, Era, Reddit and MC, the reception is overwhelmingly positive. It does seem to get the most love from PC players though, probably because, well, it plays best on PC.

I fucking love it. It's tough as old boots but fair in its toughness. Suss out the foe and the arena and what shit to use to win and it's a sublime battle.

I love 2016 but clearing some of the enemy encounters here is intense and gratifying to all hell and in some cases beats the previous game, for me of course.

Absolutely love it.

I'm on the last level now (I think) and it's becoming a bit of a slog. Unless I'm missing something entirely about how to play it, there's absolutely no way I could manage Ultra Violence. It'd be such an uphill struggle.

At the moment totems, Archviles and Marauders are no fun at all and just feel like ways to artificially ramp up the difficulty. What is the point in a super weapon if the most annoying and overpowered enemies in the game are immune to it?

I think they could have made the combat far more interesting if they had:

• Let you equip more than 3 runes at once (ideally all of them. I don't think you'd be overpowered if you had them all).
  • Not made every single Praetor suit upgrade completely crap
  • Let you have more ammo
  • Tried to put a few more core combat mechanics in there, or failing that, more interesting enemies. The flame burst is nice, but it's just a way of generating armour. It doesn't change the core loop of - "run away from enemies while shooting at them, use glory kills as a short reprieve with a few invincibility frames and a health pickup."

so...just started...here's my initial thoughts...

WTF!?! is it worth carrying on??

why can i only carry 16 shells?! why is the shotgun on 1? why does a basic enemy seem to be able to kill me in 3 hits, but i cant kill him by punching with my giant armoured fist!?! just...what!?!

21 hours ago, Vemsie said:

It does seem to get the most love from PC players though, probably because, well, it plays best on PC.

I started playing it on PC but stopped as it is dogshit bad.

17 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Captain Hyperbole strikes again!

What do you mean by again?

What do you mean hyperbole?

For me it has gotten just about everything wrong that DOOM 2016 got gloriously right. It's DOOM by committee and I cannot recall my high expectations of a game being so far from the low reality.

I dropped it down to the easiest difficulty setting today. It was getting a little frustrating, and to be honest with all the crap that's going on in the world right now I just want an easy escape from reality now and then. Not having this game kick my ass helps in that regard :lol:

28 minutes ago, Mike S said:

What do you mean by again?

What do you mean hyperbole?

For me it has gotten just about everything wrong that DOOM 2016 got gloriously right. It's DOOM by committee and I cannot recall my high expectations of a game being so far from the low reality.

Similarly, there have only been a few games which have disappointed me as much as this:

ISS on the GameCube which was meant to be the next gen follow up to the greatest ever footy games made, the ISS N64 games, but instead was shit and played like the PS versions. 

Mario Kart Double Dash for obvious reasons

Super Mario Sunshine which was no Mario 64

So in Doom 2016 you started off with 20 shells and by the end of the game you carried 60.

In Doom Eternal you start off with 16 shells, and by the end of the game, with fully upgraded ammo, you carry... 24. The equivalent of 12 shots of the Super Shotgun. The Marauder alone takes more hits than that to kill, and he becomes a semi-regular enemy later on. I know it’s to encourage MOBA-style farming but it’s a bit much.

I’m on the last mission on Ultra-Violence and while I’ve come to terms with the pace of the combat, and actually quite like most the additions they’ve made to it, I still think they’ve well and truly thrown the baby out with the bathwater with regards to everything else. The plot, the complete change of tone, the music, the platforming, the level design, etc. It’s all a step backwards. 

It’s also one of those games that gets perversely easier the further you get into it. This is partially adjusting to the pace of the game, but also by the end you have more ammo, more health and multiple room-clearing super weapons of which the ammo is in semi-regular supply. It feels like you barely get any upgrades for two thirds of the game then get loads towards the end. They do start throwing boss after boss at you but I’ve not died anywhere near as much as I did early on. 

Edited by CarloOos

Ive given up , its gone, its just...not fun! in the way doom was!

The most impressive thing, well its was a small install and download!

12 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I'm just going to be honest and say that this is Titanfall 2 levels of brilliance for me. Once you get it drilled into your head that you should be chainsawing and flamethrowering grunts proactively rather than as a top up when you run out, it just becomes utterly sublime. 

I also absolutely love it and find it superior to 2016 in pretty much every way. This is all on console as well, I love the plate spinning aspect to it all. 

Was watching this yesterday and I forgot how red and brown 2016 was. Sure, it's consistent but I much prefer the variety and colours on display in Eternal.

I finished this last night and on the whole, really enjoyed it. The latter half of the game is far less visually and thematically jarring and mostly gets back to just being Doom.

The last level just chucks loads of super weapon ammo at you, and I think it’s meant to be a bit of a power trip, but I didn’t use a lot of it and I was always saving it for difficult encounters that never materialised. It was nowhere near as hard as some of the Nekravol and other encounters.

The bosses in this are all crap, though. Every one of them. Nothing like any of the bosses in 2016.

I made a real error buying this for PS4 Pro instead of holding off until I had a decent PC GPU to run it. It's so obviously balanced for keyboard and mouse, just like 2016 was. At standard difficulty it was kicking my arse before the half way mark, but at easy difficulty it's just a walkover. Ho hum.

It's such a weird game. I think overall it's better in terms of how combat plays than Doom 2016. The range of enemies and the increased importance of harvesting resources stop you just getting complacent and hammering everything with the same one or two weapon mods.

It's a shame that the emphasis on 'bigger, prettier, more' while having to fit into the same specs as the last game inevitably has led to lots of compromises. The level design is a massive step back. There's almost nothing that feels like a proper, interconnected classic Doom level like e.g. Foundry in 2016. Most of the levels are long strings of arena-platforming-arena where you can't even go back to the earlier bits. Technically I guess you could say these are bigger levels as they claimed prelaunch, but it's a bit cheesy.

Enemy models and animations are less detailed (the 'blowing chunks off' new effect looks great though). The style and quality of the art really varies between levels as well, it really does feel like separate teams made different parts of the game without much communication. The crazy fantasy environments and hell look amazing for the most part. The Earth levels (particularly Arc HQ and the Final Sin buildings) look utterly terrible, like they've been hastily put together with a limited art budget. And for all this boasting of a huge detail increase over 2016, organic stuff frequently looks lumpy and low res, like it's not loading in all the way. Every bit of indulgence has been trimmed. No more characterful first person animations to mark key moments. No more rooms set up to show off fancy volumetric lighting. No more particle effects (well hardly any). Lots and lots of rotationally symmetrical chambers.

I did enjoy that the id game it seems to have drawn most inspiration from this time is Q3A. Both in gameplay (jump pads etc.) and the super-slick, shiny metal gothic architecture. The Fortress of Doom is massively evocative of this. There are lovely subtle nostalgic nods (room layouts, scenery props) to almost every id game scattered around the levels as well.

The platforming though is just shite - a cheap lazy way to connect areas together without having to build vehicular sequences or scripted animations. It's technically broken as well: will pressing the dash button fire once or twice? Will this climbable wall's hitbox suck the slayer in from 20 meters away, or not react as you pound dash and melee while touching it? Will this collapsing platform return to where it's meant to be after falling, or just stay at the bottom of the pit requiring a manual reload?

Trying to build a dungeons and dragons epic plot around Doom was a mistake. We've no idea what the stakes are. What the rules are. Only right at the end do they make a concerted effort to set up the Makyr as the baddies. I think the mistake id/bethesda have made was listening to feedback after Doom 2016. The whole reason 2016 worked was that the slayer DIDN'T have a backstory, he just hatched into the world and started kicking fuck out of everything. All the 'meme' humour and satire was pretty feeble, so of course it's all back here and pushed even harder. "Rip and tear" isn't funny. "Mortally challenged" isn't funny. But they're dished out over and over and OVER again like some dweeb still saying "the cake is a lie!" five years after the fact.

There are little glimmers of a more interesting or coherent story at certain moments. You have to wonder how much was planned that got cut.

This all sounds rather negative. It's still a brilliant game, easily better than 90% of the single player FPS stuff out there. But if they do another one I hope they just bin off all the plot stuff they've set up here and go back to basics.