rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

So I'm really enjoying this, but it feels like it's being held back by the lack of ammo and how weak / fuel scarce the chainsaw is. I got absolutely hammered at the Cultist Base, needing thirty odd attempts to clear the arena area just before the bridge. I'm only playing on "normal" so it felt overly punishing and a huge part of the frustration was how often I'd find myself without ammo and couldn't slice 'em up with the chainsaw.

I actually like the platforming and have no problem with it. It's not Mirror's Edge, but it has a similar flavour to Titanfall 2's movement about it. I think TF2 did it better, but Doom does enough to make use of the open, vertical arenas, which are its main set pieces.

Yeah, it looks good, moves well and the shooting is still really satisfying, but if they'd made it a shade easier and been more generous with the ammo, I think it ID could have delivered a game which would have put a few more smiles on faces. Plenty more to go though, at least you can drop down a difficulty peg without trouble.

5 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

So I'm really enjoying this, but it feels like it's being held back by the lack of ammo and how weak / fuel scarce the chainsaw is. I got absolutely hammered at the Cultist Base, needing thirty odd attempts to clear the arena area just before the bridge. I'm only playing on "normal" so it felt overly punishing and a huge part of the frustration was how often I'd find myself without ammo and couldn't slice 'em up with the chainsaw.

I actually like the platforming and have no problem with it. It's not Mirror's Edge, but it has a similar flavour to Titanfall 2's movement about it. I think TF2 did it better, but Doom does enough to make use of the open, vertical arenas, which are its main set pieces.

Yeah, it looks good, moves well and the shooting is still really satisfying, but if they'd made it a shade easier and been more generous with the ammo, I think it ID could have delivered a game which would have put a few more smiles on faces. Plenty more to go though, at least you can drop down a difficulty peg without trouble.

With the chainsaw you'll always get one charge (which recharges) for the fodder such as zombies or imps.  You'll always be able to get ammo from those though it can be hectic in the middle of a fight trying to find one, but the game does always spawn them constantly for you to get.  The fuel's really only for anything bigger than that. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, mr_woo said:

With the chainsaw you'll always get one charge (which recharges) for the fodder such as zombies or imps.  You'll always be able to get ammo from those though it can be hectic in the middle of a fight trying to find one, but the game does always spawn them constantly for you to get.  The fuel's really only for anything bigger than that. 

Cool, thanks for that. It's a more complicated game than I remember Doom '16 being, in terms of mechanisms and upgrades.

Oh and one other niggle, does anyone find the in-game text tiny? I've been looking for a way to increase it, but to no avail. I'm not talking about the subtitles, but the little hint and direction boxes which pick up. I'm squinting all over the place trying to see them on my set.

This is so fucking good. 

Jesus Christ, Nightmare difficulty is an absolute blast. It is so goddamn difficult. Running around like an absolute mentalist and it's literally brain damaging. I can already feel my reflexes getting better. The combat is so well thought out and comes together.

Mouse and keyboard could be a strong recommend, I reckon. Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I also completed the original Doom 2016 first with a gamepad, and then got the PC version and it was a revelation. 

I feel like I've snorted eight pints of blood, some cum and a labia.

• Upvote 6

Despite playing on PC I've switched to the Xbox pad for this, the platforming sections and having to use chainsaw all the time just to get ammo and the flamethrower to get armour feels much easier for me to remember when the abilities are assigned to main face buttons rather than keys that in many other FPS games would be side-options. I get what they're going for, making you use all of your abilities and switching between them all the time but comapred to Doom 2016 it's just needlessly fussy. So far it makes me feel more like a character that would be referred to as "Rookie" in any other FPS rather than the Doom Slayer. I really hope they do some balace adjustment because it seems like it would be so easy to fix with an increase in resource drops and damage reduction on the normal/lower difficulty levels. 

It's shit that the map is totally broken in HDR. It's not absolutely necessary but if you want to actually hunt for the secrets then you're out of luck, I've no idea how something so blatant was missed in testing.

5 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

Cool, thanks for that. It's a more complicated game than I remember Doom '16 being, in terms of mechanisms and upgrades.

Oh and one other niggle, does anyone find the in-game text tiny? I've been looking for a way to increase it, but to no avail. I'm not talking about the subtitles, but the little hint and direction boxes which pick up. I'm squinting all over the place trying to see them on my set.

There’s a HUD Scale option in the settings you can set to large. I did this and it’s much better. 

• Upvote 1

I'm ashamed to say I stuck this on the lowest difficulty setting. Its like Doom 16 now! Ammo is a little better but no more bullet sponge enemies and I'm flying around feeling like a bad-ass.

Now I only need to deal with the guilt...

• Upvote 3

I do wonder if people who are struggling with the difficulty are just not making full use of all the new stuff. They clearly want you chainsawing quite frequently. When you set up a flame burst grenade combo and make it rain pickups amidst an insanely frantic firefight, it is genuinely brilliant. 

I’m at the Arc Complex and was in a fight that was pretty tough and then found a berserk pickup which was amazing. Killed so many of those snake things and a Cyber Mancubus which would have made my life so much more difficult. 

I recently went back to 2016 and tried to play it on Ultraviolence and it feels like the game people are describing when they say bulletsponges and lack of ammo. The ammo is scarce in this, but you are supposed to be chainsawing all over the shop and flipping through weapons as a result. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I do wonder if people who are struggling with the difficulty are just not making full use of all the new stuff.

I think that's true, but still feel there should also be a difficulty in between easy and normal.

Funny that because I played 2016 yesterday to double check I wasn't going crazy and beat the first level on Ultra Nightmare for the trophy. I never ran out of shotgun ammo once, no enemies spawned up my ass or dropped on my head, and every time I got killed (which was about a dozen times as it's the hardest difficulty) was because I fucked up. The game looks clean, consistent, you find things like keycards in the game world on bodies, same with weapons, you have a clear motive from the off, Doom slayer wastes no time in showing how little he cares. All the cutscenes are in the first person, and the design of the Foundry level alone trumps any of this 'Super Mario in Hell' nonsense that Eternal is full off. 

I got to chapter 6 in Eternal before tapping out. Doomguy hasn't done anything funny or memorable at all. There's story, presented with zero context, there's no urge to push and see what happens because NOTHING has happened. The game world, feels like a videogame. Its full of floating spinning pickups like a Quake map. If you think of Doom and think of this

resizedimage640360-DOOM-Eternal-Screensh

then I just don't know what to say. There's SO MUCH platforming it's almost unreal. They give you a double jump and a double air dash and fill swathes of levels with purple muck you can't even run in, never mind jump out of.

Whoever said they were getting Halo 2 vibes earlier absolutely nailed it. Doom Eternal has an absolute ton of new stuff compared to 2016 and it's all hideous, superfluous guff. Swap out find the Hell Priests for the Prophets and it's almost the same thing. You go through a teleporter from your random, unexplained floating DOOM FORTRESS to yet another unconnected level. 2016 , end of chapter load screens aside, feels like a proper journey through a facility on mars so when you do go to HELL it's a pretty big deal but it all makes sense in the context of the game at that point in time.

I got the Chaingun earlier which should be a proper power weapon 'bring it on' moment, and the first demon it drops on you soaks up every single one it's bullets like it's a tickle gun. I bought DOOM Eternal expecting a solid follow up to 2016, playing as the hardest space marine to walk the earth, who demons fear, and instead, I've got a platformer with the occasional shooting sections where you feel like a fuckin' wimp...and that's the biggest mistake of all of it.

• Upvote 5

Kin el, getting my arsed handed to me now. Been stuck on a certain level for a good couple of hours. 
The barrage of nasties is just nuts. Love it though. 

• Upvote 1

I agree totally about the levels feeling unconnected. I don’t like how doors close behind you to prevent backtracking, either (I haven’t found out how fast travel works, either). Not a fan of the story or change of tone, either. Mars was a much better and consistent place than the various locations you’re visiting here. 

But I like the first person platforming for the most part and don’t find it difficult at all. It’s a nice break in what would otherwise just feel like an arena shooter. I also don’t get the issues with difficulty on Hurt Me Plenty. I die maybe once per level. 

The chain gun comment is particularly odd because I thought the whole point of that guy who spawns is to show how quickly the chaingun annihilates him. 

A lot of enemies can be bullet sponges if you don’t use the right weapon or go for their weakpoints, I’ll give you that. This is mainly an issue with the Mancubus. 

Also I thought the whole point of the purple goo is to make you navigate over it with your double jump and boosts, not to render them useless. 

I hit that guy with probably 80% rounds on target, taking swathes of flesh of him and he didn't even drop into glory kill state before it ran out of bullets. And every single upgrade I've found so far I've pumped into more ammo, so now I can carry a decent amount of bullets , but at the cost of any health or armour improvement.

I've ditched it now though so won't moan up the thread any longer, but fuck me if I'd have paid £60 digital for this I'd have been fucking livid.

• Upvote 2

That’s very odd. I used about a third of the ammo I can carry (150 rounds) and killed him so quickly I couldn’t glory kill him. 

Well I picked it up digital and I am delighted with it. None of the complaints people are making are unjustified though, I have seen or experienced a lot of the things being moaned about. It’s just.... they don’t take anything away from the game IMO and I have yet to play out a single battle where I didn’t have at least one or two moments of “that was fucking awesome”.

If there was one fault I could put forward it’s the sheer volume of tools at your disposal early on and it all seeming a bit disjointed at first, but once I got my head around the purpose of each mechanic the battles became even more fun. If you use everything you have properly then you should never be without health, armour or ammo... it just takes a lot of subtle thinking ahead in amongst the chaos to do it effectively.

• Upvote 2

Thing is, Titanfall 2 came out almost four years ago and absolutely nailed in-universe first person platforming. It never wrestled control from you like the clunky clamber mechanic in this, and the level design never resorted to filling each level with completely incongruous Mario-style elements like fireball launchers. This kind of thing of thing can be done well, and has been done well before. Hell, even Doom 2016 had some decent platforming sections in it.

They've done such an unnecessarily shit job of it that I'm genuinely fascinated to know who's responsible for certain decisions behind the scenes, because this really doesn’t feel like a game designed by the same people. Maybe Machine Games did have a big influence after all.

• Upvote 5

I think, more than anything else, I hate the UAC hologram. Everything she has to say is basically the same and it’s so incredibly played out, even at the beginning of the game, but they stick her in wherever possible.

I don’t know how well this mirrors your experience, @Down by Law  I made a mess of the first guy and missed like half the shots but i thought the second guy went down nice and quick. 

I'm at the Cultist Base and I just can't be arsed. It's not a particularly good game, and it sure as hell isn't Doom.

There was a great sense of progression through the Mars base in 2016, and I was really hoping for something similar but on Earth. I don't even feel like I'm on Earth at all - just some weird disconnected levels with me feeling nothing but panic during most encounters as my health evaporates due to the sheer amount of shit thrown at me. It no longer feels like a place, and I no longer feel like DEATH INCARNATE.

I honestly feel like I did when I started playing Darksiders 2. Endless lore that I didn't give a fuck about, set in wherever-the-fuck-who-cares.

Unfortunately, due to the baffling review scores, this is no doubt a sign to id that this is the direction to go in for the future.

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Meh said:

Unfortunately, due to the baffling review scores, this is no doubt a sign to id that this is the direction to go in for the future.

I don't really read reviews any more,  but have have found the disparity between critical response and player response even more jarring than normal here. Obviously reviews are subjective, but several people here independently made almost identical observations about the platforming, level design, aesthetic etc, yet I've barely seen any mention of these from the press. Wonder what Edge will make of it.

Edge give every Media Molecule release 10/10 so are well versed in chasmic disparities between press and player responses.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, PyramidFace said:

Edge give every Media Molecule release 10/10 so are well versed in chasmic disparities between press and player responses.

Only the second time and from what I can see, players are very enthusiastic about Dreams as well. Then again, I'm seeing lots of love for DOOM Eternal as well, particularly from PC players.

Every time I think I'm turning a corner on it I'll get stuck on a bit of scenery during combat, or hit an invisible wall whilst platforming, or caught under a Cacodemon on a bounce pad, or forced to trudge slowly through purple goop shooting tentacles that belong in Black Mesa (or all four in the last 30 minutes).

For a game that's been in the oven for four years it feels surprisingly janky, although most it comes back to the level design.

Just got around to starting Doom Eternal on PS4 and noticed there is no way to start the game without creating a Bethesda account if connected to internet, pretty crappy thing to do. I will play the game without connecting to internet and sell as soon as I have completed the single player campaign.

Really enjoying this now. There's plenty of ammo once you factor the chainsaw into your muscle memory along with harvesting armour using the flame thrower. It's got some great arenas too. I'm actually enjoying the platforming sections now that I've got the hang of the momentum plus they get easier with the rune that gives you better control in the air.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

Just got around to starting Doom Eternal on PS4 and noticed there is no way to start the game without creating a Bethesda account if connected to internet, pretty crappy thing to do. I will play the game without connecting to internet and sell as soon as I have completed the single player campaign.

They've been doing that for a while. With Evil Within 2 you can't play Akumu mode unless you sign in.

After originally buying the Stadia version I ended up buying the Xbox One X version to see how it compares. 

tl;dr is that the One X version feels much better and I much prefer it. I was struggling on Hurt Me Plenty on Stadia but now I'm flying through Ultra Violence on the One X. Controls just feel heavy on Stadia and this game requires precision and flow. Graphics look the same to me, using controller in big cases.

It's an interesting use case for Stadia overall because the latency delay doesn't manifest as problematic for slower paced games like D2. But in this instance it really damages the feeling of flow you get when you're charging around an arena. The loading times on Xbox One X are also really good, not much difference between the two.

Playing this on my ultrawide and the screen flickers black for like 3 seconds every several seconds. Really annoying.

DOOM did this as well when i tried a few days back. Anyone had this?

I think I’m on the second half of the game and the story in this is just unintelligible. I’ve no idea what’s going on at all. 

Not only that, but it reminds me of Halo. Remember how amazing it was going around Halo CE looking at all the forerunner architecture, wondering what it all was? And then they went and explained it all and absolutely ruined it. 

This is like that except no one ever wondered where the demons came from or what their backstory is. 

• Upvote 2