rllmuk
RubberJohnny

Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

This is a weird game. Ammo is very scarce, you just can't carry enough to deal with the onslaught of enemies who do an absurd amount of damage and you are completely mobbed from the off. One second you got full health and armor and two seconds later the screens flashing red and you don't know what hit you. I'm getting serious wolfenstein 2 vibes so far. Hope it's just struggling to find it's feet. 

Do you not get ammo from glory kills like the 2016 one?

Dunno about mobbed from the off. During the first 30 mins it spams tutorial screens whenever you do anything. What are you playing on?

Hurt me plenty, I'm on chapter 4. You can use the chainsaw, but that gives like 16 shotty rounds and 30 hmg bullets. You might not even stun a baron or arachnotron with that lot and there are plenty of them. You'll see what I mean when you start getting into the thick of it. Running around waiting for the chainsaw to cool down like a demonic Benny hill doesn't really make you feel like a badass. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Harsin said:

In the first one I liked the occasional hint In the collectibles about how you were just the original Doomguy still lumbered with fighting demons across the multiverse all this time later, Ash from Evil Dead style. I really didn’t need more than that,

Yeah, that was absolutely brilliant, because it fit with what we already knew, or just built on it. This one goes much further to explain who you are, what you were doing, etc.

I’m only on Chapter 3 (hurt me plenty) but haven’t struggled with the difficulty so far, but agree the ammo feels very restricted. 

• Upvote 1

Did 2016 have a blaster with unlimited ammo? Feels like I’m wasting shotgun shells on grunts because you don’t seem to be able to just punch them.

Agree with the comments so far - this is gonna be a divisive one for sure, it feels very different from 2016 in quite a few ways that are hard to put your finger on at first.

It's definitely a lot stingier with ammo, even using glory kills, and as mentioned above you quite often end up just running away from stuff waiting for a timer to refill. The bigger enemies seem pretty bullet spongy too, and its not uncommon to burn all your ammo on one and then have to run around trying to hide while you refill it, before returning to to finish them off later.

I'm only two levels in but there are already a lot of abilities/perks/alt-fire modes to keep in mind and you will get killed if you don't make use of them. I don't really find that the UI is very readable in terms of letting me know when stuff is ready (especially the chainsaw) as all the info is tucked in tiny icons in the corner of the screen.

The story reads like Starcraft fanfic (lots of Xel-something and N'thingy), and seems to have lost all the humour that '16 had - I haven't seen any of those amazing first person animations of Doom Guy just demonstrably not giving a shit about things people were telling him.

But yeah, early days still - the moment to moment combat/general game feel is as good as ever, so its not like I'm not having fun

• Upvote 5

36 minutes ago, pledge said:

Did 2016 have a blaster with unlimited ammo? Feels like I’m wasting shotgun shells on grunts because you don’t seem to be able to just punch them.

The pistol was infinite ammo, yeah.

You've got these shambling, barely animated corpses walking around and your hulking doom guy punches them and they slide around like they got skates on. Meanwhile they hit you with a feeble slap and you lose a bunch of health. What.

Mancubus is the fucking worst. Twenty shotgun rounds which is a mix of explosive shell and regular hits and they still keep coming. You've got all these fuckin flyin gargoyles throwing green shit everywhere, a revenant tootin' rockets at you and a fucking spider with a face melting plasma gun all gunning for you at the same time, you got fuck all ammo, you can't melee anyone into a glory kill state so you're running around waiting for the chainsaw to refuel like a pound shop titanfall pilot because chainsaw pick ups are also so bloody rare you'll rarely get 3x to one hit the bigger monsters.

Doom 2016 was a pure power trip even and Doom Eternal feels like you're made out of porcelain. Might just knock it down to the easiest difficulty and crack on with it because it's not any fun at all. Wolfenstein 2 had exactly the same problem. Doom 2016 on Ultra Violence was *chefs kiss* in regard to challenge and difficulty.

Sounds like i'm ragging on the game pretty hard, but in all honesty you can tell it's very well made, it looks great and performs wonderfully, but bugger me the difficulty is completely fubar. In a game that's meant to make you feel exhilarated from a combat encounter I'm just gritting my teeth and trying to get it over and done with instead. Add in these constant and rather poor platforming sections that Titanfall 2 did better years ago and it's a pretty deflating experience. 

• Upvote 2

Good review/thoughts, @bradigor.

The atmos around this game is weird. I watched review vids from LGR and Gman (who are normally very reliable to be honest), but for a start I noticed much of 'their' gameplay footage was recycled. I'm thinking they were only allowed to use stock footage from Bethesda, which is unfortunate.

Secondly, both downplayed the story and lore being intrusive, which lots of players are mentioning, and also the platforming sections. The reviews are ecstatic too, and I'm looking at the game play and seeing questionable things, such as there being no pistol and infinite ammo to keep dmg ticking over/keepaway/stun lock whilst you sort out replenishment.

I dunno, looks decent enough rather than a masterpiece, and I'm happy now to wait until the hype cools before jumping-in.

2 hours ago, Retroguy said:

Anyone got their Xbox key from CDKeys yet? Still waiting on mine...

I've got my deluxe one. No pre-order stuff though.

What the fuck is this Bethesda.net shit I’ve been greeted with upon loading?

Fuck offffffff. Same thing happened when they released old Doom on the switch. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, misterSquare said:

I'm only two levels in but there are already a lot of abilities/perks/alt-fire modes to keep in mind and you will get killed if you don't make use of them. I don't really find that the UI is very readable in terms of letting me know when stuff is ready (especially the chainsaw) as all the info is tucked in tiny icons in the corner of the screen.

It feels a lot like the combat system in the Arkham games as they went on. They had a very simple and complete feeling combat system in Arkham Asylum which they just kept adding stuff to and by the time you got to Arkham Knight it felt quite bloated and there were moves which felt quite redundant.

Regarding letting you know when stuff is ready, I totally agree. A lot of the new weapon mods don't seem to have cooldowns, as far as I can tell. You can just keep shooting sticky bombs from your shotgun until the cows come home, and they only cost 1 shotgun shell each. There's loads of stuff in the UI which is utterly meaningless to me.

• Upvote 1

I'm so tempted getting this, but I never finished Doom 2016 so I dont know what to do. Had a look at the steam reviews and wasn't disappointed

My girlfriend left me because I spend 90 bucks for this game instead of taking her to a fine dining at McDonalds.
But it doesn't matter.
Women are temporary,
But Doom is Eternal.

• Upvote 1

So far seems a bit harder than the 2016 game. Not sure if I approve of the splitting of glory kills and chainsaw killing between health/ammo. 

14 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Anyone with an OLED changed their HDR settings? I’ve put HDR brightness up to 13. 

I tried putting it to 10 and put it back to the default of 7, it really fucks with the rest of the lighting. It's not just adjusting the peak brightness like it is in some other games.

7 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I tried putting it to 10 and put it back to 7, it really fucks with the rest of the lighting. It's not just adjusting the peak brightness like it is in some other games.

Really? I've compared a few scenes and it looks fine to me. All detail is preserved, plenty of darkness in the shadows, etc.

12 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

So far seems a bit harder than the 2016 game. Not sure if I approve of the splitting of glory kills and chainsaw killing between health/ammo. 

I think they're trying to get you chainsawing more, but it's quite annoying because you often don't have enough fuel to use it and it just ends up being you chainsawing grunts on a timer.

Whisper it, but I'm getting serious Halo 2 vibes from this so far. An overstuffed sequel to something pure that takes the weird decision to double down on things the original was applauded for not having. But the combat's still good, and the increased emphasis on enemy deformation and localised damage gives me House of the Dead vibes.

On the flip side the UI is hideous compared to the previous game, not sure what happened there (saving space in the RAM?), and the complete lack of ammo is just weird. I get it what they're going for, it's to encourage the use of the chainsaw mechanic, but that worked fine in original game without starving the player of any other sources. Practically you'll use your chainsaw, run out of ammo again almost immediately, and then spend 20 seconds hopping around waiting for it to recharge. Also so far the map design seems almost completely linear, rather than the old-school labyrinths of the previous game.

The cutscenes showing you which door has opened after each encounter feel more DMC than Doom.

• Upvote 3

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks the UI is horrible. The future tech/Mars aesthetic of the first game was so much better than this vomit green cultist stuff.

I'm glad it's not just be being a negative nancy. When I was playing yesterday I had to hide in a shop with the chainsaw out waiting for it to recharge because you are completely powerless otherwise. I though hang on a minute this is meant to be fucking DOOM, I should be out there shanking them fools with my arm blade if there's no ammo left, not waiting for a cooldown. The lack of damage through regular melee is a real headscratcher, don't know if you'll get an upgrade later on that sorts this out, but it's bonkers.

I know you can do the blood punch which is a powerful melee attack...but you recharge that through glory kills...which you can't set up if you are out of ammo.

Yeah, the whole aesthetic is much less cohesive than Doom 2016. The UI, the level design, the colour palate, it all tied together really nicely in that. Eternal also doesn't seem to have whatever post-processing filter they were using before, it's a lot more crisp and contrasty which lends it a vague 00's PC game look. Everything is much busier and harder to read on the whole.

This is bizarre. It doesn’t feel like a sequel to Doom 2016. It feels like the sequel to a sequel to that game, which I never played. This is what I remember about the plot (what there was of it) in the last one.

You’re a mysterious bloke (hinted to be to original Doom Guy in various collectibles) who wakes up on Mars after a portal to hell was opened and demons slaughtered everyone. So far, so Doom. You complete objectives, like find the thing to power the other thing, which are flimsy excuse for shooting demons in the face. At the end it turns out the shady robot dude you’ve been helping is (surprise, surprise) not on the up and up and imprisons you with a sequel hook that the next one will be set on Earth like the original Doom 2.

I’m not taking crazy pills right? That was about it?

This one opens and now you live in a flying castle orbiting earth (not really a spoiler, this is the opening 5 seconds) and there’s all this guff about fantasy LotR style kings, and space legislation which mean you shouldn’t be doing this and that. It talks about and introduces characters like you should already know who are they. Like they’re talking about Han Solo or someone everybody will be deeply familiar with. Every log you find is shit like this:

”When Archdeacon Jeh’Ree Seyn’Fehld first discovered the concordance of the plains of Avrillavigne, he dispatched the 18th legion of the M’Acarena Corps to investigate. When they realised it was the site of the Tower of Fraybentos there was much consternation.’

Its all stuff along those lines. It reminds of the extracts of the awful fantasy writing by the novelist, played by F. Murray Abraham, you occasionally get in episodes of Mythic Quest.

Are there Doom books and comics they actually expected people to read of something, like 343’s Halo games?

The actual shooting is still good and it looks nice. The platforming is kind of cruddy, the controls for it feel kind of cumbersome and like they needed another pass.

What a strange game.

• Upvote 4

Where's the pre-order stuff? Got mine from amazon, but no code in box, no bethesda.net shit popping up with it. 

Yeah to be honest I don't get the story at all.

Hayden features throughout the original game and ends on a cliffhanger and now there's no mention of him, how you got away, why you have now have your own fortress of solitude etc etc

Why they didn't just go with the original doom 2 plot is another headscratcher. 'portal opens, demons spew out to earth, doomguy goes back home and kills them all, finds pet rabbit dead'

It's kinda funny that Doom 2016 came out a week after Uncharted 4 and was praised for being back to basics now Doom Eternal possibly has more story and climbing sections than Uncharted does :lol:

30 minutes ago, Harsin said:

This is bizarre. It doesn’t feel like a sequel to Doom 2016. It feels like the sequel to a sequel to that game, which I never played. This is what I remember about the plot (what there was of it) in the last one.

You’re a mysterious bloke (hinted to be to original Doom Guy in various collectibles) who wakes up on Mars after a portal to hell was opened and demons slaughtered everyone. So far, so Doom. You complete objectives, like find the thing to power the other thing, which are flimsy excuse for shooting demons in the face. At the end it turns out the shady robot dude you’ve been helping is (surprise, surprise) not on the up and up and imprisons you with a sequel hook that the next one will be set on Earth like the original Doom 2.

I’m not taking crazy pills right? That was about it?

This one opens and now you live in a flying castle orbiting earth (not really a spoiler, this is the opening 5 seconds) and there’s all this guff about fantasy LotR style kings, and space legislation which mean you shouldn’t be doing this and that. It talks about and introduces characters like you should already know who are they. Like they’re talking about Han Solo or someone everybody will be deeply familiar with. Every log you find is shit like this:

”When Archdeacon Jeh’Ree Seyn’Fehld fist discover the concordance of the plains of Avrillavigne, he dispatched the 18th legion of the M’Acarena Corps to investigate. When they realised it was the site of the Tower of Fraybentos there was much consternation.’

Its all stuff along those lines. It reminds of the extracts of the awful fantasy writing, by the novelist  played by F. Murray Abraham, you occasionally get in episodes of Mythic Quest.

Are there Doom books and comics they actually expected people to read of something, like 343’s Halo games?

The actual shooting is still good and it looks nice. The platforming is kind of cruddy, the controls for it feel kind of cumbersome and like they needed another pass.

What a strange game.

Nope, you're bang on. I literally just finished a replay of Doom 2016 last night as well, which makes the tonal shift even more jarring.

It's like they've tried to sneak a Quake reboot into their Doom sequel. The levels themselves feel like a bizarre mashup of Dead Space 2, Too Human and Halo 4, all with a sprinkling of 90s FPS platforming tropes (random fireballs to dodge, electric platforms to jump, etc). Titanfall 2 it aint.

I think what I find strangest is that literally nobody asked for this. Does it have the same creative director?

Got about a level and a half in. Certainly feels different to 2016, very hectic. Felt like there was a pretty overwhelming amount of mods and power-ups thrown at you in a short space of time too. Much more of a focus on hit-points here. Not sure if I like the increased usage of the chainsaw either, I liked it being brought out for special occasions in the last game. Early days though, but it's a bit off right now.

Game runs amazing though, it's very pretty and the damage visualisation on the demons is very well done. Load times are super quick too (Stadia version) which was definitely a bugbear in the original.

Oh wow.

Just started playing this on PC.

I went with knightmare mode, maxish settings, and I've got a reasonble PC - i5, GTX 1070.

This game is honestly incredible. It looks great, and I'm running at 4k with details basically maxed out, and it's one of the smoothest games I've ever played, and if you know PC hardware, my system is way under par for playing games at max detail in 4k. This smoothness compliments the game so well with it's fast paced nature, I'm guessing they specifically designed it to be like this. I don't know what they've done, but I've never played a game this nice looking, that's even half this framerate...

Also, it's brutal, it's very much like the original, the monsters, the speed, the weapons. The caveat it, I've obviously only played a small amount of the game. But so far, it's awesome!