Doom Eternal - iD Tech 7, Huge Maps, Invade Other Players' Campaigns

57 minutes ago, Wroth said:

Thanks Chief Inspector Fun of the fun police.

You don't get to be Chief Inspector by letting trumpets on demons slide. Next thing you know they'll be putting Sarah Connor in Gears of War.

Trumpets aside, and ignoring all the expanded lore and story stuff which I'm not sure how I feel about, I think the combat looks amazing. Having the grappling hook and being able to zip around is inspired. If the executions were lifted from Ninja Gaiden, the grappling hook is straight out of Devil May Cry.

Just was watched a new video from Alanah Pearce showing some PC gameplay for the game, she mentions the review embargo for the game lifts Tuesday 17th at 7am PT (which I think is 2pm for us). Not seen it mentioned before.
I've time stamped the video below:

A few worrying mentions of borked platforming elements across a couple of the reviews but generally extremely positive. Looking forward to it!

4 minutes ago, Hass said:

A few worrying mentions of borked platforming elements across a couple of the reviews but generally extremely positive. Looking forward to it!

:blah:The nightmare of Turok's platform sections have come to haunt me

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Not even a recommended from EG . Which sometime s means the game is going to be tremendous if it’s Martin ( H:ZD) . But not so much when it’s Edwin (although he didn't give one to Outer Worlds either). 

3 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Not even a recommended from EG . Which sometime s means the game is going to be tremendous if it’s Martin ( H:ZD) . But not so much when it’s Edwin (although he didn't give one to Outer Worlds either). 

So kind of 6 or 7 on the scale. 

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

So kind of 6 or 7 on the scale. 

Yeah, Its running at 87 on metacritc though FWIW. I do kinda wish they hadn't gone down the cosmetics route ad heavy on the story though. Part of the appeak for Doom 2016 was stripping away all the chinz.

• Upvote 1

The Doom64 port that you can get for the PC that unpacks the Doom64 rom (you do own that rom of course!) is utterly brilliant. Pretty much Zdoom but with nice levels and sounds.

If you don't crack, do ensure you get that instead!

34 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Outer Worlds was very good. His review of this is a bit weird and sex obsessed. 

20 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Outer Worlds was very good. His review of this is a bit weird and sex obsessed. 

Yeah it is ( I’m playing though it now ) . No accounting for taste eh!

14 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

What a strange review by Eurogamer...

They seem to be criticising it on the grounds that it is Doom 2016 again with some cool new props. Which is exactly what I, and anyone who enjoyed the 2016 game, want. The combat is still in place, and that’s what I’m mainly interested in.

• Upvote 1

I thought Edwin was the only person who called Outer Worlds right. That DOOM review is bizarre though. Weirdly sexual and really focused on how little he liked the story. Still, as I say, I thought he'd got Outer Worlds bang wrong for the first few hours before it became a bit of a trudge so maybe I'll spend all of this one annoyed at the cutscenes with a boner on. Who's to say?

The more I see if this, the weirdly less I want to play it :(

I really liked 2016 but this feels line that step further away into something else that I can't put my finger on.

I've no doubt it's great, but it kinda feels like Doom has left me behind :(

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1